As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a Goodbye Song

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
I'm president of our school's sketch comedy club and my last job is to make a montage video of the year and overlay it with a song.

I want to find a song that is upbeat and has lyrics that talk about moving on and remembering the good times and all.

Last year we used "Something New" by Axwell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCH9gClZprM

Any ideas for a song this year?

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    For some reason this came to mind. It probably doesn't apply but it's the best video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    "You don't know" by Reel Big Fish :3

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    When I was a youth, it was federally mandated that all videos of this sort use "The Time of Your Life" by Green Day. You could use it ironically.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    When I was a youth, it was federally mandated that all videos of this sort use "The Time of Your Life" by Green Day. You could use it ironically.

Time of Your Life and Madonna's "Remember" were required for every event.

I'd go with something by Frank Turner myself.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Pretty much any song people play at high school graduation ceremonies.

I'd say "Graduation" (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C but I'm evil like that.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Goodman it, knitdan. I'd finally gotten it out of my head after graduating like fifty years ago.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    We used this for one of ours, altho, I don't know if would have the same impact in the states as it does in Canada, uplifting chorus's tho.

https://youtu.be/CUdsABw3HN8

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The way it straight up lifts "Canon in D" means bits of it will be stuck in my head forever.

Also the fact that my brother's class used it in a loop for their 20 minute graduation video.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    For some reason I can only think of Muppets songs.
    "Saying Goodbye" or "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday".
    Probably not upbeat enough though.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Might not send the correct message though.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    All good options. We think we may avoid picking a song that has the "goodbye" lyrics and maybe go with something upbeat (starting and ending a little slower and fast in the middle).

Any thoughts?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Tom Waits - I'll be gone, and Alkaline Trio- Goodbye Forever are two that come to mind.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You could always do the cup stacking song...

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

FYI the actual title of this song is Good Riddance (Time of your life) which is a source of considerable amusement as it rather informs how the lyrics should be interpreted. It is already used ironically but unintentionally so.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    You could always do the cup stacking song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjsn4d9xUH4

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Pretty much any song people play at high school graduation ceremonies.

I'd say "Graduation" (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C but I'm evil like that.

Haha, they used that song back in my graduation back in the day. The song was kinda new at the time (2000), and they played it during the end of the graduation itself. Really got pretty much all the graduates crying XD . I have never seen that many kids cry at a graduation ever since.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    One of the songs they ALMOST used at our graduation was "Here's To The Night" by Eve 6. The graduating class voted on which songs they want to use while a panel of teachers had veto power. The Eve 6 song made it all the way to the final round of voting before someone finally pointed out to a teacher that it's about a one night stand. Then it got vetoed.

These damn tattle-tale kids, am I right?

Especially not fair since the class that graduated before us were allowed to use "Another Brick In the Wall" as their graduation song (yes, seriously). I mean COME ON.

*edit*

As a child of the early 90s whose parents forced him to go to church, I demand that you use "Friends Are Friends Forever" by Michael W Smith. It's sort of like the graduation song for youth groups of the early 90s. But also for funerals.

WordLust on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

FYI the actual title of this song is Good Riddance (Time of your life) which is a source of considerable amusement as it rather informs how the lyrics should be interpreted. It is already used ironically but unintentionally so.

But why does Tom keep grabbing me by the wrist?

What is this I don't even.