As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Purchasing a wireless router

Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton DrEdinburghRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be buying a wireless router and am trying to decided which of the many options I have available to me.

No computer in the falt will be more than 20 feet away from the router although the walls in the falt are reasonably solid. I'm looking to do online gaming so a router that puts in big latency spikes is not looked upon favourably.

I have my eye on THIS router. Any horror storys or knowledge that it's entirely innapropriate?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, I've heard of routers that can prioritize packets to maintain or increase performance, but so far I've only seen this one from DLink.

I do know that with my stock WAP I saw a 5-10ms difference between wired and wireless (wired being better).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can't comment on the Router you linked to (in fact I have not heard of that brand before... but then may be only because they don't market to the States).

I can comment on what I own though. I own a lower end D-Link router and I am only marginally satisfied with it. My biggest qualm is issues with the number of connections open. When I have something like BitTorrent running, if I don't limit the number of connection to something like 100 connections or less, my router will sometimes get overloaded. Not really a huge deal if it just refused to open additional connections, however rather than handling the situation gracefully, the router just crashes and restarts itself.

I also had an issue with a faulty wireless card in a seperate computer connecting to my D-Link router. I guess every now and then the wirless card would send a bad signal to the router and it would crash the router, and I'd have to manually power cycle the thing. When I replaced the faulty wireless card (with a loose antenae) the problem went away, but I was not impressed with how the router handled bad data.

Like I said, what I have is a lower end D-Link router, so the more expensive stuff (like what Ruckus linked to) might be better, but I have not had good experiences with them.

fforde on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ruckus wrote:
    Well, I've heard of routers that can prioritize packets to maintain or increase performance, but so far I've only seen this one from DLink.
    If you're brave enough to (maybe) void your warranty, you can get all the functionality that router offers (and more besides) by buying a basic router and flashing it with open source firmware. I use DD-WRT personally, it lets me shape traffic so I can run torrents full throttle without impacting other users. It also lets me set the maximum number of open connections, timeouts for connections, and lets me monitor how many connections are currently open, so I can twiddle the parameters to my liking. They've got a list of open source firmware compatible routers on their site, I'd recommend anything on the list, if only because it gives you so many more options should you need them.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer