As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best place to host screenshots and pictures so I can refer to them on forums?

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
Not all forums has a function that stores images and from time to time I find it useful to be able to use a picture or a screenshot of mine when I post on a forum. In the past I have used a webhotel I had a small website on to also hold images I refereed to, but I don't have a website anymore so I would like to find something more for the specific purpose.

Now I know there are sites specific for sharing collections of photos and such, but I'd like some place where I can link directly to an image just like I'm doing with this '?':
Question_mark_liberal.jpg
I don't mind if what I upload is made available for other to use and I don't expect to have hundreds of pictures, but being able to hold say 4K screenshots in good quality is a must.

Bones heal, glory is forever.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    imgur?

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I use dropbox.

Make sure your images meet size requirements before upload!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I've been using Photobucket for years without any problems.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I used to use photobucket as well, but there was a point a year or so ago when it started running consistently slow as hell, and I got fed up and switched to imgur.

Been using it ever since.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Thank you all. That was quick and very useful.
    I checked your suggestions out and went with imgur which sort of work only it does compress the pictures a bit.

I wasn't keen on having to install an app so that meant Dropbox was a no go and Photobucket has a rule where new users are limited to 1024x768 in their uploads.

For reference here are a couple of shots I have put up on imgur. The first is a quick snap I did with my phone(3552x2000 original):
    i.imgur.com/oh9yPa7.jpg

Some of the blur is thus from the phones handling of the image, but on top goes the compression that imgur seems to do.

Here is a screenshot as taken by the game for comparison - the blur here is only by imgur. The original is 3840x2160 :
    i.imgur.com/cQROAYx.jpg

And finally the screenshot as uploaded to PA instead of hosted on imgur or rather that was my intention, but PA has a max. size of aprox. 2 MB so that was a no go.

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    @BlindZenDriver You can't in line images over 500kb, as an infractable rule.

I think? Or is that D&D only? I guess it isn't in the main rules list.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    You can't inline images over 500kb anywhere but where it is expressly stated (certain threads and the Artist's Block).

You can get infracted and banned! You should cut those and repost smaller.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    @BlindZenDriver You can't in line images over 500kb, as an infractable rule.

I think? Or is that D&D only? I guess it isn't in the main rules list.
    Not sure if there are different rules depending on what part of the forum - or perhaps the rules are different depending on how long you been a member. But here is what I get when trying to put up a 2.5 MB image:
    mG4B5To.jpg
    (The limit is actually stated as 2 MB exactly and not approximately as I suggested earlier)

• Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah the rule is independence of actual forum limit. If you could link your images please, its not up for debate.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Yeah the rule is independence of actual forum limit. If you could link your images please, its not up for debate.

Thx for clearing it up. Also btw. the images in this thread are all linked.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

He meant don't use [ img] tags so they show as just hyperlinks. The idea is so when I open the page I don't download a couple megs of images.

A full page of big images could murder an innocent data plan.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

He meant don't use [ img] tags so they show as just hyperlinks. The idea is so when I open the page I don't download a couple megs of images.

A full page of big images could murder an innocent data plan.

Now I get it. I guess one gets sloppy when surfing without constraints.

I have updated my post so the images are now hyperlinks.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You don't need to install anything for Dropbox. Unless you're referring to your phone? But then those aren't screenshots...

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Be careful about using Facebook relink ( like posting a photo anywhere on facebook then embedding here, facebook loves to buff out image sizes.

Seconding Photobucket, had one going over a decade and it's still fine.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    tinypic. has resize options when you upload and no need to login.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Figgy wrote: »
    You don't need to install anything for Dropbox. Unless you're referring to your phone? But then those aren't screenshots...

Yeah, this. You can get the app to make it easier, but most folk just use the website FTP system to move files. I prefer it to imgur or photobucket because I have more options for how public my files are, folders, and the ability to upload and move files as well as images. You can also easily crunch your links down like a tinyurl through dropbox, which is frequently handy.

Enc on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If have a droid, another nice thing is Google+ will auto upload any pic you take with phone to your Google+ picture folders

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508