Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Covers in Music - Sometimes things sound better in someone else's hands!

1234568»

• AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    i am basically the exact opposite of straight edge, but davey havok (yes, of AFI) doing Straight Edge Revenge by Project X with Ceremony is one of the best things ever and one of the many reasons I still kinda like the dude:

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Apologies if this was already posted but Van Canto covering Metallica's Battery,

Love me some Van Canto, both their originals and covers:

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    It is time to tell why this will always be the best cover of Easy

• TavTav Registered User regular

Here's three Irish lads covering I'll Be There For You

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I don't know how many times I've listened to this Tears For Fears cover of My Girls now.

PQdy61j.jpg
    Tav
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Ladies and gentlemen, Dread Zeppelin...

Thank you. Thank you very much.

kyrcl.png
    Linespider5
  • DritzDritz Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Matthew Good - Girl in the War (Josh Ritter cover)

That one holds a special place in my heart as it made me aware of Josh Ritter's existence.

Maniac Street Preachers - Suicide is Painless (Johnny Mandel cover, aka the Mash theme)

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    A good cover of She Drives Me Crazy

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    I don't think this has been posted, but someone remixed Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory with Gangnam Style. All 13 songs. All Gangnam Style.

工事中
    Mego ThorClown ShoesDark Raven XApothe0sisjungleroomx
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Remembered about this. Great Kinks cover by Cardiacs.

PQdy61j.jpg
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    The original is good too, but I really like Peter Gabriel's cover of Book of Love.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know that was a cover. It is good though

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i wanted to join the party. i'm not sure it's really better than the original though i love me some elvis costello

• Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I couldn't find any Hayseed Dixie here so...

Clown Shoes on
    SteevL
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I've always thought Hayseed Dixie would be better if they'd slow their tempo down a little. A lot of their covers are faster than the metal originals.

There ain't nothing wrong with the Gourds cover of Gin and Juice, though...

kyrcl.png
    3lwap0Clown Shoes
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    New Found Glory has a couple of albums devoted to covers of songs featured in films. This version of "Iris" from City of Angels (Goo Goo Dolls) is pretty good:

as is this version of "King of Wishful Thinking" from Pretty Woman (Go West):

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    I have an assignment for this thread.

Find a very, very good cover of Lenny Kravitz music. Preferably from before he got rid of his magic powers via haircut.

Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I don't think this has been posted, but someone remixed Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory with Gangnam Style. All 13 songs. All Gangnam Style.

Holy fuck this has changed my life.

American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Apothe0sis
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular

close?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    You're cheating!

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Just came across this Mos Def/Marvin Gaye mashup album that I'm really liking.

工事中
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Somehow, there's something about a clown singing Royals that is just utterly absurd.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    BlackDragon480
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ah, the sad clown is a favorite at work.

Here's Testament covering Queen

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    BlackDragon480
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    They had the Johnny Cash version of Run On at the start of a recent blacklist episode

That is all

Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    People in this old thread have probably seen videos by this band by now, but I'll post it anyway. Steve'n'Seagulls, a Finnish band that does bluegrassy covers of hard rock/metal songs:

I got to see them live in Chicago last year and it was fantastic.

edit: I always love the entrances their accordian player makes in these videos

SteevL on
    SorcePanda4You
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Sam Behymer covering The Cranberries' "Zombie"

Kiesza covers Naughty Boy's "La La La" in the Live Lounge

Lauryn Hill covering Nina Simone's "Feeling Good"

Daniela Andrade covers Death Cab For Cutie - "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"

Maiya Sykes covers Whitney Houston's - "I Believe In You and Me"

hopefully these aren't all hated :3

OK "I Believe In You and Me" and "Feeling Good" aren't originally by Whitney Houston and Nina Simone respectively, but those are the covers these covers are based on so...

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    So a few years ago I stumbled upon this recorded footage of Todd Kerns (former frontman of Canadian Band Age of Electric, and current bass player for Slash) and Brent Fitz (slash's drummer) doing an impromptu performance at a Hard Rock Cafe in Manchester. I suppose whether or not you could consider them great covers is up to individual opinion, but I do feel like Todd really does the vocals justice particularly with how well he hits the high notes.

This is their cover of Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin:

This one is their cover of Highway to Hell by AC/DC (song actually starts at 1:37 in the video:

Finally, this is a cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition by canadian band Wide Mouth Mason. It starts as one of their songs which they then segue into Superstition at around 1:59.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Sam Behymer covering The Cranberries' "Zombie"

This seems like it might be really good, but the recording is kinda shitty, and its a song with such huge range you really need A+ audio for it to work.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    this is a really lovely talking heads cover

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if this has already been posted, but I'll always prefer Devo's version of Satisfaction to the Rolling Stones'.

ISIS delenda est
    BillyIdle
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I hate Miley Cryus and everything she does, and I hate country, so why do I like this cover?

As usual, wikipedia has a de-mystifying simple answer to a seemingly tough question:

Harmonization usually sounds pleasant to the ear when there is a balance between the consonant and dissonant sounds. In simple words, that occurs when there is a balance between "tense" and "relaxed" moments.

I'm very fond of that cover as well.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

• ScisScis Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    There's a ton of stuff I could post but these are some of my favourites.

Original by Steely Dan

Original by Phil Ochs

Original by Alice Cooper

Scis on

• BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular

All the same song just I feel the last two are better then the original

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Scis wrote: »

Original by Phil Ochs

I have that album!

Xaquin
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul no thank you, I prefer my hat Registered User regular
    A ha! I couldn't find this thread earlier.

You might know of David Hasslehoff's infamous Jump In My Car song.

But you might not know that it is a cover of the Ted Mulry Gang original.

Both songs are pretty good, but I think that Hasslehoff's version is elevated by the wonderful visuals.

Jump In My Car has been covered by many Australian musicians as it's a bit of a classic. This one's a favourite of mine, although it isn't really a cover, it just samples it.

TISM- (There's Gonna Be) Sex Tonite

1234568»