As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I was not prepared to deal with some upgraded roaches. I overbuilt spines in response.

The roach push walked home. I decided to get value out of all the spines I had sitting around.

https://youtu.be/0zGdL_PnU7U

@MMMig please tell me you're proud.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    realized i was not following basetradetv on twitch until @invictus mentioned them and i went and checked. archon tournament on currently which is interesting to watch.

realized i was not following basetradetv on twitch until @invictus mentioned them and i went and checked. archon tournament on currently which is interesting to watch.

The pre-release archon tournaments were interesting.

It seemed like perfect, endless siege-tank / medivac harass was just too good if you also had perfect macro behind it.

But that was pre-release. Is anything particularly interesting about these games you're watching now?

edited January 2016
    i only caught it the end of a ZvT and then ZvZ, but was only half paying attention. it didn't appear much different from normal games from the little that i watched.

ended up laddering instead of watching.

WingedWeasel on
    i only caught it the end of a ZvT and then ZvZ, but was only half paying attention. it didn't appear much different from normal games from the little that i watched.

ended up laddering instead of watching.

Makes sense, I guess.

Maybe the lopsided early archon games were just due to people not understanding the meta as well.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    proleague starts tonight and it looks like IEM? not sure about the latter

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited February 2016
    @Variable

Sometimes, I am doing ok in ZvT macro games, and drops are not a big issue, but then after I make it to the late game with a big economy I'll eventually run out of gas any ways.

One big problem is that I'll move my army incautiously and then lose a bunch of roaches for free. Which, well, I just need to wake up and be careful.

I'm thinking, though, that I need to work lurkers and corruptors into my endgame.

MMM can't do so well if corruptors are in the mix, I figure.

And lurkers will give me some area control to stop the terran from so easily walking into good aggressive positions.

kedinik on
    i am still not entirely sure what to do in ZvT. i lost a game earlier today where my opponent just massed tanks and liberators. i kept expecting drops or something and never scouted until much later than i should have. ended up expanding a bunch and tried to use ravagers appropriately but apparently i can't use them correctly. continually end up losing big chunks of my army to bad engagements.

ultras are beastly these days, if you can get to them

but yeah corruptors can mess up medivacs which makes the bio way less useful. especially if each drop leads to losing 1-2 medivacs instead of keeping them and having a fleet by the time a big engagement comes

Er, *lurkers, I meant. Ravagers are already my ZvT go-to.

hero vs snute makes disruptors look insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane pvz

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I was not prepared to deal with some upgraded roaches. I overbuilt spines in response.

The roach push walked home. I decided to get value out of all the spines I had sitting around.

https://youtu.be/0zGdL_PnU7U

@MMMig please tell me you're proud.

A tear or two may have slowly ran down my face.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    I watched TLO's stream yesterday.

He seems to have exceptionally smooth mechanics.

Maybe he's not strictly speaking the fastest of the fast, but he just seems to flow so effortlessly from one task to the next without pausing.

*slowly injects three hatcheries*

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Fun way to brush up on my Spanish.

Por ejemplo: "Claramente is a timing!"

Whoa, disruptor balls can go through forcefields? FFd ramps seems to be a pretty rough defense to get through.. :(

Panda4You wrote: »
    Whoa, disruptor balls can go through forcefields? FFd ramps seems to be a pretty rough defense to get through.. :(

I think ravagers and disruptors are both intended to be micro-intensive artillery that make sentries partially obsolete.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I believe he's saying it's hard to break the ramp when there are disruptor balls coming down it through forcefields, not that it's hard to defend the ramp when there are disruptor balls going up it.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Oh that makes sense.

just held off a roach/queen/nydus rush with 3 fast bases

oh man that was exhilarating. I've held some strong timings so far but generally all ins are super new and strong and usually from protoss so I've just fold but damn. ugh that felt awesome.

holding all ins is really the game at its most fun for me, for all the complaining I do about em.

this adrenaline ruuuuuuuush

sick game between maru and zest last night. overall series wasn't as good but the first game is worth watching.

jaedong vs leenock was a sick series

edited February 2016
    Variable wrote: »
    just held off a roach/queen/nydus rush with 3 fast bases

oh man that was exhilarating. I've held some strong timings so far but generally all ins are super new and strong and usually from protoss so I've just fold but damn. ugh that felt awesome.

holding all ins is really the game at its most fun for me, for all the complaining I do about em.

this adrenaline ruuuuuuuush

I just had the inverse experience.

An Artosian-ideal, 25-minute macro game.

Overlords creeping at unclaimed bases, ravagers denying the 4th, corruptors picking off medivacs.

The last desperate push before humanity's final few warriors accepted the inevitable.

What is best in life?

kedinik on
    Default win in round one of a tournament.

cx5nqenuuds4.jpg

Do not, my friends, become addicted to vetoes. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    maps don't make that much goddamn difference, what a little weenie

• SorCSorC Registered User regular
    A lot of people would disagree with you Dhal. There are a map or two in the pool I only ever run into Zergs on.

11776-1.png
    edited February 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    maps don't make that much goddamn difference, what a little weenie

Ulrena games are fairly different from games on the other maps in the pool, and I could see the map with the big natural ramp causing headaches for non-zerg, but otherwise yeah I agree.

kedinik on
    edited February 2016
    Also, how is this guy going to make interesting mistakes if he guards his MMR like a precious treasure.

kedinik on
    there are some maps in GSL that I'm kind of shocked are there. I wish I knew the names but the one with 2 easy golds for z stood out last night

there are some maps in GSL that I'm kind of shocked are there. I wish I knew the names but the one with 2 easy golds for z stood out last night

The one with a gold third and an easy gold fourth?

I was surprised when I eventually learned that fourth was gold.

me too!

edited February 2016
    I finished watching last night's game on that gold-fourth map.

The early double-gold is strong for sure, but Byun did an impressive job of limiting gold mining with relentless aggression. It seemed to keep that game fairly even up until Byun lost most of his army to a big ultralisk flank. Never seemed to recover from that.

On the one hand, it reminded me of the big bio flank that wrecked the zerg army to guarantee Byun's eventual win in the previous game. Maybe it was just an error for Byun to stay in one place long enough for that big flank to swing around.

On the other hand, late game TvZ seems pretty rough once ~10 ultras are on the field.

The series also seemed to show, in general, how hard it can be to apply late-game pressure to zerg on a big cross-spawns map.

kedinik on
    edited February 2016
    Oh, heh.

You were talking about this later PvZ where zerg takes the gold third as his second and the gold fourth as his third.

Yeah this looks pretty good!

kedinik on
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I'm rank 4th in my diamond division right now. I kinda want to push to see if I can get into masters. Really scared at how much time this could possibly take.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    TING open korea qualifier on Basetrade, Hyun vs SoS right now.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My wife played Archon mode with me last night. It was her first taste of online play. Lets just say it didn't go so well for us and she's completely done with multiplayer against humans. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My wife played Archon mode with me last night. It was her first taste of online play. Lets just say it didn't go so well for us and she's completely done with multiplayer against humans. :)

Except for stomping your face in Hearthstone, I imagine?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    She hasn't played much HS since getting legend, so I think I'd hold my own or beat her. ;)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    I'm rank 4th in my diamond division right now. I kinda want to push to see if I can get into masters. Really scared at how much time this could possibly take.

Played for 6ish hours yesterday. Went from rank 4th, down to rank 69th, had about 15 losses in a row, and then won about 13 games in a row and ended the day at rank 22. Laddering is the silliest thing. I think I'll just stick to archon for now. Lots of fun there.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    edited February 2016
    I'm gonna put this in spoilers since the vods are free now and everyone should WATCH GSL twitch.tv/gsl/profile
    so glad taeja got through. just barely. I caught that innovation lost and am about to watch the series, as much as it will pain me, so I know whyyyyyyyyyyy.

innovation and maru are both out of gsl and SSL. new game and all but, wow.

Variable on
    I'm gonna put this in spoilers since the vods are free now and everyone should WATCH GSL twitch.tv/gsl/profile
    so glad taeja got through. just barely. I caught that innovation lost and am about to watch the series, as much as it will pain me, so I know whyyyyyyyyyyy.

innovation and maru are both out of gsl and SSL. new game and all but, wow.

Just finished watching last night's games.
    Innovation's game-five loss was heartbreaking, though it was funny to see Stork so pleasantly surprised by his own wins.

Also, speaking of Maru, I was very disappointed he lost after launching that many nukes.