As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Armello is amazing. It was the last thing I was playing before I happened to read that post.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I've been hit! and I don't even know who did it.
    *snip*
    Thank you to whoever used the Anoyymous Nobody Gifting Service.

I realize this is from several pages back, but I'm pretty sure Nobody literally is nobody.

I think Geth saw the crazy gifting wars in this thread and blew a logic processor, and Nobody is the result.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    As someone who's violently allergic to MOBAs, I didn't expect to enjoy Fractured Space nearly as much as I did last night. Shame you can only party up with one other person at the moment, I hope that's something they're working on, but I managed to get a few games with my brother and a friend last night, and I guess it's mainly the spaceships doing fighting packaging that's got me, but it's really effective. Had a bunch of fun and it's one I want to play more of.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Aegeri, Armello is terrific. It's got a beautiful, hand-drawn art style (although the combat animations do reflect its small dev shop origins), especially the cards you collect throughout the game. It's got interesting and varied paths to victory, and lots of interesting decisions to make along the way. It does have a healthy does of board game RNG, though. You can be on your way to your objective only to get hit with a warp card by an opponent that takes you to the other side of the map, for example.

Very satisfying to pull off a strategy or work back into the lead from behind. Games aren't too long, which is nice, so it's possible to sit down and play a game or two. As long as the RNG effect doesn't make you want to flip tables, if the game looks like your cup of tea it probably is.

@MNC Dover, it's fun watching you thrown into the Steam deep end. :) Watching what other people are playing, either currently or historic most-played, is a great way to come across things you might be interested in wishlisting.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Aegeri, Armello is terrific. It's got a beautiful, hand-drawn art style (although the combat animations do reflect its small dev shop origins), especially the cards you collect throughout the game. It's got interesting and varied paths to victory, and lots of interesting decisions to make along the way. It does have a healthy does of board game RNG, though. You can be on your way to your objective only to get hit with a warp card by an opponent that takes you to the other side of the map, for example.

Very satisfying to pull off a strategy or work back into the lead from behind. Games aren't too long, which is nice, so it's possible to sit down and play a game or two. As long as the RNG effect doesn't make you want to flip tables, if the game looks like your cup of tea it probably is.

As someone who was on the receiving end of being dungeon warped (there are dungeons tiles that can give a variety of items, be warped, or summon a Bane) three times in a row due to my quest being on that tile (and the RNG roll triggering first), I can safely say they RNG can be absolute horseshit. When it's not it tends to be a pretty fun game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I've used the discovery queue enough that it's useless to me.

However, I have the problem of thinking "what if my tastes change?"

There's no way to remove games from "Not Interested." So minecraft-survival-zombie free to play mmo mobas are the only things which get put in that category.

You can remove games individually from "not interested" by going to the games page and toggling the "not interested" button.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So hey don't know if you guys are aware but FUCK is The Witcher 3 long.
    Took me about 300 hours to finish it playing casually.

And I'm good at RPGs.

(And I'm thinking about doing it again if the price drops enough on Steam.)

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I play lots of Boardgames and am familiar about being screwed at the last second with victory seconds away.

Pandemic Legacy, I AM LOOKING AT YOU.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There are so many good turn based games on Steam right now. What does everyone think of Armello? It looks really interesting, but I've not heard anyone talk about it much. Is it any good?

I got this one from indie box. I think it was last month's game? Still haven't opened it, but I've heard good things.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Late Day 2 PAX South update!

- Knight Squad. It's 8 player Bomberman with Knights and it's fantastic. I may have bought a few codes
    - Dreadnoght looks great. It's a class based naval space shooter. Going into beta soon.
    - Tron Run/r is totally worth the $10 EA right now. They are adding a ton when it launches in 2 weeks. It's going up after EA ends so grab it now.
    - I'm freaking tired.

To day 3!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I love that after being outed Nobody lives on as a forum anonymous gifting service. It's also a perfect cover for the account owner.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover

That list I made was for current steam games that are really popular at the moment.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover

Just come in here and ask for whatever wacky combination of games you really would like to see and someone will recommend it to you.

Survival Sim with a heaping dose of Tim Burton?

Robot Ninjas with super powers?

Best Murdersim? Best Stealthsim? In the same game????

First Person PC version of Double Dragon?

Lovechild of Monster Hunter and Contra?

Best World War 2 strategy game? and the one for Grocknards?

edit: Best Zombie games that remake the idea of a zombie game and succeed
    verses
    Best Zombie games that visit the tried and true tropes of zombie games and do it well.

I have no idea what games these descriptions are referencing. Huh!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    jclast wrote: »
    I love that after being outed Nobody lives on as a forum anonymous gifting service. It's also a perfect cover for the account owner.

You think @Madican would do that? Just make up lies on the internet. :razz:
    Houn wrote: »
    "MNC Dover"

Just come in here and ask for whatever wacky combination of games you really would like to see and someone will recommend it to you.

Survival Sim with a heaping dose of Tim Burton? Don't Starve

Robot Ninjas with super powers? Warframe

First Person PC version of Double Dragon? Shadow Warrior?

verses
    Best Zombie games that visit the tried and true tropes of zombie games and do it well.

I can guess on the first two and feel pretty confident of my guesses. Fourth one is a long-shot.

However, "Lovechild of Monster Hunter and Contra?" Which game is this? I think I want it.

Edit: Sorry MNC Dover, I didn't take out the "@" but it's gone now.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Thanks @ReverseCreations for Fairy Fencer F and it's DLC!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Steam needs to let us not update our games...

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Houn wrote: »

Survival Sim with a heaping dose of Tim Burton?

Robot Ninjas with super powers?

First Person PC version of Double Dragon?

verses

My guesses;
    Survival Sim with a heaping dose of Tim Burton: Don't Starve
    Robot Ninjas with super powers: Metal Gear Rising
    Best Murdersim? Best Stealthsim? In the same game????: Dishonored
    First Person PC version of Double Dragon: Zeno Clash
    Lovechild of Monster Hunter and Contra: Mercenary Kings
    Best World War 2 strategy game: Company of Heroes
    And the one for grognards: Hearts of Iron
    Best Zombie games that remake the idea of a zombie game and succeed: The Walking Dead
    Best Zombie games that visit the tried and true tropes of zombie games and do it well: Resident Evil

Burnage on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Wait what? Outed as what?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

@Madican

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Holy shit the "Darkest Dungeon" in Darkest Dungeon is murderous and also is clearly a massive time sink. Protip: Don't go in there unless you've killed all the previous bosses, leveled everything up to full and are fully willing to lose multiple level 6 heroes who took hours to level up there in the first place.

I am a masochist of the old school sort and while I think it's a really amazing challenge, the time investment taken if you lose heavily (and considering how lethal it is, will be often until you figure out the specific tricks it wants you to know) is really very high.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Ardent wrote: »
    So hey don't know if you guys are aware but FUCK is The Witcher 3 long.
    Took me about 300 hours to finish it playing casually.

And I'm good at RPGs.

(And I'm thinking about doing it again if the price drops enough on Steam.)

Yeah, I just flat gave up on the Witcher 3. I went in psyched coming off TW2, and while combat was better (yay drinking potions in combat again!) literally everything else was still way too clunky. I could deal with that if the game world itself didn't add to the running time, but the story took too long to get rolling and there was a lot of space between plot points. 'Open world' is just not a thing I ever wanted from the Witcher, and it compounded every problem I had with the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    anoffday wrote: »

Madican

Yep, twas Madican.

Direct Link to post quoted below
    Madican wrote: »
    I have a small announcement to make, that isn't very small at all and is actually kind of long but I think most of you will want to read it anyway.
    Well, looks like the cat's out of the bag now for the most part. Curtain's got more holes than fabric left in it so no sense hiding anymore. Yep, I'm Nobody. This is probably not a great shock to most of you.

First off I'd like to thank Drake for enabling me to pull off this mystery in the first place for as long as it went. I spoke with him in the beginning to ask for Nobody (previously known as Jack in his life as a TF2 idling account) to be allowed into the Steam group, since I know a fair few people would automatically reject his overtures at friendship if he wasn't, and the most crucial part of the plan was at the very start just getting a good number of friends to seem inconspicuous. Some were suspicious but no one really knew what Nobody was intended for. With Drake's blessing I brought Nobody into being and he kept the secret of Nobody's true identity and purpose.

From the start Nobody was intended to be an anonymous gifting account to direct at anyone who displayed class in the Steam thread. They have a tendency to retaliate when gifted, something I didn't want, so an anonymous account was the only way I'd reach them with impunity. The first friend invites I sent out was a smokescreen with the real targets among the many. I watched the Steam thread buzz about this strange new person tossing out friend invites left and right, which seemed suspicious but they were part of the Steam group so surely it must be legit right?

Once I got a good number of friends on Nobody I switched gears and began the gifting, relying on the thread to give the name momentum and ignite interest. This worked out very well, with a few hiccups along the way. Whenever someone bestowed a particularly incredible amount of class I had Nobody on hand to make a response to the gifters while concealing who was wearing the mask.

Meanwhile, as Madican I watched and observed Steam chat and the forums, picking up details on the kinds of gifts someone might want or didn't want along with some quick responses to people in chat itself, though I will admit I abused the Nobody persona a few times to gift things for my own amusement, such as giving Pixelated Pixie the Gender Bender game that the Steam thread finds such amusement in. Sorry! I think I may have also given at least one person Bad Rats.

There are several reasons I created Nobody. The biggest reason was a desire to contribute a mystery to Steam thread, something that would become entwined in its culture. I like to think I succeeded with this, smiling every time Nobody's name was mentioned with the same air as that of a boogeyman.

The second reason was that I wanted to gift, but in a way that no one would add me to a List or retaliate. Anonymous really was the only way to go here, and I swore to myself I would do everything possible to remain as such unless specifically called out with damning evidence or the facade had worn thin enough that the "secret" was pretty much out. This second scenario is what prompted the dialogue you're reading.

Third, I wanted to see what people would do with Nobody. While ideally Nobody would have remained anonymous forever, I knew I'd make mistakes along the line and at best I'd be revealed within the year by someone hunting me. Especially when I had every intention of using Nobody to do things like inflame gifting wars with false declarations of "Blame X." So I made a game of the hunt, lying and pointing people in the wrong direction, adding my false information to the mix to create confusion. Some had suspicions of me after a while but no one had the evidence for a solid conviction. It was when people talked to Nobody that I was hard-pressed to keep the secret, since I'm not particularly good at playing the long con and avoiding saying too much. More than once I gave away too much info in my opinion, particularly every time I mentioned Nobody was little more than a mask for a shadow to wear. Take a look at my Steam avatar sometime.

Nobody was hunted by quite a few people, but caught by only a couple. Here's who did it and how.

- Big Classy : Big Classy was the first to discover the identity of Nobody sometime after Thanksgiving. I remember it because I'd gotten home from the week at my parents' and was tired. I initially sought a way to gift him a PSN gift card but this was stymied by a lack of address. I queried chat about something, I forget whether it was about the address or a card option, and then when I was unable to find a way I ended up tossing a Steam game at him, foolishly lamenting how I was unable to send what I really wanted to. He scrolled up through the history, found my chat posts, and put 2+2 together to catch me, though he did agree to keep the secret so I could continue to be Nobody.

- Isorn : Isorn was the first true hunter to catch Nobody and would have been the first person to find out who I was had I not bungled up with Big Classy, who informed me how close Isorn was to finding out with literally two names on his list. I attempted to feed him some misinformation but it was for naught. He'd found me through some very impressive Google-Fu, using the previous Jack name of the Nobody account as well as the name from the email, which I hadn't realized displayed to everyone Nobody gifted and to this day served as the single biggest weakpoint to the secret since it's my real name, to discover the old forum I used to frequent where my signature held a number of links, including a deviantART and information on my true name. With that, Nobody was caught and Isorn also agreed to keep it a secret, informing me occasionally of when someone was getting too close for comfort and enabling me to feed misinformation or point out a false suspect to divert attention. He's also the one who taught me the trick to sending a gift via email when particularly stubborn targets like iolo and Adellios tried to evade Nobody's friendship.

- Shade and Evi : I'd been poking at Shade for a while with Nobody, little realizing he and Evi had been keeping track of the times the gifts went and who was in chat. Little by little they narrowed it down and then snapped the trap shut on Nobody with definitive proof. Considering prior to this Shade had shown the ability to find addresses of people with their names, and had failed to find my current one, I'd believed I was safe. Like the rest, he and Evi agreed to keep my secret and enabled me to continue being Nobody.

However, it was at this point I felt the curtain was beginning to fall. While no one else conclusively caught Nobody after Shade, rumor began circulating and attempts at misdirection failed. Madican had become the prime suspect for being Nobody and the game was drawing to a close. When I made yet another mistake and destroyah87 noticed and called me out on it in a private Steam chat, though I did pull a particularly fine trick in my opinion by hiding a lie in the truth in a lie, I knew that was the death knell for Nobody's current existence. It's become quite common now when Nobody is mentioned for my name to pop up, or vice versa, which further spurred this decision to officially raise the curtain.

I'm going to cap off this little dissertation with two announcements. The first is that I have no intention to let Nobody die completely. Instead, I offer the use of Nobody as a thread-wide anonymous gifting service, where people can gift the Nobody account with the name of the intended target in the gift message and Nobody will transfer it as a 100% anonymous middleman. Even though it's known that I control the Nobody account, the real gifter would remain hidden. If anyone else had some ideas along the same lines, such as anonymous questions to another person, Nobody could be used for that too.

The second announcement is simple. Over the course of being Nobody I saw many people declare that when they found out who it was they would have their vengeance. Well sorry to say that won't be happening, because I will be refusing any and all gifts for a good long while after this post to avoid such a response. How long? Who knows, I won't be giving a set timeline. Until I feel that any potential retaliation due to Nobody has passed is the best answer you'll get. Until then I'm hitting the Decline button every time.

With that, I thank you all for letting me contribute something to this Steam thread other than horrific puns. I hope you enjoyed it. If anyone has questions about Nobody I'll do my best to answer them, but now it's back to just being Madican.

And just for fun, here's a link to the time his Anonymous Gifting Service was subverted via loophole to send himself gifts:
    Loophole!

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Here's a list of the types of games I enjoy, in case anyone has some good recommendations. Warning, my tastes boarder on the fickle and bizarre, be warned!

Genres: Action, RPG, RTS, SRPG, Puzzle, Fighting
    Some favorite games: Zelda, Fire Emblem, Starcraft, Hero Academy
    Currently playing: Hearthstone, Star Realms, and soon Fire Emblem: Fates/SF5/Killer Instinct
    Likes: Short games (5-8 hours are ideal), co-op, burst gameplay (10 minute or less sessions), unique mechanics
    Dislikes: Overly violent games, open-world games (GTA, MGS, Witcher, etc), MMOs, shallow graphics-driven games, sports, racing

Games I just loved over the past few years were: The Walking Dead (Telltale), Mark of the Ninja (a-fucking-mazing), Kingdom Rush series (so good). Hope that isn't a mission impossible set of parameters to work with. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I would absolutely recommend Darkest Dungeon actually, which is a brutal roguelike RPG but I might hold off until March and the "Town" update, which I think will fix some of the core issues in the game right now.

However, it's not a short game by any means (to complete) but can be played in short bursts of around 20-30 minutes easily.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Here's a list of the types of games I enjoy, in case anyone has some good recommendations. Warning, my tastes boarder on the fickle and bizarre, be warned!

Currently playing: Hearthstone, Star Realms, and soon Fire Emblem: Fates/SF5/Killer Instinct
    Likes: Short games (5-8 hours are ideal), co-op, burst gameplay (10 minute or less sessions), unique mechanics
    Dislikes: Overly violent games, open-world games (GTA, MGS, Witcher, etc), MMOs, shallow graphics-driven games, sports, racing

Games I just loved over the past few years were: The Walking Dead (Telltale), Mark of the Ninja (a-fucking-mazing), Kingdom Rush series (so good). Hope that isn't a mission impossible set of parameters to work with. :)

You, my friend, should get XCOM. Go to Humble Bundle and pick up the $10.30 minimum Firaxis bundle, you'll get XCOM:EU + the expansion XCOM:EW along with a bunch of other games.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You think @Madican would do that? Just make up lies on the internet. :razz:

Oh my, perish the thought.
    :rotate:

• Options

You, my friend, should get XCOM. Go to Humble Bundle and pick up the $10.30 minimum Firaxis bundle, you'll get XCOM:EU + the expansion XCOM:EW along with a bunch of other games.

I would recommend that and once you're done, you'll be able to jump straight into the sequel.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I would recommend that and once you're done, you'll be able to jump straight into the sequel.

My XCOM 2 hype levels are off the charts.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So a while ago, @JaysonFour gifted me a copy of PacMan Championship Edition DX and while I've not had time to play it, I have been meaning to return the gift. Like an elephant I have an extremely long memory, but the problem is, I have literally no idea what has happened to him. I've deliberately been reading this thread a while to try and see if he's around in here, but he hasn't logged into steam in a long time.

I would really appreciate it if someone here can tell me what has happened to him or if he's using a new account or something. I might not respond to kindness quickly, but I do have a very long memory.

Edit: All of his online activity, like achievements and such, just seems to stop towards the end of 2015.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I'd like to introduce you to Chaos Reborn. It's the latest from Julian Gollop the guy who made the original X Com games. It's pretty fantastic. Great for short sessions. The thing I really like about the game is that it's heavy on managing odds, instead of just straight deterministic gameplay. So a good, calculated gamble can really pay dividends. Add in tons of systems for adding player content from gear to full realms to adventure in and a complete multiplayer system with ladders and tournaments. The asynchronous multiplayer is especially popular. It's still under active development too with more community oriented features on the way.

• Options
    Also Julian Gollop is one of the nicest people you will ever meet if you ever get the pleasure of doing so.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I've been hit! and I don't even know who did it.
    *snip*
    Thank you to whoever used the Anoyymous Nobody Gifting Service.

I realize this is from several pages back, but I'm pretty sure Nobody literally is nobody.

I think Geth saw the crazy gifting wars in this thread and blew a logic processor, and Nobody is the result.

As others have stated above, it was found out.

I still think it is funny that the steam thread can have a meme. Explain the meme. Forget the meme. Use the Meme again, and people go huh?

I know I have missed out on things by being gone for a while.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Also Julian Gollop is one of the nicest people you will ever meet if you ever get the pleasure of doing so.

I heard they named a conference room after him or something?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I heard they named a conference room after him or something?

The device you need to use to begin the final assault and win the game is named after him in XCOM: EU. Don't know if there is a conference room named after him though...

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot I think a tiny goblin is using your Steam to message me while playing Gmod.

rbs4p4xjd2gh.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That would be Grayson... That's awesome.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

You might like Ittle Dew. It's a puzzle game that sort of has the aesthetic of Zelda.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwKZ_EOguA

You're probably best off waiting for a sale.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just beat Space Channel 5: Part 2, aka "Simon Says, the funky version" which is one of the...weirdest games I've played in a while.

Doubly so because I forgot to change the voice acting from Japanese to English, so I'm still not 100% on what happened.

Some robots were making people dance and you battle them by doing simon says while dancing funkily yourself, which frees them and then they join you as backup dancers. Also Michael Jackson is in it, playing Space Michael Jackson, and he doesn't have a Japanese voice, so he speaks in English too. Which was strange and surreal.

But the strangest thing? @Pixelated Pixie doesn't own it when the main character looks like this:
    ulala_become_more_and_more_popular_by_lehdya-d59xh1d.png

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover You may also enjoy a puzzle game that made the rounds through the thread not too long ago. The trilogy of Hexcells games, it's often available pretty cheap in a complete pack.
    And also check out Ronin. Kind of a strange puzzle/strategy style Mark of the Ninja vibe.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The original Space Channel 5 is one of the highlights from the Dreamcast. Space Michael Jackson was considered a pretty big coup for the sequel.

EDIT:
    Left, Right, Up, Down, CHU CHU CHU!!

Santa Claustrophobia on
This discussion has been closed.