As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh boohoo your fucking sandhill cranes.

I live in the DC area, and we have fucking Canadian Geese.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Lovely wrote: »
    ..........I uh, I like seeing the sandhill cranes around.... They usually hang out in groups of three and it's cute. .... One shows up at a door we don't really use at work sometime that has a reflective surface. He's apparently trying to show off how much cooler he is than window-bird to his nearby lady friend.

I read that as the crane had a reflective surface.

Take me to your chrome crane.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah, speaking in funny accents and wondering if McDonalds serves poutine.

God.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

We get those three months a year. They team up with the sandhill cranes. I got no sympathy.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

We get those three months a year. They team up with the sandhill cranes. I got no sympathy.

I moved from Canada to Ohio and they followed me here - they are present yearlong.

• Options
    Worth noting about the terror of the sandhill crane:

sacr_d.gif

You all get them sometimes, we get them all times!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Canadian Geese - totally misnamed because they're dickbags. Pooping on everything and yelling at everybody. They're basically an angry toddler with a beak. Toddlers don't need beaks.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

sacr_d.gif

Why don't the ones in Florida migrate like normal?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

sacr_d.gif

They're retired.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Canadian Geese - totally misnamed because they're dickbags. Pooping on everything and yelling at everybody. They're basically an angry toddler with a beak. Toddlers don't need beaks.

That's why they're so angry. Canadians know a dark ritual that takes all the anger in the country and puts it in their Geese.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

sacr_d.gif

Because they are a non indigenous species that was forcibly brought to the region outside of its normal migratory pattern and found a niche there in Florida that does not require them to leave. Likely because the climate there experiences little seasonal change. Also since the birds were removed from their normal migratory region they likely don't even know where to migrate to or from and don't need to since again Florida changes very little seasonally.

... Heyyyy have we heard anything else about the y'all qeada recently or are they still on total blackout?

Sleep on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I was thinking about these sovereign types and secessionists in general, and wondering if this was a specific thing to America. Like I know there are ethnic seperatists, Scots, Basques, etc, but is there some big group of, say, ethnic han Chinese wanting to seperate from China or Germans wanting to seperate from Germany as opposed to just having a revolution and changing the government? I can't think of too many examples outside the US or at least the new world.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

sacr_d.gif

Because it's nice for them year round.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Well they're CANADA Geese, not Canadian Geese.

They also have teeth which is bullshit.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So I was thinking about these sovereign types and secessionists in general, and wondering if this was a specific thing to America. Like I know there are ethnic seperatists, Scots, Basques, etc, but is there some big group of, say, ethnic han Chinese wanting to seperate from China or Germans wanting to seperate from Germany as opposed to just having a revolution and changing the government? I can't think of too many examples outside the US or at least the new world.

Tibet is probably a good example, and there's some secessionist movements in Eastern Europe as an aftermath result of the Iron Curtain.
    I'm not sure if there are a lot of really good examples of exactly what is going on with the secessionists or sovereign citizens in the US taking place outside of the US though. Every place where there's secessionist movements they're mired in their own historical backgrounds and contexts.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Definitely not the "sand cranes: threat or menace" thread, am i right

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Definitely not the "sand cranes: threat or menace" thread, am i right

it's never to early to assess the bird threat TL DR

do you even know bird law

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Tibet is probably a good example, and there's some secessionist movements in Eastern Europe as an aftermath result of the Iron Curtain.
    I'm not sure if there are a lot of really good examples of exactly what is going on with the secessionists or sovereign citizens in the US taking place outside of the US though. Every place where there's secessionist movements they're mired in their own historical backgrounds and contexts.

Secessionists who hold territory are a common feature of the Third World. Even nations like Mexico have areas like Chiapas, where the government's authority is tenuous at best. Many nations have unrecognized independent states that have their own governments, issue passports, etc. The Kurds are the best known example.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Tibet (and Xinjaing which is a similar case) is a matter of ethnic and religious secession as far as I recall, though. I'm talking about cases where a group of the dominant ethnic group and religion wants to secede over political or ideological reasons.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I was in DC for training last summer, and stumbling across a big pile of Canadian Geese by the Reflecting Pool was quite a surprise.

"... it's not winter? What are you assholes doing down here??"

(I'm aware that not every last bird will migrate the whole route every time, etc).

And while a drift in topic, I'm kind of glad things at least seem to be settling. Hopefully this 'time out' to mull over things gets the final four to hand in the towel peacefully in the near future.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

That's why they're so angry. Canadians know a dark ritual that takes all the anger in the country and puts it in their Geese.

and the ritual must be conducted in english, which is why Quebec is so angry because it's illegal there

override367 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

AKA "Where the Canadians hid all their 'Asshole' genes"

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So now we know why the Glorious Edict has an exception that allows you to call people Silly Goose.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Last 4 have all been charged, so they went from having 1 charged to all charged. Good job guys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Last 4 have all been charged, so they went from having 1 charged to all charged. Good job guys.

There it is. I'm kinda sad we can't hear their reactions, but at this point it's probably a lot of crying because they have to know they are just, so, so fucked. Like at this point I kinda just feel bad for them. These 4 definitely aren't the masterminds, and they likely fell for a pretty big lie, and now their lives will be ruined because of it. I'm not advocating for letting them go, I just kinda feel bad for them. I gotta wonder what the collapse of their echo chambers and shit is doing to them psychologically.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

and the ritual must be conducted in english, which is why Quebec is so angry because it's illegal there

A+ joke

But you know, talk about the actual subject of the thread rather than geese.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

There it is. I'm kinda sad we can't hear their reactions, but at this point it's probably a lot of crying because they have to know they are just, so, so fucked. Like at this point I kinda just feel bad for them. These 4 definitely aren't the masterminds, and they likely fell for a pretty big lie, and now their lives will be ruined because of it. I'm not advocating for letting them go, I just kinda feel bad for them. I gotta wonder what the collapse of their echo chambers and shit is doing to them psychologically.

Eh these guys had a chance to leave, made an overcaculation based on their false belief system and they are now paying for it. I don't feel bad for self inflicted stupidity. I hope for a peaceful resolution, which I believe there will be, none of these guys seem like true believers. More like mislead sheep who are realizing that slightly too late.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I don't feel bad for them. Not even in the 'worlds tiniest violin' sort of way.

Their lives being ruined was their own fault, they made the informed choice to do this knowing (indeed, wishing for) the possible consequences of their actions. They have been given countless opportunities to avoid this outcome, and rejected every single one.

Yeah, they bit off more than they could chew and they chose to follow the wrong people, but this one falls entirely in their lap.

These guys belong in prison, and they should be showing and telling everyone just how bad and stupid of an idea this was and why nobody else should ever do it.

Besides, they will have a decent defense in court from the loony 'go fund me' defense fund, and when they get out they will probably get some book or movie deal that will be advertised next to the 'buy gold' ads on Stormfront or Redstate or whatever nutjob white nationalist site is.

There is no sympathy here. If anyone belongs in prison, or punished to send a lesson, it's every last one of these guys. This is one of the few cases where I truly believe harsh punishment acts as a deterrent.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

A+ joke

But you know, talk about the actual subject of the thread rather than geese.

It's on topic as this is a thread about silly geese.

You really brought this upon yourself with the edict and all.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Cliven Bundy was actively telling the last holdouts they should stay there.

I still hold out hope that they nab him for his own seditionist activities and finally close the book on this chapter of Vanilla ISIS once and for all.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I have no sympathy for the geese. They went to Oregon by choice, made the choice to go with a group of armed folk who opposed the US government, made the choice not to surrender. They have made a series of bad choices. They're every bit as responsible for their choices as anyone choosing to commit a crime. You don't get out of drunk driving or shooting your neighbor over a perceived slight due to "I'm a moron, your honour." And you definitely don't get out based on "I reject the claimed authority of this court over me."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I hope they don't do something stupid like shoot themselves with police guns

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    I hope they don't do something stupid like shoot themselves with police guns

Same. First, it would be traumatic to the police doing the firing and they didn't ask to be put in this situation (the risk is part of the job, but shooting folk when forced always sucks and no one should have to do so, especially for something as dumb as this).

Second because each time one gets gunned down rather than arrested it stirs up more crackpots to attack the police which, again, have a hard enough job.

Third because the media will be stupid about it.

And a distant fourth would be because these yokels probably were raised into these deluded practices and feel trapped by their own awful situations. Hopefully they get enough of a clue to go in peacefully, serve their 2-4 years, and go about the rest of their lives rather than lose them over a bird sanctuary and grazing rights for their (mostly) non-existent cattle.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzgzy2KXyxqtc1ctUTRiX2lhNGM/view

Indictments from the grand jury are now unsealed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Eh these guys had a chance to leave, made an overcaculation based on their false belief system and they are now paying for it. I don't feel bad for self inflicted stupidity. I hope for a peaceful resolution, which I believe there will be, none of these guys seem like true believers. More like mislead sheep who are realizing that slightly too late.

Oh yeah I can clearly see why it's definitely their own fault, and that they are totally deserving of some jail time, and a complete inability to own guns ever again. I guess I just pity their stupidity. I don't often say this (because it's a total dick thing to say), but I'm a fairly intelligent individual. Which I trust the validity of that statement as far as I trust the people around me that say that. I just can't the fuck even imagine falling for what they fell for while thinking jail wasn't a likely outcome of my actions. It pangs me to see idiocy on that scale, and to recognize that they don't (or hopefully didn't) even think they were being monumentally idiotic.

Like I said I would really love to just hear them talk through the existential crisis they have to be having at this moment.

Edit: more precisely the existential crisis I hope they are having.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Nevermind, apparently bird discussions have been tabled!

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    This is just getting sad. But I guess thats the fear and denial kicking in now.

"We're just camping!"

"You're just pissing us off and delaying the inevitable."

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm glad this is mostly wrapped up. They should totally move in on Cliven this is the best chance to arrest him with little repercussion

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Yeah, Canada Geese are just complete assholes. They used to hang around the parking lots at my university between cars and then when you would "get too close" my walking down the row of cars they'd leap out from between the cars and attack you. And I do mean leap. Like, a whole Canada Goose coming at you, wings spread, at about chest height.

They also poop everywhere. Fuck em.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry Tube.

shryke on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My dad hated the Canada Geese that inhabited the golf course he was a groundskeeper for since they just shit everywhere and harassed the players.

This discussion has been closed.