As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Getting back into Underrail, and I'm getting more of a feel for its quirks. Fallout is the obvious gameplay influence, but I think stylistically it's closer to the earlier Ultima games, or the more recent Eschalon series. There's no world map to speak of, every place is connected by tunnels and caves you have to directly pass through; you're not really gated off from random exploration, it's just very unwise unless you're well prepared. Individual critters are manageable, but packs of them are exponentially more dangerous - gaining new abilities or providing group buffs - so you're encouraged to fight smart. The game makes a big deal out of traps, and even throwing down some improvised caltrops can turn a dangerous encounter in your favor.

More interesting is that the default leveling system depends on finding rare items and completing quests more than killing enemies. Some critters drop these items, but for the most part you're not really required to kill every standing foe. Good level design helps make more evasive gameplay plausible; if you're careful, you can see enemies before they see you and generally find a way around them. You can switch it to more traditional kill-based xp, but I've been finding items at a steady clip, and the few roadblocks I've hit felt more like being underequipped instead of underleveled.

Inventory is kinda messy, since it uses a pretty deep crafting system and you'll sort through a lot of clutter to get a feel for the actually useful stuff. You can craft all manner of high end gear with enough skill investment; out of curiosity I'm doing a no-crafting run to see how shop inventory and found equipment holds up. Shops in particular are stingy, and not every vendor buys every item, or infinite quantities of said item. Stranger still is that the various currencies don't have base values of 1, meaning an item that costs 95 will take, say, 10 station credits at 10 apiece (spending 100 and taking a loss of 5). You kind of have to un-learn traditional RPG pack rat behavior - viewing items in terms of "can I use this" or "can I sell this" rather than just blindly grabbing everything - and it definitely takes some getting used to.

All told, I can see all this stuff repelling a lot of people, but it's somehow working for me. It comes off as a lot of preparation, exploration, and dialogue spacing out relatively short combat sequences. Fights don't drag much, they're generally over quickly one way or another. Ammo and healing items have been fair but not too generous, and exploration has paid off even if I can't haul back everything I find. The plot doesn't have a starting event per se, just you joining a station and doing grunt work, but there's a reasonable sense of place and decent worldbuilding. Of all things, it reminds me a bit of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, where society has been underground so long that nobody talks about or seems to remember a time when humanity lived topside.

I got cornered by a pair of psychic beetles, which gain extra offensive powers in groups (even one is pretty dangerous), and barely scraped by. A bear trap pinned one down and I hobbled the other with a well-placed shot. This gave me time to fade into the shadows, and sneak close enough to drop a grenade on the both of them. After patching myself up I harvested the mindshrooms they were guarding - I knew those would sell to the eggheads back home. Taking the credits from medsci, I strolled down to the armory and cheered: I finally had just enough for a slightly better pistol and armor.

It's that kind of game. And it feels goooooooooood.

I like that it feels like they have gone through subsequent apocalypses since moving underground.

The game eventually does have a plot. It just gives you time to get adjusted to your surrounding before it starts.

I've been playing a scientist build that I found that has been pretty fun. Chemical and Energy pistols get pretty crazy.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Man a bit after the 3rd or 4th boss in Axiom Verge I just couldn't figure out what to do. I went all over backtracking and trying every corner. Spent like an hour going in circles. Finally went to the web and found a video title "Stuck in Axiom Verge?" and it was exactly what I was having trouble with. It even went over all the solutions I may have tried. So I didn't feel bad since apparently deadending here is a common enough thing. Sad part was I had tried the solution, I just hadn't held down a button long enough.

That and a busy weekend have kinda killed my momentum. It was so good up til that point. Hopefully it picks back up when i pick it back up.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Finished Expand, which was gifted to me by @Antoshka just a few days ago.
    It's as he told me, it was just like some weird anti-Super Hexagon.

The music is soothing and relaxing, and simple red/white/black fractals that expand and contract into navigable mazes is utterly hypnotic.
    At an 1.5 hours, it's certainly a good way to unwind. If not all that replayable.

Thanks, Ant-man!

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Yeah, my password manager has a dead man switch type thing that will give my passwords to people I designate upon procurement of a death certificate.

Bit morbid, but you know. Stuff happens.

"If you're watching this, then by now I must be dead" sorta thing?

Something something play Hacknet!

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, my password manager has a dead man switch type thing that will give my passwords to people I designate upon procurement of a death certificate.

I start-to-finished played it last week, it was fantastic! Also, Shadowrun Returns uses this to great effect :smile:

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I start-to-finished played it last week, it was fantastic! Also, Shadowrun Returns uses this to great effect :smile:

Yes, the aptly titled campaign, Dead Man's Switch. :+1:

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Presumed pricing error: Mafia 3 is on the Humble Store for 30 dollars

Mafia 3 isn't out yet.

steam_sig.png

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I've had that conversation recently. It is not a nice conversation.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Here's a list of the types of games I enjoy, in case anyone has some good recommendations. Warning, my tastes boarder on the fickle and bizarre, be warned!

Genres: Action, RPG, RTS, SRPG, Puzzle, Fighting
    Some favorite games: Zelda, Fire Emblem, Starcraft, Hero Academy
    Currently playing: Hearthstone, Star Realms, and soon Fire Emblem: Fates/SF5/Killer Instinct
    Likes: Short games (5-8 hours are ideal), co-op, burst gameplay (10 minute or less sessions), unique mechanics
    Dislikes: Overly violent games, open-world games (GTA, MGS, Witcher, etc), MMOs, shallow graphics-driven games, sports, racing

Games I just loved over the past few years were: The Walking Dead (Telltale), Mark of the Ninja (a-fucking-mazing), Kingdom Rush series (so good). Hope that isn't a mission impossible set of parameters to work with. :)

I'd say put Mystik Belle on your list. It's an incredibly charming little Metroidvania by a lone developer that got utterly ignored on release.

Donnicton on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So @Aistan sent me this!

7fuy0qa7axn6.png

It's actually two weeks after my birthday already, but thanks! I beat this game back in a friend's Xbox, so having the time to replay at my own leisure will be nice!

b.png 171.5K
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    OK, time for bed. Monday is going to be rough.

rottr100.png

Worth it though.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The more I raid Tombs the more I hate not having a crouch button. Seriously frustrating to have a stealth system without manual cover. This automated shit just doesn't feel right and I hate not being in full control over my characters choices when that the context of combat is so close.

Especially MORE-SO since the fucking enemy AI will just bull-fucking-rush me and shoot me in the face point blank range. It's... just a mechanic that eats away at me.

That being said I am loving the overall game and how they took the first one and built on it properly. Lara is facing some rough stuff and her fire is really starting to come out. Lots more tomb raiding too.

Just.. still wish I could crouch.

Edit:
    Wtf are these?
    R8aBox9.jpg

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    For anyone that is interested I'm about to fire up my stream, Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles for the first time. Check it out here

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    @HallowedFaith those are the quest markers for the Baba Yaga DLC objectives.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Firebird wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    Oh hoo boy. I had no idea JUST how not good the PC port of Final Fantasy Type-0 was.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. But there's some settings you can tweak outside the game to make it more bearable.

But otherwise, it's not a deal breaker. This was a PSP game afterall...
    It was running at 18 FPS. I'm not talking about graphics. I was talking about optimization.

Edit: The AA Settings also downsample the game from 3840x2160 to 1920X1080. what the fuck. Why would you do this and then not tell me this.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If you've got a significant other or someone that you really trust, include these details in what you want to happen if you die suddenly right along funeral music and organ donations. My wife knows what forums and chat rooms I frequent and I know hers. I've just gotta make sure I hand off my master password for my password manager before I shuffle off...

Wife: "Oh honey, I love you so, so much"
    Me: "There's just one, final thing *cough cough hack* that I need to, tell you"
    Wife: "Yes, yes?"
    Me: "Come closer"
    Wife *leans in*
    Me: "Romeo, alpha, delta, delta, ampersand, pound sign, hash, hash, upper case tango..."
    Obviously not my real master password :P

You can set Gmail to send a pre-crafted email message to a specified email address if you do not log in for X months (with the assumption that you haven't logged in because you have died).

Doesn't do you much good if the info inside is urgent since the minimum is 30 days, but it's a nice thing to set up if you want to prevent important accounts from being lost to the ether if you should croak earlier than planned.
    Jazz wrote: »
    But no... I don't think anyone knows what happened to @JaysonFour. And that makes me sad.
    I put on my detective hat back in December to try and figure out what happened to the guy, did a full rundown and found a facebook account, old blogs, dating website profiles, an entire online identity... all of which appeared unused for about a year. I was able to get in touch with someone he knew in college, but he told me he hadn't been in touch with him for years.

I feared the worst, but on the upside I was unable to find any obituaries using his real name in his state that would match up the time he disappeared and his current age, so there's a chance he just took a hiatus from the internet or ran off to Europe to discover himself or something.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Hello Steam Thread!

Wu6k8bY.jpg

It's time for the traditional Hobbit Birthday Celebration! Here are some games either I thought were fun, or I was told by some very smart people were fun. All end on Tuesday, on the day where we celebrate both the day of my birth and of course the resurrection of the Holy Groundhog.

Enter one! Enter them all! Help me celebrate my last year before I turn the big 40 in 2017 and slide into a midlife crisis and can't afford any giveaways because I'm too busy buying a sports car and/or motorcycle! (Open to Adventure Team members)

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Just a quick repost for the "I read the forums at work" crowd. They end tomorrow evening!

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    End of PAX South Update! I'm flying back home in a bit but here's some final thoughts:

- Party Hard is pretty fun and It's on sale. If you go to tinybuild.com/shop and enter the code PARTYPAX you get a Steam code for like 6.75.
    - lootcrate gaming is coming and it looks good
    - PAX South, in general, seems like the most manageable PAX right now. Prime (now West) is sprawling and East is very congested. South has a nice flow to it. I never felt rushed, the lines were not super long and lots of good food options near by. I think I'll be coming back next year.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I forget PAX South is a thing. I keep thinking it's in Australia, but it's actually like an hour from where I work. I should go one of these years.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really wish I would have gone to PAX East a few years ago. I think it was the second PAX East I was making vague plans to attend, but just didn't like the idea of going alone. I'm sure it would have been fine.

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Fuck, I wished I remembered about PAX South as I live 5 hours away from San Antonio.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
    SteevL wrote: »
    I really wish I would have gone to PAX East a few years ago. I think it was the second PAX East I was making vague plans to attend, but just didn't like the idea of going alone. I'm sure it would have been fine.

I mean 2016 is my third PAX East "alone". First year was definitely kinda lonely but I made it through. Made acquaintances and friends last year though, so it won't be as lonely this time. Even met some PA forum folk

steam_sig.png

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I forget PAX South is a thing. I keep thinking it's in Australia, but it's actually like an hour from where I work. I should go one of these years.

And this is why tickets are plentiful because everyone else forgets too. I'll be trying to head down there next time.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

And this is why tickets are plentiful because everyone else forgets too. I'll be trying to head down there next time.

Yeah they had plenty of Friday and Sunday badges left. You guys should try to make it next year! Now I have a 5 hour flight back to Jersey. It's like 75 in TX now, it will be 36 when I land :/

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Yeah they had plenty of Friday and Sunday badges left. You guys should try to make it next year! Now I have a 5 hour flight back to Jersey. It's like 75 in TX now, it will be 36 when I land :/

From "too hot" to "just right"!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Is there any way to disable achievements without completely disabling the Steam overlay?

It drives me nuts to see an achievement pop up, but I still want to have the ability to mess around in the Steam overlay if need be.

steam_sig.png
    Seeing some screenshots of Lara outfits is making me want to play the new Tomb Raider. But I still haven't played the old one so that's on hold.

Meanwhile, more Dragon's Dogma.

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Is there any way to disable achievements without completely disabling the Steam overlay?

It drives me nuts to see an achievement pop up, but I still want to have the ability to mess around in the Steam overlay if need be.

But, don't you get a happy chemical feeling in your brain when a cheevo pops up? Or is this just me?

steam_sig.png
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I've never played Undertale but holy shit is the soundtrack good. Spider Dance blows my mind.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    ok, so i had something for the jokes back when everyone was talking about the nihilist arbys stuff, but felt that was too far back until people started talking about dying and leaving their passwords for family to come post to us that theyve passed on. so i wanted to add to that with a poem i heard some time ago.

there once was a magical mirror.
    any who looked into it saw their darkest fear.
    when i gazed upon it, what did i see?
    only myself, looking back at me.

so clearly there are a couple interpretations of this. the most obvious being that the narrators biggest fear was themself. that whoever or whatever theyve become was the worst thing they could be. maybe they were worried that they are just going to end up being a big let down, or maybe they feel like they already are a let down. that every minute theyre alive is just a waste of time and resources for everyone else, and that if god had any mercy at all they would just strike them down now and end it all.
    ...or maybe its just a regular mirror. you know, like a hoax.
    eat at arbys

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Steam Thread: Your One-Stop Shop for Cheap Games and Crippling Depression!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

"If you notify all of the people on this list about my death, you'll get $1,000,000."

EDIT:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand beaten.

Elvenshae on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

From "too hot" to "just right"!

Yeah, I hate the weather here and would leave if I could. Norway is about what I want, but I'd settle for Canada.

I get so mad when I get screwed out of the one season I like. This 75->50->80 bs is getting old. Give me my 40's, dammit.

I also get mad when the weather person says "going to be a beautiful day". Sunny and hot are not beautiful to me.

f3rret wrote: »

But, don't you get a happy chemical feeling in your brain when a cheevo pops up? Or is this just me?

No, I hate it. Every time I hit an amazing moment in a game and an achievement pops up I roll my eyes.

steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I totally get finding achievement notifications annoying. I can take them or leave them myself.

But the achievement for chapter 9 of Portal 2? That was the best goddamned thing ever, and I actually was really miffed that I missed the tiny Steam popup when it happened.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I love achievements. Well designed achievements are great, like that one in Portal. Pretty sure you can turn off the popup though.

It's possible that I am completely oblivious, but I couldn't figure out how to do it when I looked last night. I know how to turn off the entire Steam overlay, but I couldn't turn off just the achievements.

Maybe I'll just turn off the entire overlay *grumble grumble*

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no way to disable the achievement notification without turning off the overlay entirely. Very obnoxious, I agree.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Houn wrote: »
    Steam Thread: Your One-Stop Shop for Cheap Games and Crippling Depression!

First we had existential dread and now we're all staring into the abyss of inevitable death.

I'd go get Arby's but I'm not feeling so great which is why I called out of work.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I love achievements. Well designed achievements are great, like that one in Portal. Pretty sure you can turn off the popup though.

That is legit the only time I had a positive reaction to an achievement popping. And oh how I laughed.

Most of the time, I barely register their existence. Unless it's super poorly timed and fucks with a narrative moment or something.

This discussion has been closed.