As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]"Who's knocking on my door like the police?"

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

omg hahaha

steam_sig.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    lmao
    When Jackson first got a call from Legacy matchmaker Collin Cantrell recently, he was really confused. Cantrell was talking about Gall and Legacy and a fight in early February. Jackson wasn't really sure where he fit in.

"In my head I'm thinking, 'Y'all gonna fly me to Minnesota to come take pictures of Mickey Gall?'" Jackson said.

No, Cantrell explained to Jackson. We want you to fight Gall, the matchmaker told him.

"I was like, 'Fight who?'" Jackson said. "He's like, 'If you fight Mickey Gall, you get CM Punk.' That's how they're hyping this up to me. I was like, 'This makes no sense. What are you talking about?'"
    "To me, this is a big troll," Jackson said. "This is a massive troll by everyone involved here."

"You have CM Punk, who has no MMA experience, fighting. You got this kid Mickey Gall, who literally wins one fight -- he's fighting in some small town in Jersey that Dana White happened to be at and was like, 'I want to fight CM Punk.' And he gets signed by the UFC. And then you got me. All my experience is in boxing and kickboxing. Now I'm in the UFC. It's like, 'What the fuck is going on here?'"
    "Literally a week after I got back in the gym, they were like, 'Hey, do you want to fight in the UFC?'" Jackson said. "I was like, 'What the fuck?'"

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/ufc-alex-nicholson-proposes-during-weigh-in

Awwww that's cute.

https://youtu.be/nP4UXV-oLc8

OH. Hey. That coulda gone better. Ow.

Also, MAN is Eddie ever high in that fight companion.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Sweet baby jebus I'm back in the gym today.

Between that and playing XCom 2 when I get home I am about as hype as I'll ever be on a Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jimX9uSxnk

Can't wait for people to blow this out of proportion.

Because they for sure will.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Proportionality aside, how dumb can Jones be? Is it really that hard to stay squeaky clean?

I once accidentally let my car's insurance/MOT slide out of date. You know what I did when I needed to get somewhere? Took a fucking taxi. Dude could straight up hire a motorcade to travel around in if he wanted to.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Athletes think they can drive themselves, and look down on people who use taxis and stuff

And then they get pulled over, arrested, drunk driving, etc and wonder why their career's fucked and everybody thinks they're stupid

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I don't think athletes have any kind of monopoly on that kind of behavior.

steam_sig.png
    Got a seminar with Garry Tonon this weekend! Also caught a black belt with a vaporizer so very happy with that. Exhausted and beat to absolute shit but should be a good week.

Ben Rothwell vs JDS got announced, basically everyone in the heavyweight division was out with injury to they had Rothwell take it on somewhat short notice.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

Campy wrote: »
    Sweet baby jebus I'm back in the gym today.

Between that and playing XCom 2 when I get home I am about as hype as I'll ever be on a Monday.

Awesome man welcome back.

https://youtu.be/cPyyp7uVmiA

edited February 2016
    Kevin Randleman has apparently passed away at 44.

ChillyWilly on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kevin Randleman has apparently passed away at 44.

I just saw that, I recall Randleman when I was a young man, that's so tragic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Man, that's awful.

I really hope MMA doesn't start running into the same problems as wrestling with its string of young deaths.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Man, that's awful.

I really hope MMA doesn't start running into the same problems as wrestling with its string of young deaths.

Well Randleman died of Pneumonia? I don't think that's related to steroid abuse? I mean he had heart failure on top, but Pneumonia ain't no joke that shit can level you healthy or not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    With proper care it generally does not kill you without something else being wrong, like a weakened heart.

Preacher wrote: »
    Man, that's awful.

Well Randleman died of Pneumonia? I don't think that's related to steroid abuse? I mean he had heart failure on top, but Pneumonia ain't no joke that shit can level you healthy or not.

Yeah, just 'dead at 44' brought flashbacks to a giant list of pro wrestler deaths, and I know the 90s and the Pride days weren't exactly the easiest on these guys.

Forget it...
    Have to wonder how much steroids contributed but also that staph infection he had that nearly killed him before may have been a factor.

Have to wonder how much steroids contributed but also that staph infection he had that nearly killed him before may have been a factor.

Yeah I read he had that nasty staph that drilled a hole in his abdomen, then the flu, then pneumonia and then a heart attack while in hospital. Shit sucks man... Fuck 2016

Yeah it was all a long time ago but the severity of it makes me wonder if he had long term health complications. Garry Tonon seminar this weekend! Wooooo! Also EBI being on UFC fight pass is pretty awesome for those guys, it's a pretty cool show the way they have it set up.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    that's a real bummer about Kevin Randlemen.

But man does it remind me in terrified of staph.

steam_sig.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yeah it was all a long time ago but the severity of it makes me wonder if he had long term health complications. Garry Tonon seminar this weekend! Wooooo! Also EBI being on UFC fight pass is pretty awesome for those guys, it's a pretty cool show the way they have it set up.

ask him if he's gonna fight paul harris as he is or is he gonna try to pack on some weight

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited February 2016
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

ask him if he's gonna fight paul harris as he is or is he gonna try to pack on some weight

Sure thing. Also this next EBI is an absolute division and there's some huge dudes. Cyborg Abreu is a big guy especially compared to say Eddie Cummings.

Chessboxing909 on

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Wonderboy Thompson vs Hendricks made me so happy.

Fuck off and die.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i've never stopped loving rousimar, not for a second

I just wanted to quote this again to make sure no one missed it. I know a few of you really love grappling. Looks like Fight Pass is a little more attractive now.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    During an interview with MMA Fighting, CM Punk’s future UFC opponent Mickey Gall said that Punk could still fight at UFC 200. Gall told the site that according to Dana White, Punk’s recovery time from surgery for a herniated disc is expected to be about four weeks.

Gall noted that the recovery time means that he and Punk could fight at UFC 200. Punk underwent surgery for the disc on Wednesday.

Well UFC had Brock give them huge numbers for 100, can Punk do the same here?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I really doubt it. Brock was very easy to buy as a legit MMA threat in spite of his lack of experience, the same isn't really true for Punk.

815165 on
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Seminar was awesome. He's going at him as is. He's just an average sized dude, expected him to be bigger. His technical stuff is very very detailed, very informal seminar and he taught for something like 3 and a half or 4 hours. The stuff he's working with heel hooks is just gross, it's way too easy to tear someone's ACL. Definitely gonna tap a little earlier then before seeing how nasty his are and knowing that's out there.

Lots of talk about Palhares, what he does well that Garry took from watching him, a steroid shout out and plenty of mentions about how he was gonna get his leg broken if he tapped or not, either way. There's a particular knee bar Garry seems to think is a real threat. Finally, one of the kids drew Garry a good luck card and drew a picture of Garry beating Palhares in crayon and it was goddamnn adorable.

Definitely one of the better seminars I've been to, get a chance to go to one of his definitely do it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've never stopped loving rousimar, not for a second

You're a monster.

Being the only southpaw in my class is an awkward experience. And since we're all beginners it tends to really throw off the pad holders.

On the other hand, what better excuse to study Coban, Saenchai, and Yodsanklai? Goddamn I love watching Muay Thai fights.

Forget it...
    Being the only southpaw in my class is an awkward experience. And since we're all beginners it tends to really throw off the pad holders.

On the other hand, what better excuse to study Coban, Saenchai, and Yodsanklai? Goddamn I love watching Muay Thai fights.

One of my main sparring partners over the year is a real lanky southpaw who has had a few fights, having southpaws around is great, you have to get a feel for it, it's a different game. When he started he was landing left head kicks constantly ((and eating overhand rights)) and we all adjusted so now when southpaws come in we hold up much much better. Holding for southpaws is a pain in the ass though still throws me a bit.

Tonon put something up today about the weight difference against Palhares, Garry walks around at about 170, Palhares has to weigh in the day before at 182 and they're expecting him to be 215 day of the match

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    geez
    that's some confidence in your abilities
    giving up just over 30 lbs to your opponent and knowing that if you get caught, you will likely sustain severe injuries like a fracture or joint dislocation

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    qvnq4aculs4b.jpg

30 extra pounds of knee popping bridge troll.

I'm scared and I'm not even in the same continent as the bout...

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    qvnq4aculs4b.jpg

HA

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!