As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Everything is frozen, the nice building people shoveled and machined all the snow from last night/this morning off of their sidewalks

Then the freezing rain came and made every nice clean shoveled surface an ice slick

I almost couldn't shuffle uphill to get to the train

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    freezing rain sucks so much, not much you can do but put down some gravel/sand/salt and hope for some warmer weather to melt it away.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When it rains? Slush is both interesting and gross
    Splat as it falls to the ground and you just stare

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that's what I did a few minutes ago

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's nasty out tonight.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Japanese Star Wars ticket stub from 1978

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yeah, the idea of toga parties as a frat thing has always confused me.

The ones I have heard of, you're not allowed to use pins or any other ancillary devices to hold it on, just the bedsheet by itself.

So basically, as people get drunker, they are more likely to slip and accidentally get naked.

broken image link
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Everything is frozen, the nice building people shoveled and machined all the snow from last night/this morning off of their sidewalks

Then the freezing rain came and made every nice clean shoveled surface an ice slick

I almost couldn't shuffle uphill to get to the train

Yea, I'm calling in a work from home today. The road in immediate sight seems not terrible, but my car was encased and I don't trust the whole 40 minute drive to be clear.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My first real job after college was in a town about 20-30 minutes north from where I lived. There was a winter storm one morning, but it stopped by 6-7ish and everything seemed fine on the roads, so me and my carpool mate drove up to work, and about 5 miles away the roads started getting really icy.
    We got to work, the parking lot was almost completely empty and a solid sheet of ice. We get inside, pretty much the only people there are the owners, the whole town it's in is without power.
    We felt really stupid for not calling ahead to check how the storm affected them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My car had an ice coating this morning too, but fortunately it was thin enough I just had to yank on the doors a bit to get them open.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the idea of toga parties as a frat thing has always confused me.

The ones I have heard of, you're not allowed to use pins or any other ancillary devices to hold it on, just the bedsheet by itself.

So basically, as people get drunker, they are more likely to slip and accidentally get naked.

Which is ridiculous, honestly

College parties should be about people intentionally getting naked

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Counterpoint. There was a rash of gonorrhea cases around here recently due to a party at a local college. So yeah...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    18 year old gymnast, Marisa Dick, from Trinidad and Tobago created a fancy new maneuver for her gymnastics performance at the World Gymnastics Championships in Glasgow last year.

It requires leaping off the springboard and landing on the balance beam in the splits position — toes pointed and arms stretched in the air.

It is now a legally recognized feat in the official Code of Points for the sport. And she got it named after her!

So now, if you are able, it's no longer a bad thing to do The Dick Move.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Boo!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    12744025_1167851539916176_3960330103362548039_n.jpg?oh=363045e9845c2873ae3fa2e75d6e3ccd&oe=57655972&__gda__=1462392935_6be67f7dc54a1aa967ec48db30df0e33

A crop farmer has captured this photo of a baby brown snake caught and killed by a daddy long-legs spider on his farm at Griffith, NSW. Australia.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wait

How did a long-legs do that? Aren't they basically harmless to anything that isn't an insect?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wait

How did a long-legs do that? Aren't they basically harmless to anything that isn't an insect?

It's Australia
    Spiders are everywhere and Spiders are the true rulers of the land
    glory to the spiders!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Man, that spider is silly. You can't eat that whole thing, spider!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Goddamned nightmare fuel

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    snake snack

broken image link
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait

It might have just got stuck and died. I though daddy long legs were venomous but too small to bite anything much larger than them? But I could be wrong.

Or it could be another spider ...now they're working together ...

• Options
    Daddy Long legs have fangs two small to pierce the skin
    but a lot of things in Oz are venomous.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Daddy Long legs have fangs two small to pierce the skin
    but a lot of things in Oz are venomous.

Actually that is a myth. Their fangs are perfectly capable of piercing skin, and their venom is relatively mild enough that it doesn't hurt people.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Wait

It might have just got stuck and died. I though daddy long legs were venomous but too small to bite anything much larger than them? But I could be wrong.

That'd be the sensible move, really. That snake's big enough to feed an entire crew of spiders.

Oh man, we're gonna need a collective noun for a group of spiders now. I recommend "horror". A horror of spiders.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2016
    On the bright side, Australian brown snakes are deadly motherfuckers, so overall I'd say there's a good chance that spider is on our side. The enemy of my enemy, and all that.

tynic on
  • Options
    On the bright side, Australian brown snakes are deadly motherfuckers, so overall I'd say there's a good chance that spider is on our side. The enemy of my enemy, and all that.

I suppose if I had to pick one of the two to invade my house, a cadre of spiders would be preferable to a deadly, deadly snake.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Daddy Long Legs are chill as all hell, go with them

they don't even register as spiders to me, just funny gangly walking bugs

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Daddy long legs" is a name that's applied to a variety of different arthropods so what might be a "Daddy long leg" in North America might be different from Australia.

In New England the name is applied to Opiliones (or Harvestmen), which aren't even spiders, but a different kind of arachnid. One of the key differences between Opiliones and spiders is that they don't have venom glands, so it's a myth about them having stronger venom than spiders. It seems like the "Daddy Long legs" spider in Australia is actually a kind of cellar spider.

(Did I do good @BugBoy ?)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    "Daddy long legs" is a name that's applied to a variety of different arthropods so what might be a "Daddy long leg" in North America might be different from Australia.

In New England the name is applied to Opiliones (or Harvestmen), which aren't even spiders, but a different kind of arachnid. One of the key differences between Opiliones and spiders is that they don't have venom glands, so it's a myth about them having stronger venom than spiders. It seems like the "Daddy Long legs" spider in Australia is actually a kind of cellar spider.

I've seen both types here and both have been called Daddy Long Legs because most people don't look past dem gams to realize that they have significantly different abdomens.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    A Daddy long-legs in australia is definitely a spider. But mostly they're beneficial and eat mosquitoes and things. Only downside is that white-tails prey on them, so when I lived in white-tail territory we were warned not to leave too many DLL's in the house in case nastier things took up residence.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    At first I thought that a white-tail was some annoying bird.

What a silly thought.

Of course it is not a bird.

It's a big horrible spider.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I've seen both types here and both have been called Daddy Long Legs because most people don't look past dem gams to realize that they have significantly different abdomens.

Um maybe you shouldn't be staring at anyone's abdomen, sir.

• Options
    Houk wrote: »

But ogling their legs is fine?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    You don't show off legs like that unless you want a little spider attention

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

But ogling their legs is fine?

They got eight legs and eight eyes, you do the math

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Who doesn't enjoy a nice pair of pair of pair of sweet gams?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »

This is one of your better post/av synergies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dang it The Geek, the rules have been made clear. You only have two eyes, so you're only supposed to ogle two legs at once!

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »

This is one of your better post/av synergies.

Especially because Zap would be totally into that

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Wait

That'd be the sensible move, really. That snake's big enough to feed an entire crew of spiders.

Oh man, we're gonna need a collective noun for a group of spiders now. I recommend "horror". A horror of spiders.

I believe it's a Clutter or a Cluster of Spiders. Although the rules on how collective nouns for animals get generated have always seemed kind of spurious to me, so a Horror of Spiders seems just as valid.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
This discussion has been closed.