As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South PinnyPal Panel and Community Trading Event Announcement! - UPDATED TIME!

evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinnSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Pinny Arcade
Hop aboard the Hype Train early this holiday season by preparing your mind, body, and soul for our community panel at PAX South! We are scheduled for Saturday at 10:30 - 11:30 AM in the Armadillo Theater. Featuring all your favorite members such as @Frostbyte, @maywest, @Qumaden, @00Fayt00, @rentfn, and of course myself. We'll be presenting a crash course introduction to Pinny Arcade and the community for brand-new traders and flashback-prone vets alike, along with a Q&A session where you can ask whatever Pin-related question your heart desires. Tell your friends! Bring a date! And of course don't forget your pins.

Also at PAX South this year I will be hosting a community trading event! As of right now I have literally no idea what the schedule is going to look like but it will be sometime after the Panel so we can plug it there as well they will take place every day around when the Expo hall closes, rough estimate at 5:30-6:30 for times. The idea is that we can invite anyone who may be interested in trading pins and get more people involved in our community and the trading scene, similar to our Pre- and Post-PAX dinners but actually during the show and in the Convention Center. If anyone has ideas for this or would like to help me plan it please feel free to send me a PM!

I'll keep this main post updated with any schedule changes that get made. See you in January!

Edit: Updated time for panel and changed plan for community events!

evanephrine on

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Given how late it is, anyway you can push for a keg? 8-)

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know how this shit works, I'll ask for TWO kegs, that way they're all like "Sorry dude, we can't do two kegs, we could only manage one." Boom.

Also regarding the lateness and the panel's possible overlap with other pin-related events, we submitted a request to have the time changed so we'll see how that goes.

• ajetog@gmail.comajetog@gmail.com WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Would love to attend, especially the trading event, but that's awfully late...

• thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    I know how this shit works, I'll ask for TWO kegs, that way they're all like "Sorry dude, we can't do two kegs, we could only manage one." Boom.

Also regarding the lateness and the panel's possible overlap with other pin-related events, we submitted a request to have the time changed so we'll see how that goes.

I think the time makes some sense if it's right after the staff trading event.

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    We had a theory it might be after the staff trading event. It's only late if you think its late?? We can have Pajamarama trading time!!!

Would love to attend, especially the trading event, but that's awfully late...

As for the trading event, I should've been more specific, I didn't mean after the panel as in DIRECTLY after. Just in a sense of throughout the weekend, the panel would be first and the trading would be second. However! @Beker had the fantastic suggestion of having a community trading event every day just around when the expo hall closes at (I believe) 6pm. If that sounds good to other folks I think I'm going to start planning along those lines. I just don't want to be the only person there holding up a sign for trading looking like a doofus, I want to make sure that at least some others would be up for this kind of thing.

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
  • aleph0aleph0 Registered User regular
    I think South would be a great place to start experimenting with some sort of fixed location for community trading, given that space would most probably be less of an issue than at East or Prime. We can then see how it goes and adjust according for future PAXen.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Prime's trade space always seemed to be next to the ATM machines near the merch booth, which overall wasn't the worst.

East is going to be tough to find a good place for that isn't crowded... I'd like to do somewhere that's not too out of the way but also not super crowded.

The hallways between the theaters seem like a likely spot but the trick would be finding the zones that aren't being used for queueing.

• OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    Holy geez that is late. I really hope they change it as last year I spent that time in the board game area playing games with my kids and I'm sure I will be doing the same this year.

• scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    If there's a trading meetup after the expo closes, maybe push it a bit /after/ after expo closes - like 6:30 / 7:00 - so if some of our ranks are stranded in the expo hall until after it closes, those poor souls can make it too.

/cough

Those poor, poor souls.

a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I imagine any trading meetup isn't really going to start right on the dot and end on the dot. More like people will start gathering 15-20 minutes before the set time and start talking pins and trading and a few will linger long after, or maybe adjourn in groups to dinner locations and continue talking pins and trading there. but if your location is anywhere along the exit rout from expo giving time for crowds to disperse would be a good idea. Hall of statues not likely to see an influx of crowds too much though.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Awesome, thanks for the input guys! When I get some more free time I'll start looking at South's map from last year and draw up a rough plan for the community trading.

I'm updating the main post as well but I've just received an revision of our time slot. Apparently there was a typo and our panel will be at 10:30 AM on Saturday in the Armadillo Theater, much much better than PM, eh?

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that seemed weird.

I'm making an executive decision!!! The Community Trading Events will take place near the Merch Lite booth, close to the PA Staff trading table. Keep an eye out for a PinnyPals banner! Everyone is invited, within the community or not. Be sure to spread the word to newer traders who are interested in expanding their collection from the PAX South pins! Any updates on location will be posted here, in the PinnyPals and You South thread, and the PAX_South Slack and WhatsApp groups!

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Also, don't forget PAX South 2016 Margarita Quest! Remember to get outside of the convention center with your new friends. Why not have some margaritas? PAX South Margarita Quest: Because We Care (TM)

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • DashboardBroDashboardBro Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Would anyone be interested in trading MTG Cards for Pins I have about 4,000 MTG cards I will trade for whatever pins. Just let me know!

DashboardBro on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well whoever records the panel, make sure to get the footage to me as quick as you can!

• giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Can't wait for the panel :D

giantry on
    Could you wait 4 months?

• NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    Recorded panel, will upload audio when I get back home from flight on Monday. Video and audio I'll try to have posted on Friday, want to edit it up right, put the powerpoint in there and everything. Will post links when they're up!

Thanks dude! We really appreciate the help :D

YOU KNOW GUYS MY EDITING SCHEDULE JUST OPENED UP!..

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'll do it quicker, it just won't be as funny.

NOW CHOOSE

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    Thank you so much to everyone who made it to the panel! I'm super happy about how it went so thanks to everyone for who helped promote and run the panel by talking it up and handing out raffle tickets, pinnypal cards, and stamp codes. Especially big thanks to my fellow panelists for spreading the pin knowledge and cheer, not to mention the great questions we got during our Q&A. Hopefully we'll be seeing some new faces around here soon!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Everyone get excited for watching me run around the panel for the last 25%