As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Return of the Creepiest thing you've ever seen?

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    Green meteorites are actually perfectly normal. The fact it's a green fire just depends on what elements are most prominent in the meteorite's make up. Also, its not uncommon to see meteorites on consecutive nights because normally they are pieces of something larger (i.e. comet), and thus, are chunks the same heavenly body as it makes its way across our sky. This is also why they were both green... same origin=similar elements present.
    I thought it was more to do with how far up in the atmosphere they were, but no matter. They're not at all unusual. Occasionally one will be visible for a long enough time that it actually changes colours.

Yeah, lots of copper compounds burn green. If you have copper sulfate around in a science lab, stick in a bunsen burner, the flame will go green. May possibly create some sulfur dioxide, I'm not too sure.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I remember reading this thread when it was first posted, before I was active and people spoke of the shed.

What is the shed? I can't find it.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Shed really needs to go into the OP. Unfortunately I think it loses creepiness every time the story is repeated.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've never read it... it should still be really creepy for me... please?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    The Shed really needs to go into the OP. Unfortunately I think it loses creepiness every time the story is repeated.

Man that shed isn't creepy. People are just pussies. The shed is very clearly just an old shed... and in the summer the insulation expanded and popped out the door a little bit.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The shed pics were posted earlier in this thread but the link doesn't seem to work any more. But really, you aren't missing much.

Someone mentioned elevators to Hell, or something, a few pages back. Anyone got more info on that?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've gone looking through some of the old photos we took on those ghost walks I mentioned, and I found some stuff I'd completely forgotten about. I decided since this thing lacks much in the way of images, that I'd post a few up.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/DarkTheater.jpg

^ - This is the inside of the Lincoln Theater, I believe. Not so much scary or creepy as it is just dark and kind of eerie. There's supposedly some sort of ghost who haunts the walkways above the stage and stuff. Real creepy place, but we've never taken any really interesting pictures from it. I think my grandfather took this one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/Graveyard1.jpg

^ - This is just a picture taken inside Greenwood Cemetary. Pretty normal, as far as they go. I forget where exactly this was taken in the cemetary, but as you can see there are no orbs or anything. Not that I put much stock into orbs most of the time. Forgot who took this one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/Mausoleum1.jpg

^ - This is a picture of a mausoleum. There are a few orb-things. I think I took this the year after I got that weird orange image in that one mausoleum's name, and I had the bright idea that I should take pictures of every mausoleum name. Nothing turned out, unfortunately.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/SnowstormofOrbs.jpg
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/SnowstormofOrbs2.jpg

^ - I said I don't put much stock into orbs most of the time? Well...this is one of those times I consider something to be amiss. Look at that. That's not normal. These pics were taken by my grandfather

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/Tentacles.jpg

^ - I literally jumped when I saw this one. I can't believe I FORGOT this thing. I have no idea what those are, and I think this is a pic I took. I seriously WANT a good, rational explanation for this thing because I'd rather something like that not be real.

EDIT: I've resized the pictures so they're not huge, but if anyone wants the original size just ask and I shall upload.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    oh man the elevators to hell. those were SUPER creepy.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I don't normally take "orbs" seriously - I don't know why you'd think they were anything other than dust motes or bugs or something.

However, in regards to those last two orb photos, that does look really weird. And really cool. I don't know how that would come about naturally, unless it was raining and the flash caught a bunch of droplets? But it's clearly not raining there so I don't know.

And regarding the last photo: HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    oh man the elevators to hell. those were SUPER creepy.

I get that, but what ARE they?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've gone looking through some of the old photos we took on those ghost walks I mentioned, and I found some stuff I'd completely forgotten about. I decided since this thing lacks much in the way of images, that I'd post a few up.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/DarkTheater.jpg

^ - This is the inside of the Lincoln Theater, I believe. Not so much scary or creepy as it is just dark and kind of eerie. There's supposedly some sort of ghost who haunts the walkways above the stage and stuff. Real creepy place, but we've never taken any really interesting pictures from it. I think my grandfather took this one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/GennaRueben/Graveyard1.jpg

^ - This is just a picture taken inside Greenwood Cemetary. Pretty normal, as far as they go. I forget where exactly this was taken in the cemetary, but as you can see there are no orbs or anything. Not that I put much stock into orbs most of the time. Forgot who took this one.

^ - This is a picture of a mausoleum. There are a few orb-things. I think I took this the year after I got that weird orange image in that one mausoleum's name, and I had the bright idea that I should take pictures of every mausoleum name. Nothing turned out, unfortunately.

^ - I said I don't put much stock into orbs most of the time? Well...this is one of those times I consider something to be amiss. Look at that. That's not normal. These pics were taken by my grandfather

^ - I literally jumped when I saw this one. I can't believe I FORGOT this thing. I have no idea what those are, and I think this is a pic I took. I seriously WANT a good, rational explanation for this thing because I'd rather something like that not be real.

EDIT: I've resized the pictures so they're not huge, but if anyone wants the original size just ask and I shall upload.

The first thing I thought when I saw the last picture was that a few of the picture-taker's stray hairs had blown in front of the lens as the flash went off.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The first thing I thought when I saw the last picture was that a few of the picture-taker's stray hairs had blown in front of the lens as the flash went off.

I don't know what your hair is like but that doesn't look like human hair to me.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

I don't know what your hair is like but that doesn't look like human hair to me.

Lightning bug?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's probably out of focus hair being hit by the flash.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My moms ex-husband had a picture of a tower in a cemetary. One of his old Air Force buddies was posing for the picture. Why am I telling you about this? Because there were at least 6 ghosts in it, I kid you not. I really wish I had scanned it.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    My moms ex-husband had a picture of a tower in a cemetary. One of his old Air Force buddies was posing for the picture. Why am I telling you about this? Because there were at least 6 ghosts in it, I kid you not. I really wish I had scanned it.

Are you talking orbs, crazy mist, or fully formed and readily identifiable human forms?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mosana wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything spooky lately, but I watched Carrie,( the old one) again last night.
    That staute of St. Sebastian is easily the most disturbing piece of work ever created.
    I tried to find a pic, but gave up after I decided you guys are better off not seeing it.

Oh, go on

you can't not show us it now

My google skills have turned up nothing

This it?
    untitled.jpg

FFFUCK.
    Yeah. The face is just....wrong. It's so unnatural, and the hair looks like old human hair. Ugh.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »

Are you talking orbs, crazy mist, or fully formed and readily identifiable human forms?

Both. There was a baby on the railing and a man wearing a top hat. Those were the two that stood out the most. I called my Mom after I posted and asked her if she remembered and she said "Yeah, it pretty much proved to me that ghosts are real." She's going to try and get our pictures out of storage, if we still have it. It will be in there...

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    http://www6.evilshare.com/84c4bee6-db9c-102a-9309-00a0c993e9d6

Original recording of the bit from the Art Bell show that tool use on faaip de oiad.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    L|ama wrote: »
    http://www6.evilshare.com/84c4bee6-db9c-102a-9309-00a0c993e9d6

Original recording of the bit from the Art Bell show that tool use on faaip de oiad.

Holy shit man. That is creepy. Do you know where I can find other clips from his show?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Not a clue, this guy sent me the link on last.fm.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That was really creepy, especially the
    "by accident" and cat parts

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As my mom has said about australia (she was there until her mid twenties)

"I've seen more poisonous snakes and dangerous animals in north carolina than I ever did in oz"

You say that, but the fact is Australia is the land of the poisonous critters.

I take it she wasn't living bush.

We have so much poisonous shit it's silly.

Even platypus and echidna have poison.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As my mom has said about australia (she was there until her mid twenties)

"I've seen more poisonous snakes and dangerous animals in north carolina than I ever did in oz"

You say that, but the fact is Australia is the land of the poisonous critters.

I take it she wasn't living bush.

We have so much poisonous shit it's silly.

Even platypus and echidna have poison.

QFT

My sister lives in Sydney, has done for 5 years, never leaves the city tbh, has never seen squat...go out to the sticks and it's a menagarie of fucked up stuff. I went there for a year and in the last 3 months traveled around alot...I have never been so twitchy

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    RemnantRemnant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in Sydney's western suburbs, so while I'm probably the closest to the bush of this region, it's really not that frontier that you guys are probably talking about.

Have seen quite a few trapdoor spiders, few redbacks and a crapload of fire ants. Nasty stuff. Never really ran into any snakes, crocs, or any of those nasties.

Been stung across my foot by a blue-bottle jellyfish. That was a whole hell of an hour of fun. Ended up limping up down the beach with a great big stick and beating to pulp any of the stupid buggers who had washed up.
    It really bloody hurt!

Remnant on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did you pee on your foot?

Does that actually work?

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RE: Orbs in photos--If you're using a flash, it's almost always just some barely visible particles (pollen, dust, droplets of water) reflecting light. The only time I think orbs are interesting at all in photos is when no flash is used.

The "orb" phenomenon seems linked to the rise of easily available digital cameras. For the most part, I think it's just stuff floating around. If you're outside, in a graveyard with lots of particles in the air (which is most common in the evening as the temperature drops and moisture condenses) you're going to get orbs in your photos.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

I've been on a few graveyard hunts, and I can explain most, if not all, of those. The only "genuine" orb I see in your photos is the one to the left in the first linked pic. You know, the mausoleum. The one that's bright enough that it seems to be giving off its own light and leaving a trail as it moves could be an orb. The rest is dust, guaranteed.

The two "snowstorm" pictures are dust/dirt floating in the air that your flash illuminated. There's a Catholic cemetery down the road from me with a monument to all the aborted children, and the headstone says, "In Memory of The Unborn." I decided to take a picture of it one night, and it's in the middle of an unpaved section of the cemetery. The road circles around it. Anyway, we stopped and I leaned out of the car to take a picture and there were literally thousands of "orbs" flying around it. Turns out when we stopped and I took the picture, the dirt from the unpaved road was kicked up and the flash caught all of it, hence giving us the orbs. From the looks of it, either you'd kicked up some dust or dirt when you were walking and the flash illuminated all of it or you had some on the lens. If those were genuine orbs, and there were that many of them, every hair on your body would be standing straight up with the static charge generated by that much energy floating around you. The way to identify a possible genuine orb is to look for one that's giving off its own light. Everything else, especially translucent ones, are dust.

The last picture's a bit of a mystery. It's a solid object that's not giving off its own light, which disqualifies it from being any sort of manifested energy. If it were giving off its own light, the whole thing would be glowing and there wouldn't be that dark area through the middle of the longest tendril. The first two things that come to mind are a bug flying extremely close to the lens as the flash went off, and that they're either antennae, legs or hairs of some sort. The second is that it's a seed or something else that's being carried through the air via wind currents. You know, like dandelion seeds or something similar. It is a solid object though, so the odds of it being a tentacled spirit monster trying to rape you are very, very slim. I'm almost 99.9% sure that it's just something being blown around, maybe something you kicked up as you trudged through the grass.

cr0w on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    it could have been your hair, i've had that happen to me before.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, creepiest thing that has ever happened to me was more of a dream. So, I am about 10 years old, I am laying in bed, and I wake up. Something is very very wrong. My body is no working with my brain. I am trying to lay straight, but it seems impossible. Rolling over, sitting up then back down are doing me no good. I think I am dreaming. I get out of bed and go into the living room to lay on the couch. I figured, how can you lay crooked on a couch. When I get there, my mom is already laying there. She wakes up and asks me what's wrong. "my body doesn't work." Her "Go back to bed, your having a bad dream." So, I head back to my room, but somehow end up in her room where my step dad is sleeping. He wakes up, sees me and figures I had a nightmare so tells me to get a pillow and come lay with him. That is what I attempted to do, but for some reason found myself in the bathroom, staring at the towels. By this point, my parents figure out something is wrong, and try to talk to me. Instead of talking back, I just sit there staring off into space. Following that, I start throwing up everywhere. Am I asleep you ask? NO, I am fully awake, but basically brain dead. I had Spinal Meningitis. No one knew what was going on with me. As they loaded me up in the car to take me to the ER, i kept trying to get out. They had to hold me down so I didn't open the doors while driving down the road. All in all, it was the scarriest thing I have been through and the same for my parents.

Edit: After looking at those pics above, I am going to post some pics tomorrow of my girlfriend and I that I have never been able to explain. I hope that you all will be able to help me. I'll explain it all with the pics tomorrow.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thankfully, I have never had anything like that happen to me before.

It must be horrifying. D:

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cr0w wrote: »
    Way too much stuff to quote

Thank you. That goes for everyone else, too. The orb information's interesting though, now I'll know what to look for in images. Regardless, I'm most relieved about the explanations for the "tentacles". Talk about nightmarish-looking to an amateur like me. D:

Though, can I ask for an explanation on the images I posted earlier? This one and this one. Each one was taken from a different camera, and that orange-y thing was not visible at all. They're the eeriest couple of photos out of all of those we've taken.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narket wrote: »
    Meningitis

So you were aware that what you were doing was odd, but couldn't stop yourself? Very strange, but must have been really scary too.

Falx on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narket wrote: »
    Edit: After looking at those pics above, I am going to post some pics tomorrow of my girlfriend and I that I have never been able to explain. I hope that you all will be able to help me. I'll explain it all with the pics tomorrow.

Now that's a build up , Im hoping for long dead people standing behind you looking scary

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Thank you. That goes for everyone else, too. The orb information's interesting though, now I'll know what to look for in images. Regardless, I'm most relieved about the explanations for the "tentacles". Talk about nightmarish-looking to an amateur like me. D:

Though, can I ask for an explanation on the images I posted earlier? This one and this one. Each one was taken from a different camera, and that orange-y thing was not visible at all. They're the eeriest couple of photos out of all of those we've taken.

See the camcorder in the first shot? Or any other camcorders being used in the group, for that matter. If it was on IR mode, or "shooting in complete fucking darkness" mode, that light is the IR light shining from it. Any camcorder with Nightshot or whatever term they use now has that. It's coming from one of the cameras being used in the group, guaranteed.

cr0w on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh shit, I just saw this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ

Creeps me the fuck out.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

See the camcorder in the first shot? Or any other camcorders being used in the group, for that matter. If it was on IR mode, or "shooting in complete fucking darkness" mode, that light is the IR light shining from it. Any camcorder with Nightshot or whatever term they use now has that. It's coming from one of the cameras being used in the group, guaranteed.

Damnit cr0w! Quit being so knowledgeable and ruining the mystique! Reuben. That is most definitely a ghost. Now that you've captured it on film, it wants to destroy your soul and take over your body. I'm sorry buddy. Them's the breaks.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Haha. I've watched far too many episodes of Ghost Hunters and done far too much hunting myself to look at something and not come up with too many rational explanations before even considering the possibility that it's a ghost.

cr0w on
This discussion has been closed.