As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't remember name of snes(?) rpg [SOLVED]

FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been hunting down old rpgs I played as a kid to get a collection going and I remember one game that I liked but can't remember it's name.

I think it's for the Snes, maybe nes, wouldn't be any other console as those are the two we had from that era.

This is what I can remember, parts might be wrong.

you could pick your character at the start of the game from a lot of choices, each played really different, and I don't think you had a party at all. At least not to start out.

I used to pick this like metal golem/robot guy to play as most of the time.

I think you walked around the overworld from a behind the back sorta third person perspective instead of straight overhead.

battles took place with your character at the bottom of the screen and the enemies in front of you facing instead of a side on view.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
Foomy on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Are you sure it's SNES? Because that sounds a lot like SaGa Frontier for PS1. You can pick from a bunch of different characters and they all have their own stories and whatnot.

T260G is one of the characters you can pick

T260G_Model.png

Battle view looks like what you described

Saga_frontier_1_gameplay.jpg

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    It might of been one of the times we rented a different console, as I didn't own the game just one of the ones I grabbed from blockbuster a few times.

But no that screenshot isn't familiar to my brain. The robot/golem guy was just like a big dude made of grey blobs sorta rockish, less robotish.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    As soon as I saw this thread, before ever opening it, I thought "I bet it's gonna be The 7th Saga"

And sure enough, yup, you're thinking of The 7th Saga.

You could be one of these folks to start:

cast7saga.jpg

And you could get some of the folks you didn't pick to join you later

And combat looked like this:

220px-The_7th_Saga.png

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Everything except for the golden robot makes me think of "Live-a-Live", but I doubt it was that game since I think that wasn't actually released in the US and can only be played via... er... "other means".

Maybe Big Sky Trooper...? https://youtu.be/jf-XjLPHo4w?t=8m3s

• Options
    edited February 2016
    YES, 7th saga was it.

Thanks a bunch for having better memory than me.

Foomy on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I loved it too, and went searching for it myself a few years back. Glad to help!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    There's a decent LP write up of the game as well, if you're like me and loved this game as a kid but hated how often it wrecked your shit.

http://lparchive.org/The-7th-Saga/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    There's a decent LP write up of the game as well, if you're like me and loved this game as a kid but hated how often it wrecked your shit.

http://lparchive.org/The-7th-Saga/

I remember it being super hard, and then did some reading up on it now on how the difficulty was changed in the NA release to make it much harder.

I'll probably just throw it in the game genie when I do play it and cheat just to experience the game again without worry.