As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 64-bit Question

2»

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    fogeyman wrote: »
    1. I don't see where it says that.
    2. If it does, they're wrong. They often are about little things like this. I'm 99% sure.

Either way, Home Basic is a shitty deal. Home Premium or Ultimate are where it's at, Home Premium if you have to pay full price.

How can you not see it? Click the link. Top of the page, directly to the right.

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

Its under that big thing that says disclaimer. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it says it right there. And that is enough to make me not want to purchase it.
    Ah, see that's different. Once a key is associated with a computer, it can't be installed on any other. That's totally accurate. This disc, however, includes three keys, one for each computer.

And just to reiterate because this is really important: no matter what ends up being true, don't buy Home Basic. Ever. Doesn't matter how cheap it is, it's just not worth any amount of money. Even free. XP Pro is better than Vista Home Basic.

Okay, that's not entirely true, but you're denying yourself some of the neatest features of Vista by going with Home Basic. And it's not like Premium costs significantly more.

Hell its cheaper.

Shogun on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not certain, but I think that Newegg link for Vista 64-bit Home is actually a 3-pack; that is, they're selling three copies of Vista. (The "for system builders" makes sense here; if you're selling computers, then buying Vista in bulk makes sense.)

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vista versions buying guide. Of these, which do you care about? The first two of the Home Premium features that Home Basic doesn't have. They're wonderful in Vista. Read the article. It's dated, but it's still accurate.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My dad runs 64-bit vista premium on his computer, and we've yet to have a driver problem/etc. Max and modo run like a dream on it(Though that may just be because of the specs).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vista x64 was fine for me until I added another 2GB of ram (I run multiple environments using virtualization software). Now, a few apps and some of my games are giving me grief. Copy protection schemes like Starforce and SecuROM are spotty, and some games won't start at all. Sometimes it is possible to get around it by enabling large address aware, and other times they just won't run no matter what.

stigweard on
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    have fun browsing the web with firefox 64 bit. But be prepared to curse at the lack of java or flash content.

also have fun tracking down 64 bit versions of useful programs.. otherwise 90% of what you do will be under 32 bit. Which i think suffers from some translation issues running 32 bit programs under a 64 bit os.

Drivers should be ok for the most part, but have fun tracking down exotic things. By exotic i mean scanners / printers / mice / mobos / etc

Stick with 32bit.

Don't worry about going 64bit , in a 64bit system you can still use a 32bit browser and have everything your missing, end of story.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys are being silly.

That Home Basic thing you linked is a 3 pack, meant for OEM builders, who get a discount for buying three copies instead of one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116196

94 bucks, one license.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been running 64-bit on my gaming rig since 2005, initially with XP 64-bit when it first came out, and then when Vista 64-bit came out.... The gaming rig is 64-bit, while my Media Center PC and my wife's laptop are both 32-bit....

Depends what you're using the machine for, but I've had 0 issues since I started using 64-bit operating systems....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    DaddygerplexDaddygerplex Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any decent Ultimate exclusives worth spending an extra £30ish over Home Premium for?

Daddygerplex on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any decent Ultimate exclusives worth spending an extra £30ish over Home Premium for?
    better networking capabilities.
    Occasional free shit like Texas Hold'em.

I got nothin'.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DaddygerplexDaddygerplex Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Screw that then.

Home Premium a-hoy hoy!

Daddygerplex on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The ability to remotely log into the machine whenever... And thanks to some tweaks online, the ability to log in remotely while another user is also logged in locally.... I'm been using the crap out of this tweak...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    better networking capabilities.
    Occasional free shit like Texas Hold'em.

I got nothin'.
    Yeah, I have Ultimate (got it for $45 through the MS store!) and it offers very little over Home Premium. If you have to pay full price, Ultimate isn't worth it.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2007