As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead HDD?

So, I have an internal HDD for storage that, in the midst of reading data last night, threw an error and then disappeared from the available drives in Windows (Windows 7 user). Upon reboot, it is still not showing in Windows.

So, I think I understand some of the basic stuff I should do to start diagnosing the problem:

1) Check the power and SATA connectors on the drive and mobo
2) See if it is still registering in the BIOS (checked quickly last night and I think it is)
3) see if I and hear the drive spinning/getting power
4) plug it into another machine and see if it gets detected

Anything else obvious I should do?

Particularly if it turns out the connections are clean, it is showing in BIOS, appears to be getting power, and / or shows on a different PC?

Thanks!

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It can be one of four things things: sata port, sata cable, power cable, or the hdd itself. But it's most likely that your drive is dead.

so It's real easy to check the port and cables just by swapping things around for ones you know are good from your other drive(s).

If all the port/cables are good then your drives probably dead.

You can try and check disk management (control panel->admin tools->computer management->disk management) and see if somehow windows just lost the drive letter assignment or partions, but this would be rare and would be a good sign that the drive isn't healthy.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Definitely make sure to test it with another PC, either via direct installation or an enclosure (which run about $25 on Amazon I think).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'd put it in an enclosure and try with a different computer, and if it doesn't work still and there's important data you need to get off of it try sticking the enclosure in the freezer to get the drive to work long enough to pull what you want off of it.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions - noted for a future inevitable HDD death. As it stands, after checking the connections, it got re-detected by Windows and passes every error checking test I've run....

Some sort of Microsoft hiccup, I suppose.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions - noted for a future inevitable HDD death. As it stands, after checking the connections, it got re-detected by Windows and passes every error checking test I've run....

I'd back up the data on that drive either way, just in case.

• Options

So, out if curiosity, does your problem sound kind of like this?

Because my solution was to unplug and plug the drive (and SSD) back in and that fixed it. The long term solution was to replace the drive entirely.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Not really. At least, not yet...

No BSOD episodes related to it, and the connections to my other drives don't seem to have played a role. But, as it may just be the start of a recurring problem, who knows...

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Sounds like just a loose connection and then time,a bump, vibrations etc knocked it out of the port.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Not really. At least, not yet...

No BSOD episodes related to it, and the connections to my other drives don't seem to have played a role. But, as it may just be the start of a recurring problem, who knows...

Hmm, nevermind then. I was getting spontaneous disconnections at time, hopefully you won't get the same.