As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheapest/Easiest way to capture video from a PS3

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
So, I'd rather not point a camera at my TV.

I have a fat PS3 hooked up to a ViewSonic TV (which I think tops out at 1080i). My desktop is in another room so I can't do anything with that (or rather, I'd like to avoid trying because it involves moving around a lot of stuff). I have a fairly beefy laptop (i7, 16gb ram) running Windows 8 that would be more convenient to capture to.

When last I tried looking into this, people were recommending Blackmagic Intensity which is way too expensive for what amounts to some unimportant lols. Can I do this for cheaper than $200?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So your laptop has a video-in you can use?

SnagIt $50, (https://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html) is a good tool for capturing relatively short videos and screenshots, with lots of editing options.

It's not a "video editor" but works fine for simple trimming, text overlays, etc.

Edit: ah, thought Blackmagic was just software not a breakout box too.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What model of Viewsonic, lotta new tvs you can just straight up link via blutooth to your pc's, then can just record the broadcast on whatever pc/laptop you stream to.

if not, Blackmagic's are decent, Elgato's aren't bad either, they can handle older consoles a lot better, but ps3 isn't that old, Elgato's are more for like NES/SNES because they can handle 240p on the low end.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    the viewsonic is super old, it doesn't seem to have any features beyond actually having an HDMI port. I checked out the Elgato on Amazon - getting closer to an appealing price range, but because I'm in Canada everything is +30%

I did find this AGPtek thing http://www.amazon.ca/AGPtek®-Capture-video-capture-Recorder/dp/B00VM4J4Y6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1455767272&sr=8-9&keywords=elgato+game+capture which seems to come up under different names with the same pictures (EZcap, E-SDS, Brent, etc.) so I'm assuming it's some knockoff Chinese thing. Worth getting, or is this a case where a real brand name actually makes a difference? The sub-100 price point makes it appealing to me.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I honestly don't know either way on the knockoff. Never heard of it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508