As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Money - Cabs - Drunkeness

Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, tell me what you think of this scenario in terms of who owes who what, if anything.

One night a couple months ago, me and my friend are partying in a town, and by the end of the night we are really, really drunk. We call a cab to get to where we were staying for the night. My friend hands me money to pay for the cab, and I have no clue what happened to the money. I was so drunk, its possible I just lost it. But then, because of my own stupidity of losing his money I payed for the cab (it was about $40-$50) fully.

From the way I look at it, and of course I am biased, I don't owe my friend money because the money he gave me was going straight to the cabbie anyways whom I then went to pay off fully.

In my friends view, I owe him the full amount of the money because I lost it.

My friend only brought this up last night, and I'm pretty sure hes only saying it now because in those two months he has accumulated about $120 in debt to me, and the fucker is trying to get out of some of it due to being broke.

So what do you guys think about the whole cab money issue? I need unbiased opinions here.

Al_wat on

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How much money did you lose?

If the money he gave you was approximately his share of the cab fare then I'd say you don't owe him anything.

japan on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait, what? He gave you money, you lost it, you then covered the cost, and he says you owe him the money anyway?

Was the money loaned to you in the first place? If not, fuck him.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It was about $50, it would have fully paid for the cab.

Al_wat on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think your friend is an idiot and lost his money, therefore he should suck it up.

Comahawk on
    edited November 2007
    Let me clarify. We called the cab, he handed me the money right before the cab got there, as far as we know, I let the money blow away in the wind.

Al_wat on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to go with Zeon here: Fuck him.

Aldo on
    edited November 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    I'm going to go with Zeon here: Fuck him.

This is basically how I feel. Its just a tactic to try to get out of paying me the money that he now owes me.

He's normally pretty reasonable so I know I'll be able to convince him hes just being a dickbag. I just needed some more opinions on the matter to make sure my bias wasn't clouding me.

Al_wat on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As I see it:

He gives you money to pay for the cab
    You pay for the cab

What exactly happens to the money he gave to you shouldn't be any of his concern. Seems like he's just trying to come up with an excuse to not having to pay off his debt to you.

Aldo on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is why you never do any financial business with friends or family. If either party feels even slightly that they are getting fucked it can ruin relationships.

Oh, and tell him to fuck himself.

Shogun on
  • Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It is kinda weak to bring it up two months later, but your friend gave you enough to cover the whole cab ride. Were you not going to pay for half too?

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nonononono, you guys have it wrong.

Two guys at $50 = $25 each.

Friend hands OP $50.

OP loses $50, but pays for cab.

Friend expects $25 change, doesn't get it because OP is silly and loses money.

Friend is right to expect $25, but not right to expect full amount, what happens to the cash after it leaves his hands is of no concern.

Also: this kind of petty shit only happens with geeks. I swear.

Lewisham on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I could see his argument if he was asking for half of his money back. I mean he gave you enough for the full ride which was his share plus your share. So, were you to not have lost the money then you would have been able to split the cost $25 each; which is half of the 50 he gave you. I mean, it's measly, but I think you owe him the second 25 because though you paid his way you still lost 25 of the 50 he gave you.

(I have a feeling that made no sense).

Edit: and I was beat.

Uncle Long on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

I wish. I've had non-geek people get pissed at me because I rounded their portion of a tab up by 50 fucking cents. I wanted to throw a dollar at them and tell them to get lost.

Doc on
    edited November 2007
    It is kinda weak to bring it up two months later, but your friend gave you enough to cover the whole cab ride. Were you not going to pay for half too?

No, I was not going to pay for half of it, unless like the next day when we were all sober he said "hey you want to pitch me money for half the cab ride from last night?" and I would have agreed 100%.

That sounds weasly and like I am a douchebag, but normally we aren't so picky about shit like that with each other because one time he will pay for something like that, and then another time I will pay for something like that, so usually it works itself out in the end.

Honestly, i should clear another thing up as well. This sounds like it is a huge deal and its causing a big fight between us but that isnt the case. I know this will get resolved properly because me and him are both intelligent people. He just mentioned this to me last night when we were kinda drunk; I made this thread because I wanted to have some ammo in case he is going to legitimately try to claim that I owe him the money from that cab.

Al_wat on
    edited November 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Nonononono, you guys have it wrong.

Two guys at $50 = $25 each.

Friend hands OP $50.

OP loses $50, but pays for cab.

Friend expects $25 change, doesn't get it because OP is silly and loses money.

Friend is right to expect $25, but not right to expect full amount, what happens to the cash after it leaves his hands is of no concern.

See this is somewhat reasonable. If he still adamantly tries to claim that I owe him money about it, then I will concede 50% of the cab cost, and also tell him to eat a bag of dicks. :P

edit: and also be a cheap fucker when it comes to anything regarding him and money.

Al_wat on
  • CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm starting to wonder if he even gave you money in the first place... I've seen some people pull off crazy shit on people... and completely sober too. Could be trying to just make money from nothing.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man... if a friend even starts about money I should pay back or whatever he can go and suck a cock. Sometimes one dude pays for everything, the other time the other pays for everything. And if he doesn't, well.. then he's just lucky but will be called a cheap bastard.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if he even gave you money in the first place... I've seen some people pull off crazy shit on people... and completely sober too. Could be trying to just make money from nothing.

He wouldn't try to pull that, he definitely handed me the money. There is no question of that.

Al_wat on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

He wouldn't try to pull that, he definitely handed me the money. There is no question of that.

Ok so he owes you 120 dollars right now.

50 dollars for 2 people is 25 dollars each.

120 - 25 = $95

So he owes you 95 dollars.

This is how I would work it out.

DekuStick on
  • RagixRagix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

Ok so he owes you 120 dollars right now.

50 dollars for 2 people is 25 dollars each.

120 - 25 = $95

So he owes you 95 dollars.

This is how I would work it out.

Stop. My brains.

Ragix on