As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sold a $50 on eBay, but buyer has 0 feedback

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm an inexperienced seller and I just sold an item on eBay; I forgot to add shipping costs, and I was going to leave it like that and just ship it tomorrow until I realized that the person has zero feedback. I don't like the idea of shipping the item to them because they might be trying to scam me by receiving the item and asking for a refund saying they didn't get the item in the condition that was stated. Is there a way to refund the item to the person without losing money on fees?

RockinX on

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    ...if you sold the item and forgot to accommodate the cost of shipping that's on you. The fact the person doesn't give feedback should be meaningless to the fact they bought what you are selling and money changes hands.

I don't know if there is an avenue to do what you suggest or not, but it seems like a dick thing to do and would be the kind of thing that I ~would~ leave a ton of reports about to prevent you from having future sales.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    You are required to send the item to the person who bought it! New users have their payments put in a special escrow anyways to prevent the new user = scammer phenomenon. I can't stress enough though that it is your fault your forgot to add the shipping costs and you are 100% required to send the item to the person who purchased it. That's the whole point of an auction.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    You are required to send the item to the person who bought it! New users have their payments put in a special escrow anyways to prevent the new user = scammer phenomenon. I can't stress enough though that it is your fault your forgot to add the shipping costs and you are 100% required to send the item to the person who purchased it. That's the whole point of an auction.
    Oh, new users are put in a special escrow anyway? That's a relief.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I forgot to add shippings costs, that was irrelevant information, lol.

Thanks, I'll just ship the item tomorrow then. I've read so many horror stories about people with no feedback asking for a refund that I got really scared.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I forgot to add shippings costs, that was irrelevant information, lol.

Thanks, I'll just ship the item tomorrow then. I've read so many horror stories about people with no feedback asking for a refund that I got really scared.
    I actually ran into this problem recently as well. I had someone ask to cancel their bid during the active auction. I did not. Because an auction is not a 1:1 transfer. I don't ship until I have gotten payment confirmation and can see it. Just make sure not to ship it until you get confirmation.

I actually ran into this problem recently as well. I had someone ask to cancel their bid during the active auction. I did not. Because an auction is not a 1:1 transfer. I don't ship until I have gotten payment confirmation and can see it. Just make sure not to ship it until you get confirmation.

Oh, I got payment confirmation, lol.

But thank you, now I can send the item without fear that they will ask for a refund. DHL Express has tracking anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You should cancel the sale and revise the item, because there is nothing against canceling an item after they paid for it. The money comes right back out of your pay pal account and there is literally no reason you are bound to the sale even if you have their money.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    You should cancel the item and revise it, because there is nothing against canceling an item after they paid for it. The money comes right back out of your pay pal account and there is literally no reason you are bound to the sale even if you have their money.
    I think I unlinked my Paypal account in order to pay manually for fees. I doubt it would bounce back and it will not be seen with good eyes.

You should cancel the item and revise it, because there is nothing against canceling an item after they paid for it. The money comes right back out of your pay pal account and there is literally no reason you are bound to the sale even if you have their money.
    I think I unlinked my Paypal account in order to pay manually for fees. I doubt it would bounce back and it will not be seen with good eyes.

I only have experience with pay pal, but you should call up Ebay support and talk to them about the situation. They have 24/7 support and you will find that they have some great advice, especially for new users.

You don't even have to ask about the item and just ask for advice for future sales.

oHw5R0V.jpg

I only have experience with pay pal, but you should call up Ebay support and talk to them about the situation. They have 24/7 support and you will find that they have some great advice, especially for new users.

You don't even have to ask about the item and just ask for advice for future sales.
    Thanks.

Although I can't call them because I live outside the US, and they won't take e-mail or live chat, so it looks like I'm stuck knowing that I made a mistake and I've learned from it so it won't happen again.

edited February 2016
    Nm.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg

I really appreciate this. I'll give it a go!

Nm.

Thanks to you I found out that I can cancel the order, and the buyer has to confirm they received a refund in order to complete the cancellation.

BTW, it wasn't an auction, it was a Buy it Now sale.

Np, happy to help.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Lol, I saved myself the trouble just talking to the dude. He's an understanding fella and cool with covering the shipping charges separately.

Edit: But the dude doesn't know how to use Paypal, so he told me to cancel, refund, and re-list the item again but this time with shipping taken into account in order to hit rebuy, but he's going to do so after the money back in his account. Yeah, the item is going to be snatched by someone else, it seems. I'm glad he was so understanding and now I feel bad for suspecting of him, but $4 are a lot of money to me right now. This happened for the best.

And next time I definitely will not forget to add shipping charges.

RockinX on