As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Pax Arcadia; Vexillum Ferri; Pugilem, Veneficus, Venator.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    actually come to think of it, the gear progression between 280 and 315 right now is just basically fucked

you either can't raid because you don't have enough friends or don't want to or whatever, so you're basically stuck in that 280-300 dead zone

or you can raid and you blast past 310 and then there is literally nothing in the game worth doing except hard mode and various timed events like IB or Trials, which many people don't have any interest in doing because it's pvp

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    Normal mode is just insanely low pressure / stress. If you've actually never raided in Destiny, ever, I can see how raiding can be stressful and going into a normal mode can be a good step to just ease into that kind of content.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Celian wrote: »
    Normal mode is just insanely low pressure / stress. If you've actually never raided in Destiny, ever, I can see how raiding can be stressful and going into a normal mode can be a good step to just ease into that kind of content.

hmm, true, yeah it's definitely nice to be able to make mistakes and not ruin everything

• Options
    though really the hardest parts about hard mode are the game itself fucking up because of latency or bugs or whatever

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I still think it's dumb that revives are disabled in hard mode; I'd much rather they just increase the time and/or the time it takes to revive someone.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    I still think it's dumb that revives are disabled in hard mode; I'd much rather they just increase the time and/or the time it takes to revive someone.

yeah, i don't think it's ever felt more challenging

it's more like oh one person died maybe we can make this

oh two people died i guess we wipe and start over

SO MUCH FUN YOU GUYS

especially when you die because, as happened to me the other night for instance, you see the axion bolt fire from the tomb ship, and it actually happened 5 seconds ago and guess what you're already dead!

• Options

I don't mind the mechanic itself for the vast majority of encounters. However, something like Oryx lasts for SO LONG that a late screw up just wasted you 20 minutes. It brings back horrific memories of those WoW bosses that had 4-5 phases to them and lasted for sooooo long. Those late wipe on C'thun... oh the horrors! And that graveryard run too.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

I don't mind the mechanic itself for the vast majority of encounters. However, something like Oryx lasts for SO LONG that a late screw up just wasted you 20 minutes. It brings back horrific memories of those WoW bosses that had 4-5 phases to them and lasted for sooooo long. Those late wipe on C'thun... oh the horrors! And that graveryard run too.

Lich King fight if you fell off the edge was the worst.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I think the wife remains ill so I could log on tonight. Normal mode, hard mode. Whatever. Last night was kind of a "where the hell is everyone" moment.

• Options

I'd much rather they apply it only in appropriate contexts, much like it were a kind of "Nightfall" modifier. And to that I end, I think that Hard Mode Raids should be designed in such a way that the specific sections make use of those modifiers to emphasize the flavor of those encounters. For instance, having the Thrall-Maze have No Radar and Slow Shield Recharge (whatever those are called); in that way, the sense of being lost in a light-draining hellscape is emphasized, and the encounter is more about a team watching each other's back. Of course, it will probably just get cheezed by Don't Touch Me Hunters, but whatever.

• Options

I'd much rather they apply it only in appropriate contexts, much like it were a kind of "Nightfall" modifier. And to that I end, I think that Hard Mode Raids should be designed in such a way that the specific sections make use of those modifiers to emphasize the flavor of those encounters. For instance, having the Thrall-Maze have No Radar and Slow Shield Recharge (whatever those are called); in that way, the sense of being lost in a light-draining hellscape is emphasized, and the encounter is more about a team watching each other's back. Of course, it will probably just get cheezed by Don't Touch Me Hunters, but whatever.

Awesome ideas! Then you can splice in my idea where you can turn on EXTRA modifiers to give you a difficulty multiplier that would grant better rewards. And voila! You got built-in challenge modes that players can pick and chose!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Just going to throw a big "I'M SORRY FOR ANY FUTURE WIPES TO COME" ahead of time given that this will be my first raid in the game.

I know you don't know the ropes, but all wipes and anything wrong is either blamed on Obama or @Bolthorn.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Just going to throw a big "I'M SORRY FOR ANY FUTURE WIPES TO COME" ahead of time given that this will be my first raid in the game.

I know you don't know the ropes, but all wipes and anything wrong is either blamed on Obama or @Bolthorn.

Do I still blame Obama if I'm Canadian?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I think the wife remains ill so I could log on tonight. Normal mode, hard mode. Whatever. Last night was kind of a "where the hell is everyone" moment.

Poisoning your wife to get decent playtime is some serious dedication.

Sirialis on
  • Options

Do I still blame Obama if I'm Canadian?

Yes, but we have to apologize after doing it. It's the Canadian way.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Yeah, I only suggested normal mode because he originally said he was at 286, which would not really be fun in hard mode as he'd get one shot by just about everything. If you can get above 300, though, you should totally get carried to a CM.

And I totally agree that "no revives" is a pretty horrible mechanic for hard mode, and is a crutch for the design of it. They even invalidate the mechanics of some of the fights (tablet of ruin).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Yeah, I only suggested normal mode because he originally said he was at 286, which would not really be fun in hard mode as he'd get one shot by just about everything. If you can get above 300, though, you should totally get carried to a CM.

And I totally agree that "no revives" is a pretty horrible mechanic for hard mode, and is a crutch for the design of it. They even invalidate the mechanics of some of the fights (tablet of ruin).

yeah, i love that the only two real threats in the golgo fight are being overwhelmed by adds and too many deaths

and in the "hard" mode, there are fewer real threats

well, other than someone not watching their buffs :P

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Chanus wrote: »

yeah, i love that the only two real threats in the golgo fight are being overwhelmed by adds and too many deaths

@Arteen s sisters internet or Xbox Live is our 3rd troublemaker.

"Get out of the pool on my count" --- "Silence" - people begin to die from Golgoroth slam - Meta Lise has left your fireteam and Groupchat...

We (I?) deal with it by using the most common tactic - By blaming @morgan_coke

Sirialis on
  • Options
    It would have been cool if hard mode Golgo actually demanded that you engage in coordinated passing of his gaze and making use of all the orbs, but no revives and the constant spawning of Exploding Thralls makes it so unrealistic (and unfun) to even consider doing that without a full team that has practiced the encounter to a miserable extent.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

Arteen s sisters internet or Xbox Live is our 3rd troublemaker.

"Get out of the pool on my count" --- "Silence" - people die - Meta Lise has left your fireteam...

That used to be us with Booker's internet. Its why we named out raid group NATBurn. Its like a separate difficulty modifier just for groups with internet connection issues.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

"Get out of the pool on my count" --- "Silence" - people begin to die from Golgoroth slam - Meta Lise has left your fireteam and Groupchat...

To be fair Morgan is generally on Thrall duty so he's the default problem.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

To be fair Morgan is generally on Thrall duty so he's the default problem.

I never appreciate @patrkslayzy23 (NATBurn's resident Thraller) so much as when I roll with another group and get exploded on constantly. Dude is on top of it.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited February 2016
    My Golgoroth Challenge every week now is hoping to get Unstable Light right after we beat the Boss, then seeing how many teammates I can hug kill!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Brogey wrote: »
    My Golgoroth Challenge every week now is hoping to get Unstable Light right after we beat the Boss, then seeing how many teammates I can hug kill!

I'm winning that game right now. Harumph

Bogey: 2
    Obi: 1
    AllDngs: 0
    Booker: 0
    Shad: -1
    Gravi: -1

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually come to think of it, the gear progression between 280 and 315 right now is just basically fucked

you either can't raid because you don't have enough friends or don't want to or whatever, so you're basically stuck in that 280-300 dead zone

or you can raid and you blast past 310 and then there is literally nothing in the game worth doing except hard mode and various timed events like IB or Trials, which many people don't have any interest in doing because it's pvp

the complete absence of anything outside the raid game or pvp blows my mind, because MMOs like wow figured out that you needed something for the demographic that doesn't do those things, because that is the largest demographic of your players

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    ObiFett wrote: »

I'm winning that game right now.

Obi - 1
    Gravi - 0
    I got @Erevar and one other the first time I tried it a few weeks ago. (It helps when they're in menus looking at loot!) :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Obi - 1
    Gravi - 0
    I got Erevar and one other the first time I tried it a few weeks ago. (It helps when they're in menus looking at loot!) :P

Someone got me last week. :(

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I got a treads upon stars and villainy last night and this damn update won't let me try out either.

bungie, why do you reveal that underboob just to turn away

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

I know you don't know the ropes, but all wipes and anything wrong is either blamed on Obama or Bolthorn.

And because of this I've also started claiming the blame for our successes as well. So keep that in mind if things go extremely well.

....they won't.

• Options
    some cosplay i just saw on the internet

destiny_hunter_cosplay_by_fredprops-d9q5qrv.jpg

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That's my favorite Hunter cloak! But is he wearing AlphaLupi and Nighthawk?

• Options
    Wearing Celestial Nighthawk and Crest of Alpha Lupi?!

Not a real Destiny player

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Is that the year one Dead Orbit cloak?

• Options
    Wearing Celestial Nighthawk and Crest of Alpha Lupi?!

Not a real Destiny player

clearly he's a hacker of extreme prowess

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular

Obi - 1
    Gravi - 0
    I got Erevar and one other the first time I tried it a few weeks ago. (It helps when they're in menus looking at loot!) :P

I'm not checking loot, I'm swapping weapons! After Golgy I change primary to ToM, secondary to 1kY Stare (or Stillpiercer), heavy to RL. Depending on class, I'm probably swapping sub-class, too.

I suck at the "blow up your teammates" game because my first instinct is to try to avoid murdering you guys. xD

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »

Looks like it

• Options

Looks like it

Actually, looking closer, it could be the DO Exotic cloak, but either way the hood is the same

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I know you don't know the ropes, but all wipes and anything wrong is either blamed on Obama or Bolthorn.

And because of this I've also started claiming the blame for our successes as well. So keep that in mind if things go extremely well.

....they won't.

That just means it's you fault we didn't do better before because you were, obviously, holding back on us.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Obi - 1
    Gravi - 0

Someone got me last week. :(

Who would do this to you!?

:rotate:

... I spent way too long trying to find a good smiley for this.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

I'm winning that game right now. Harumph

Bogey: 2
    Obi: 1
    AllDngs: 0
    Booker: 0
    Shad: -1
    Gravi: -1

How do I have -1 when I totally blew you up (and then teabagged you) that one time?

EDIT: Or are we not counting that because it didn't happen after a successful kill?

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)