As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PBP] FFG Star Wars: Echoes of the Force [IC/OOC]

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Nuun

"Well, down is better than going out to watch the sky burn."
    Nuun began to slither down the rope to chase Seth and Keo into the thick darkness.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    yessssss

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just to be clear, is Keo witnessing this conversation from first person or is he seeing them talk? Just to make writing a post easier.

Khildith on
  • Options
    Khildith wrote: »
    Just to be clear, is Keo witnessing this conversation from first person or is he seeing them talk? Just to make writing a post easier.
    Keo and Seth are experiencing this from the perspectives of their passengers.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    DE-902

The droid looked at the rope, then at its mechanical hands.
    Is this something DE-902 could do without requiring athletics or acrobatics?

• Options
    DE-902
    The descent itself is pretty short. DE should be fine.

• Options
    DE-902

With a resigned sigh, DE-902 followed Nuun into the pit. "If I fall and damage my servos, it is your duty as prisoners to ensure I promptly receive maintenance and repairs."

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Nuun

A pair of feet, bare but composed entirely of shadow, alit upon the floor soundlessly. The cavern was empty now, the workers all gone, along with the central spire, cannibalized into the Choirleader's great Focus. A whisper of movement took her across the room, to the foot of the column of kyber crystals that once dominated the chamber. Her dark eyes, spots of black among grey, swept from the walls to the floor, marked by tracks but unadorned by the carvings to come. "So many sing so quickly, now, came the soft voice, to no one in particular. "But if we falter, there is no escape.

DE-902

The dust cloud is thick, but your sensors should still be able to pick up Nuun if he's nearby. Or Seth and PFC Brandel, for that matter. The only humanoid on your scanners is Uther. Through the dust, you can see that the floor has been intricately carved with a series of pictograms laid out in some sort of geometric pattern. That pattern continues up the walls. Rotted out carts and rubble dominate the immediate landscape.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DE-902

The droid flicked its optical sensors on and off a few times in the attempt to recalibrate them for the obscured surroundings. "Executing exploration routine. Recording output set to verbose for later analysis."
    You enter a dust-choked room with low visibility. The floors have PICTOGRAMS and the walls have geometric PATTERNS. Mining debris is scattered about. Nearby: UTHER
    > LOOK PICTOGRAMS
    > LOOK PATTERNS

Using a Destiny Point to upgrade because we have 'em in spades and droids using the Force amuse me.

Geth, roll 1eP+2eA for Perception to notice important details on the floor and walls

Perception to notice important details:
    1eP+2eA 2 successes, 1 advantage [1eP=A] [2eA=S, S]

• Options
    edited February 2016
    DE-902
    geth, roll 2eD+1eS for the dust cover.

There is no central spire, but you can see a mounding of rubble where it probably stood. The pictograms (both wall and floor) seem to be of a variety of different types of fauna and humanoids, along with some scattered dots and lines. Your systems can pick it up and record it fairly easily. A close examination of the carvings on the floor near you reveals traces of carbon scoring, as if they were burned into the rock.

the dust cover:
    2eD+1eS 1 failure, 2 threat [2eD=Th, Th] [1eS=F]

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Interesting. Too bad the droid wasn't at the expedition point from earlier, I don't think it would realize the similarities (unless it was recorded / uploaded).

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Interesting. Too bad the droid wasn't at the expedition point from earlier, I don't think it would realize the similarities (unless it was recorded / uploaded).
    Do stormtroopers have helmet cams? If they do, you've probably seen footage. If only so you could get a sense of what you were treating them for.

• Options
    Keo

The trooper found himself in an unfamiliar environment, speaking words he didn't intend and moving against his will.

"I'm dreaming again." He tells himself, speaking out loud out of habit more than anything.

"In a moment I'll wake up back in the infirmary and today will have been nothing but a nightmare."

The trooper waited, looking around expectantly.
    Sorry about the delay, a combined confusion about how Keo would react+busy day leads to long delays!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Uther sees the Droid descend the rope.... gives the area one last look... and drops down himself.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    Ok if we're seeing this from their perspective are we limited in how we can act?

• Options
    Ok if we're seeing this from their perspective are we limited in how we can act?
    No limitations. You act as them, then I act as them.

The colored text gimmick is really tough to do on my phone, so it'll be after lunch before I can give a post for anyone but DE-902.

• Options
    Seth

"It's a vision, lad, an echo of the past. Whatever that device was in the chamber allowed these entities to inhabit our bodies as a passive influence. For good or ill you're now open to the flows of the Force. Watch and see."

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Keo/Seth

The bone-white head of the theosophist cantered slightly, and a slight smile spread across her face. "They know us, Sister. The old one and the Soldier," she nearly laughed, "they are here, now."

The head of the great beast thrashed, searching in vain for the interlopers. "WHERE," she bellowed, her hand at her belt for her weapon. Nearby workers gaped in fear and retreated from the huge creature.

The softer voice sighed, a sound audible only due to the localized work stopage. "Calm yourself, Sister. They are here," she pointed first at herself, then at the Beast, "not here." She spread her long arms, covered in spiderwebbed tatoos, to indicate their surroundings.

Grunting, the Beast turned to meet her gaze. "Sister speaks in riddles, always."

"Sister lacks basic awareness of self" she returned with a smirk.

DE-902

Accessing the databanks of the outpost, you locate a small set of helmetcam recordings from the original incident site. They provide decent if not excellent visuals of the carvings and other imagery within the original chamber. With a little work, you might even be able to reconstruct a 3d mockup for yourself to compare against.

Now that you are on the floor, you also notice that there are thousands of tiny crystaline shards scattered through the chamber. Many have collected in the grooves and carvings on the floor, but others are crunching underfoot as you explore.

Nuun/Uther

Floating down from an opening above, the thin figure appeared birdlike. Her large, articulated crest momentarily gave the appearance of a bird of paradise, an impression complimented by her colorful robes.

"It is happening, Sister. He cannot stop us, not while they are with us," she whistled as she touched down, facing the dark visage of the Panthress. "Our work still needs done, but we succeed. I have seen it."

The already indistinct shape of the chamber's other occupant blurred slightly. The Oracle knew that this was her way of expressing negative emotions. An obvious effort of will echoed through the Force, and the dark Sister's shape once again took a more solid form. A shaft of orange light snap-hissed to life from the humanoid shadow. "Then let us call to them, Sister."

A cold blue line of light answered, held by the clawed hand of the Oracle. "They already hear us, Sister, the Flier and the Fool."

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2016
    DE-902

"Multiple correlations," the droid muttered to itself. Potentially linked to previous situation? Accessing..."
    OK, I've got a lot of data here, but I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. I haven't been reading other player's spoilers, which has made this interesting! :D

Let's see if there's some bit of forgotten Lore that DE-902 had squirreled away that relates to what's going on.

Geth, roll 1eP+1eA for Lore check on putting the pieces of the puzzle together

Specifically looking for possible connections between rituals involving potentially outlawed Force sects. The Inquisitor had to know something about the pillars, right? Maybe I can find a breadcrumb trail of where to slice in to get that info?

Lore check:
    1eP+1eA 2 successes, 2 advantage [1eP=S/A] [1eA=S/A]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    DE-902
    geth roll 2eD for DE-902's data.

Damn. Well, for your advantage I can tell you that there's something about the seemingly random markings and dots that's ticking something in your processor. It feels like random is an inaccurate descriptor. You can feel yourself almost unintentionally whistling binary.

DE-902's data:
    2eD 2 failures, 1 threat [2eD=Th, F/F]

OptimusZed on

• Options
    I spent most the day editing binary files, let's see if that's it.
    Geth, roll 3eA for attempting to interpret the markings as Computer code

attempting to interpret the markings as Computer code:
    3eA 2 successes, 1 advantage [3eA=S, S/A, -]

• Options
    edited February 2016
    DE-902
    geth roll 2eD+2eB for unexpected clarity.

Booyah. Post incoming. Hold on to your butts, if you have them.

unexpected clarity:
    2eD+2eB 1 failure, 1 threat [2eD=Th/Th, F] [2eB=A, -]

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited February 2016
    DE-902

Armed with new insight, DE-902 approached the problem again. The droid's sensors swept side to side across the portion of floor directly below. A pattern emerged, almost shockingly quickly.

"I am so very sorry, Metal One," read the dots and dashes arranged immediately below the droid's motivator pods.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    OOC:
    OK...sorry Zed but I'm a little confused here, so please confirm.

We are reliving this vision as our possessing sprits AND viewing it as ourselves, is that right? Like two different timelines that are overlapping each other in the same locale?

For example, Uther can act and talk and move as himself but simultaneously experiences what the Oracle heard and saw from millennia ago? (um...spoiler alert...Uther is the Oracle) And as we are aware of them, they are aware of us?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Uther is still Uther, but while he's in this vision he is occupying the body of the Oracle. When you do something, she'll do it, too. If you talk, Nuun will hear you but it's unclear if the Oracle or Panthress will. You can move about the scene and interact with it freely, just as the Oracle.

Was of right now, the only people you can perceive in the scenario are yourself/Oracle and Nuun/Panthress.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    All Non-Droids
    To clarify a little more, you are free to act within the scenes you are in, but you do so as your other self/passenger/whatever. The two pairs (of pairs) of characters are occupying different space-time places, as is DE-902, so you won't meet each other. My intention is for you to have a chance to react or explore, then push the narrative forward a beat, and repeat until REDACTED happens. Feel free to play around with the situation. There are some interesting things you can do when you are occupying multiple time-frames. Causality be damned.

• Options
    That makes more sense

I need some time to think on this one honestly

• Options
    My fault, once again, folks. I'm still getting used to this format. Face to face, this would have been a 30 second question and answer session.

• Options
    its not that you've done anything wrong, Zed. You've crafted a very neat kind of scenario here. Its a very interesting story you're telling and I am just afraid I'll fuck it all up on you. :)

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    its not that you've done anything wrong, Zed. You've crafted a very neat kind of scenario here. Its a very interesting story you're telling and I am just afraid I'll fuck it all up on you. :)
    The central concept is pretty resilient. I wouldn't worry too much about screwing anything up.

• Options
    DE-902

"Fascinating," remarked the droid, and it awkwardly bent down for a closer look. "Some sort of ancient computer, or intelligent life? I wonder..." With a digit, DE-902 drew in the dust off the floor 'for what?'.

• Options
    DE-902

Examining the immediate area fails to produce any other cohesive information from the carvings. The dots and dashes are scattered throughout the room among the pictographs and other carvings, though. It is possible that other messages are hidden as well.

• Options
    Keo

It was surreal hearing Seth's voice come from the mouth of the being.

"If this is just a vision, how do they know we're here?" the trooper couldn't keep the fear out of his voice.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Uther

"Fool? Who are they calling a fool?" Uther bristles at the comments of the apparitions, the facts of the situation slowly sinking in, but he still doesn't believe it. How could this be possible? Experiencing two different realities at once...and being aware of each other? What was the purpose, what are these ghosts after?

He moves further into the room, his own lightsaber still on his belt. "Nuun...do you see the others? Where are they? Seth! Brandel! Where are you?"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    DE-902

Briefly stymied the droid searched for similar patterns throughout the room.
    Eatin' a destiny point, om nom nom nom.

Geth, roll 1eP+2eA for Perception lookin' for binary messages among the patterns

Perception lookin' for binary messages among the patterns:
    1eP+2eA 2 successes, 3 advantage [1eP=S/A] [2eA=S, A/A]

• Options
    geth roll 2eD+1eB for the underlying pattern.

the underlying pattern:
    2eD+1eB 0 successes, 2 threat [2eD=Th/Th, Th] [1eB=A]

• Options
    DE-902

Upon further examination, the binary codes seem to be something of an aberation among the carvings. There is some sort of a message here, but individual snippets are not very instructive. Words form, but there is no structure apparent.

A subroutine in the back of DE-902's processor pings at the structure and layout of the carvings. Something bigger than a simple written message has been transcribed here. Perhaps if the whole chamber were considered at once it would become clear.

Current Destiny Pool: 6 Light, 1 Dark

• Options
    Can Keo/Seth hear Uther or is he in a different... time zone?

• Options
    Khildith wrote: »
    Can Keo/Seth hear Uther or is he in a different... time zone?
    Keo/Seth can only hear Keo/Seth. Same is true for Nuun/Uther and DE-902

• Options
    DE-902

Determined to solve the puzzle, the droid set about recording everything it could about the room, loaded it into memory, and attempted a large-scale analysis of the set as a whole.
    Hmm... going with Perception again, but could do Education instead (to represent training in applied sciences). Let me know if you want me to reroll.

Geth, roll 3eA for Perception

Perception:
    3eA 1 success, 2 advantage [3eA=S, A/A, -]