As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    More like Legends of Tomborrow

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I hope Savage doesn't stay the threat for the whole run. Honestly, the best thing they could do is beat him this season, then find out that the Time LordsMasters were right, and the future is now under the dictatorial rule of CyborgTrumpsomeone worse. Then they can work on fixing that.
    I mean, obviously if they win and create a future that doesn't suck it's going to be tricky to justify them not immediately disbanding so they don't screw things up again, so the future is going to have to be horrible no matter what they do.

I would like it if they went forward to a time when Savage has screwed things up so badly he's realised that he needs to change things, so he could work with them to try and put things right.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    This show is so dumb

But I love half the characters so it's hard to care

But the Firestorm drama is so dumb

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I hope Savage doesn't stay the threat for the whole run. Honestly, the best thing they could do is beat him this season, then find out that the Time LordsMasters were right, and the future is now under the dictatorial rule of CyborgTrumpsomeone worse. Then they can work on fixing that.
    I mean, obviously if they win and create a future that doesn't suck it's going to be tricky to justify them not immediately disbanding so they don't screw things up again, so the future is going to have to be horrible no matter what they do.

I would like it if they went forward to a time when Savage has screwed things up so badly he's realised that he needs to change things, so he could work with them to try and put things right.

I mean its pretty clear the Time masters are in Savage's pocket.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

How is that clear? They've been saying 'don't dick around with history, you'll screw things up', and in two time jumps the team have already informed Savage about the existence of time travel, screwed up the 'present' once by dropping bit of future tech (they screwed it back down afterwards, but still), and let him make a start on creating an army of Firestorms.
    So far, it seems like they were right on the money.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think it was a joke

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I've been kinda wondering if they are just because we know that Savage has at least one cult devoted to working for him and now that he knows about time travelers they're bound to try and get in on the ground floor of any such group.

Their insistence on keeping the timeline where he wins everything is not helping.

• Options
    I wonder if they'll ever bring up Hitler.
    "Yeah, I tried to assassinate Hitler a few times, but it always ended up sparking nuclear war between the US and Russia in the mid-60s, so I had to go back and save him from myself each time."

He's such a popular subject for these kinds of time travel arguments, I'd be surprised if he never gets mentioned.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Despite the logical and plot issues, I think I'm actually enjoying the show more each week. And I'm really digging how they're experimenting with different character pairings -- Ray/Stein, Ray/Cold, Kendra/Sara, Sara/Rip, Rip/Heatwave. I imagine if the show sticks around they'll settle into some more prominent relationships, but it's nice to see a lot of dynamics explored.

• Options
    edited February 2016

How is that clear? They've been saying 'don't dick around with history, you'll screw things up', and in two time jumps the team have already informed Savage about the existence of time travel, screwed up the 'present' once by dropping bit of future tech (they screwed it back down afterwards, but still), and let him make a start on creating an army of Firestorms.

Savage knows Rip is a time traveler it's not far fetched to think he would build a society of Time masters that will protect a future where he rules and where he can keep tabs on a guy that literally stalks him through history.
    So far all they've done is make a young Marty Stein curious about Time Travel, Make Vandal savage aware he will succeed, and ensure Leonard Snart becomes Captain cold.

They're making their future happen ( the bad one) and don't realize it . I wouldn't be shocked if they meet a young General Eiling in this time period and he becomes obsessed with metas ( and firestorm).

King Riptor on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Savage knows Rip is a time traveler it's not far fetched to think he would build a society of Time masters that will protect a future where he rules and where he can keep tabs on a guy that literally stalks him through history.
    So far all they've done is make a young Marty Stein curious about Time Travel, Make Vandal savage aware he will succeed, and ensure Leonard Snart becomes Captain cold.

They're making their future happen ( the bad one) and don't realize it . I wouldn't be shocked if they meet a young General Eiling in this time period and he becomes obsessed with metas ( and firestorm).

As logical a conclusion as anything the show would lead you too.
    I mean, they can't actually stop Savage, because paradox, so they may as well go hard the other way and wind up having Rip be the influence on Savage that turns him into a world conquering dickbag. Has a nice oroboros feel to it. Savage kills Rip's family because Rip's been hunting him throughout time because Savage kills Rip's family.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    "Yeah, I tried to assassinate Hitler a few times, but it always ended up sparking nuclear war between the US and Russia in the mid-60s, so I had to go back and save him from myself each time."

He's such a popular subject for these kinds of time travel arguments, I'd be surprised if he never gets mentioned.

http://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

As logical a conclusion as anything the show would lead you too.
    I mean, they can't actually stop Savage, because paradox, so they may as well go hard the other way and wind up having Rip be the influence on Savage that turns him into a world conquering dickbag. Has a nice oroboros feel to it. Savage kills Rip's family because Rip's been hunting him throughout time because Savage kills Rip's family.

This is the outcome I'm expecting actually. Rip ultimately created the timeline by his attempt to fix it. No matter what he does, he can't actually undo the consequences to his actions.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    This is the fourth or fifth time they've inadvertently helped Savage. It would be funny if they end up screwing up completely and Savage manages to beat them all, steal the Wave Rider and all their tech, and rewrites the timeline to become ruler of the world throughout all of history. Then season 2 is about people trying to fix all the problems causes this season, stop Time Lord Savage from conquering the galaxy, and restore the timeline back to what it was supposed to be.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The plot is ridiculous but the moment-to-moment is fantastic.

Bone me, Gideon.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Okay that was amazing. Is it part of a larger work? Because I'd read the shit out that in a longer form.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Okay that was amazing. Is it part of a larger work? Because I'd read the shit out that in a longer form.
    I don't know. It's just the funny short story that I think of whenever someone mentions killing Hitler. As far as I know, it's just a short story.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So Heat Wave's plan for a diversion is that both of the people watching the security cams in the room next door would be more interested in watching a friendly arm wrestling match than actually doing their jobs.

And the team has to physically steal a file to find out what it says? You're from the future. Give her a mini camera and take pictures.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    So Heat Wave's plan for a diversion is that both of the people watching the security cams in the room next door would be more interested in watching a friendly arm wrestling match than actually doing their jobs.

And the team has to physically steal a file to find out what it says? You're from the future. Give her a mini camera and take pictures.

Having worked with my share of low-ranking military, his plan was a good one. Alternatives that I've seen be more interesting than their real job are games of Risk and putting a movie on.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I still don't know how I feel about this show. The plot is just gah, they're fuck-ups, but the character interactions are on the whole pretty great. I feel like I love Captain Cold more with every episode.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Roy needs to stop thinking with his penis.

This was also a major problem on Arrow.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

Having worked with my share of low-ranking military, his plan was a good one. Alternatives that I've seen be more interesting than their real job are games of Risk and putting a movie on.

Too bad they didn't arrive in 1987, they could have shown them this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5iDUnx0iY

"You know, it was an excellent movie, now that I think about it. After all, you know, it does combine the emotional drama of a custody child hearing with, uh.. ARM WRESTLING!!"

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that the show's two rage-blind monsters are both female? It feels kinda weird.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sorce wrote: »
    Is it weird that the show's two rage-blind monsters are both female? It feels kinda weird.

"Monsters" is going a little far. They both have PLTD (Post-Life Trauma Disorder). What's a girl gonna do?

Anyway, I realized same as some of you that Rip is actually a supervillain now, complete with a team of super-henchmen. I'm totally on the Council's side: Vandal Savage taking over the world in the future is the future's problem; you can't fix it in the past.

It occurs to me that, if the Gallifrayans shared Rip's disregard for the timeline, they could solve this problem by stopping themselves from approving Rip's application to be a Time Master.

Also: the Barry Allen Flash is still an active, important figure hundreds of years in the future. Is this show suggesting that Vandal Savage takes over the world in 150 years and Flash just lets it happen?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Self-diagnosed monsters, I should clarify. But both do have some sort of "switch flip" where it's not easy to come down from.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Self-diagnosed monsters, I should clarify. But both do have some sort of "switch flip" where it's not easy to come down from.

They should consult a monsterologist to be sure.

• Options
    Roy needs to stop thinking with his penis.

This was also a major problem on Arrow.

Yeah like you'd think the corpse room would have clued him in that maybe she's not the Humanitarian of the year

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I'm three episodes in and I absolutely hate the writers for what they have done to Hawkgirl.
    They were SO close. She had rejected being predestined as Carter's lover. It showed strength in the face of what was a really very creepy romance subplot. Then Carter dies and she suddenly loves him and all that independence vanishes.

WHY?

I'm not saying she needs to be glad he's dead. She can mourn someone with whom she shares a weird and complicated past. But the abrupt 180 degree turn is too much. They didn't put in the work. They could have spent half a season or more showing Carter winning her over in THIS life, and not relying on their shared history.

Ugh, terrible.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She was a bit emotional at the time and stabbed, 1 outburst doesn't really negate the rest.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

"Monsters" is going a little far. They both have PLTD (Post-Life Trauma Disorder). What's a girl gonna do?

I like this, since this dynamic isn't common with female characters.
    Anyway, I realized same as some of you that Rip is actually a supervillain now, complete with a team of super-henchmen. I'm totally on the Council's side: Vandal Savage taking over the world in the future is the future's problem; you can't fix it in the past.

It occurs to me that, if the Gallifrayans shared Rip's disregard for the timeline, they could solve this problem by stopping themselves from approving Rip's application to be a Time Master.

The Time Lords would have ok'd Rip's operation, and send him straight to kill Savage before he was immortal with no hesitation. They did this with the Doctor as a pre-emptive strike with the Daleks in "Genesis of the Daleks." You do not fuck with the Time Lords.
    Also: the Barry Allen Flash is still an active, important figure hundreds of years in the future. Is this show suggesting that Vandal Savage takes over the world in 150 years and Flash just lets it happen?

Flash is probably dead by then. If Savage is capable of taking over the world - he can't do that without offing the super-heroes who'd be the first line of defense. It's not like he hasn't done this before. The time line just didn't stick.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Flash also time jumps a lot. In the comics just before the Crisis he spends a lot of time in the future, then comes backs for the whole anti-monitor thing.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I'm three episodes in and I absolutely hate the writers for what they have done to Hawkgirl.
    They were SO close. She had rejected being predestined as Carter's lover. It showed strength in the face of what was a really very creepy romance subplot. Then Carter dies and she suddenly loves him and all that independence vanishes.

WHY?

I'm not saying she needs to be glad he's dead. She can mourn someone with whom she shares a weird and complicated past. But the abrupt 180 degree turn is too much. They didn't put in the work. They could have spent half a season or more showing Carter winning her over in THIS life, and not relying on their shared history.

Ugh, terrible.

Listen I don't think this was mentioned in the show yet but she was a Barrista until X period of time ago! This is so overwhelming for her!

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

WHY?

Ugh, terrible.

Listen I don't think this was mentioned in the show yet but she was a Barrista until X period of time ago! This is so overwhelming for her!
    I kind of really want that to be a running joke in the show.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Agreed. She needs to remind us of her past life as a Barrista at least once an episode. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Agreed. She needs to remind us of her past life as a Barrista at least once an episode. :P

She'll mysteriously forget this when the coffee needs made in the morning.

"Oh come on Kendra you had one job!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would love when she confronts Vandal Savage, he retorts with:

"Kendra, you were just a Barrista! What hope do you have of actually fighting me?" :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I would love when she confronts Vandal Savage, he retorts with:

"Kendra, you were just a Barrista! What hope do you have of actually fighting me?" :P

They crash into a coffee shop and she scalds his face with the steamer.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Everyone just needs to listen to Cold and everything turns out fine.

"Two in the head and we go home."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    This just occured to me Hey LoT writers -you know your guy with the Cold gun? The one that can freeze things to absolute Zero? Shoot the fucking core with it. Bam destroyed problem solved.

I'm really sick of them treating it like a laser or that Cold would fire like that when his entire character is the complete opposite of the firing blindly type.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    New Episode:
    "This is not my first prison break"

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png