As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] This thread was punched into oblivion, post in the new one

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The latest trailer doesn't make me have any more interest in BvS... but put me on the "give Affleck a freaking solo Batman movie" wagon.

Because he's rocking a pretty badass Batman.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It looked like Superman was trying to kill Batman at the end of that trailer. If Batman hadn't been able to block that punch, he'd probably be paste.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Justice League Dark could be a R movie. Or The Authority. Or the aforementioned Lobo. Or The Outsiders (depending on the lineup). Or a Joker solo-pic, covering either his origin (if that's not in Suicide Squad) or the death of a Robin or two. Secret Six works as well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Off topic: Deadpool made a record-breaking $150 million over the weekend.

On topic: What's WB's reaction? Suicide Squad reshoots with more cussing? Harley Quinn movie? Lobo movie?

I'm guessing we're at the cusp of a real turning point here.

That's assuming WB learns the right lesson from it, which they don't have history of doing.

My assumption is they'll take the wrong lesson and lurch clumsily in a completely different direction. So: rap battle in the middle of Justice League?

R-rated big budget Gotham trilogy.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Finally watched the last BvS trailer. I guess that they're trying to make Batman the bad guy since he's busting out the Cheney 1% doctrine line.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That 1% line is so dumbly psychotic, even for Batman.

That would mean not a single powered individual in this universe would be beyond being murdered by Batman. He would be the Punisher of the DCCU.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

That would mean not a single powered individual in this universe would be beyond being murdered by Batman. He would be the Punisher of the DCCU.

That's what they're going for with this Batman.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

100% accurate representation for Batman, though.

The context, I'm assuming, if they're not big dumb dumbs, is that Batman needs to prepare for when Superman goes rogue.

If it's "I just need to kill this motherfucker" then it's out of character for Batman.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

100% accurate representation for Batman, though.

The context, I'm assuming, if they're not big dumb dumbs, is that Batman needs to prepare for when Superman goes rogue.

If it's "I just need to kill this motherfucker" then it's out of character for Batman.

Prepare, sure. Be a dick to them in person? Yep. Not starting fights off immediately like this one seems to be doing. It really says a lot that despite this I'm still on his side.

• Options
    We're only getting trailer info though.

I'm not going to say for certain because lolsnyder, but I'd guess lex or the senator concoct a plan to manipulate Superman for their own desires. Then Batman has to put a stop to it, even if it means killing him (his original plan where he's talking about the 1%).

If I was writing the story, without having the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE background that TDK:R has, that's how I'd work it.

But I'm probably a better writer than terrio, goyer, and/or snyder.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I mean the 2 of the 3 trailers have so far had lex doing a god vs man speech, then talking about if man won't kill god, I'm wagering he's behind it.

• Options
    I mean the 2 of the 3 trailers have so far had lex doing a god vs man speech, then talking about if man won't kill god, I'm wagering he's behind it.

Well yeah, he's Lex Luthor. :)

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what bothers me about this. Batman would totally prepare a contingency plan for if Superman crossed the line and had to be taken out.

He wouldn't just straight up decide to go murder him. Hell, the fight they want to copy is one that Superman picks.

• Options
    Ultimately why I don't decide how shitty a movie is by its trailers, they tend to be really bad sometimes.

There's probably a lot more story associated with it and Snyder just picked things that said "MEGA HYPEEEEEEEE" to him.

That's why he threw in that "you should not pick a fight with this guy" line. Because he thought it was lip service to the fans in a way we know that he knows that they know that they both know they're super heroes.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only thing really off is how overt Batman is being. Sure, he always has a plan to take down his allies if they go rogue. Most of the time though he'll at least wait until they actually go rogue, or he has near irrefutable proof they are.

This Batman isn't even waiting. "If there's even a remote possibility then it's fact and we strike now!". Or at least that's what the trailers keep implying. Hopefully the movie actually has some depth to this. Because as is, like I said the trailers make it seem like he's really angry one of his buildings got wrecked, so time to commit justified potential deicide.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well, snyder being full of himself, he has said that he's worried people are going in expecting a marvel popcorn flick and not looking for the depth that BvS provides.

I sometimes wonder if he's watched a Marvel movie in his life, or if he just sits there in front of a mirror and masturbates profusely.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    We're only getting trailer info though.

I'm not going to say for certain because lolsnyder, but I'd guess lex or the senator concoct a plan to manipulate Superman for their own desires. Then Batman has to put a stop to it, even if it means killing him (his original plan where he's talking about the 1%).

If I was writing the story, without having the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE background that TDK:R has, that's how I'd work it.

But I'm probably a better writer than terrio, goyer, and/or snyder.

Jury's still out on Terrio because no one's seen the damn movie. If it works, it's probably because he re-wrote Goyer's draft.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    I expect BvS to have just about as much depth as a Transformers movie.

• Options
    So there's more than meets the eye?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Yes, it'll get worse than it first appears.

• Options
    The only thing really off is how overt Batman is being. Sure, he always has a plan to take down his allies if they go rogue. Most of the time though he'll at least wait until they actually go rogue, or he has near irrefutable proof they are.

This Batman isn't even waiting. "If there's even a remote possibility then it's fact and we strike now!". Or at least that's what the trailers keep implying. Hopefully the movie actually has some depth to this. Because as is, like I said the trailers make it seem like he's really angry one of his buildings got wrecked, so time to commit justified potential deicide.

Which attempts by hitting him with his car. Good plan? Great plan!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Which attempts by hitting him with his car. Good plan? Great plan!

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around actually.

Superman appears in front of the Batmobile as he comes around the corner for the express purpose of having him bounce off and wreck the car, so Superman can warn Batman to quit being a vigilante.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It makes sense for Batman to have those sentiments, it's just that those lines are not very well written.

The dialogue about the Justice League being a threat in the Cadmus arc of Justice League is way better. The confrontation between Batman and Amanda Waller discusses the same subject matter but it's actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcykee2UJ0

They also had a much better version of the "devils don't come from the hell beneath us, they come from the sky" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpWRQhAh9c

• Options
    I love how Batman scares Waller.

I love how Batman calls everyone's bluff every single fucking time.

• Options
    Even Batman gave a pretty great version of it in Justice League: Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxqq83_okxs

Though again, the notion itself is a pretty old one for the character. Just that it's typically been reactive, while this movie is making it out to be extremely proactive.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's REACTING to Superman and his ilk destroying Metropolis and killing a bunch of people in a Wayne tower. Batman in this film didn't just see a flying man and decide he was dangerous, he has seen what he is capable of.

• Options
    It's REACTING to Superman and his ilk destroying Metropolis and killing a bunch of people in a Wayne tower. Batman in this film didn't just see a flying man and decide he was dangerous, he has seen what he is capable of.

Superman was technically saving the Earth with that, Batman should be denying his methods with how he did it. Maybe he will be, it isn't shown in the trailers. It's not what he's capable of that he's afraid of it's that he knows Superman will destroy humanity with it. That's why it's reactive, Superman isn't destroying humanity yet.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Even Batman gave a pretty great version of it in Justice League: Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxqq83_okxs

Though again, the notion itself is a pretty old one for the character. Just that it's typically been reactive, while this movie is making it out to be extremely proactive.
    That's like peak ideal Batman and Superman in my mind. "I am willing to take down everyone to get the job done." "Yeah? Even yourself?" "Yeah." "OK, rad, here's my weakness. I trust you."

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Superman was technically saving the Earth with that, Batman should be denying his methods with how he did it. Maybe he will be, it isn't shown in the trailers. It's not what he's capable of that he's afraid of it's that he knows Superman will destroy humanity with it. That's why it's reactive, Superman isn't destroying humanity yet.

Eh, I can see a Batman who lives in Gotham City finding it hard to trust in the benevolence of an effective god.

• Options

Eh, I can see a Batman who lives in Gotham City finding it hard to trust in the benevolence of an effective god.

But he wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe giving him a stern talking to if Superman found himself in Gotham.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I can see situations where Batman would decide to proactively go out and punch Superman.

I can't see a situation where Bruce Wayne would make that one percent speech while at 117% anger.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I could see a Batman in his twilight years adopting a "strike first" attitude. If we got see his experiences first hand though. As is indicative of the movie though, we're jumping to Twilight Batman from the get-go. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get a brief flashback of a dead and bloodied Robin with maniacal laughter in the background and that's how we'll infer that this Batman gives no more fucks. But most people who don't know the stories will just wonder what the hell is going on, who is that, why is this important, ect.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I think it's a clumsy line meant to communicate a pretty rational idea. This idea that Batman would preemptively take out a "hero" - no. And that is how that line kind of comes across.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the batman in dark knight returns is older, has lost or pushed away most of his friends and allies, and is frustrated because physical deterioration pushed him into retirement with his job undone (as he sees it anyway.) Superman in that book has become a quasi-stooge for the government, and winds up being sent to arrest the now-more-extreme batman when he returns to action.

BvS seems to be hitting a lot of the same character beats; it wouldn't surprise me if it winds up being superman who initiates the conflict in the film (maybe this is the scene in the trailers where he tells batman to 'bury it' or whatever.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I suspect that Batman is acting the way he is as a way to test Superman. He wants to see how far Superman will go to stop him and let him know that there is a person who can stop him if need be. I think this idea works much better before all the superheros come out of the woodwork. Once they're joined by Wonder Women and crew, Superman is no longer a lone god.

If Batman is branding people just because he's lost his marbles, Superman is completely in the right to tell him he needs to stop.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'd have more faith in this movie if they even put 1/8th of the thought into it this thread has.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Oh god, so the Alfred in BvS was never the Waynes butler. He was Thomas and Martha Waynes bodyguard and head of security.

Which, as the article mentions, begs the question of what the fuck were you doing Alfred when they got shot? Alfred is now the complete personification of "You had one job."
    ...Following their death, Bruce let all of the Wayne’s servants go, except for Alfred, who still remains as the Wayne family Chief of Security, presumably over a section of staff that basically doesn’t exist any more. Now that there’s no staff, it’s apparently Alfred that makes the decision to let Wayne Manor fall into disrepair, choosing to live in a “comfortable” trailer on the grounds of the ruined manor while Bruce slums it in a fancy lakeside pad.

Well he's not a butler, so fuck it. Let's just let the place rot.

• Options
    This change actually pisses me off more than the other stuff I've heard. It's not like this is going to improve the story, or setup a good hook that will be used. It's more the writer/director trying to make the setting 'theirs' and piling on even more grimdark.

• Options
    I'm ok with Alfred being more like Butler the, er, butler from the Artemis Fowl books.

They should have made him Bruce's bodyguard to avoid the whole miserable failure aspect.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Well but Bruce was right there with his parents when they were mugged. It'd be kind of a dick move for Alfred not to save his parents. They're going to have to rework the entire scenario and invent a reason that Alfred couldn't save them.