As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]Break a leg!

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
24775147_1523551601095735_7569564677917827063_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=eTn4mECJAocAX-l5AXZ&_nc_ht=scontent.ffsd1-1.fna&oh=cc873f3fd9cfc5b307100ad433d21517&oe=5E9DE001

Mixed
Martial
Arts

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, from a variety of other combat sports. The roots of modern mixed martial arts can be traced back to the ancient Olympics where one of the earliest documented systems of codified full range unarmed combat was utilized in the sport of Pankration. Various mixed style contests took place throughout Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s. The combat sport of Vale Tudo that had developed in Brazil from the 1920s was brought to the United States by the Gracie family in 1993 with the founding of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which is the largest MMA promotion company worldwide.

Most 'traditional' martial arts have a specific focus and these arts may be trained to improve in that area. Popular disciplines of each type include:

Stand-up: Various forms of Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, TaeKwonDo, and Karate are trained to improve footwork, elbowing, kicking, kneeing and punching.

Clinch: Freestyle, Greco-Roman wrestling, Sambo and Judo are trained to improve clinching, takedowns and throws, while Muay Thai is trained to improve the striking aspect of the clinch.

Ground: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Submission Wrestling, shoot wrestling, catch wrestling, Judo and Sambo are trained to improve ground control and position, as well as to achieve submission holds, and defend against them.

There are two major promotions right now that push this sport.

UFC:

Wikipedia wrote:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is the largest mixed martial arts promotion company in the world, which hosts most of the top-ranked fighters in the sport and produces events worldwide. Based in the United States, the UFC has eight weight divisions and enforces the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. Dana White serves as the president of the UFC while Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta control the UFC's parent company, Zuffa, LLC.

The first UFC event was held in 1993 in Denver, Colorado. The purpose of the event was to identify the most effective martial art in a real fight between competitors of different fighting disciplines, including Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Karate and other styles. In subsequent competitions, fighters began adopting effective techniques from more than one discipline, which indirectly helped create an entirely separate style of fighting known as present-day mixed martial arts.

With a cable-television deal and expansion into Canada, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Asia, and new markets within the United States, the UFC as of 2012 has gained in popularity, along with greater mainstream-media coverage. As of 2001 viewers can access UFC programming on pay-per-view television in the U.S., Brazil, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Italy. UFC programming can also be found on FX, Fuel TV, and Fox in the U.S., on ESPN in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland, as well as in 150 countries and 22 different languages worldwide. UFC also carries a mobile site for on-the-go users and a Sports Bars page for fans to find places showing the pay-per-view. It is also available on the Roku streaming player.

It's current champions are:

Women's Strawweight (115 lbs): Weili Zhang
126_Weili_Zhang.0.jpg

Flyweight (125 lbs): Henry Cejudo
-1x-1.jpg

Women's Bantamweight (135 lbs): Amanda "Lioness" Nunes
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fd3%2Fd8%2Fdec8e2b53bfdcbaccd706f0ca179%2Fla-1562476730-ow1wcml5vs-snap-image

Bantamweight (135 lbs): VACANT

Featherweight (145 lbs): Alexander_Volkanovski
101_Max_Holloway_x_Alexander_Volkanovski.0.jpg

Lightweight (155 lbs): Khabib Nurmagomedov
conor-mcgregor-khabib-nurmagomedov

Welterweight (170 lbs): Kamaru Usman
14ab2ae0-e186-11e9-afe6-a5aff6af6d28

Middleweight (185 lbs): Israel Adesanya
1128598029.jpg?w=862

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Jon "Bones" Jones
tvj8eir60141.jpg

Heavyweight (max 265 lbs): Stipe Miocic
miocic-ngannou-ufc220.webp

Bellator Fighting Championships:

bellator.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Bellator Fighting Championships (Bellator) is the 2nd largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion in the USA and the largest tournament-based MMA organization in the world. Headquartered in Newport Beach, California, the company was formed in 2008 by Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. Bellator’s events are primarily structured around a tournament format that allows competitors the opportunity to fight for a world championship in their desired weight class. Fighters determine their own path by winning tournament fights until a winner from the eight man field is crowned. The tournament winner is declared the number one contender and is awarded a check for $100,000 and a shot at the reigning world champion. Bellator uses the motto “Where title shots are earned, not given...”

It's current champions are:

Women's Flyweight (125 lbs): Ilima-Lei Macfarlane
xv7rmgwaui02.jpg

Bantamweight (135 lbs): Darrion "The Wolf" Caldwell
darrion-caldwell-bellator-151.jpg

Women's Featherweight (145 lbs): Julia Budd
julia-budd-bellator-174.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Featherweight (145 lbs): Patrício "Pitbull" Freire
patricio-freire-bellator-178-post.jpg?w=1000&h=576&crop=1

Lightweight (155 lbs): Brent Primus
DDIs_RkV0AAeBHJ.0.jpg

Welterweight (170 lbs): Douglas Lima
douglas-lima-bellator-140.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Middleweight (185 lbs): Rafael Carvalho
B176Carvalho_Manhoef.0.png

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Ryan "Darth" Bader
usa_today_9692172.0.jpg

Heavyweight (MAX 265 lbs): Ryan "Darth" Bader
aeukbr6dbi5s.jpeg

Awesome.jpg

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Figured I'd get the new thread up.

All the champs are updated. Blah blah.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Anyway, this is a good, silly Bellator card.

See how shot Guillard continues to be!

Watch two street fighters not fight in the street!

Olol Gracie vs Shamrock III!

Bonus:

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Does Newton always carry a Bible to the cage?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Don't shoot a guy in the dick.

Don't fart on a guys balls.

Stop cup checking in a fight.

These are simple rules that need never be uttered because they are ingrained in man, stop it.

Ugh, Mr. Wonderful earns a title shot and then it gets turned into "Hey, we're still really trying to push King Mo...fight him instead!"

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is already such a spectacular card. We've already seen shit fights, dick shots, and Tyson commentating a Melvin Guillard fight. I feel spoiled and it's not even time for the main events

Tito's word salad about 9/11 & terrorism was a thing

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Also, Guillard as a fighter is just sad now.

Oh man, it's just about time:

dumpfire.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Kimbo just tried to pass to side control...from full mount.

I don't even.

Edit: So, it seems Kimbo and Dada are both gassed by the end of the first. I'm shocked. Also, the lights went down for a split second after the end of the first. I am almost positive it was to hide a pot shot if one of them decided to fight after the bell.

I'm pretty sure Big John is pissed he has to ref this fight. He is not being nice to those two gentlemen.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2016
    This is a better fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuKoVc97Gw

It looked like Dada almost uppercutted himself in the middle of round 2.

edit: "we can't look away, don't pretend you can't either." Bravo on the doublespeak, announcer, bravo. (I'm totes serious about that)

TexiKen on
    edited February 2016
    These two men have beaten themselves into a living death.

Ken Shamrock is proud.

Edit: Dada was too tired to stand anymore and lost by sleepiness KO; he wandered away from the fight and passed out.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Greatest fight I've ever seen

Honestly never laughed so hard

All I can do is clap

What a perfect night. What a lovely card. Going down in history

And Shamrock is TKO'd due to a groin shot.

What an amazing finish to an amazing card.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I'd say I'm disappointed by the finish to the main event, but I just figured that Shamrock would get wrecked, this controversy will give us a rematch nobody wants so that's good for them.

edited February 2016
    Magell wrote: »
    I'd say I'm disappointed by the finish to the main event, but I just figured that Shamrock would get wrecked, this controversy will give us a rematch nobody wants so that's good for them.

If we get another televised show half as entertaining as the last hour of this was, I absolutely want it

Preferably at least 6 months from now when my ribs are fully recovered from the laughter

Sweeney Tom on
    Nerds are still posting in the old thread. Pppffffftttt.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular

If we get another televised show half as entertaining as the last hour of this was, I absolutely want it

Preferably at least 6 months from now when my ribs are fully recovered from the laughter

The fact that you so thoroughly enjoyed that Bellator event and are excited to watch more mma, but for reasons completely unintended by Coker and crew amuses me to no end.

Can someone explain to me why he calls himself Dada 5000? Like, why 5000?

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dangerbird wrote: »

The fact that you so thoroughly enjoyed that Bellator event and are excited to watch more mma, but for reasons completely unintended by Coker and crew amuses me to no end.

Dada 1-4999 was taken

either that or because it sounds cool to someone stupid enough to give themselves a number for a name

but who would do such a thing, really

815165 on
    edited February 2016

I got this:

Dhafir is hard to pronounce, so just say Da. Da isn't much of a name so we double it. Dada.

He was sitting around in 2005 and thought the 5000 was cool so he added it.

Dada 5000.

This is legit, btw. I watched the hype stuff about him before the fights.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2016

I've followed the sport for years and let me tell you, the ridiculousness that occasionally happens on the fights themselves and that always happens behind the scenes is so consistently entertaining I'd recommend people follow it even if they don't enjoy or like the fights.

Some of my funniest memories ever, now featuring that whole Bellator event, include live-watching Silva get KO'd mid-taunt, following the RIZIN debacle (the peak was everybody knowing Fedor's opponent, the company swearing it wasn't him, and then choosing him at the last second anyway because they lowballed their real pick and he decided he could make more money elsewhere), and following the Wanderlei-Chael-Vitor clusterfuck (2 men announced as scheduled to fight, one tests positive on a drug test and retires, the other runs out the back of his personal gym when drug testers show up, and the replacement tests positive)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    So uh....Dada 5000's heart stopped and he was in critical condition after the fight.

http://deadspin.com/report-dada-5000-was-in-critical-condition-and-his-hea-1760319953

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Trying to cut 40 pounds? Wow.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    At least he's out of danger now.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    Freakshows are fun as long as they aren't actually dangerous.

Dada was clearly not a professional fighter (despite his 2 fights) and it was dangerous for him to be in that ring.

I joked that he looked like he lost by TKO (Heart attack) and I was mostly right. :(

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Anyway, WSOF is on right now.

Aside from Marlon Moraes' title fight, the only other fighter of note is TUF alum Jamie Yaeger, forever remembered as the uber toughguy douche who quit on the stool in his house fight and was the worst.

Also a ref just failed to come to the ring to ref his fight so Big John had to do 2 in a row while Bas joked about trying to call him on his cell phone.

Wooooo

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    This happened recently and was awesome, kept forgetting to post it.

https://youtu.be/gQdCcRSwwi4

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    thats awesome
    natural instinct in that situation is to plant your palms flat on the mat and put your weight on them to balance yourself which is like the last thing you want to do if you don't want to be armbarred
    the spin isn't even all that necessary once you get them to straigten out their elbow for stability

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Yeah I'd never seen a helicopter armbar in MMA before, tricky to pull off in a gi in MMA it's pretty insane.

Cowboy I with the triangle on Cowboy II great sub. Would love to see more of Cerrone's BJJ I always love watching his guard he's constantly attacking.

On Sunday, February 21, 2016, Team Shamrock has officially filed a complaint with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) disputing the foul missed by the ref for Bellator 149 on February 19, 2016. The contest was stopped erroneously due to Ken Shamrock’s inability to fight back or protect himself after the illegal knee to the groin. The replay of the low blow was shown several times to the fans at the Toyota Center where the contest was held. Each time it was played, the fans gasped and booed relentlessly when they witnessed the groin being kneed.

Fans from around the world have been calling for an immediate rematch between Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie. There should be no delay scheduling this redo as the fans had expected to watch this historic bout. Instead, the fans who watched in record numbers were robbed from seeing what they were expecting to see. They expected to witness a rivalry 23 years in the making come to a close. However, the fans are left disenfranchised. The fans lost out on a missed call on an obvious illegal foul. Shamrock and Gracie fought in UFC 1 and 3, and most recently in Bellator 149, which was supposed to be the bout to finally settle things once and for all. That did NOT happen, but it should and soon.

Furthermore, the next bout, if it is to happen, should NOT be ‘Shamrock vs Gracie 4.’ Rather, it should be a redo of ‘Shamrock vs Gracie 3.’ The Shamrock vs Gracie 3 fight is expected to be rendered a no-contest by the TDLR, which in essence would nullify the previous fight. Therefore, the next fight should be considered a restart of the original trilogy. The missed call warrants a full redo, and a complete rematch is essential to help preserve the rich history that these two fighters have created.

A required rematch has seldom been as warranted as the recent Shamrock versus Gracie fight.

A fight of such magnitude must NOT end on a missed call. This legendary fight diserves to happen the correct way—for the fans.

Thank you for the support shown to Ken Shamrock. All the posts, comments, videos, and tweets are appreciated. Ken Shamrock reads the majority of them. Ken personally thanks you.

Starting immediately, we are now scheduling select interviews to talk about the: 1) trilogy fight, 2) the obvious missed foul, and 3) the call for a rematch. Other questions also welcome. Please go to https://www.kenshamrock.com to schedule an interview.

yesssssssss

edited February 2016
    Bellator got just about 2 million viewers, breaking all of their previous records and being the #2 show of the night

The Era of the Circus Fights has officially begun.

ed: Right on time, guess who snuck back into the gym
    Wanderlei Silva negotiating with Bellator and Rizin, eyes Fedor Emelianenko fight in the future

Sweeney Tom on
    I kinda wonder how many circus act fights they can put together before people are tired of it. I'd say the UFC will be above that kind of thing but with CM Punk and now BJ Penn coming back yeah they're doing it too.

its not like bellator has hired bobbu sappu yet

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    So it sounds like RDA is out of the McGregor fight with a broken foot.

*sad face*

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So it sounds like RDA is out of the McGregor fight with a broken foot.

*sad face*

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

edited February 2016
    And here's the part where I hope they just make it Cerrone vs. McGregor.

Or Nate Diaz. Both work for me.

ChillyWilly on
    hahahaha its like aldo all over again

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!