As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The good word I'm hearing about this expansion makes me glad

I was skeptical when they said "AND NOW YOU HAVE A BUGGY" but apparently it works!

Doesn't surprise me too much because the one dominant thing other than amazing level structure and day night mechanics they got great in the game was just the general combat and movement. So I'd figure new gameplay would be easy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The good word I'm hearing about this expansion makes me glad

I was skeptical when they said "AND NOW YOU HAVE A BUGGY" but apparently it works!

You get in the buggy at night and think you're safe from the Volatiles. NOPE.

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Are there 3others here who have the game on PS4? I really wanna pick it up but it's just so much more fun with mates.

I have it on PS4; what time zone are you? I cheesed the hell out of duplicating the airdrop packages, so I think I'm max survivor level, but I've barely played any of the actual game yet. If that doesn't bother you, I'd be willing to join up sometime.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I haven't played this in months so jumped back in.

I had a quest that asked me to run to the bridge, climb to the top and get some light bulbs.

Ran all the way there. It was a pain in the butt.

Started climbing. Controls were iffy as usual, made it up one strut, across a beam, into the strut on the other side. Climbed up a yellow pole; jumped over to a another ledge, tried to climb up the side of a platform with handholds and foot hold all over the fucking thing NOPE it's not clamable fall back down to where I was. Climb up the stuff again except this time NOPE the stuff I climbed before isn;t climable, fall all the way back doen, past where I was, die, respawn all the way back at the tower.

Oh yeah, THAT'S why I stopped.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That quest is one of the harder ones in the game. Next time you should probably run by a safe house to have it set your respawn point :)

• Options
    I think you can get the grapple before you do that bridge quest, which makes it super easy.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    You can also skip all the climbing by crouch walking up one of the suspension cables of the bridge instead

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    You can also skip all the climbing by crouch walking up one of the suspension cables of the bridge instead

I tried this but it didn't work!

That was one of the more exciting/frustrating quests as a result

I really liked the view from up top, though! That felt worth it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Holy crap there's like an 8 gig update waiting. Gonna have to do that one piecemeal I'm thinking.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Are there 3others here who have the game on PS4? I really wanna pick it up but it's just so much more fun with mates.

I have it on PS4; what time zone are you? I cheesed the hell out of duplicating the airdrop packages, so I think I'm max survivor level, but I've barely played any of the actual game yet. If that doesn't bother you, I'd be willing to join up sometime.

I'm in the UK but I work nights here so by the time I finish work, it's usually early morning that I'm playing stuff.

I just played about an hour of it and either I'm forgetting it or they added a completely new opening.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Rezzing this a little bit

Now that you can buy a Bow from most merchants, is it worth it to get the Bozak Horde bow? I've been throwing myself at it off and on for a while.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I just picked this up late last night and love what I've played so far. I feel like I'm going to need a lot of alcohol at the rate I'm going though as those big hammer dudes and human groups seem pretty damn tough early on without molotovs.

I have questions!

Right now I'm using money to buy crafting parts since I figure that weapons break too soon and can be found lying around anyway. Also picked up a blueprint that looks like it works on any melee weapon. Is this a good way to go? Related, should I be selling used up weapons or dismantling them for parts?

Is there a good way to fight those flaming zombies? They seem pretty stupid so the one I fought was kept at bay by a foot high railing as I just hit him in the head and upper body when he got up but this was slow and seems less likely to work if the terrain isn't strongly in my favor.

Finally, does using a weapon in a blueprint spit out a new weapon or is it more slapping an upgrade on the old one along with its existing durability etc?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just picked this up late last night and love what I've played so far. I feel like I'm going to need a lot of alcohol at the rate I'm going though as those big hammer dudes and human groups seem pretty damn tough early on without molotovs.

I have questions!

Right now I'm using money to buy crafting parts since I figure that weapons break too soon and can be found lying around anyway. Also picked up a blueprint that looks like it works on any melee weapon. Is this a good way to go? Related, should I be selling used up weapons or dismantling them for parts?

Is there a good way to fight those flaming zombies? They seem pretty stupid so the one I fought was kept at bay by a foot high railing as I just hit him in the head and upper body when he got up but this was slow and seems less likely to work if the terrain isn't strongly in my favor.

Finally, does using a weapon in a blueprint spit out a new weapon or is it more slapping an upgrade on the old one along with its existing durability etc?

Dismantling weapons typically only gives you spare metal and sometimes nails. It's not really as good as getting th cash for the broken weapon IMO.

Flaming zombies are just like other zombies except they're ya know on fire. Helps if you don't get close enough to get burned. Throwing stars, or get the upgrade that lets you kick.

Using a weapon in a blueprint is basically an upgrade on that weapon, but whatever the durability is when you use it, that's what you get. So try to just upgrade "new" weapons to get the most out of them.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    As I stated a few pages ago, keep one of those rebar clubs wielded by the big guys because they're the first weapon you can encounter that can OHKO them when thrown. Eventually you'll replace with a fire axe or some other weapon that can do the same job without being as unwieldy.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I'm a little deeper in to this now, and I've realized something important: You really need to spend time scavenging. If you don't you're not going to have the money or materials to keep your weapons up. Plus you'll find some good weapons doing that. I was kind of just going from quest to quest, not scavenging, and I was having a bit of a weapon crisis. Since I spent some time going around the world and just looting things that has eased up considerably and I have a lot more money to play with.

Survivor level 9 now, working on getting to 12 so I can open up the grappling hook. Once I'm there I figure I'll continue with the main story.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kind of silly question to post in a dedicated thread, but should I get this?

I like Far Cry, Fallout, et al., and generally into FPSes. Is there anything that's really putting people off?
    Thanks!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You should try the demo if there's one on your platform of choice. I tried it out on xb1 and the demo sold me

Edit-google says steam and the ps4 also have a demo.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I like Far Cry, Fallout, et al., and generally into FPSes. Is there anything that's really putting people off?
    Thanks!

I'm still pretty early but really am enjoying it 8 hours in. You're barely able to kill a zombie with just weapon swings early in so you have to use more abilities. So far my favorite is to drop kick a zombie that's on a roof top off. There are also a lot of spike traps you can kick or lure zombies into.

Weapon durability for melee weapons can be a bit of a pain but you find so many just wandering around and can pick up at least one fresh new weapon each day from npcs that it shouldn't ever become a real bottleneck.

The only thing I'm not terribly fond of so far is fighting against human enemies. There's no real tell for when they're going to block or evade one of your attacks in place so the melee combat loses a lot of its weighty feeling and they seem to have some tricks you don't get like parrying a throwing weapon. That said, so far I've been able to just craft a molotov cocktail and throw it at them to put an end to their nonsense.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Thanks!

The only part off putting for me is the utterly terrible final levels in the main game and the expansion. Other than that the only thing I can think of is things are a bit tedious until you rank up a bit and get better gear. Still totally a 5/7, would parkour again.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Eventually weapons get too strong. Eventually you'll start seeing hordes of zombies and stop thinking about ways to parkour around them or manipulate the horde into an area where you have the advantage, and instead just walk through it spamming m1 as each swing instantly kills 5 zombies before they can touch you.

The grappling hook also tarnishes the parkour aspect. Once you get it, you no longer the world as a puzzle to solve with your parkour skills. Instead you just look at where you want to go and press a button.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I'm on PC. Laptop with NVIDIA 765M.

Sounds pretty cool, forgot there is a demo so will check that out.
    I like exploring, but most games are very flat so if there's a lot verticality that's a nice change.

• Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Fuck the Bozak Horde

I'll just make do with this shitty bow, it's impossible to get the other one

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The grappling hook is a life saver at night though. It makes getting around trivial during the day, sure but when you're being chased by volatiles in pitch blackness.... I'll take the hook.

• Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Fuck the Bozak Horde

Supposedly there's a nice crossbow in the DLC area.

In the interim, I'm getting decent use out of the shitty bow. Does the Bozak bow have a better trajectory because that's been the main downside of this store bought bow.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Fuck the Bozak Horde

Supposedly there's a nice crossbow in the DLC area.

In the interim, I'm getting decent use out of the shitty bow. Does the Bozak bow have a better trajectory because that's been the main downside of this store bought bow.

I'm not sure about the trajectory, but I know it does a ton more damage.

And yeah the crossbow could be a cool consolation prize, but man, I want to be a Robin Hood!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So how is the DLC? Completely separate? Something you can start from the vanilla campaign whenever?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    So how is the DLC? Completely separate? Something you can start from the vanilla campaign whenever?

The Following is accessed from main menu and is separate (basically treated as a side mission to main game). It recommends you are survivor level 12 but you can do it lower if you know what you are doing.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

The Following is accessed from main menu and is separate (basically treated as a side mission to main game). It recommends you are survivor level 12 but you can do it lower if you know what you are doing.

So do they blend at all ever? I'm not done with the main game, what happens if I start a new Following game? Can I use my current character or does it start a new one?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I'm a little deeper in to this now, and I've realized something important: You really need to spend time scavenging. If you don't you're not going to have the money or materials to keep your weapons up. Plus you'll find some good weapons doing that. I was kind of just going from quest to quest, not scavenging, and I was having a bit of a weapon crisis. Since I spent some time going around the world and just looting things that has eased up considerably and I have a lot more money to play with.

Survivor level 9 now, working on getting to 12 so I can open up the grappling hook. Once I'm there I figure I'll continue with the main story.

The power substation in the slums is where I farm for zombie drops. Day time for farming, nighttime for combat xp. I just throw molotovs and torch crowds of zombies since there is so many, then take my time cleaning up the drops after the corpses disappear.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

So do they blend at all ever? I'm not done with the main game, what happens if I start a new Following game? Can I use my current character or does it start a new one?

When you start you can choose, and it retains your character. Gear, skill level, etc.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Hadn't checked in on this in a while, didn't realize the patch was adding so much. Checked on it.

New skill tree seems to have exactly the same problem I had with the base game: it looks like you eventually just max out everything? It super bugged me in vanilla how eventually everyone ended up with the same skillset.

Can anyone speak to that in the expansion?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    Hadn't checked in on this in a while, didn't realize the patch was adding so much. Checked on it.

New skill tree seems to have exactly the same problem I had with the base game: it looks like you eventually just max out everything? It super bugged me in vanilla how eventually everyone ended up with the same skillset.

So far the new Driving tree does seem to operate the same way as the others do.

In unrelated news, the Bozak Horde has been defeated.

https://youtu.be/QUAItQmq-LU
    At least until I feel like I need to be able to craft my own arrows

• Options

I'd rather be able to max out everything then not be able to, with this skill tree anyway. It would have been nice to see SOME sort of specialization tho.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I never even got close to maxing out everything by the time I finished Dying Light. I only unlocked the grappling hook during the last hour or so of the game!

Looking forward to diving in to the expansion when time allows.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options

I'd rather be able to max out everything then not be able to, with this skill tree anyway. It would have been nice to see SOME sort of specialization tho.

Perhaps take a page from The Secret World? You can unlock everything and respec with ease, but you can only have a small fraction of the abilities equipped at one time.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

Perhaps take a page from The Secret World? You can unlock everything and respec with ease, but you can only have a small fraction of the abilities equipped at one time.

Not a bad approach for an MMO and a few out there do similar (Guild Wars comes to mind) but a more action oriented title likely wants you to immediately be able to try out the skill you unlocked and not have to spend too much time in menus fiddling with your build. And differences in playstyle still occur even if the overall skillset tends to be similar. You can't tackle, dropkick, and slide kick all at the same time and likely will favor some over the others.

But also there's the fact that not everyone is as thorough about doing every sidequest or random encounter so they won't all end up unlocking all the skills.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I'm surprised they didn't at least add weapon type specialization like they had in Dead Island, like for bladed or bludgeoning or throwing or guns. They could even have had specializations for the elemental types of damage too.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I'm surprised they didn't at least add weapon type specialization like they had in Dead Island, like for bladed or bludgeoning or throwing or guns. They could even have had specializations for the elemental types of damage too.

They likely didn't want to have the power disparity Dead island could have early on. You don't find guns for a while in Dying Light outside of the fixed pistol location and find far more blunt weapons early on with only a few knives.

The legendary levels are pretty much about specializing though and come at a time when you would have access to a full breadth of things so you know what you're specializing in. I'm far from unlocking those still and finding an exact list or tree on google is tough since you mostly get preview articles from last year but people reference things like "bow master" or boosting health.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile