As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Studios v. Wallets: Age of [Comics in the Movies, on TV, and Other Places]

12345679»

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently there's reason to believe that Thor wasn't necassairly a redhead in the first myths.
    http://www.norsemyth.org/2011/09/blond-thor-stan-lee-wasnt-wrong.html

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I've always wondered why Kirby went with blonde hair instead of red like in the old myths.

probably the difficulties contrasting it with Thor's red cape. They where not called 4 color comics for nothing back then.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I would propose that it is more likely the "Protagonists should use primary colors, antagonists should use secondary colors." design standard of the time.

With yellow hair, red cape, and a blue vest, Thor's color scheme is the primary triadic of the color wheel.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm betting the thought process was more like,
    • Thor is Scandinavian
    • Scandinavian people are known for being blonde

Boom, done.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'm betting the thought process was more like,
    • Thor is Scandinavian
    • Scandinavian people are known for being blonde

Boom, done.

It's a bit weird though that three of the primary characters had their hair colour changed:
    - Thor (red in mythology, though that is debated, blond in comics)
    - Loki ( red in mythology, black in comics)
    - Sif (blond/golden-haired in mythology (and that's actually a plotpoint), black in comics)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Crosspost from SE:

Netflix certainly knows how to handle its international marketing with its recent expansion.

Here's another Lunar New Year promo, this time a mailer for the Korean market:

KakaoTalk_20160208_002650200.jpg?type=w2
    KakaoTalk_20160208_002650352.jpg?type=w2
    KakaoTalk_20160208_003536363.jpg?type=w2

The art is done in a traditional Korean style and Daredevil's playing Yutnori, a Parcheesi (Ludo)-type game played for the holiday.

Source

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    tehjester wrote: »

This is not going to end well, is it?

• Options

Well I don't think anyone was really asking for another Spawn, well... anything. It does sound like it's just trying to ride the coattails of the recent R-rated movies that are making money, like Deadpool. We can only hope for the best. We can only hope for the best.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sounds more like MacFarlane's trying to make it a horror movie rather than a superhero movie, though he's likely hoping the popularity of superhero movies will be a factor it getting it to happen.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/14/exclusive-next-spawn-movie-will-not-be-superhero-or-action-film-/

So like he's Slenderman, but only targets bad guys.

I don't *hate* Spawn, really. I haven't been interested in him for a long time, and every time something happens with him its usually boring, uninspired, ignores/retcons/fucks up whatever stuff was any good that happened before, or is just the same origin story told over again, because that's the only Spawn story MacFarlane knows how to tell.

But yeah, I can't say there's any part of me that actively wants this to not happen or anything. I have a soft spot for Spawn when Greg Capulo was drawing him, so I wish him well, in that I don't wish him any specific harm.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Talk of a new Spawn movie has been a lot like talk of a new Mortal Kombat movie, or, until very recently, talk of a Blade movie.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Spawn could work in today's market. He's a dumb character, but he's the kind of dumb that can be fun for an hour-and-a-half on a Sunday afternoon.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Spawn could work in today's market. He's a dumb character, but he's the kind of dumb that can be fun for an hour-and-a-half on a Sunday afternoon.

Deadpool just made like, a bazillion dollars, which proves that lame '90s characters hobbled together out of better pre-existing characters can be rehabilitated and hammered into something decent. "Venom + Ghost Rider" isn't an inherently bad idea ...

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Deadpool just made like, a bazillion dollars, which proves that lame '90s characters hobbled together out of better pre-existing characters can be rehabilitated and hammered into something decent. "Venom + Ghost Rider" isn't an inherently bad idea ...

The trouble with Spawn has always been McFarlane and his uber-90s aesthetic. The idea of a government assassin who is, literally, burned by his agency then comes back from the dead thanks to infernal powers has a lot of potential. Think about what Spawn would be like if, say, you used the Bourne/Bond films as templates instead of Batman.

• Options

Well I don't think anyone was really asking for another Spawn, well... anything. It does sound like it's just trying to ride the coattails of the recent R-rated movies that are making money, like Deadpool. We can only hope for the best. We can only hope for the best.

I'd watch a Spawn reboot with a solid director and cast behind it. The guys who did Spirit of Vengeance would be perfect, or Guillermo del Toro.

• Options
    SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    We're not talking about this here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us

How does everyone feel about
    Spidey's new movie costume?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It's basically
    the Ditko costume, minus the underarm webs.

I am unreasonably fond of it.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It's basically
    the Ditko costume, minus the underarm webs.

I am unreasonably fond of it.

Except
    dumb extra racing stripe things.

Watched this with some co-workers, we were all very happy to see that
    Spidey's eyes have been CG'd so he can make the right facial expressions, just like with Deadpool. Good decision. Hoping we get a leeetle bit of that with Iron Man's mask - not so you'd notice while looking right at him, but maybe the eye slits change from one scene to the next so he looks more shocked or angry depending on what's happening.

It worked for the comics.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Except
    dumb extra racing stripe things.
    …that perform the purpose of repeating the thick black visual element from the eyes, belt, and front spider throughout the rest of the costume. It even has the same rubbery level of reflectiveness and is a different design element from the thin black webbing (which is continued subtley through the blue portions. From a design perspective, I totally see why they're there and agree with the decision.

Golden Yak wrote: »
    Spidey's eyes have been CG'd so he can make the right facial expressions, just like with Deadpool.
    …his eyes function like camera shutters (which can be seen in detail in the high res image), so it's a bit different. In the trailer, you can actually hear the shutters open and close immediately after he says, "Hey, everyone." The sound is similar to his webbing thwip, and a bit creepy; I'm assuming intentionally so because, spiders. It's a very rad solution to the problem.

• Options
    Saw Batman v Superman.

They pulled it off.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Batman Vs Superman is a 7.5. You can absolutely pick out the jilted scenes, and some groan worthy dialogue. That being said, I still had fun.

I was hoping they'd find a way to keep Superman heroic with how many great action scenes they gave to Benman (who was great as brutal Batman). And, final fight spoiler.
    I liked the King Arthur/Death of Superman motif they went with for the Doomsday fight. He uses a Kryptonite spear, which is clearly killing him. And goes to finish Doomsday after he's been held down by Batman and Wonder Woman. He gets stabbed by Doomsday, and pulls himself further onto his spikes to drive the lance through Doomsday's heart.

I almost wish that had been done in the comics now, it was visually perfect.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    As someone who hated Man of Steel (I believe I said it broke my heart), I thought BvS was a simple "good." Individual scenes and fights are so good they make up for a lot of nonsensical stuff in terms of plot and editing.

That's largely based off the Batman/WW stuff, not so much the Superman stuff. Though the small Lois and Clark screentime worked well.

I honestly don't know how they're expecting me to care for any of the other Justice Leaguers outside of a Batman movie though (which I'd love to see an Affleck solo movie). What they showed seemed rather laughable. I'm not against a WW movie but it's gotta do something decent with a WWI premise to make me interested. Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg all looked ridiculous.

But that ending was very well done from a cinematic standpoint.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    BvS was a utter and complete pile of putrid trash.

While it had plenty of visual flash, the underlying story was hackneyed, asinine, and nonsensical even by Michael Bay standards. The story failed to establish anything prior to the characters carrying out actions. Characters lurched from plot point to plot point without reason or regard to thought and sense. The fights were unconvincing, languid affairs in which little to nothing of consequence was at stake.

There is so much wrong with the movie that I hope the rumors are true and that Snyder had almost no say in the final cut. Otherwise, I'm going to start counting him out in terms of directors who can tell a story.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how they're expecting me to care for any of the other Justice Leaguers outside of a Batman movie though (which I'd love to see an Affleck solo movie). What they showed seemed rather laughable. I'm not against a WW movie but it's gotta do something decent with a WWI premise to make me interested. Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg all looked ridiculous.

I think this was very much a movie for people who are already fans of all those characters. Although I don't even care about Aquaman and I still thought his appearance was pretty cool.
    Nods like the appearance of the Motherbox during the Cyborg cameo, Luthor's evocation of the Motherbox 'ping ping ping' sound towards the end, the Parademons in the nightmare sequence - all this will mean something to the big fans of the New Gods stuff, but maybe not as much to people who don't already know about all that.

I'm really surprised it's getting as much hate as it is. Not every character was my favorite version of that character, but the versions they used worked well within the story, I thought. It was really fun, enough so that I guess I'm not bothered by stuff like the janky pacing everyone says was in it.
    I was hoping they'd find a way to keep Superman heroic with how many great action scenes they gave to Benman (who was great as brutal Batman). And, final fight spoiler.
    I liked the King Arthur/Death of Superman motif they went with for the Doomsday fight. He uses a Kryptonite spear, which is clearly killing him. And goes to finish Doomsday after he's been held down by Batman and Wonder Woman. He gets stabbed by Doomsday, and pulls himself further onto his spikes to drive the lance through Doomsday's heart.

That scene almost had me on my feet.

The bit where
    Wonder Woman lassos Doomsday was the closest I've ever come to cheering during a movie.

It's a shame so many people aren't enjoying as much - I think it might be my new favorite comic book movie.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You'd be better off writing off the writers then...

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You'd be better off writing off the writers then...

Goyer, sure. I trust the new guy, get him away from Snyder and he'll be ok.

• Options
    DistractionDistraction Registered User regular
    It seems Captain Marvel Filmmakers and Cast are going announced this summer.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/captain-marvel-filmmakers-cast-members-to-be-announced-this-summer

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Come on Yvonne! Won't happen, but I'll probably hold it against Marvel anyway.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    katee-sackhoff-263x350.jpg
    Look, Yvonne is nice and all but she hasn't worked with any of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Katee has worked with Groot AND Drax! Looks great in a flight suit. Probably enjoys punching things. And rides a sweet fucking motorcycle.

I'm getting pissed at Marvel right now cause how it won't happen.

Fuck you Marvel!

• Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really want it to be Ms. Yvonne to play Captain Marvel. She's a very capable actress, a great fit for the MCU, and any reason to look at her is a great reason!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Still say Strahovski should be Moonstone, because Moonstone is awesome while Captain Marvel is just so fetch.

edit: she did the voice of Batwoman in the new Batman animated movie, she would actually be really good as a live action Batwoman in possibly a Batfleck movie.

I was wondering if maybe Brie Larson would be interested in playing Captain Marvel, that would be a huge get for Marvel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Katee or bust. In my dreams, Infinity War Pt 1's ending is just the "fight them until we can't" scene from BSG with Captain America as Tyrol.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I still say Gwendoline Christie would be a great Captain Marvel, but won't happen mostly because she's already in sooo many things would probably be a scheduling nightmare
    kYepQHB.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yay! First teaser for Doctor Strange movie is out! Oh, I'm super excited for this now! Only problem for me is that I'm going to be in Japan when the movie comes out.

tehjester on