As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Reportage

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Reportage

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    Ahhhhh offensive gamer names. Every time I read one, I can feel my brain cells die. I definitely know that my younger self would laugh at tags like that, back in the day.

Which reminds me, need to change my clantags from "CMEN" at some point.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I keep seeing Hearthstone names that I want to report, but the process is confusing and I think it involves friending the person. I don't ever want to give the impression that I want to be friends with someone named "N-WORDFACTORY"

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Slightly relevant: I had to modify my NNID because apparently "metroidkillah" is inherently offensive and therefore not allowed.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    The first 'be' from Tycho should be 'to'.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I keep seeing Hearthstone names that I want to report, but the process is confusing and I think it involves friending the person. I don't ever want to give the impression that I want to be friends with someone named "N-WORDFACTORY"

Is Hearthstone as full of Naga-as-the-N-word is WoW was? The fact Blizzard wouldn't crush those people really annoyed me.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The first 'be' from Tycho should be 'to'.

To be or not to be?

Linktm on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Nemrex wrote: »
    Ahhhhh offensive gamer names. Every time I read one, I can feel my brain cells die. I definitely know that my younger self would laugh at tags like that, back in the day.

Which reminds me, need to change my clantags from "CMEN" at some point.

That's too bad. I find the older I get, the more appreciation I have for a well crafted offensive name. The less sense it makes the better. They're like little bits of your favorite batshit insane cartoon, except crafted out of racism.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I spent a great deal of time crafting awful names for supervillains in City Of Villains.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

in Return to Castle Wolfenstein I named my nazi guy "jewkiller". they made me change it. not that I had any real attachment to the name but I mean... really? I'm on the nazi team, that's what nazis did, they killed jews. like, a ton.. it's a game about nazis and shooting and killing with guns. and flamethrowers. it's not a fantasy RPG or pokey-man card game or sci-fi space shooter...

jwalk on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »

in Return to Castle Wolfenstein I named my nazi guy "jewkiller". they made me change it. not that I had any real attachment to the name but I mean... really? I'm on the nazi team, that's what nazis did, they killed jews. like, a ton.. it's a game about nazis and shooting and killing with guns. and flamethrowers. it's not a fantasy RPG or pokey-man card game or sci-fi space shooter...

Making you change your name was the right call, definitely.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

That's gross dude. It's not even clever or funny.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

you can't be serious about that.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    SpawnKampfer

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

A name doesn't become more or less offensive based on the genre of video game.

• Options
    Train DodgerTrain Dodger Registered User regular
    Oh man, offensive names. They used to be way, way more extreme back in the late nineties and early aughts. I remember this one guy I always used to run into while playing Team Fortress Classic named "Captain Clitoris". I always pictured a caped superhero who gives insanely good oral.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Would naming his character after an actual real life Nazi from the time period be considered offensive*?

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    it's a game where the end boss is literally Mecha-Hitler, it's not meant to be taken seriously

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Allowing players to even play a nazi in the first place is probably offensive.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Would naming his character after an actual real life Nazi from the time period be considered offensive*?

Oskar SoHighler

• Options
    edited January 2016

To me running around as XxVegeta_HitlerxX or Headshot_Himmler doesn't quite invoke the same reaction as Jewkiller.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Is Hearthstone as full of Naga-as-the-N-word is WoW was? The fact Blizzard wouldn't crush those people really annoyed me.

naga, please.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Well this Fucking went places :(

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

To me running around as XxVegeta_HitlerxX or Headshot_Himmler doesn't quite invoke the same reaction as Jewkiller.
    That wasn't really the question, but OK.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I really wish I could find the WoW forum post where a player called Hebrew Hammer asked people to stop calling the ability Beacon of Light by its popular nickname, Bacon of Light.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    ziddersroofurry was warned for this.
    bleh I'm sorry I ever made this comment :/

ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    it's a game where the end boss is literally Mecha-Hitler, it's not meant to be taken seriously

You are not Mecha-Hitler. You are a real life person that others are playing the game with. Many of whom the term jew killer is intensely offensive given their own personal backgrounds and histories.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I find context tends to matter but in general, as someone who plays a bunch of historic, grognardy games, people naming themselves after historical figures almost always do it as the 'wrong' side as a way to represent their shitty opinions in non-offensive ways or to be just on the edge of good taste so they can cause a fuss when someone takes their name as not appropriate.

Kinda like how you see people fly the Confederate flag 'to remember the history' but often there's a shittier motive about too.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

The classic the-offensive-thing-I-said-was-just-a-joke-you're-wrong-to-be-offended defense.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    I mean, if you're fighting mecha-Hitler I'd posit getting upset over a username is kinda pointless. There must be someplace in the world for people with that sort of humor, and that game seems as good a place as any.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    I mean, if you're fighting mecha-Hitler I'd posit getting upset over a username is kinda pointless. There must be someplace in the world for people with that sort of humor

Yes

the trash bin of history

• Options
    bwanie wrote: »

That wasn't really the question, but OK.

not?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    I mean, if you're fighting mecha-Hitler I'd posit getting upset over a username is kinda pointless. There must be someplace in the world for people with that sort of humor

Yes

the trash bin of history

Damn.

It's just wierd to me how much this matters to some people. The entire European side of my family save 1 was wiped out in concentration camps, but I can still see a silly name in a silly game and laugh. And yet we throw out this "trash bin of history" rhetoric, mostly because people like me might be offended by it?

I hate to think we're at the point where someone can't play a silly nazi game with a silly over-the-top name without the locals breaking out torches and pitchforks.

• Options
    jsp69jsp69 Registered User new member
    I had a Gnome warrior in WoW that I RP'd as a berserker. My Guild was called the Knocturnal Knights, and so I decided to call my berserker Gnome "Knuttjob". Knuttjob was in his 40's when I was messaged by an Admin that his name was offensive, I was going to be logged out, and in order to continue playing him I would have to rename him. A few seconds later I had been logged out, and I found myself staring at Knuttjob on the character selection screen with a pop-up window telling me to rename him.

To this day I still don't know what prompted someone to report the name, or why it was deemed offensive. If you think it may have been the KKK of his name & Guild initials combined, ALL of my WoW characters' names began with K, so they were all KKK, and yet Knuttjob was the only one reported.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    jsp69 wrote: »
    I had a Gnome warrior in WoW that I RP'd as a berserker. My Guild was called the Knocturnal Knights, and so I decided to call my berserker Gnome "Knuttjob". Knuttjob was in his 40's when I was messaged by an Admin that his name was offensive, I was going to be logged out, and in order to continue playing him I would have to rename him. A few seconds later I had been logged out, and I found myself staring at Knuttjob on the character selection screen with a pop-up window telling me to rename him.

To this day I still don't know what prompted someone to report the name, or why it was deemed offensive. If you think it may have been the KKK of his name & Guild initials combined, ALL of my WoW characters' names began with K, so they were all KKK, and yet Knuttjob was the only one reported.

Now I am thinking of the South Park game where Token, as a member of Cartman's "Koopa Keep Kingdom" faction, busts down the door of the elf-kids' house/fortress and proudly announces: "We're the KKK!"

Which still almost makes me fall out of my chair thinking about it even now.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Randrew Jackson is one of the worst Randos; The reason for his Destiny idling is that he's busy killing native populations for their territory and creating depressions through misguided monetary policy.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »

Yes

the trash bin of history

Damn.

It's just wierd to me how much this matters to some people. The entire European side of my family save 1 was wiped out in concentration camps, but I can still see a silly name in a silly game and laugh. And yet we throw out this "trash bin of history" rhetoric, mostly because people like me might be offended by it?

I hate to think we're at the point where someone can't play a silly nazi game with a silly over-the-top name without the locals breaking out torches and pitchforks.

Many people aren't as ready to laugh about this topic as you are.

• Options
    SquinSquin Registered User new member
    What would it mean Bebe?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I've never seen it, but I've only ever seen a handful of bad names, I think people don't bother as much with offensive names since most people don't even notice what their opponent is called. It's not like you can meaningfully interact with them anyway.