As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp] [Creating] A Fellowship!

2»

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How's this look? I'm thinking guy who feels his mortality creeping up on him and wants to get out and make a name for himself while there's still time

Looks: Short Hair, Peasant's Clothes, Jolly Eyes, Pudgy Body
    Agenda: Adventure Time
    Blood +0, Courage +2, Grace -1, Sense +2, Wisdom +1
    Squire's Purpose: Remembered By History
    Squire's Gear: simple food (4 uses, Food), traveler's gear (2 Uses, Useful), a simple sword (Melee). A Heavy crossbow (Ranged, Piercing, Reload) Some Extra food (4 uses, Food) The Overlord's Weakness
    Initial Bonds: TBD
    Custom: I've got a bad feeling about this, Run For it!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    That's a good character. I see you took the irresistible choice of knowing the Overlords weakness from the start.

Just as a stern reminder - your character knows this but doesn't know this. It's the duty of the wielder to keep this quiet until their character logically has an 'oh shiiit, now that makes sense' kind of moment.

Now we just need to see what @Deo and @JusticeforPluto come up with, then i'll come up with a suitable overlord.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm debating between the Dwarf and Orc.

If I made an Orc, do they have be a brutish, ugly race?

I figured you'd just keep it a secret from me until an appropriate time

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I guess I could do that, if you'd rather it be a surprise even to yourself. I'd just need to come up with a reason as to why the revelation would be specific to you though. Whichever way you prefer.
    I'm debating between the Dwarf and Orc.

If I made an Orc, do they have be a brutish, ugly race?

Not necessarily, the descriptions in 'What is an Orc?' leaves a lot of potential room for character/race design.

Here are some concept examples of what an 'Orc' could be based on those types:
    c30a735e62a55724ddf2096298601186_original.png?v=1441149483&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=379c61d4567d6700c2ec34e2ada4b027

I like the idea of having a gunpowder weapon.

Dwarfs have one, and the Orcs have a "junk canon"?

But that doesn't sound quite right?

What's wrong with the Junk Cannon? You can shoot pretty much anything out of it.

Okay, I'm close to making my dwarf.

Not quite a conventional dwarf, but it's mine!

Bright Eyes, Soldier's Bun, Stone colored skin, Soldier's Armor (had to make up some since most of ones provided are for men)
    Agenda: Solider of the Empire (The Dwarven Craft)
    Terror of a Continent (Firebeard)
    -An Officers Sword
    -Gunpowder!
    -Craftsman's Tools
    Companion: Wine (Dwarven Stout)
    -A Slingshot (Family Heirloom)
    Custom: Keen Senses (All that Glitters) and Camouflage (Half-Dwarf to take from Elf set)

Argus the Scholar, from "A Breif History of the Dwarfs"
    The Origin of Dwarfs is a mystery, even to them selves. It is known that long ago they adapted to living underground, learning how to cultivate plants, raise beasts, and build great towns under the mountains themselves. Lift deep down there changed them. They possess metallic and stone colored skin, hair that is either dark as the depths they live in or as white as the snow upon their mountains. They can see in the dark and do not need sunlight as humans do. Oral Tradition states that they fled underground to escape a great calamity, living down there alone for generations. While there is evidence of many great magical, natural, and mortal made disasters destroying whole civilizations, it is unknown which of these, if any, caused them to flee.

What is known is that eventually they emerged from their deep homes to colonize the surface. Here, they thrived and their numbers multiplied. But, after a while they found the resources of their homeland above and below the surface stretched to the limits. Thusly, they turned to the sea and began to establish colonies abroad.

Marcus Themus, "The Empire of Stone"
    Upon arriving on the shores of what was to them, a new world, the Dwarves quickly and brutally forced the native inhabitants to flee in a wave of terror and conquest unlike anything ever seen. However, and the invaders began to settle down, they turned soft. Before long, another wave of seaborne invaders arrived and began to raid Dwarven cities. Unfortunately for the all peace loving people of this world, the Dwarves used their knowledge of masonry to construct keep high in the mountains. In these unassailable strongholds they hide themselves and their good as the raiders came and would become the back bone of the vile Empire we know today. With the passage of time, many Dwarves, due to their natural blood lust and violent nature grew restless. The various clans elected a single ruler over them all, and with their combined arms they were able to push back the Sea People and reclaim their new home.

Journal, Anonymous Sailor
    Captain says we need to be ready for anything, any time. Don't know why. Acts like the Sea People will reemerge from the depths. The only enemies we are the League, and they haven't fielded a proper navy in almost a generation. Only action we see in pirates, and only the dumb ones try to challenge us.

I almost feel bad for the Captain. It's like she was meant for a different era, when sails and steel upon the high seas decided the fate of nations.

Me? I'm just happy with quite posting. Cousin's in the Army, and from what I here it constant skirmishes with the League and chasing guerrilla's. I pray to the Gods that this phony peace of ours will last, for all out war between the Empire and League will doom thousands.....

Xavier, "The Wine Lover's Companion"
    Among the mountains the Dwarves have build countless terraces dedicated to growing food in a place where no raider could reach. While in the old days it was only grain, fruit and vegetables grown here, today grape production has taken center stage. Used to make a large variety of exquisite wines, a trip to the capital of the Empire is must for any wine lover to sample some of the most unique and flavorful wines found anywhere. The world class shopping, cuisine, art, theater, and the pleasant and well educated people make a vacation here an easy sell to any friends or family.

Just don't mention the League to a Dwarf....

From the Notes of a Student at the University of Larmark
    Why are they even called Dwarfs? Last I checked they stood as tall as any man!

Looking good guys. @Deo , do you have anything?

• The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Any chance you've got room for one more?

Any chance you've got room for one more?

Sure! When I get home from work I'll send you a rule book

The Fellowship so far:

(?) The Heir - @Deo

Bel-Shahaz al Ran, The Giant - @Auralynx

(?) The Squire - @DaMoonRulz

(?) The Dwarf - @JusticeforPluto

The Everyman will be joining us as well so I'll give him a little time to come up with something. We are also still waiting to hear more from Deo.

I'll probably come up with an Overlord soon as I have a decent idea of how the party might work going forward now. If anyone needs to establish anything else about their character for the interest of the rest of the group before we get started creating bonds, now is the time.

edited February 2016
    The Halfling

Name: B. Bartleby Bix, Esq.: owner, operator, and proprietor of B. Bartleby Bix's World Famous Travelling Carnival Restaurante Adventure Company - Top of the Line Heroics for Budget Prices!

Look: Twinkling Eyes, Clean Cut, Sunday Best, Wiry Body

Agenda: Get Some Recognition

Stats
    Blood +0
    Courage +2
    Grace +1
    Sense -1
    Wisdom +2

Moves
    The Little Folk
    Sting Like A Bee
    A Friendly Face
    Talk Nonsense

What is a Halfling?
    Travelling Nomads

Gear
    Trusty truncheon (Melee)
    Halfling packed lunch (2 Uses, Food, feeds 3/use)
    Slingshot (Ranged) with a Pouch of bullets (2 Ammo)
    Burglar's Gear (2 Uses, Useful)
    A travelling carriage with fully stocked kitchen (3 Uses, Food)
    A couple friends (Brave, Chef)
    Halfling pipeleaf (2 Uses, Slow, Drunk: Blood)
    A bottle of elven wine (2 Uses, Healing, Drunk: Blood & Courage)
    A purse full of foreign coins (2 Uses, Precious)
    An adventuring contract (1 Use)

The Everyman on
    Two nobodies with zero experience.

A drunk and his princess sister.

Hmmm, at least we have a giant.

PS, any one want to work on their bonds with me?

The Fellowship of the Mystery Men

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited February 2016
    Looking good. I'll create an overlord today, establish a bond with each of you, then you can bond with each other

I have to admit I strongly approve of the halfling kitchen wagon. Stereotypes are real.

The Brayster on
    Overlord: Arendhel The Corruptor
    dominion_spirit_knight_by_merkwurdigliebe13-d5oenal.jpg

Appearance:

Cold Eyes

Imposing Armor

Menacing Aura

Deep Laughter

Plan: Ultimate Power

[Unknown Information]

Threats to the World: The Overlord and his tools make him a threat to the World. Each threat will need to be removed/broken before the Fellowship can hope to defeat him.

Untouchable - Arendhel cannot be approached safely. His corrupting magic alone is a dangerous force, which also propels his own combat skills beyond the ordinary. Some say his mortal body is confined to the spirit realm and so cannot be harmed in the mortal realm. Anyone within arms reach is in Despair.

The Scourge - Arendhel and his armies spread corruption and blight wherever they go. Those who are tainted by it, through indoctrination or re-animation, are committed to his armies. The bulk of the army is made up of undead and possessed.

General: Ursula the Unbroken
    tumblr_mjn6d7CFzQ1rty7tao1_500.jpg

Origin: [Unknown Information]

Appearance: Heavy Armour, Ghostly Eyes, Shrill Voice

General Type: The Captain

The Captain leads a well-trained squad, keeping them in line and making certain they aren’t led astray. A crew led by a Captain is far more clever and dangerous than your typical gang of baddies.

Devoted Underlings: Anyone trying to damage the Captain deals damage to one of the Captain’s allies instead. Anyone trying to Keep The Captain Busy keeps one of their allies busy instead. The Captain is only vulnerable while alone.

Leadership: The Captain’s allies cannot be distracted, confused, or separated while the Captain is with them. Elite Troopers under their command can deal damage to members of the fellowship.

Weakness: [Unknown Information]

Weapons:

A long halberd, crescent blade with ghostly qualities (Melee)

Dangerous blasts of lightning (Ranged, Magic)

Defenses:

A Trick up your sleeve

A Traitor

Secret Motivation: [Unknown Infomartion]

edited February 2016
    Members of the fellowship, please choose one bond each to share with the Overlord. Take one of these bonds and put your name in it.

I destroyed _______ 's hometown.

I have caused great harm to _______ 's people.

I killed someone important to _______ .

_______ killed someone important to me.

_______ 's people serve me now.

I have fought _______ before, and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.

_______ was once my friend.

_______ secretly admires me and the things I do.

The Brayster on
    I think I'll go with "was once my friend". Gives a plausible reason for knowing his weakness (it's tickling him behind the knee)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I think I'll go with "was once my friend". Gives a plausible reason for knowing his weakness (it's tickling him behind the knee)

While that would be quite funny, it's not what I had in mind. I'll PM you the weakness when it makes a bit more sense, I can't really word it correctly until I know everyones bonds with me.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'll take "Secretly admires me."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

You're so vain, you probably think this Overlord's about you

3basnids3lf9.jpg

What is not to admire about a Babylonian giant from another dimension exactly?

But wait... Doesn't "_______ secretly admires me and the things I do." mean that the Giant secretly admires the Overlord?

Anyway, I'll go for:

"I destroyed B. Bartleby Bix's hometown."

Makes sense that we survivors wandered off and became nomads that way.

But wait... Doesn't "_______ secretly admires me and the things I do." mean that the Giant secretly admires the Overlord?

Huh yeah. I forgot which perspective I was reading that from. Whoopsies!

I totally forgot about a step. When each of you have the time, I need you each to establish your peoples lore.

I just need a paragraph or two from each of you detailing what your people are generally like, how they respond to the outside world etc. Questions to consider:

How is their society organized?

Where do they live?

How do they live?

What is important to your people?

What do they value?

What do they love?

What do they hate?

What do your people think about the other players' peoples?

Are you particularly populous?

Kingdom, Dictatorship, Republic?

Insular or multi-cultured?

This kind of lore will be developed as play goes on, but it's good to have a starting block so that the other players know how to behave towards you and your people.

@JusticeforPluto I still need a bond between you and the Overlord. Also @Deo I need to hear from you or we will proceed as though you aren't playing.

Forgot to add that you guys can go ahead and create bonds with each other now.

Each of you is able to create a differing number of bonds so keep that in mind, check your playbook for details.

To get the ball rolling

@Auralynx if youre still going with the whole "magical protector of the world thing" for giants, I was thinking:

The Giants are the ones who saved the Dwarfs from the Great Cataclysm long ago, and thus are respected in Dwarf Society.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    To get the ball rolling

Auralynx if youre still going with the whole "magical protector of the world thing" for giants, I was thinking:

The Giants are the ones who saved the Dwarfs from the Great Cataclysm long ago, and thus are respected in Dwarf Society.

The Giant agenda is generally a pretty benevolent one, so that probably makes sense.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited February 2016
    Why specifically the Dwarves? Did the Cataclysm effect them specifically, or were they the front line against it?
    I'm gonna just routinely ask questions for the purposes of establishing prior lore. Feel free to go nuts as far as your own civilisation is concerned. I'll ask targeted questions of people if I feel it will help

The Brayster on
    Why specifically the Dwarves? Did the Cataclysm effect them specifically, or were they the front line against it?
    I'm gonna just routinely ask questions for the purposes of establishing prior lore. Feel free to go nuts as far as your own civilisation is concerned. I'll ask targeted questions of people if I feel it will help

I'm going to go with the true reason is lost with the passage of time to the Dwarves. Inconclusive evidence points to a number of reasons. There were several powerful civilizations that fell around the same time, but no solid links between them all. Some evidence suggests what ever hit the Dwarves was unique, but not enough exists to prove the Dwarves were targeted. Back then, the Dwarves we're considered a powerhouse like they are today, so its unlikely anyone targeted them.

Given what happened, it's likely magic was involved. Perhaps it was natural, but most scholars blame magic. It is unknown if the beings of this world even caused it, and if they did the reasons are long lost.

Maybe the Giants know, that's Auralynx's call.
    This is like the late Bronze age collapse. Mass weather changes, collapse of powerful nations, strange and unusual weather and natural disasters.

It was, however, long ago. Most people wouldn't know about it, save for legends and myths.

@auralynx is there a race of giants or are you the lone anomaly of nature?

There are other giants present in this world, but most of them are other-worldly transients or hermits with their own weird interests. One notable one lives deep in the mountains and is attempting to design and build a flying machine based on his studies of arcane propulsion methods. Another, also a part-time resident of the Garden of the Mighty, hosts a decennial cooking competition to which only the best chefs are invited, and is himself regarded as one of the world's premier cooks.

Somewhere out there is the giant homeland and it's rumored to be a place of enormous wonder and majesty, but also enormous stress and hectic activity keeping everything running correctly. Exactly how the giants became more-or-less immortal and figured out how to wander the worlds isn't common knowledge even among giants, but those two things have left them largely free to pursue their own interests wherever they wander. At bottom, giants are dedicated individualists, even to the point of sometimes being ignorant of what would be basic knowledge for others, because they've never bothered to pick it up. They're far enough out-of-scale and out-of-phase with everyone else that they usually get away with it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png