As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, January 5, 2016 - Friendship

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Friendship

Friendship
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/friendship

They can’t give an award out to everyone.

Anonymous

Working as a web designer and developer for the games division of a Very Large Software Company, I had the opportunity to work on some impressive and fun projects. Back in the day before Millennials were a thing, web sites were more information-focused and less complex than they are today, and “web masters” (as they were once called) often found themselves doing every aspect for a particular project by themselves.

So one day, my boss forwards me an email from product marketing; it was the specifications for a sub-site, complete with verbiage, some assets, and a list of functional requirements. I dutifully prepared the web site, going back and forth with marketing over the site on our development server. Once completed, the often time-consuming process of Final Approval™ was the only obstacle to delivery.

I went on vacation with my girlfriend and prepared an email to my boss and delegate as to the status of the project, as well as the 30 seconds’ worth of work required to make the web site go live. It went live while I was on vacation without a hitch.

Fast forward six months later, and I was assigned a small section to add to our Intranet site announcing the recognition of certain employees for their efforts on specific projects and that these employees would be awarded a plaque and a payment of $800 at a company awards banquet. One of the projects being “recognized” was my very own sub-site.

Shockingly, the people they mentioned were: the marketing folks (no problem), my boss, and the fill-in who had literally pressed a button to launch it. My name was notable in its absence.

I complained to the lady in whatever-division-handles-award-giving-out and explained my situation. I complained that I had worked on the entire project alone from an IT and design perspective, that I had completed 99.9999% of the project. I pointed out that it had been assigned to me, and not the other recipients. I pointed out that the delegate had only pushed the site live, and my boss had only forwarded the original email to me and that given those credentials, I was certainly due recognition, the plaque, and the little bonus cheque (given tax deducations, the plaque was the more valuable item).

You know what her response to me was? “We can’t give awards out to everyone who was involved in the project.”

Jesus.

When my boss and my coworker went up on stage in their tuxes to receive their accolades, I did not clap.

Geth on

• GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    The lag has gotten so bad we're doing Thanksgiving in January. It's getting more difficult to keep checking this website.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure that is actually the joke at this point. It's basically going meta on itself.

Though the updates have sped from once a month to almost once a week now it seems? Could be an upswing. Seems like the life support has found a heart beat.

• Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    More like the involuntary twitches of the recently deceased.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that is actually the joke at this point. It's basically going meta on itself.

Though the updates have sped from once a month to almost once a week now it seems? Could be an upswing. Seems like the life support has found a heart beat.
    Eh? The pace has been about one comic every two weeks for a while now. That hasn't changed here.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Probably don't need to keep pasting that 'They can’t give an award out to everyone' tale. It's understood that that's the tale.

@Finnish_Line you know what sucks is I'm finally on the cusp of getting into the games industry and ever since this comic came out, I've been looking forward to submitting my own stories :/

• AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    You've been looking forward to experiencing the horror, sadness and desperation that comes from these tales? Or are you looking forward to being fired after working crunch time?

@Amaryl Both actually.

• melaltonmelalton Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    While we wait the weeks until the next update, I've decided to amuse myself by making a parody Trenches comic. My plots will not be nearly as coherent though. http://thetranches.tumblr.com/

melalton on
    Site promises 7 new comics since January 5. None delivered.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    So do you people want more Trenches or less

I can't fucking tell

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I can't fucking tell
    Personally, I just want some kind of consistency. Either get it up to the previously announced schedule, or just kill it.

It feels like the comic is just being horribly half-assed.

sig.gif
    Communication would be nice.

Consistency even better.

False advertising done away with.

Quality control across all Penny Arcade properties.

• Suburban_ArcanaSuburban_Arcana Registered User regular
    Personally I'd like to see that spot on Penny-Arcade.com to be taken up by something, anything else. It's an eyesore.

edited January 2016
    I think the strip must be reaching the event horizon of a black hole, since the time between updates is longer and longer.

New parody "The Tranches" update is up: http://thetranches.tumblr.com/

melalton on
    edited February 2016
    Anyone else notice that the threads page lists this thread as "Most recent comment: Jan 5th", even though there are comments later than that here? It's like the site operators want this thread to fall back into the 2nd and later pages, to hide it.

melalton on
    I hope we get a Tranches update soon.

@Tube we want more comics, but as many said, it feels like so many broken promises right now. The lack of communication is astounding.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    melalton wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the threads page lists this thread as "Most recent comment: Jan 5th", even though there are comments later than that here? It's like the site operators want this thread to fall back into the 2nd and later pages, to hide it.

It's sunk, like every other thread in his category. We didn't hack into the cloud servers that this forum is hosted on to hide a thread. Fucking obviously.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    In fairness the way the sunk threads work can be confusing if you don't know that's what's going on.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

I can't fucking tell

I think people just want to know what they are doing with it.

The premise of the whole thing is a really good idea, it's just not been executed well at all and feels like it just gets juggled around constantly.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »

I can't fucking tell

I think people just want to know what they are doing with it.

The premise of the whole thing is a really good idea, it's just not been executed well at all and feels like it just gets juggled around constantly.

Yeah I think we would all like to see more Trenches if it's going to be done well, or at even done in a manner that... gives any sign the people responsible for it care, at all.

But if that's not going to be the case then we'd prefer the damn thing just be put out of its misery.

Gaslight wrote: »
    In fairness the way the sunk threads work can be confusing if you don't know that's what's going on.

Ah, threads that are too old don't auto-jump to top of list when replied to. Ok.

To be honest, I never know what to expect here. Trenches sometimes feels like a "The Prisoner" type experiment, where I'm constantly looking for hidden rationals behind every occurrence. "Is this thread too old, or is it being suppressed? Has there been no update because they are re-tooling the comic and one day soon it'll relaunch, or are they waiting until comments die down to release a new one. Wait, if we keep commenting, they won't release a new one. Hmmmm."

Over a week since the last Tranches update. What's going on with the Tranches?

forty wrote: »

We've had to change... something. Artists, maybe. Anyways - new Tranches strip! thetranches.tumblr.com/

• AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular

I can't fucking tell

What'd I'd like is an update schedule that is adhered too - with a knowledge of when a new strip is supposed to be up.

And if its going to be killed, or if there's a break, of a season has ended and something is going on, I'd like to be able to find that somewhere.

We can't debate the quality of a comic strip based on content, when there's no content provided, while the PA homepage still has devoted a chunk of space telling people about the trenches and its "Tuesday/Thursday/ update, sitting there untouched. A dark, dead phantom office baby, staring directly in our souls unending. Because ultimately - if this continues, and there will be an update - I wonder, will the people that made the Trenches Clap? The final Trenches tale - says something else. I understand this last paragraph is full of meta trenches stuff.. and that's probably not needed.

But, I'd like to know what the official plan is with Trenches going forward.

• Kevin McClureKevin McClure Registered User new member
    edited February 2016

I can't fucking tell

Honestly? No.

Just put this awful comic out of its misery.
    It has not been funny for a very long time and was never ever as funny as Penny Arcade or Camp Weedonwancha.
    Link ANYTHING else.
    The "Trenches" is the worst front page presence of Penny Arcade.

There are 400 web comics waiting to take this awful comic that doesn't publish updates place.

Penny Arcade has a solid established brand. I am not telling anyone anything.
    It is a consistent delight.
    I have contributed from T-Shirt purchases and random other merchandise.
    Katie I have contributed through kickstarter.

I have no problem contributing to people who are stars in their field.

The Trenches simply isn't.
    Kill it with fire.

Kevin McClure on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yall seem real invested in the fate of a webcomic you don't seem to like

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    He's right.

We should care about it as little as the creators obviously do.

edited February 2016

We've had to change... something. Artists, maybe. Anyways -
    This made me laugh. Thank you.

forty on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just miss the industry stories. The comic I couldn't give a shit. It was like Bazooka Joe. The comic was a brief distraction while I chewed my gum.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • alex_themanalex_theman Registered User new member
    I did a thing and made a tumblr for "Tales from the Trenches" style stories to be submitted.
    tranches-tales.tumblr.com/

• Kevin McClureKevin McClure Registered User new member
    "Invested" isn't a word I would use for this comic.
    Awful.
    Embarrassed.
    Ashamed.
    Terrible.
    Frustrated.

The problem with this comic on the front page of Penny Arcade is the eyesore.
    I would rather an ad appear there.
    Just do another Strip Search or award 2nd place with the comic.
    Anything other than essentially looking at a cats anus on the front page.

• Suburban_ArcanaSuburban_Arcana Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah. Put it out of its misery. Replace its spot on the Penny Arcade home page with a link where we can donate money to charity. Or put an ad there. Anything. Seeing the same months old Trenches comic up there every day bums me out.

Suburban_Arcana on
  • SkunkapeSkunkape Registered User regular
    Although I have read penny arcade since about 2000, I joined the message boards when I stared reading the trenches. Its funny this was the comic that made me sign up for a account and actually post something.

Now I had also been a fan of Scott's work and knew what usually happens to his side projects like this , so I knew what I was getting into, but it still a little sad seeing this comic being kept on life support when everybody knows it is dead.

Hell, I'd take a picture of a cat's anus in that spot just for the variety.

New "The Tranches" comic. Also new story at alex_theman's "Tales from the Trenches".

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    New "The Tranches" comic. Also new story at alex_theman's "Tales from the Trenches".

I can't help it. I laughed about the "ending up in the camps" bit because of "President Tramp."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    It's nice to see the Tranches chugging along as the latest Trenches thread almost slips away to the third page.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's nice to see the Tranches chugging along as the latest Trenches thread almost slips away to the third page.

It has in fact, hit the third page (at least on my browser).

I'm beginning to think this is now actually dead :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.