As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lurve

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Lurve

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    Gabe wishes he could quit Tycho.

• Options
    kansas360kansas360 Registered User new member
    Suggested alt title "The difference between partner and pardern is the silent D"

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This feels like the "Tycho wins" version of Speculative Diction.

• Options
    J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The wordplay reminds me of one of my favorites, Phad Thai.

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    oh good more "it's awful to be gay" jokes. those never get old

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Good thing it's not about that then isn't it?

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Good thing it's not about that then isn't it?

I could see how it could be construed that way if you read between the lines. It's like that episode of Seinfeld where George feels "it" move when he gets a massage from a guy and then spends the episode worrying if he's gay or not and it's HILARIOUS. But, nowadays, it has all these other connotations where it's like "Why is somebody possibly being gay funny? Why is someone being worried about becoming gay funny?"

That being said, I just accept them for a product of their times, and I also accept that there's no malice intended in Seinfeld or this comic. It's just making fun of an awkward situation, and in the comic's sake, miscommunication.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This comic is simply about verbal jousting and Tycho getting the better of Gabe without Gabe even realizing it. Tycho gets +1 point because of Gabe's ignorance. The fact that Brokeback Mountain is a movie about gay cowboys is completely inconsequential to this comic. This comic is about Gabe being ignorant.

• Options
    ElijahBaileyElijahBailey Wordsmith. VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think it's a joke about Tycho's ambiguious nature in that department and him teasing Gabe about how uncomfortable he is with the prospect of being seen as gay when he isn't. As an old-hand homo posterior, I do this to my friends all the time.

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one in the same thing."
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think it's a joke about Tycho's ambiguious nature in that department and him teasing Gabe about how uncomfortable he is with the prospect of being seen as gay when he isn't. As an old-hand homo posterior, I do this to my friends all the time.

Except Gabe is the one with the well established bi tendencies.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    they're just gal pals

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Wait, are you saying Mu's work isn't canon?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    tycho is the one to wants to fuck birds

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Also dogs. Can't forget about dogs.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Whippets are in extreme danger.

• Options
    GrassHopperGrassHopper Registered User regular
    Did anyone else pop over to google, slowly type in 'Crimson doub...' and feel relived when auto complete kicked in?

[/not a Destiny player]

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Nice to see a Free Realms reference. I actually really liked that game, my son and I would play the same character together. He would do the combat stuff, and I really enjoyed the gathering/crafting puzzles. Wish it was still around.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Did anyone else pop over to google, slowly type in 'Crimson doub...' and feel relived when auto complete kicked in?

[/not a Destiny player]

oh it's a Destiny thing?

Okay.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Do you not think that's a massive over-reaction? I don't see anything here that implies being gay is bad. Only that Gabe is completely oblivious to a very famous gay movie, which Tycho is using to tease him. I'm trying to bring up another strip that sounded insulting to gay people, but the only thing I can scrape up is that dick joke strip. But that would've been equally funny executed by a woman, because I think the humor was more that it sounded like something dirty. I'm not even sure how some people can tolerate being on a site with so much naughty humor, if so easily offended. I mean, isn't someone on tumblr missing you, anyway? Sheesh.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    I think you overreacted to his overreaction

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular

Pretty sure the point of the joke is Gabe's ignorance and insecurity.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    This isn't canon at all! Jerry once said he would fuck any guy *except* Mike!

Gee, way to break the continuity, guys!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

And giraffes.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

And giraffes.

Of course, anything with a long neck is always tantalizing. Now that dogs are once again fair game, I'm really glad I'm not a Whippet or Italian Greyhound.

• Options
    MacMcCrackMacMcCrack Duchess of Manboob Wherever mediocrity is celebratedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Such a raucous hullabaloo will most assuredly result from this ribald and salacious tomfoolery! The bourgeoisie won't stand for it I say!

MacMcCrack on
    comicrocket%20banner.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Shout out to my partner @Dyvim Tvar

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think you overreacted to his overreaction
    Psh, nah. I'm just wordy. If I had been actually over-reacting, I would have dug up the post one of them wrote about how they would love their kids even if they were gay, but weren't sure how they'd know how to react to them identifying as (something outlandish I forget), because we've gotten so weird about identity. You know, to back up that there is no malice toward gay people. I guess the tumblr comment was a bit much, but they were acting.. tumblry.

• Options
    TigrerojoTigrerojo Registered User regular

Controversy always attracts more attention than quality; that's the motto of American media, and Penny Arcade isn't free from it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I seriously miss WAR, especially since I now have a machine that could've actually handled playing it. Goddamn that was some fun PvP (at least until you hit the level cap and had to worry about tiers of gear).

So many good moments of beating a stealthy jerkbag and stealing capture points on High Pass Cemetary right out from under someone's nose.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    given that magic pink is gay i'm gonna be pretty understanding of having less patience for any joke that might need to lean on that sexuality

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Saying goes that you don't get to decide if you've hurt someone.

If a person says "oh good, more awful to be gay jokes", the best response isn't to say "no it isn't."

Nor is it to say "go back to tumblr!"

They've already been offended. They already perceive the joke that way. You don't get to decide they're not offended, and just flat out telling them they're wrong for being offended gets you basically nowhere.

You could, instead, try to engage someone if they're upset about something like that. Rather than flat out telling @Magic Pink he's wrong, any one of you (including Tube) could have asked him why he sees the joke that way. That he does is a matter of fact. You can't "correct" him about it if you don't even stop to ask why he feels that why. There's no dialogue there, just people telling each other they're wrong, most notably people who are not offended telling the offended parties that they shouldn't be.

Ask yourself, has that sort of counter argument ever worked? Someone says "that offends me" and someone else says... "Well it shouldn't because you're wrong."

Something to consider the next time you try to tell someone who has had to listen to bullshit homophobic humor their whole life that it's "just a joke"

• Options
    I don't think anyone requires you to act as the self-appointed morality police Pony, but thank you for the thought.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I'm gay, too. Not a monolithic voice. I never denied that he was offended. I even see where his offense comes from. I don't think it was intended as offensive and it's something I'd do myself. I strongly disagree the joke was it's awful to be gay. It was a combination of poking fun at both Gabe's ignorance and sexual insecurity (Spider-Man dreams).
    Straight people, especially straight men are often uncomfortable with the idea of being gay. It doesn't mean they hate gay people or anything, it's just how they grew up. Occasionally comics will poke fun at this. Some of the time, like in this case, it will even be amusing.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Tigrerojo wrote: »

Controversy always attracts more attention than quality; that's the motto of American media, and Penny Arcade isn't free from it.

One guy being upset isn't much of a "controversy" so I guess they need to try harder.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

And giraffes.

Of course, anything with a long neck is always tantalizing. Now that dogs are once again fair game, I'm really glad I'm not a Whippet or Italian Greyhound.

Or a borzoi. They're basically the horse of dogs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

And giraffes.

Or a borzoi. They're basically the horse of dogs.

I have a coworker who breeds Borzois, they sound pretty badass. They originate in Russia, where they were bred to kill wolves. You'd have a few of them that just lived on your property and killed any wolves (and probably whatever/whomever else) foolish enough to come calling. Very similar to Afghan Hounds they have very low Breed Intelligence ratings. Except they are actually quite intelligent, but they just don't generally care about pleasing people so they are hard to train. They have long necks and jaws to give longer reach in combat. So they can land the first bite.