As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp] [Creating] A Fellowship!

The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Critical Failures
Hey folks.

I am looking to run a game of Fellowship, a system still in its infancy, and this will be my first go at it in a forum format. I am looking for 4 people to play this with. For now however, I am seeking simply to gauge interest. IF anyone is interested, or wants to learn more, post below and I'll happily discuss it.

What is Fellowship?

Fellowship is a fantasy RPG with a heavy emphasis on story and creating a world and its lore together as one adventuring party. Players will form a fellowship, with one player acting as the Overlord (Fellowships equivalent of a DM - this will be me), who acts as the overall adversary of the party and also the means by which challenges and puzzles are laid out. The fellowship will form bonds with each other, and the world around them, with deeper meanings than a simple one line statement at character creations. Much of the lore of the world will be created by the players as they play, moreso even than what the Overlord establishes.

One of the big features that makes this system unique is that each player in the fellowship is master of his own 'playbook'. A Playbook is a customization tool that allows a player to dictate not only the appearance and traits of their own character, but of their entire race. A lot of this will become apparent in creation, but an even greater part of this will come out as play progresses. Each player picks one of the races each to play, and from that point on takes on the role of shaping their race. Having your character behave a certain way in the world will be representative of how their race behaves as a whole. A dwarf who is racist towards his elf counterpart is very much representing his own races overall attitudes towards the elves.

Choose your race. Define what your race IS. Forge bonds with champions of the other races and step forward to stop an evil that blights the world. The game is all about developing the world as play goes on, and solving problems by having each races representative using their own strengths to complement one another. Players have full creative control over the race they choose to represent.

An example of play might involve a Fellowship consisting of representatives from a race of Dwarves made of stone, an Elf more akin to merfolk than Legolas, an Orc made of fungus and a kind forest giant being led by a 4-armed Harbinger to stop a psychotic Overlord from blowing up the world with his insane alchemy experiments.

Here is the description as written by the author:
Fellowship is a tabletop adventure game, where you get a bunch of friends together to save the world from an evil overlord bent on destroying everything. The game is built around the adventure - traveling the world, facing down challenges, protecting the weak, and defeating the grand villain attempting to destroy everything your characters love. One player takes on the role of the villain, and everyone else takes on the role of one of the heroes of the story, and everyone works together to tell the tale of your Fellowship.

Fellowship is about a world of History - each playbook gives its player the ability to define an entire people, their history, their lore, their past. Fellowship is about Loss - things are not what they used to be, and a great evil has brought about a great change in the world.

Fellowship is about Hope your losses will not stop you from rising up, pushing forward, and changing theworld again, thistime for the better. Fellowship has a lot to do with a great evil destroying the world if the players don't stop it, but this world is inherently optimistic. The heroes will succeed, as long as they can work together. The great evil is powerful, nearly unstoppable, but not completely unstoppable - with their wits, their teamwork, and the combined might of their people, the heroes will succeed. But it won't be easy.

Fellowship is a game about playing as the heroes in such a story, and figuring out just how they actually go about saving the world. You will go on an epic journey across the world, help people along the way, see miraculous things, and build a world around you as you fight the heart of evil itself. And if all goeswell, havea lot of fun with some friends while you're at it.

So how does a tabletop adventure game work?

In a Tabletop Adventure Game, you need to get a bunch of friends together, along with some six-sided dice, pencils, and paper. You will write down the events that happen, build a world together, and explore it through the lens of the heroes and villain you are playing as. The dice are used when an event's outcome is in question - when you need to know how your course of action turnsout, roll thedice to find out. Basically, you're re-imagining the Lord of the Rings movies with your friends, going on a grand adventure to find and defeat the villain who has thrown the world into peril.

Or maybe not Lord of the Rings, but more Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Wakfu, or Dragon Quest, or most of the Final Fantasy series’ main entries, or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. If it's an epic journey with a varied cast of heroes trying their best to defeat an evil final boss causing problems; that's what a game of Fellowship is.

Currently Available Playbooks:

The Dwarf
I have seen the bones of this world. The winds, howling against the mountains. Like the mountains, the Dwarves will never fall. We have endured. We will endure. But we know that nothin' lasts forever.

This threat you called us all here for, we feel it. We know it's comin'. Tha's why I came, why I was chosen to represent my people. Like a crop farmer takes winter, like an anvil takes blows, like a mountain takes an avalanche, so too shall I take this comin' darkness. The Dwarves will never fall, never yield, and never surrender. I am the Dwarf. I can take it.

Just you try me.

The Elf
I have witnessed many of this world's wonders. I have seen them come, and seen them go. My people have added to them, and taken them away. Our endless lives attain meaning in the pursuit of timeless perfection. Even among such wondrous people as these, I have earned respect, and that is why I have been chosen to defend our great works against this coming evil.

We elves may sometimes forget the world, lost in our dreams of beauty and perfection, but the world does not forget us, and we shall not let the world fall. Among all people, not just my Elves, can be found those of some worth. If you will have me, then my arts, my grace, and my wisdom will serve our common cause.

I am the Elf. We remember.

The Halfling
I have kept the good things secret and safe. We're small, often we'll go unnoticed, but any bully will pick on the weakest folk they can find. That's where I come in. I lead danger away, sling rocks at it, taunt it, trick it, you name it! If they won't pick on someone their own size, then you can't expect me to play fair, can you?

We like to duck our heads, enjoy our pleasures and live our lives peacefully inside of our comfortable little nooks. Comfort, safety, security - they're what's important, you know? So that's what I stand for, if you'll have me.

I am the Halfling, and my people are bigger than you think.

The Harbinger
I have walked this land long. I have seen many things. I have known many others.

Today, I speak of a great threat to this world. It must be opposed, but we cannot do so divided. Of my kind, I alone will stand against it, but we need true and hearty champions from all the world's peoples if we are to have hope. I know many of this evil's ways and secrets. Do not ask how. Such knowledge was earned painfully. Many have chosen to ignore my warnings, but I beg that you are not among them.

To those who have courage, to those who would see this world saved, to those who would be champions, I will guide you.

I am the Harbinger, and Doom is coming.

The Heir
My kingdom has stood for centuries, and its legacy lives on in me. The weight of history rests on my shoulders, but we live in an age where that history may be coming to an end. It is for that reason that I stand here now. So that our legacy shall never be forgotten, I pledge to oppose this rising evil. It is nothing less than my duty.

I see the path this evil has taken. In their wake, I see want, suffering, and fear. This I cannot allow. To any who would follow me, I promise, I shall lead you to victory. We shall not be lost this age. We shall prevail. Our history will go on.

I am the Heir, and the burden of history is my blade.

The Orc
I have earned my place in this world. It was earned with sweat of the brow and cunning of the hand. Progress, industry and toughness are what my people are known for, and they are the qualities that made me their champion. The world will change in our wake, whether poets and scholars and cowards like it or not.

Not for us is the shallow "beauty" of timeless stagnation. I will smash that which holds us back and destroy those who would dominate us. Nothing will stand in my way and remain unbroken. You have my word on that, if you will have my blade. For

I am the Orc, and my people will always move forward.

The Squire
I'm not much concerned with all these grand sorts of things.

I mean, they concern themselves with me often enough - that's what I get for stickin' my neck out - but I'm not gonna' go out of my way for any glory or fame or nothin'. I'm here because, well, it sounds like you need all the help you can get. Even if that help's just me.

I'm pretty handy, I suppose, and I know a lot of little tricks to make things easier. I'll keep us on track, no problem. We'll make it to the end of that road, and the return trip, to boot. I'll make sure of it, cross my heart.

Oh, do you need a hand with that? I'm the Squire, let me take care of it for ya'.

The Giant

Steam: TheBrayster
PSN: TheBrayster_92
The Brayster on

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Reserved for data dumping

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Whoop whoop this looks fun!

• DeoDeo Registered User regular
    I'd be interested. I backed this on KS and would love a chance to give it a go.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Is this available anywhere?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This is currently only available on kick starter. For anyone without access I am able to privately share your chosen races playbook and a cheat sheet.

I'll post later instructions on what to do to get started, but in the meantime, do any of you have a rough idea of what you want to play ?

I was thinking of an Heir who travels with a young sibling. The sibling has been prophesied to be the savior of their crumbling kingdom. The twist is that the Heir is the actual destined one, but the oracles lied because they knew he would fight harder to protect his sister than to protect himself, as he never really wanted to rule.

Okay, sounds good. The playbook will let you customise your heir, their species, what they are heir OF, their circumstances for being here and how they can use their status to benefit the party.

I'll send you that playbook when I get home.

Okay, sounds good. The playbook will let you customise your heir, their species, what they are heir OF, their circumstances for being here and how they can use their status to benefit the party.

I'll send you that playbook when I get home.

I'm good. I backed it on KS. It was @DaMoonRulz who needed playbooks.

I mean, I don't know ANYTHING about this game aside from what's in the OP. I'm content to just watch, but if you need another player I'll do my best

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I would ideally like 4 players so if you want to join in @DaMoonRulz , I am more than happy for you to do so. The game isn't even actually fully released yet, so it's highly doubtful anyone has actually done it before.

I'll send you a PM with the rulebook and you can have a read through.

The basic gist is:

This is a story game. Most of the focus lies on how the Fellowship relate to one another, how they work together, and how they interact with the Overlord.

There is no strict turn order. This game uses a spotlight system, when someone does something, the just do it as long as need be. The moment their action stops being interesting, someone else jumps in and does their thing. If no one picks up after the player before, the Overlord can use the gap to do something himself or force a player into the spotlight.

There is combat, but the amount of crunch is small.

Any time you do anything, you roll 2d6 and add the related stat. 10+ is outright success. 7-9 is partial success, less than that is failure.

The GM plays the Overlord. They're still setting the scene and obstacles, but the Overlord is an actual character with his own character sheet and dice to roll.

@Deo if you are comfortable with it, you can just go ahead and create your Heir playbook and post what you've come up with here. It would be good for everyone to see what that looks like.

I kinda like the idea of the Harbinger.

Is each book a separate race?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

They are indeed. The harbinger, heir and squire are either human or a feasible new race of your description

Didn't know we were picking. Harbinger would of been my top pick.

I'm good with Squire too

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I'm good with Squire too

I've got other choices. Orc and Dwarf look cool.

Eh, now I wanna do Squire, so you can be Harbinger.

Just don't kill Kaidan this time.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I can roll to determine who gets what if more than one person want a thing.

If anyone knows of one more person who might like this, care to invite them? We can do 3, but I'd like 1 more

edited February 2016
    I will be your Sancho Panza :winky:

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

Sounds good guys. If no one else joins by tomorrow I'll just start the ball rolling and leave a spot or two open as we go.

Feel free to ask any questions or discuss your choices in the mean time.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Is the Giant an option? There's no spoiler box, but giants are rad.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited February 2016
    Sorry yes, I forgot to explain this. The giant is an option, but it is a preview release. The playbook is mostly there, but there is no flavor text (like seen in the other boxes) and a few of their abilities are simply listed as 'Placeholder'. If during play the full version is released I'll send the giant player the newer version and allow them to make the necessary adjustments.

There's certainly enough there to use anyway. What is there can actually be quite humorous, I have laughed a couple of times reading over their abilities. My favourite of its starting weapons is 'A Boulder you just found. You can reload this weapon by going off to find another boulder'.

Other party members can ride the giant with its permission too.

The Brayster on
    Okay, lets get this ball rolling. Each of you should now have access to a copy of the rulebook, if you don't, let me know. Chapter 3 of said book is devoted to creating the fellowship. Please complete steps 1-5 and post what you come up with in this thread.

I will then create an Overlord that best complements you guys.

Bonds will then be created between each member of the Fellowship and the Overlord.

Lastly, bonds will then be established between fellowship members.

@Auralynx be sure to look through the other playbooks to see if anything appeals. The Giant is not in that book however, so if you decide you want to play as one let me know and I'll forward you the preview playbook.

Almost done with my character. Will have it up tonight when I get home from work--just need to go through the book and remember how armor and such works before I decide on my last gear choice.

But, the gist is:
    My character is a prince in hiding, of a lost kingdom called Voss. They appear human, but the royal bloodline has mingled with fire elementals. The Prince disguises himself as a bodyguard for his sister, Aura, who the prophecy says is destined to bring the rebirth of the kingdom, like a Phoenix from the ashes, but the truth is that the oracles who gave the prophecy lied, and it is actually the Prince destined to save his people--but he was kind of a vagabond playboy previously and wanted no part in ruling or fighting the Overlord. The prophecy brought him back home to protect his sister from the minions of the Overlord who are likely looking to keep the prophecy from coming true, and set him on the road to his destiny, where otherwise he would have drank away the rest of his life.

So, most of his stuff is combat-oriented, with the majority of his "I'm a noble, listen to me!" Things easily covered by his sister being present.

I'll need a hand with creation just to make sure I don't screw it up completely. In my mind I keep coming back to more of a Bilbo situation, where he wasn't really made aware of what all he was getting himself into. Torn between Adventure Time agenda, or, if someone is interested bringing a helper from back home along, a They Need Me agenda

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Okay, lets get this ball rolling. Each of you should now have access to a copy of the rulebook, if you don't, let me know. Chapter 3 of said book is devoted to creating the fellowship. Please complete steps 1-5 and post what you come up with in this thread.

I will then create an Overlord that best complements you guys.

Bonds will then be created between each member of the Fellowship and the Overlord.

Lastly, bonds will then be established between fellowship members.

@Auralynx be sure to look through the other playbooks to see if anything appeals. The Giant is not in that book however, so if you decide you want to play as one let me know and I'll forward you the preview playbook.

I could work with Elf, Orc, or Dwarf but Giant, bro. Giant.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

@Auralynx I will be the Billy Crystal to your Gheorghe Muresan

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@DaMoonRulz is there anything specific you need help with?

@Auralynx I'll fire over the giant playbook when I'm next on my PC

I am now brainstorming some variety of semi-Lovecraftian space giant.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

I'm very much looking forward to all of your attempts to break the game system.

... the whole point of a story game, especially one pretty derivative of the Apocalypse World stuff, is to try to make a character that has a bunch of cool abilities you can roll 3s on and let the DM tell you how went wrong.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

... the whole point of a story game, especially one pretty derivative of the Apocalypse World stuff, is to try to make a character that has a bunch of cool abilities you can roll 3s on and let the DM tell you how went wrong.

Absolutely. But even better is when you actually manage to succeed through some serious out of the blue insanity to leave everyone else in the game reeling for days.

It's funny and can be a real learning experience. Like I said, I look forward to it.

Maybe I'm just way over thinking it, but Squire seems kinda like a reactive character choice, that when creating plays best off of other characters in the Fellowship

3basnids3lf9.jpg

The Squire does have that sort of tone to him/her, I agree. They are very much a supporting role. They can be VERY strong if used correctly though.

With a 5-player group i'm running in real life, the Squire player is roleplaying pretty seriously as being a protector of The Heir, who is a pretty reckless player, and is probably the only reason they're still alive. They're also the only reason why the group knows my Overlords Weakness and so forced me to use one of the Overlords 1-use powers very early on.

Yeah O totally want to know his weakness.

It's a copper dome. Isn't it? (Man I love Megamind)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It's a smart thing to go for, because unless it is something extremely out of the way the overlord is forced to use 'Now who told you THAT?'* for one of their first level-ups

*Overlord removes the weakness the Fellowship knows and comes up with a new one. One-use only.

I'm going to have a Darth Vader moment with the Overlord, except I am your Father!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

But that aside, anyone finalised what they want to do?

Oh, is there an actual Character Sheet to use?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Here's a first stab at this, since I don't have a ton of choices to make Giant-wise:

Bel-Shahaz al Ran, the Giant
    Looks: Wise eyes, bald with a huge beard, fancy robe, lanky body
    Agenda: Gentle Giant
    Blood +2, Courage +1, Grace -1, Sense +2, Wisdom +0
    Type of Giant: Giant of Myth
    Stuff: Giant-sized food (3 uses, feeds Bel-shahaz or 5 smaller people), Fists (melee), huge brass club (Melee, giant-sized), a boulder (ranged, giant-sized, dangerous, reload), Herbs from the Garden of the Mighty (Healing, 1 use, giant-sized), Regeneration (2 uses)
    Custom: Speak Only When You Mean It

Bel-Shahaz is a Babylonian-art-looking giant from the depths of space / some other dimension / etc. The Giants were the first people on this world but were doomed to move aside for the smaller races by cosmic inevitability / space magic / some sort of curse / etc. Bel-Shahaz is one of the few that remain among the mortals of this realm any longer. He has an enormous curly black beard, olive skin, and eyes that twinkle with swirling stars. Bel-Shahaz is quiet and reserved. He loves gardening and birds, and lives at the Garden of the Mighty, which exists in a place not normally accessible by mortals, among a handful of other giants when he is not busy saving the world.

Subject to revision and elaboration, obviously, but that's where I'm going with that for now. Probably I'll take some of the fancy "Look how giant I am!" moves if we level, but for now, Bel-Shahaz is a repository of extremely persuasive cosmic knowledge.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Oh, is there an actual Character Sheet to use?

It's effectively just the playbook, where you write in the stats. The real life idea is everyone gets their own printed copy then writes down/crosses things off of it. I'm personally just using a word document for my stuff then copying it over here as it becomes relevant.