As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix, Hulu, ot Amazon Prime?

2»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Amazon Prime's got a few movies and British TV series Netflix doesn't have (I don't believe they're on Hulu)--for example, Great Expectations, Downton Abbey, Interstellar.

Which isn't terribly surprising, given that Netflix's offerings in certain genres are, well, crap. That still makes it overall much, much better than Amazon.

Weirdly, I guess I'm not the only one bothered by Amazon Prime's GUI. Netflix's mobile app, in any modern incarnation, is nothing to be proud of, but I guess it works too?

I keep Amazon Prime for the discounts and free shipping, the video service (and music service and photo hosting) are all just side perks I occasionally use.

As for Hulu--well, they've got the best US TV series out of both of them I suspect. Shame about all the advertising they want to include anyway?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    honestly though the biggest reason i don't use prime at all is that i can't use it with my chromecast and stremaing it involves finding a remote and loading up my bluray player

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    honestly though the biggest reason i don't use prime at all is that i can't use it with my chromecast and stremaing it involves finding a remote and loading up my bluray player

Yeah, we never used Prime streaming until we got a Roku. Even switching to the Firestick wasn't really worth the effort, but they have gotten more exclusives lately.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    If you've never watched Deadwood, get Prime just to watch Deadwood and then cancel it cause you don't need anything else in your life.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    If you've never watched Deadwood, get Prime just to watch Deadwood and then cancel it cause you don't need anything else in your life.

That seems like such a waste.

Prime subscriptions are for a year and The Wire would also be right there.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Yeah The Wire and Deadwood are a must.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    Yeah The Wire and Deadwood are a must.

Deadwood's sequel, Justified, is also on Prime.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    the thing about prime is if you use amazon for other things, it's essentially free. If you don't use amazon for other things, it's almost totally redundant. Also, prime music is surprisingly decent. Since I have a kindle and an echo (it was a mom gift), the ability to yell at a thing until it plays standup comedy while I do the dishes is pretty cool.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    We've got Netflix and Prime here- to be honest, the depth of stuff on Netflix is what really impresses me. They may not have as recent of shows as Hulu does, but to be honest, it doesn't really matter to us- it has plenty of family stuff (for when my niece goes on a three-hour marathon of Masha and the Bear), but it's also got lots of good stuff you can just put on and keep watching (twelve seasons of NCIS, the complete series of Burn Notice, various other shows, and even a few seasons of Kitchen Nightmares for the times when you just want to see an angry Englishman yelling at people).

The big question for the OP I have is: what do you like to watch? If you're looking for a specific show, search some databases and pick whoever has what you want to watch. If you're just happy with anything, well, I'd say go with Netflix.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?