As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk me out of this...

kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
So early this week I was traveling on business and met someone interesting. We had a nice time together, but I forgot to exchange numbers. I don't live in the area at all, and I don't have any way of getting in touch other than calling to leave a message at her work. That's completely inappropriate, right? If she had wanted to exchange numbers, we would have, yes?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One phone call to her place of work sounds fine to me. It's not like you attempted to exchange numbers and she brushed you off.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Does she have a private office phone? Don't want some rando fielding the call or the message

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I know she has a work cell, but I don't know that number. I could ask to be transferred if she's not available, perhaps.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    If you keep it very simple and make sure it is very clear you are just contacting because you intended to give your number, I think it is ok. Just don't repeat call if you have to leave a message and do not under any circumstance keep her there for a longer than needed. If she wants to continue things have her call you back after work hours.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Hey there, So-And-So, this is kilroydos. We met the other day. I just wanted to give you my number in case you'd like to meet up again."

That'll do it. If she's interested she'll say so and if not no biggie and move on.

• Options
    Well you've made me feel like much less of a creep. I'll call tomorrow.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Does she have a private office phone? Don't want some rando fielding the call or the message

If it's some random person, then just say, "Could you please leave a message for her to call me back? My name is [name] and my number is [number]." No need to say that you had a nice time or whatever, that should be obvious already.

• Options
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

If it's some random person, then just say, "Could you please leave a message for her to call me back? My name is [name] and my number is [number]." No need to say that you had a nice time or whatever, that should be obvious already.
    Agreed. The last thing I would want to do is make it wierd for her at work.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Please update the thread with results, whatever they may be

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm just chuckling how every single post in the " Talk me out of this" thread was talking you into it,

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm just chuckling how every single post in the " Talk me out of this" thread was talking you into it,

This is H/A, sometimes you get the advice that's asked for, sometimes you get the advice that's needed.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I will say that the one time I had somebody do this, it really weirded me out. But I didn't meet them through work, as you seem to have, rather they had learned where I worked from conversation and reached out to me at work. But it DID weird me out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So I called and left a message with my name and number. She promptly called back and we talked for a few minutes, during which we both said that we had had a nice time meeting each other and agreed to keep in touch. I haven't heard anything from her since, but I'm not really expecting to. If I am going to be back in the area, I'll let her know, and vice-versa.

She did seem a bit taken aback right at first, but was very positive and friendly during the call. I'm hoping she wasn't too put off by the call at work, but I'm not planning to push it any farther anyway.

Thanks for all the help, it went about as well as could be expected!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Good job going for it! Really, you followed through on someone you were interested in and did it respectably. Now leave it to her to call back.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    :+1: