As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yeah when I was trying to figure out what game to buy the other night (ended up with Tales from the Borderlands) someone mentioned a Game of Thrones rpg that'd I'd never even heard of. Saw it on Humble Bundle, spent $6....ended up with 10 new games.

Even when you only want one, sometimes 9 freeloaders tag along.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ready for a good laugh? Steam says I have 43 games in my account. 43! Could you imagine owning such a vast collection.

Seriously though, this is far too many games. I only played about a dozen of them and the rest never even got installed. It appears as though there is no way to trade/sell them either. :(

Multiply this by ten or twenty and you'll see how some people in the thread feel about their libraries. Which forumer was it that was talking about how as a kid they wished that one day they would have more games to play than they had time to play them, and that their childhood dream had become their adult nightmare?

Steam sales and dirt cheap bundles will add games to your account so fast it'll feel like a blur. It is nuts sometimes.

I went from 70 or so games to over 100 ( i think close to 120 last count?) steam sales can be brutal.
    I regret Nothing.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    2008 was my first sale with a steady paycheck. I spent over $100 on games.

I'm ashamed I spent that much for so few games.

Re: LLTQ. I had fun committing to one branch of studies and emotion. Rather than trying to min/max, I rolled as hard as I could along that route. I think it was magic......oh yeah....
    Upstart: Fuck you, bitch! I've come for my revenge and my family's honor.
    ZAP!
    Me: And there you have both, anyone else want to take a shot at me?

Ending was incomplete but I lived.

Re: FTL

I wish sunless sea windowed as well as this game because I like these sort of games running in one window while I alt tab to another.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    After watching a couple of streamers do hard-mode win streaks of every ship, I can safely say that the amount of bullshit RNG in FTL is very, very small. You just need experience to know what information to look for to make a very high percentage of runs winnable (and some days you get 4 Flak Cannons and you chuckle about how you ever thought this game was challenging).

edit: Further on steam libraries, I think a lot of the regulars here have been active in the big Steam sales for years, back when they really were crazy (80% off publisher catalogs, $2 games on the front page down from $15, bundle-packs of ordinarily singularly sold games etc.). With the bi-annual sales finally coming to its senses in its race to the bottom, I don't think new-comers to this thread will experience the same backlog explosions we had 3-4 years ago.

Unless its their birthday. Then they're fucked.

I've had Steam for a long time, just never really made it my primary gaming source (had the 360 for that for the longest time). As I just upgraded to a new PC, I'm making Steam my primary game source and the Wii U/NX my Nintendo fix. Fortunately, I was able to avoid Humble Bundles and Steam sales for the longest time...looks like that time is up though.

And I'm in the clear for the rest of the year with my birthday being two weeks ago. The big 40 here! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    And special thanks to @SmokeStacks for the 3D Realms Anthology collection.

Wait, that almost doubled my game count from 43 to 75?! WTH? :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

@Smokestacks is history's greatest monster.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

You had the "Kick ass and chew bubblegum" quote on your Steam page, so I figured you were a fan of either Duke Nukem or Rowdy Roddy Piper, so I thought you might like getting some Duke Nukem games with some others thrown in. If you like 2D platformers/shooters, definitely give BioMenace a shot, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ..... that moment when you realize you didn't really have Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed after all and there's still better-looking it can get. :o

Turns out that the fancy hair has THREE settings - off, on, and "very high" and I only had it "on"... Also, I had shadows only on high, not very high.

It was already stupidly gorgeous!

My brain, it hurts.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

You had the "Kick ass and chew bubblegum" quote on your Steam page, so I figured you were a fan of either Duke Nukem or Rowdy Roddy Piper, so I thought you might like getting some Duke Nukem games with some others thrown in. If you like 2D platformers/shooters, definitely give BioMenace a shot, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Not a big Nukem fan (Rowdy Roddy on the other hand), but I'll give BioMenace a go. Fun fact, one of my best friends did the animation in Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. Now he does animation for Destiny. Always fun to see where super successful people begin. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    ..... that moment when you realize you didn't really have Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed after all and there's still better-looking it can get. :o

Turns out that the fancy hair has THREE settings - off, on, and "very high" and I only had it "on"... Also, I had shadows only on high, not very high.

My brain, it hurts.
    From what I've seen, the hair physics are pretty bad though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

My brain, it hurts.

What? No. It's freaking amazing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

My brain, it hurts.

I mean, it's mostly impressive, but the clipping is still awful! And that's the point of hair physics. So there ISN'T clipping.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Darkest Dungeon might be the first game I've tried in a while that really makes me want to get up and scratch that "Do a LP" itch. Especially on the ultra hard mode that only gives you 91 weeks (91 expeditions effectively) to clear all 4 levels of the Darkest Dungeon (this is NOT an easy task).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options

My brain, it hurts.

I mean, it's mostly impressive, but the clipping is still awful! And that's the point of hair physics. So there ISN'T clipping.

Riiiight... Because regular hair doesn't clip?

It's not about making it non-clippy anyway. That would require collision detection on every single strand and would make your PC turn into a puddle of goo as it renders its 1 frame per second. It's about making it look and move like real hair instead of a single clump. And on that, it succeeds brilliantly.

Besides which, the clipping it does have isn't "awful" anyway. It's barely noticeable most of the time. Certainly a ton better than in TR2013 where it would happily shove the whole ponytail right through her neck if the wind blew that way.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    @UseR2006 dropping a 5-pack of games on me. Thanks!

401ho8viodhg.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    2013's TressFX were so godawful I just turned that setting off entirely and went with the normal stuff. It looked terrible. In this one at least it works better.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Darkest Dungeon might be the first game I've tried in a while that really makes me want to get up and scratch that "Do a LP" itch. Especially on the ultra hard mode that only gives you 91 weeks (91 expeditions effectively) to clear all 4 levels of the Darkest Dungeon (this is NOT an easy task).

Its hard enough on normal with only 91 turns it would truly drive someone to insanity

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Ready for a good laugh? Steam says I have 43 games in my account. 43! Could you imagine owning such a vast collection.

Seriously though, this is far too many games. I only played about a dozen of them and the rest never even got installed. It appears as though there is no way to trade/sell them either. :(

Multiply this by ten or twenty and you'll see how some people in the thread feel about their libraries. Which forumer was it that was talking about how as a kid they wished that one day they would have more games to play than they had time to play them, and that their childhood dream had become their adult nightmare?

Steam sales and dirt cheap bundles will add games to your account so fast it'll feel like a blur. It is nuts sometimes.

ma4uau4j56e9.gif

The reaction the steam thread strives for. (don't worry he's ok, he froze to death) He won't see any more steam sales.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    All I wanted to do was play some Skyrim tonight and the damn thing crashes almost immediately and I have no idea how to fix it. I've already done two clean installs.

• Options
    0bl2fkbl2r5c.png

@Houn dropping some Spec Ops love. I'm guessing I'll be over 100 titles before I know it.

1.PNG 264.9K
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »
    All I wanted to do was play some Skyrim tonight and the damn thing crashes almost immediately and I have no idea how to fix it. I've already done two clean installs.

Did you check the folder in "documents" that stores your *.ini files for Skyrim?

• Options
    Posted too soon apparently....

133lyv0hrsoi.png

@Houn doubling down on the gifting.

2.PNG 171.1K
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Still terribad at Risk of Rain. But I'm learning, with the help of some friends. Desperately need to unlock some new characters.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Risk of Rain is a lot of fun.

So hey don't know if you guys are aware but FUCK is The Witcher 3 long.

I am now level almost-7. I've played for like 30 hours. It's a good game so far though. I wish the investigations were a bit more fallible, though. Like they're pretty much just "look at everything, talk to everyone." If there were more of a chance to mis-prepare based on a mistaken assumption it'd be neat.

That and I feel like blade oils should just be something you apply that last like 30 minutes and can't be changed. Re-applying is silly. It should be a "I know what monsters I'm about to face" bonus, not something that makes me pop open the inventory every few minutes.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

Did you check the folder in "documents" that stores your *.ini files for Skyrim?

I did. Turned out to be a .dll that was causing it...I guess. Deleted it, reinstalled, it worked. Then I went back through and worked out each mod (previously disabled). Got past the intro but now it's time for bed :(

At least it's good to go for tomorrow!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I only have one issue with the newest Tomb Raider. The quantity of hides needed for gear upgrades seems really out of balance with the rate at which you get everything else.
    I enjoy being thorough as I work through there areas, but backtracking to go hunt deer for a half hour doesn't sound like a great time.
    Which thankfully I don't think I need any of those upgrades that badly either, I just like to fill in the boxes.
    I probably should have started this on the next harder difficulty though.

• Options
    I started to make a wishlist, but found the metric fuckton of games daunting. How are we supposed to know what's good or not? Added Valkyria Chronicles to the list only to see it was only $5. I see how this could become a problem...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Valkyria Chronicles is worth way more than $5....get it!

And I have issues with the game and it's easily worth 10x that.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I started to make a wishlist, but found the metric fuckton of games daunting. How are we supposed to know what's good or not? Added Valkyria Chronicles to the list only to see it was only $5. I see how this could become a problem...

Keep an ear to this thread and especially our resident male duck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Generally the thing on the Steam store page that lists feedback is pretty accurate--if a game has "mostly positive" or "very positive" feedback, it's generally pretty good. You can also do research on the game, usually through looking up youtube videos.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I don't "browse" Steam. It's a fruitless endeavor. Occasionally something on the front page will catch my eye, or a sale will get me to peruse the deals, but generally, I hear about games from outside sources (friends, media, this thread) and then seek them out. There's too much crap to paw through, and I own more than I'll ever play already, so I feel little need to expend time seeking needles in haystacks.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've used the discovery queue enough that it's useless to me.

However, I have the problem of thinking "what if my tastes change?"

There's no way to remove games from "Not Interested." So minecraft-survival-zombie free to play mmo mobas are the only things which get put in that category.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I bet Steam is too smart to permanently banish a game to a place you won't see it. I'm sure if you buy a game in that genre the rest will pop up.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Valkyria Chronicles is worth way more than $5....get it!

And I have issues with the game and it's easily worth 10x that.

Oh I know, that's why I got it. Still own it on PS3...in fact, it's my only PS3 disc game. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Its hard enough on normal with only 91 turns it would truly drive someone to insanity

It's nice that you don't believe I'm already there. Muahahahahahahahahaha.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @MNC Dover

Just come in here and ask for whatever wacky combination of games you really would like to see and someone will recommend it to you.

Survival Sim with a heaping dose of Tim Burton?

Robot Ninjas with super powers?

Best Murdersim? Best Stealthsim? In the same game????

First Person PC version of Double Dragon?

Lovechild of Monster Hunter and Contra?

Best World War 2 strategy game? and the one for Grocknards?

edit: Best Zombie games that remake the idea of a zombie game and succeed
    verses
    Best Zombie games that visit the tried and true tropes of zombie games and do it well.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    There are so many good turn based games on Steam right now. What does everyone think of Armello? It looks really interesting, but I've not heard anyone talk about it much. Is it any good?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    @RoyceSraphim I googled the word 'Grocknards' as I wasn't familiar with the expression, and Google tells me that out of the whole entire internet, nay, throughout all of online recorded history, the only other time it was uttered was by you in July 2015 in a Fallout thread.

I think you're the man to help me out here

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    RoyceSraphim I googled the word 'Grocknards' as I wasn't familiar with the expression, and Google tells me that out of the whole entire internet, nay, throughout all of online recorded history, the only other time it was uttered was by you in July 2015 in a Fallout thread.

I think you're the man to help me out here

Shit, I think I mean grognard.

This discussion has been closed.