As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Postapoc Drifter - from concept to cast resin miniature [WIP]

latzkovitslatzkovits Registered User new member
I've diddled around with drawing for most of my life, doing concept design and 3D modeling for several years now.

In the last few months I've been working on several 3D models, with the end goal of turning them first into a high detail 3D print, then eventually a fully painted cast resin miniature.

One of these characters is going to be sort of a drifter - part scavenger, part conman, cute and "somewhat" psychotic.

So, without further ado, here are some concept art pieces, with 3D renders soon to follow.
Any and all feedback and criticism are welcome.

d4mdd972tfvf.png

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming you'll be breaking down the forms into component parts for resin casting? What scale are you aiming to do these in? You'll likely have to simplify some of the forms to get a good resin cast unless you are working under pressure.

• Options
    I'm working under some time constraint, but luckily there's no rush. The scales are going to be ranging from 1:36 through 1:12 all the way to the truly colossal 1:6. As for details and breaking it down into pieces... it's all going to depend on the current scale, in 1:36 the finished model will not have as much minute details as the 1:6 one, neither will it require to be broken down into so many smaller parts.

• Options
    Some concept art for the doll which you can see on the two rightmost sketches.

O2tUegh.png

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @latzkovits

I like the doll, looking forward to seeing more of the work as it translates to 3D. I personally find it hard to critique 3d artists while they are still in the sketch phase, I feel like so much of it is just notation and that the work really comes to life once they are in their preferred media.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    ha, by under pressure I mean pressure casting. Using air pressure to force even resin distribution.

yeah, at 1:36 you'll want to simplify. the others you should be able to get pretty tightly detailed.

I like the level of detail in the hair on the doll, it's very creepy-cute. I think you might need some observation study on the shaping, though - - a ponytail of gathered yarn will gather into a round bundle, where what you have currently is behaving more like wire cable (which for all I know may be intentional, but if it's meant to be yarn a softer quality will be more natural in appearance).

• Options
    @Iruka: Thanks :)

@tapeslinger: Haha, sorry :) Yeah, we'll be using pressure chambers for casting. The doll's hair was sorta intentional, it gives her a nice, rugged feeling.