As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What PAX event to choose -

NoxzNoxz Registered User new member
Hey!

I really want to go to Pax, but which one of the events / types should I choose and whats the differances, is it just the placement?

Thanks

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    For the most part, the differences are size/locale/venue/time of year.

West is the biggest, taking up a good chunk of downtown Seattle and taking 4 days.
    East is rather big, taking up the entire BCEC. However, the area around it is mostly industrial (although the city is working on that).
    South is the smallest show (which makes sense since it has only just had its second show), but it's right in the heart of downtown SA and in a newly-renovated building (which we just barely weren't able to use).
    Australia is really far away, but personally has my favorite venue for PAX. Also in a great location by downtown Melbourne.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • NoxzNoxz Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    For the most part, the differences are size/locale/venue/time of year.

West is the biggest, taking up a good chunk of downtown Seattle and taking 4 days.
    East is rather big, taking up the entire BCEC. However, the area around it is mostly industrial (although the city is working on that).
    South is the smallest show (which makes sense since it has only just had its second show), but it's right in the heart of downtown SA and in a newly-renovated building (which we just barely weren't able to use).
    Australia is really far away, but personally has my favorite venue for PAX. Also in a great location by downtown Melbourne.

What about Pax Prime? Thanks for the answer btw :)

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Prime is now West

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

West's biggest problem is space, so stuff is spread all over downtown in various hotels. Getting tickets is also hardest and it sells out in minutes. If you want to buy them not from a scalper, you have to be actively monitoring the right channels so you can get in ASAP. It's also open for 4 days instead of 3 for all the others. Being in downtown Seattle is fantastic.

East's problem is lack of anything near the convention center. It seems to be the PAX people are most likely to only go to for 1 day. I assume this is because they'd rather spend one juggernaut day never leaving the convention center than go back and forth.

South is not currently attracting big video game publishers, while both East & West do. Some people love this, some hate it. So far, South has been more indie and board gaming focused (their PAX 10 is boardgames unlike the other 2). But it's growing rapidly so this could change any year (it's time in the game release schedule will have an effect too). Being in downtown San Antonio is quite, nice but for my money Seattle is better. If you want to see a specific developer or upcoming AAA game, South might not be your jam yet.

Personal advice, if you can get West, go there. If not and you are ok with a more low-key experience, go to South.