As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NVidia GTX 970 Not Recognizing HDTV via HDMI Connector

So my new GTX has been working like a charm. EXCEPT whereas my old Radeon 7850 could detect my HDTV no problem via an HDMI cable and the CCC "Detect monitors" button, the NVidia control center, even with "rigorously search for TVs" on, is not finding it.

Feels like there isn't a ton to do here. All the stuff I'm finding on lesser forums is pretty useless.

Card: NVidia GTX 970
Drivers: All brand-new.
TV: Samsung
HDMI Cable: 100% functional with other computers. 30 feet, strung into the living room.

Any ideas about how I could resolve this? There's a "PC" connection on my TV, but it's a serial port, and I don't have a 30 foot serial cable with which to connect.

I didn't run down every possibility because my girlfriend and I decided to just play a game with the monitor, but I want couch co-op to be viable again!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So my new GTX has been working like a charm. EXCEPT whereas my old Radeon 7850 could detect my HDTV no problem via an HDMI cable and the CCC "Detect monitors" button, the NVidia control center, even with "rigorously search for TVs" on, is not finding it.

Feels like there isn't a ton to do here. All the stuff I'm finding on lesser forums is pretty useless.

Card: NVidia GTX 970
    Drivers: All brand-new.
    TV: Samsung
    HDMI Cable: 100% functional with other computers. 30 feet, strung into the living room.

Any ideas about how I could resolve this? There's a "PC" connection on my TV, but it's a serial port, and I don't have a 30 foot serial cable with which to connect.

I didn't run down every possibility because my girlfriend and I decided to just play a game with the monitor, but I want couch co-op to be viable again!

I hate to even ask this because it's probably too basic and you've probably already done it...buuuuuuut, have you made sure you were using the correct input mode (HDMI1, HDMI2, etc...) on your TV before you tried rigorously searching for TVs?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    No problem! It's always helpful to run down possibilities.

But, nope. TV is on HDMI 1, cable is plugged into HDMI 1. The only options on the TV not grayed out are TV, HDMI 1, and PC. PC doesn't have anything attached.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is this TV 4k resolution? I've heard of that same graphics card not working on 4k at all.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited January 2016
    Nah, not 4k, just a standard older-model 780p.

Sony KDL-40s5100.

durandal4532 on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    It might be a problem with the right monitor selected on your computer. Check your display settings before plugging it in.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    How do you mean the "right monitor selected"?

At the moment the NVidia control panel only recognizes one display, the monitor plugged into the serial port. It doesn't find the TV display. Same deal with the Windows control panel, only detects the Acer display.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wait...what do you mean by "serial port"? Out of curiosity, are you running your current monitor (the Acer) via HDMI to your video card? Or are you using a DisplayPort or DVI cable? Basically, have you tested to make sure the HDMI ports on the card itself are working fine.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    My own GTX 970 (EVGA) goes out to a Vizio 4K TV, so we can rule that out (if anything, it goes out to it too much--it tends to default to it over my monitor).

I didn't see mention of it, but have you ascertained that it's not a bad cable? That's what it sounds like, a lot of older HDMI cables, at long lengths, are less than perfect.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Wait...what do you mean by "serial port"? Out of curiosity, are you running your current monitor (the Acer) via HDMI to your video card? Or are you using a DisplayPort or DVI cable? Basically, have you tested to make sure the HDMI ports on the card itself are working fine.

I'm assuming he means VGA? i've seen more than a few people over the years call VGA serial and vice versa.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited February 2016
    Oh gosh, yes.

Oldy-style port that comes up twice a year when I connect a monitor, not oldy-style port that comes up twice a year when I need to use the keyboard in the BIOS.

Edit: Cable's fine, works with the laptop.

durandal4532 on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Are you plugging the tv into your graphics card or into the mainboard video? Where is your monitor plugged in?

LD50 wrote: »
    Are you plugging the tv into your graphics card or into the mainboard video? Where is your monitor plugged in?

This is my guess. Most (all high end) video cards don't ship with VGA. Willing to be the OP has the monitor plugged into the motherboard graphics, which is then disabling the discrete GPU, which is why the HDMI out on that isn't working.

All of the video sources need to be coming from the graphics card.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Hm, I'll check when I get home, but I'm 90% certain I've got the monitor plugged into the card...

If you can take a picture of the back of the machine, that might help. I don't know of any 970 with VGA. DVI, sure, but not VGA.

Alternatively, the cable that's plugged into the monitor, are the ends white or blue?