As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Patch 3.3 is live, Get to it!

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    "Retainers level thirty or above that have been assigned a class as a Disciple of War or Magic can now be assigned a job."

Oh really! So I could deck out my retainer in current Eso gear? Sweet.

• Options
    SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    No, don't you see?! This is the next step in the retainer conspiracy to usurp the players!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Snowglobe wrote: »
    No, don't you see?! This is the next step in the retainer conspiracy to usurp the players!

My retainers are almost qualified to run Thordan EX. They'd probably be better at it than half the player base.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Just got stuck with the worst group for Arboretum. BRD was new, and the WHM and BLM were just terrible. BRD and BLM die about 2/3rds of the way through Rose Garden, so me and the healer trudge through it. We wiped to the queen bee once. We couldn't finish the dungeon because we kept wiping to Belladonna.

Frond Fatale isn't hard to dodge. Especially when you know it's coming because I warned the group about it twice - once at the beginning, once after wipe 2. Sometimes RNG sucks, but generally you can get out of the floor AOEs. There's really not much else to look for, certainly nothing that should be very troubling. Yet we wiped 4-5 times.

I just don't get it. Especially when the BRD, at least, can do a lot on the move. And everything except Fatale has a relatively long visible telegraph.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    And if you have Belladonna as your focus target (which you should) you can see the Frond Fatale cast bar no matter what.

Minfillia speculation:
    What if she's dead, but her soul has become Hydaelyn's Voice?

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    RieRie Registered User regular
    @AngelHedgie
    Ooooooh my goodness!
    You asked me today if I have been checking the forum lately.
    I just got caught up
    Congratulations x 1000!
    I am happy for the two of you!

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    And if you have Belladonna as your focus target (which you should) you can see the Frond Fatale cast bar no matter what.

Minfillia speculation:

no no
    shes been tempered by hydaelyn because she discovered Her horrible truth i.e. being a lavos esque space parasite that feeds off the death and destruction caused by umbral/astral cycles

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Minfillia speculation:

no no
    shes been tempered by hydaelyn because she discovered Her horrible truth i.e. being a lavos esque space parasite that feeds off the death and destruction caused by umbral/astral cycles
    and the only way to stop the cycle is to team up with Marche, destroy the mother crystal, and go back to school.

• Options
    So, MCH is pretty fun. There's something very satisfying about 'click' *BOOM* 'click' *BOOM*, and as a nerd I love the motif.

What cross-class skills should I be looking to get? I already have Raging Strikes, or whatever the damage buff ARCs get.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Can it be Tuesday yet? I wanna be a Mentor and stuff.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    So, MCH is pretty fun. There's something very satisfying about 'click' *BOOM* 'click' *BOOM*, and as a nerd I love the motif.

What cross-class skills should I be looking to get? I already have Raging Strikes, or whatever the damage buff ARCs get.

Blood for Blood from LNC is a nice damage boost

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Standard cross-class for LNC/ARC crosses...
    Raging Strikes
    Blood for Blood
    Invigorate
    Hawk's Eye
    Quelling Strikes or Feint

Feint is used as a pseudo-Scathe so you can be doing damage while moving without toggling off Gauss Barrel. However with the current MCH meta which involves Gauss dancing, MCHs have really high mobility so Feint is even less likely to be used as it was already really situational on a BRD. But it's still a DPS increase in those cases where you do get the chance to use it.
    Quelling Strikes is a little iffy since you don't get the full benefit out of it since you have to pop so many buffs as part of the opener and the opener has such a long delay before the damage nuke ticks. If you have a tank that's struggling to hold aggro against your phat opener, it's an option...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Just got stuck with the worst group for Arboretum. BRD was new, and the WHM and BLM were just terrible. BRD and BLM die about 2/3rds of the way through Rose Garden, so me and the healer trudge through it. We wiped to the queen bee once. We couldn't finish the dungeon because we kept wiping to Belladonna.

Frond Fatale isn't hard to dodge. Especially when you know it's coming because I warned the group about it twice - once at the beginning, once after wipe 2. Sometimes RNG sucks, but generally you can get out of the floor AOEs. There's really not much else to look for, certainly nothing that should be very troubling. Yet we wiped 4-5 times.

I just don't get it. Especially when the BRD, at least, can do a lot on the move. And everything except Fatale has a relatively long visible telegraph.

It just depends. A lot do not look for her telegraph when they are running around and she isn't targetted. Frond has a very active telegraph in that she rises up on her legs (they almost go perfectly straight) and her head has a glow for about 2-3 seconds before disappearing and then frond is cast like a second after that. There are times when I know I don't have her targetted that I'll start watching for it (plus it only really starts cropping up when the bulbs get cast out with their small aoes). So yeah, it isn't hard to dodge but we have quite a few player base that either don't care (healer keeps me up, the explosion to remove seduce won't hurt me, etc) or they don't know when frond will come up and thus aren't looking for it and get hit, or are still new and don't understand mechanics.

At least that's what I have seen running thru there. I've had dps tell me its fine if they get seduced as I'll (healer) will keep them up and I just shake my head since I don't understand why you'd give up 5-10 seconds of no direct dps.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    As a tank, I actually hardly ever look at bosses themselves. I'm usually looking at:

My positioning vs. the group's vs. the arena
    My cooldowns
    The aggro list
    Any ground marked AOEs
    The enemy casting bar for things like Frond Fatale

The actual boss is basically in the corner of my vision as I focus on other things to manage the battle. Kind of like how in fighting games, like Street Fighter, you don't really look at your character, but your opponent and the space between.

But, yeah, Belladonna has a pretty obvious pattern. FF won't be cast until she poops out her buddies. Often, she'll do it while everyone is running away from each other to spread out the AOEs anchored on them in order to reduce damage from overlaps, so when you try to re-engage the boss, it hits and you get seduced. It's a little tricky from a human psychology standpoint in that regard (getting punished for rushing back to damage the boss can be a bit of a mental hiccup), but it's certainly not something a group should fall prey to in 5-6 discrete encounters.

I really think it was just a matter of getting saddled with really casual players who have been carried for a lot of their progression, because I've cleared Arboretum several times (I only got to it about 10 days ago) without any trouble until my last attempt. Thankfully, I was able to roulette Pharos Sirius hard with a solid group to get the last of my weekly eso later that night.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Played...a lot this weekend. Got my main up to level 47 though! Real excited to see if I can make the push to 50 tomo--oh. Oh what's that? Maintenance tomorrow night?

That's...that's fine.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Figured out that you can set the R1 crossbar toggle to cycle through specified bars, which can actually be different sets of bars depending on whether or not you have a weapon drawn (Character Settings -> Hotbar -> Cross on the PS4). So, I made it so R1 cycles between bars 1 and 2 in combat, and the L2->R2/R2->L2 button combos access bar 3. The end result is 48 buttons available to me in combat with a minimum of fuss.

Out of combat, R1 cycles through my travel bar (sprint, teleport, return, various mounts) and my target marking/waypoint bar.

I also made a couple of macros for ACN pet summoning that puts that specific pet's abilities on bar 3.

I feel like a friggin' wizard-ninja.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »

It just depends. A lot do not look for her telegraph when they are running around and she isn't targetted. Frond has a very active telegraph in that she rises up on her legs (they almost go perfectly straight) and her head has a glow for about 2-3 seconds before disappearing and then frond is cast like a second after that. There are times when I know I don't have her targetted that I'll start watching for it (plus it only really starts cropping up when the bulbs get cast out with their small aoes). So yeah, it isn't hard to dodge but we have quite a few player base that either don't care (healer keeps me up, the explosion to remove seduce won't hurt me, etc) or they don't know when frond will come up and thus aren't looking for it and get hit, or are still new and don't understand mechanics.

At least that's what I have seen running thru there. I've had dps tell me its fine if they get seduced as I'll (healer) will keep them up and I just shake my head since I don't understand why you'd give up 5-10 seconds of no direct dps.

Focus target should be standard practice. Even as a tank.
    Focus target the boss, see every single cast they do regardless of what you're targeting. Better yet, put the focus target window in a spot that's within your sight all the time. For me, I have it located in my peripheral vision around the centre of the screen so as soon as I see a cast bar appear, I know something is happening and no matter what major element I'm looking at, it's in the corner of my vision.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Man. Does Alphinaud ever get happy and hopeful without disaster immediately following?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Man. Does Alphinaud ever get happy and hopeful without disaster immediately following?

Nope. Reality does like to slam the door in his face.
    To be fair, he gets a lot better in Heavensward, in large part because he actually starts being an active participant.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Relic weapons are always a step behind the cutting edge PvE stuff
    They're the catch up mechanic.

Don't they take a lot longer than anything else to get in this game?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Yeah, but they don't require large chunks of uninterrupted time, just lots of little steps over a long while.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

They can take a long time if you do them casually, but if you dive full into them you can typically knock it out in a week or two depending on what is involved.

They are a catch-up mechanic in that if you don't want to/can't do the harder content in the game you can still get access to an equivalently powerful weapon eventually. However since it is a powerful weapon it still requires a lot of effort, just in the form of time investment this time instead of defeating difficult content.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    They also look better than raid stuff imho.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I do dislike how other than the first part, every subsequent relic step has been an annoying grind. Even though it took a long time due to PUGs being PUGs, getting my initial relic from killing Hydra, Chimera, and the 3 HM primals felt like an accomplishment. None of the other steps have been as interesting.

I actually did kind of like the book steps, since you could see exactly your progress and what you needed to do, and there was a bit of variety in each thing. I know a lot of people hated them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2016
    I just don't like that every individual step has been an unfun mind numbing slog.

I mean, I agree about the initial relic. "Get me the instructions and then the ingredients to make this thing on my forge."

Once that is done, everything after just feels like "Go thump your head against a brick wall for a few weeks and then come back."

I mean seriously. Some combination of up to 200 full Alex runs, or 27k law and 27k poetics (over 220 level 50 roulettes), or 1040 beast tribe items?

And all this just to go from step 2 to step 3 in the quest chain.

Knocking it out in a week or two? I am NOT going to run a 50 roulette or a complete Alex 1-4 run 14 times a day for 14 days.

This is bullshit that is not worth my time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah. I'm personally losing interest in the quest and regretting that I began it. Sort of came to that realization all at once when I looked back at the time it took me to take my reputation with Kobolds to level 3, and then looked ahead at the time it would take to get a single Ore.

And if it's never going to be best in show anyway, then holy fuck what is the point?

Enlong on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2016
    I got my original relic to ilvl 100 and all the jobs other than white mage to ilvl 90; and started on the 10 books for White Mage by the time the expansion rolled out, and then immediately threw them all on a retainer and crafted ilvl 115 nq weapon.

Dusk Vigil gives ilvl 120 green drops. The relic weapons may be a catch-up mechanic, but it rates a poor second place to doing the content later.

I would still like the Z title, but not enough to really do anything about it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    I got my original relic to ilvl 100 and all the jobs other than white mage to ilvl 90; and started on the 10 books for White Mage by the time the expansion rolled out, and then immediately threw them all on a retainer and crafted ilvl 115 nq weapon.

Dusk Vigil gives ilvl 120 green drops. The relic weapons may be a catch-up mechanic, but it rates a poor second place to doing the content later.

I would still like the Z title, but not enough to really do anything about it.

There's a new quest being introduced that will only be available to players who have completed a Zeta relic.

• Options
    And more power to them. I hope they enjoy their quests. Quest.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm personally losing interest in the quest and regretting that I began it. Sort of came to that realization all at once when I looked back at the time it took me to take my reputation with Kobolds to level 3, and then looked ahead at the time it would take to get a single Ore.

And if it's never going to be best in show anyway, then holy fuck what is the point?
    It's not that it's never best in show. Just that it comes along a bit later than the raid weapons.
    I feel like the timing might have been in a little closer in 2.x than in this raid cycle (though I did take a bit of a break in 2.x). A Zeta weapon was as good or better than what you could get from Bahamut. And considering if you were raiding and killing the final boss of that raid tier, you had only one chance at a weapon you could use dropping per week, there were a lot of people, even hardcore raiders who upgraded their relics when the next steps came out.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Having done the grind, it's pretty shit. The only interesting thing about the Relic is the story quest behind it and the looks. It's a bit more personal than raid weapons because of the story going along with the Anima Relics, but that's not saying much.

They had a pretty neat idea with the initial 2.0 Relic and it would have been a bit more engaging if they could create solo duties to break up the monotony of the grind.

The only fun part of Step 3 has been the Coil and EX primal clears and forgetting to taunt the boss off of Sion in Turn 11 and 12.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    And considering if you were raiding and killing the final boss of that raid tier, you had only one chance at a weapon you could use dropping per week, there were a lot of people, even hardcore raiders who upgraded their relics when the next steps came out.

I think my plan of just leveling the relic to what steps can be done in a few days tops and then upgrading everything else is a fine one.

If it isn't fun to do it isn't worth doing is a mantra that is looming ever larger in my brain as time marches on.

Wouldn't everyone just love it if the dev team put as much effort into the relic weapons as they do the Mandervilles quests?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The other part of the issue (and this is something that the dev team has absolutely dropped the ball on) is that the relic was a victim of the Gordias Savage miscalibration. If I'm not mistaken, they said they made step three tougher than they would have, because they set the Gordian weapons to 210, and they refused to give on the "top weapons come from endgame" rule.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    For a lot of people the Relic is not worth the effort, and that's fine, it's just one option to get a good weapon each tier. It has the lowest barrier to entry and the lowest skill requirement, so it takes a very long time to compensate.

For a lot of people the weapons from Raiding, or from Extreme Primals will be a better option.

For others those three options may not be worth the time, skill, or party makeups required and they may just wait for those weapons to be more accessible in the future, or just be content with the slightly less powerful tome weaponry.

Not every solution has to work for every player, but having options is good to cover the varying tastes and still remain balanced against the overall increase of power weighted against the effort expended.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    And now, the waiting game begins...

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    They also look better than raid stuff imho.

Only sometimes.

(Looking at you, Hvergelmir)

488W936.png
  • Options
    Nothing looks better than titan weapons.

Nothing.

wait, no, everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I am almost done with my Anima but I've also been taking it slower then I strictly could, in part because of work considerations and in part because I was on vacation during part of the time when it first came out.

I only need a few more bones and seeds and I will have my PLD anima.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Nothing looks better than titan weapons.

Nothing.

wait, no, everything.

Some of them look good, like my Culverin gun.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    And considering if you were raiding and killing the final boss of that raid tier, you had only one chance at a weapon you could use dropping per week, there were a lot of people, even hardcore raiders who upgraded their relics when the next steps came out.

I think my plan of just leveling the relic to what steps can be done in a few days tops and then upgrading everything else is a fine one.

If it isn't fun to do it isn't worth doing is a mantra that is looming ever larger in my brain as time marches on.

Wouldn't everyone just love it if the dev team put as much effort into the relic weapons as they do the Mandervilles quests?

Oh, yeah, I'm not like, ragging on you for deciding it's not with the effort. I raid, was able to skip the first part of the Anima quest because of my Zeta, and I still didn't even bother to do the "easy" dungeon part to upgrade the relic to i200 even though it would be technically better than I bow I currently have due to secondary stats, because the whole rest of the grind was so depressing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.