As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    A bug that apparently has to do with thunderbolt gpu support in that driver

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Hakunin wrote: »
    6tgyun6oqrny.png

Apparently win10 sees my GPU as a removable drive right now...?

What... What happens if you eject it?

I assume the same thing that happens when you get a driver failure and your GPU restarts.

Or it just "shuts off" (not really) and you're stuck in low resolutions.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, to add the Thunderbolt external GPU support, they've run into some glitches. Since Thunderbolt is (basically) just some PCI-E lanes bundled up in a cable, the driver has a hard time telling the difference.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Putting aside my Win10 search issues (which are hilarious, but I need to give more context) is there a way to get builds quicker than on Connect Windows EEAP? I see these references to Signiant media exchange thing on my EEAP emails, but it looks more like a method of data transfer than a privileged program. Like it seems that users on fast ring are getting builds nearly as quick as devs, so there's no way to get ahead of any potential issues. Is that correct or am I just not able to find the right programs to register for?

I wasn't sure whether to post this to the Win10 thread or what.

perhaps @wunderbar ?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm not a developer so I can't comment.

Microsoft did say late last year that they were going to step up the speed of the insider builds. the jist of it is that they will allow buggier builds through to insider fast to get them out more often. I only know/follow the insider stuff, so that's all I know.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    speaking of insider stuff, for the 12 people that care about Windows Mobile: it sounds like going forward only the 950, 950XL, and 550 (and the 650 when they release it I guess) will be getting Windows 10 Mobile preview builds first. Microsoft has said that insider builds will come to devices with 10 pre-installed first, and devices that had 8.1 preinstalled "later" with no indication of when that will be. Days, weeks, never? no idea.

I have a 635 that I was using to test 10 Mobile on (which is still kind of a tire fire, btw). I'm kinda disappointed to see this change. I wonder if it signals a ongoing problem with getting 10 Mobile working on phones that shipped with 8.1. I'm guessing that the 550, and 950 and xl all run 10 mobile fairly well, while the builds run like absolute ass on my 635.

And really, 10 Mobile was supposed to be out in the fall. the 950 series shipped with some kind of unfinished build, and to my knowledge they still haven't "finished" the OS, and they've said nothing about when it will be available to older devices.

Realistically, this doesn't matter, since Windows Phone is dead to the masses. Microsoft will keep making Win10 mobile because they have to, there will be a few Microsoft made phones because they have to, but that'll be about it. But as far as the tech geek in me goes, I'm kind of sad.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd have been happy to have let Windows Mobile exist and then die without ever having cared about it. What sucks is how much it distorted and continues to distort the design of desktop Windows.

US Department of Defense to standardize on Windows 10, upgrade 4 million PC's by February 2017.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/u-s-department-of-defense-to-upgrade-4-million-devices-to-windows-10-by-february-2017/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

We'll of course never get to see this, but the nerd in me really would love to get inside the planning and execution of this deployment.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Is there another big update planed before the July cutoff? Can't find a date for Redstone, if that's it.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Is there another big update planed before the July cutoff? Can't find a date for Redstone, if that's it.

Redstone should hit before July. There just isn't a date for it because Microsoft isn't giving dates for releases when it doesn't know exactly when it'll be either.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'd have been happy to have let Windows Mobile exist and then die without ever having cared about it. What sucks is how much it distorted and continues to distort the design of desktop Windows.

Windows 8 or Windows in general?

If we're going to go on a chrome vs flat design thing here, I've got a lot of stuff to say on why classic chrome designs are just gussied up leftovers of the VGA era. :+1:

If we're going to go on a chrome vs flat design thing here, I've got a lot of stuff to say on why classic chrome designs are just gussied up leftovers of the VGA era. :+1:

For all the problems with it, Windows 8 and 8.1's tile interface works pretty goddamn brilliantly on the Surface Pro line, and damn well on any tablet PC worth a crap.

Obviously, that's a far cry from desktops, but I'm grateful for WP's role in making that possible.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

For all the problems with it, Windows 8 and 8.1's tile interface works pretty goddamn brilliantly on the Surface Pro line, and damn well on any tablet PC worth a crap.

Obviously, that's a far cry from desktops, but I'm grateful for WP's role in making that possible.

Windows mobile is a great touchscreen interface. It isn't much on a desktop.

Thankfully Win10 solved that little crisis. Going back to Windows 7 feels bleh.

Windows mobile is a great touchscreen interface. It isn't much on a desktop.

Thankfully Win10 solved that little crisis. Going back to Windows 7 feels bleh.

I cannot agree with this more.

My solution, which worked beautifully for me: Start8 as soon as I started using Windows 8 (see what I did there? Very punny). Basically perfect integration of everything I needed from Windows 7 for about $5 (there were free alternatives too, though not as polished).

Being a late, late adopter is awesome.

I'll switch to Windows 10 one day.

My solution, which worked beautifully for me: Start8 as soon as I started using Windows 8 (see what I did there? Very punny). Basically perfect integration of everything I needed from Windows 7 for about $5 (there were free alternatives too, though not as polished).

Id say switch now, and have the functionality you needed to mod into Win 8 as a supported core part of the OS.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The little Windows 10 program in Win 7 won't open for me now; window pops open "Please Wait..." and closes. Why I'm waiting as long as possible to switch!

Id say switch now, and have the functionality you needed to mod into Win 8 as a supported core part of the OS.

Sort of, there's a good chance that you'll want to keep on using that third party start menu even after switching. The built in Windows 10 start menu is pretty terrible if you're not using tiles.

You should at least upgrade and then downgrade, though, so you can keep the entitlement past the July deadline.

edited February 2016

Sort of, there's a good chance that you'll want to keep on using that third party start menu even after switching. The built in Windows 10 start menu is pretty terrible if you're not using tiles.

You should at least upgrade and then downgrade, though, so you can keep the entitlement past the July deadline.

To the bolded:

What?

Also, Start Menu 8 works for 10. For desktops there isnt much of a reason to keep 8.

jungleroomx on

To the bolded:

What?

Also, Start Menu 8 works for 10. For desktops there isnt much of a reason to keep 8.

No pinning, limited shortcuts, absolutely horrendous All Apps menu.

To the bolded:

What?

No pinning, limited shortcuts, absolutely horrendous All Apps menu.

Why do you need to pin the start menu? The taskbar made that a vestigial option in Windows 7. The All Apps menu is just as horrendous as the All Programs menu, especially with the search function (especially how fast the Win 10 one is). I don't see the problem with limited shortcuts, either, because... you know... the desktop.

But I mean, to each their own.

Personally, having access to settings via a right click and being able to pin whatever folder I want to the Start Menu is enough for me. I understand if those things arent adequate for others, though, and require a bit more out of it.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Windows 10 is just all around terrible. It works worse than 8 on tablets and worse than 7 on desktops, interface wise.

I hate windows 10 so much

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Windows 10 is just all around terrible. It works worse than 8 on tablets and worse than 7 on desktops, interface wise.

I hate windows 10 so much

I dont really see much of a difference on desktops.

It works much better with SSD's and is a lot quicker to navigate, for me.

edited February 2016

I actually did briefly--I own Start10, but I've been spoiled by tile shortcuts on my desktop (which might sound briefly counter-intuitive, but worked awesome on my HDTV) since Oblytile alternative on WIndows 10 currently sucks (at least they're trying), and Pinmore leaves way to many gaps open. Obviously, there's a bunch of differences between a modded Windows 8.1 desktop and a unmodded Windows 10 desktop, that's why Start10 exists in the first place. In other words, it's not yet possible because you can't mod it in yet. Again, late adopter = pretty darn awesome. Glad I switched back personally.

I also didn't notice any speed increase with my SSDs--I'm actually not sure how Windows 10 SSD optimization is different than that in Windows 8.1 SSD optimization. I don't doubt that it is, I'm just not familiar with it--it's not like Windows 8.1 didn't have a lot of SSD optimization already.

Also, Start8 on Windows 10 is buggy on the area of transitions (which makes sense, given that the layouts have changed). I didn't mind paying for Start10, but I'll wait till a proper Oblytile replacement exists in Windows 10 first. I particularly don't care for Windows 10's decision to limit tiles horizontally rather than vertically (which sucks on an HDTV), but I know that's unique to my setup. Still waiting for someone to mod that, if ever.

Synthesis on

I actually did briefly--I own Start10, but I've been spoiled by tile shortcuts on my desktop (which might sound briefly counter-intuitive, but worked awesome on my HDTV) since Oblytile alternative on WIndows 10 currently sucks (at least they're trying), and Pinmore leaves way to many gaps open.

In other words, it's not yet possible because you can't mod it in yet. Again, late adopter = pretty darn awesome. Glad I switched back personally.

I also didn't notice any speed increase with my SSDs--I'm actually not sure how Windows 10 SSD optimization is different than that in Windows 8.1 SSD optimization. I don't doubt that it is, I'm just not familiar with it.

Also, Start8 on Windows 10 is buggy on the area of transitions (which makes sense, given that the layouts have changed). I didn't mind paying for Start10, but I'll wait till a proper Oblytile replacement exists in Windows 10 first.

Gotcha.

As far as SSD's go, I don't know if Windows 8 has the option to dump your music, pics, and other HDD-type files to your HDD, but I do know that Windows 8/8.1 keeps defragging on by default even on SSDs. Also, page files should be disabled, but often aren't.

edited February 2016
    As far as SSD's go, I don't know if Windows 8 has the option to dump your music, pics, and other HDD-type files to your HDD, but I do know that Windows 8/8.1 keeps defragging on by default even on SSDs. Also, page files should be disabled, but often aren't.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, since the Windows 8.1 "optimize drive" program (in other words, the defragmenter) registers solid states versus hard disks. I have auto running set up myself--looking at it, it was last run on my SSDs more than two weeks ago and on my HDD 3 days ago.

And obviously, if you do begin the process--it just runs a fast check (takes 1 to 2 seconds) and finishes (rather actually doing that).

The media migration "function" is something I'd literally never use, because, well, I know how drives work (I deliberately keep certain audio files on my SSD for organizational reasons), but I can see how that might be useful for someone who bought an SSD as well as a HDD, but didn't really understand how to use it (kind of an odd scenario). So I guess it's useful? I wasn't even aware that existed.

I don't know about the page files, though--from what I've heard, Windows 8.1 does keep it on for your SSD but uses it sparingly (honestly I assumed this was the same in Windows 10, but I really don't know). On the other hand, these are SSDs here, and even having two of them at 512 GB, I'm always annoyed about having a little less space than I should. I'll need to check my page file settings in Windows 8.1, thanks for the reminder.

Synthesis on
    Yeah, I went with the 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, so I'm guessing our needs are going to differentiate.

My wife has over 60 GB of photos, for instance, and our music collections are 10GB each. Cheap storage for those suckers.

Yeah, I went with the 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, so I'm guessing our needs are going to differentiate.

My wife has over 60 GB of photos, for instance, and our music collections are 10GB each. Cheap storage for those suckers.

No, I did the same with my photo libraries and video files a few years back to my hard disks (then moved all my old disk images to a WD elements external--talk about descending order of importance), so I don't disagree in the least. I've got a pair of 512 GB SSDs and a pair of 1 TB Caviar Blacks for everything else (I have a lot of huge-ass mods for games like Skyrim and Kerbal Space Program, so I actually use most of that space).

The thing is, since I do modding, I need nonshitty working Windows Search--so while I could turn of Indexing (I generally keep +100 GB free on my SSD out of discipline), I can't lose all search functionality by disabling it (as some would suggest).

On the other hand, I could probably move my pagefiles to my externals (one of them is literally only my video library--I have a LOT of foreign films and high quality laserdisk rips) and not suffer any performance loss while scraping a little more space out of my SSDs. Going to have to consult this again I guess. Page files have always been a blind spot of mine.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    @Synthesis What kind of search issues were you having? I have tuned indexing to not search the web and to go ahead and index my drives, cause all I want is for it to search locally the way Win8 does.

I am thinking about just running Win10 in a VM (I need a readily available Win10 client for work). My Win10 I got as an upgrade from Win8.1 being pre-installed. Does anyone know if there would be an issue installing it to a VM since it uses hardware IDs for licensing/activation or somesuch? I have no problems running Ubuntu as the host OS if there is some concern I'd be using the Win8.1 and Win10 installs simultaneously.

Djeet on
    If you NEED search to work well, you might be best off just completely giving up on Windows 10's default search. Either use a tool to get at the earlier search algorithms (they're still floating around in the operating system), or install something like Everything.

Though that's hardly an incentive to upgrade to 10 either.

edited February 2016
    Yeah, that's unfortunate (and I assume what happens with the unified search integration unfortunately). Windows 8.1 search works perfectly, but obviously you need the service running--though you may be able to turn off indexing, as @Djeet pointed out. I'm having no issues at the moment, but I have indexing on--though I have to wonder exactly what performance boost comes with turning off indexing anyway.

EDIT: I should clarify--I'm talking about Windows Explorer search, not the search widget. I think that might suffer from the same problem as Windows 10--it's fine for online searchers, but fairly useless for searching on your own PC.

Explorer search works great though.

Synthesis on
    Djeet wrote: »
    @Synthesis What kind of search issues were you having? I have tuned indexing to not search the web and to go ahead and index my drives, cause all I want is for it to search locally the way Win8 does.

I am thinking about just running Win10 in a VM (I need a readily available Win10 client for work). My Win10 I got as an upgrade from Win8.1 being pre-installed. Does anyone know if there would be an issue installing it to a VM since it uses hardware IDs for licensing/activation or somesuch? I have no problems running Ubuntu as the host OS if there is some concern I'd be using the Win8.1 and Win10 installs simultaneously.

The short answer is no. I don't believe the Win10 free upgrade is licensed to run in a VM environment at all.

Whats the difference between Win7, 8, and 10 start menu searches?

I think that the Windows 7 and 8 searches are mostly identical, but I'm not willing to get close enough to the default search interface for 8 to verify it. I'm pretty sure that Classic Shell basically uses a passthrough for the normal Windows search, and it seems fairly consistent between 7 and 8.

Also, you can definitely pin to the Win10 start menu, it's just not very intuitive.

qg3jlczudsin.png

That just makes a tile, though.

edited February 2016
    That just makes a tile, though.

Whats the difference between a tile you click that opens the program and an icon you click that opens the program?

I've got a weather app, some oft-run programs, and a few apps pinned to the start menu right now. Being able to pin any folder without going into the registry to tinker is freakin great. You can fit a crapload of pins on Win10's start menu, you can even group them.

jungleroomx on
    Yeah, my own gripe (which I fully understand not everyone shares) is that you have to arrange them vertically--I know what they're going for, but if you want to make use of screen real-estate without scrolling, it kind of sucks. They're long-running threads on Windows support griping about that (to be fair, they're also long-running threads griping about circular portraits too).

You can also something to the taskbar, as with Windows 7 and 8, though you have to hover over the 'More' option as I understand it.

Yeah, my own gripe (which I fully understand not everyone shares) is that you have to arrange them vertically--I know what they're going for, but if you want to make use of screen real-estate without scrolling, it kind of sucks. They're long-running threads on Windows support griping about that (to be fair, they're also long-running threads griping about circular portraits too).

Not nearly vertical enough. Pinning just three or four tiles looks horrible.