As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A graduate job at Google

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I plan to move into the Business IT sector eventually, systems analyst, IT consultant, that kind of thing. For most of the high paying jobs, however, you need 3-5 years of experience (At least in England you do) and I have no problem taking a low paying job to get that experience.

I was thinking about applying to a job at Google for that experience, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a job I could get at Google that focued on the technical aspect of computers somewhat, and that would be a job to go for with no previous experience (ie. Just having graduated from University).

This will be in 3 years, so it's not like I need the advice mega fast. I just wanted to get a good indication of what kind of job I'd be likely to get at Google if I applied right after I graduate?

Just to note, I mean Google UK. I'm not planning on moving to USA or anything.

Centipeed on

• Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/jobs/index.html

Engineering (35 types of openings)

• Operations and IT (9 types of openings)

• Partner Solutions Organization (8 types of openings)

• Product Management (1 type of openings)

• Sales (25 types of openings)

• Enterprise (2 types of openings)

• Search Services/Syndication (7 types of openings)

• Marketing (6 types of openings)

• Finance (9 types of openings)

• Legal (7 types of openings)

• Business/Corporate Development (16 types of openings)

• Strategy and Business Operations (23 types of openings)

• Human Resources (18 types of openings)

• Administrative (2 types of openings)

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I read through that entire list, job by job, before I posted here. And thanks for the link, I didn't know where Google's website was. :|

What I actually want to know is what advice you guys can give me on what job is best to take for experience as soon as I graduate. You know, from your personal experience and whatnot.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Centipeed wrote:
    I read through that entire list, job by job, before I posted here. And thanks for the link, I didn't know where Google's website was. :|

What I actually want to know is what advice you guys can give me on what job is best to take for experience as soon as I graduate. You know, from your personal experience and whatnot.

I'm assuming you're looking at networking, servers, systems, tech support, that sort of thing. (As opposed to software engineering & programming.) If so, you're looking at what Google calls "Operations and IT." For example, this posting: http://www.google.co.uk/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=36913

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    my knowledge is entirely US based so for you're purposes it might be comepletely unhelpful. That said, jobs for Google here in the US at their headquarters are incredibly hard to come by and insanely competitve. They are a great company to work for and they really pamper their employees. Make sure your references are solid and if called can give very strong opinions about your work ethic and passion for the field. Also make sure you can interview well and and prepare yourself for any and all things they can possibly ask you. Good luck!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    it does seem that the only real option is the one the guy posted above (from the list you read) which is the internship... which i'm sure is being applied for by around about a million people right now, so the best thing to do would be to get a shitty job on the weekends with networks to get the "Some experience of working in an IT department or PC support." it requires....some universities will take on pupils as tech support guys for the school, helping the lower students etc... or look for a local web cafe or something...worth checking out if you can fit it around your studies anyway.

as you know, google isn't a small fry, they probably aren't looking to take on someone green, unless you're a great prospect with excellent grades and the right attitude, in which case the internship would be good, but you'd have to be doing it now whilst studying for the BSc or BA, it's not a post grad job. Would a commute to london be possible for you? also would your course allow you the 6 months out?

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It seems even a tech job at Google is too much to ask for as soon as you graduate. Which I now realise makes sense, because they're not going to maintain a very high standard if they just take on all graduates with no experience.

I guess I'll modify this thread to ask what the best job for a graduate is, with no previous experience? I want something techie, but maybe some business practice so I can move to higher jobs in the business area and not the techie area. If that makes sense.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A lot of my post grad friends got jobs in highschools/libraries etc being the network admin..(they'll take people with less experience because the job is not as high pressured as in a large office or whatever) then after a year or so moved into much better jobs. It's one of those annoying catch 22's, the old "how do i get the experience" things,

sign up for a job search engine (i use totaljobs amongst others) or go into an agency, and keep your eye open for junior positions, a lot of companies look to take on tech support people post grad and train them up specifically for their own companies needs.

Helpdesk positions are often offered to graduates... they may seem a little dumbed down for you at first, but they're widely recognised as the starting place for most IT careers.

Fibretip on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah job search engines are a good place to start. You should also check out your career center at your university and talk to a career counselor. Usually University career center's give you free access to some of the specialized job search engines that would otherwise cost a membership. The other thing is to ask friends and family. You know the saying, "it's not what you know, but who you know"? This definitely holds true in the business world. It's worth it to trade in a couple of favors with an old buddy or classmate to get a decent starting place for your career.

Yeah I'm not sure about Google UK, but in the states, Google is notorious for their hiring process. They had a Wall Street Journal article ( http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116156296729900433-aeEgtHI7MrZ3q88KUVmFhXIkFs8_20071022.html?mod=blogs ) explaining a little about the process. I know my brother had to go through a week's worth of interviews and several written tests to get his job there, but the benefit package they offered were awesome.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    sirSolariussirSolarius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Centipeed wrote:
    It seems even a tech job at Google is too much to ask for as soon as you graduate. Which I now realise makes sense, because they're not going to maintain a very high standard if they just take on all graduates with no experience.

I guess I'll modify this thread to ask what the best job for a graduate is, with no previous experience? I want something techie, but maybe some business practice so I can move to higher jobs in the business area and not the techie area. If that makes sense.

That's not really true. Google hired my friend essentially out of high school (he works there and goes to college now), and tons of people go right from my school to working there.

Have you done any internships? Did you get good grades? If you've done both/either, and you went to college, then go ahead and apply. Google is really good about meritocratic procedures, and they'll give you a fair interview with job-related questions. Don't worry as much about the resume, prepare for the interviews and tests, and you'll have a good shot at getting in.

sirSolarius on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shit, your friend must be Jesus in a hoodie

Sam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Weirdly enough, some woman working for a recruiting company in Cardiff (Where I go to University) phoned me today and asked me if I was looking for part time work. I put down my details and told her I wanted to do some "IT support" type work, and they're going to get back to me if anything comes up.

I asked them how they had gotten my number, and she said that they had a partnership with some fitness company I showed an interest in at a fayre recently. I don't know why a fitness company would have a partnership with a recruitment company, but whatever, works for me.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You may wish to look into something like this while you still qualify as a student. It would be my guess that a good way to get your foot in the door for the job is to already have your foot in the door. It might require some temp travel, either to the States, or somewhere in Europe, but connections from a Google internship anywhere could probably help get you a job in the UK.

EDIT: I do not read reel gud from above. Also, I'm wondering if you're a grad or an undergrad. Also, for the record, London

But Google isn't the place you go to to get experience to move on to a better job I don't think. I imagine that Google is the kind of place you get experience so that you can go to. Don't get too old though, IT is cruel like that from what I understand. Mindwrenching, huh?

piL on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm an undergrad. What do you mean you don't read real good from above?

Centipeed on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Someone else mentioned internships; I thought I was clever and witty.

piL on