As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    I'd like your business card tattoo'd on my face please.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I could probably continue to push this one for ever, but I'm going to call it done and get top work on other shit. Thanks for all the feedback on it.
    3kpdbdz1o5b2.jpg

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I love those street lamps.

On behalf of the Urban and Regional Planning association, keep up the good work!

• Options
    I've been doodling and studying horses for a thing I need to do. Here they are in the order I've done them, They go from not so horse to more horse:

wfipv929gxs2.png
    zodtsoa2nm3h.png
    bhcbkzm8k1qf.png
    i7d8u1qcb6ra.gif
    s8go6tzsvzl9.png

Bonus, not horse:
    9ngzrksxz1ui.png

I was going through an old thread of mine and I really used to post nearly everything I drew. I want to go back to flooding my thread with output, when I can.

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Please post as many horse studies as you're doing. I too am trying to learn how to draw horses, and to see how you break it down would probably be quite helpful!

• Options
    @acadia, I've been using this: https://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/creature-design-horses/ and then pictures of horses. There are some good tutorials in there, though. I have to fight against making them skinny, which horses are apparently fatsos, and I never noticed.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I do like the horses with attitude! And the round one is great lmao

The studies are looking good, I have trouble with horse legs and you seem to understand them well. Big fat weenie bodies is helpful!

• Options
    BIG FAT WEANIE BODIES

The truth about horses, revealed!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Poorly photographed doodles, these were all done while on a plane trying to avoid conversations with people around me:
    4w6uj4njeyhe.jpg

8o819ahe6vux.jpg

bt3kv5yd28kn.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    Those fox wolves would be amazing animated villains (and probably even more amazing heroes).

• Options
    Hah, thanks. I usually imagine my dags as a chaotic force, probably not really good or bad, just wild. I got my scanner hooked up so I edited the post with better shots. Also scanned these:

du9x8sbvnsjq.jpg
    2dzy4boo4cof.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I like that last one a lot. Are you planning on doing more with it? The flower looks a little squished on the right - it would look great if it broke the border a bit like some of the other elements.

• Options
    Not sure. I am considering doing a few of them, sketchwise, But I cant decide if they should be painted, or if I should vector them like the one I did for my business card. If I decide to paint them up I can modify the composition.

• Options
    charlesartistcharlesartist Artist and Game Developer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, those two up there are begging for color. Nice comps on both. I more drawn to the one on the bottom, but the top one is good too.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Doodles:
    uued7sg3zww4.jpg
    daarwt65z3jy.jpg

WIP on this one:
    6b79ymq56276.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    God, I love these shadow hounds. So much character and personality!

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Poorly photographed doodles, these were all done while on a plane trying to avoid conversations with people around me:
    4w6uj4njeyhe.jpg

8o819ahe6vux.jpg

bt3kv5yd28kn.jpg

Dammmmmmmmnnnn.....

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Thanks Brock.

zizu03hdueyr.jpg
    Might noodle more on this later, but I should be working on some other stuff.

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    Great colors, as always! I love how they seem to have distinct personalities. My favorite is the doofy one on the bottom.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Have you made any zines yet? Would love to see a dog zine.

• Options
    You know, I know zines are a thing, but I never thought of making one.

Is there anything useful to do with them other than sell them at cons? I mean, other than drawing a bunch of stuff, of course.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Take them to book stores, sell them online etc. Some, but not all, bookstores will gladly let you sell them through them. Talk to whoever's in charge and see if they'd like to make a deal. Also, they're amazing business cards, harder to throw away since they're such an object, easier to impress since it's several illustrations. Of course don't just give them out to anyone, but to people who matter (to you or in general).

m3nace on
  • Options
    Interesting. That is something I will look into, thanks for tip.

I have a few projects that are in the works that I cant post, but I think you'll dig them when I can M3nace.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    tumblr_nw79h577Ig1qdk5ajo1_1280.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Awesome! :D I love how they are a little squished and squashed. The foliage/leafery is very nice, I think it would be cool if they both had a unique leaf though. I dunno, I really like the left one's leaf.

Also, maybe you could brighten/add more purple light/rimlight at the bottom? I think it would balance the eye glowies nicely! Did you consider the glow coming from the mouths, maybe? I always love the flow and expression your stuff has, very cool!

F87 on
  • Options
    Glow coming out of the mouths was a little much, so I went with dark. If I ever touch this one up for print I will probably punch up the magenta a bit.

Thanks!

• Options
    A while back I asked @Prospicience if he cared if I did studies of his photos, I finally took him up on it. I was planning to do this nightly but some deadlines just snuck up on me. These are all limited to about an hour, but the last one went to 1.5 hours,
    01kehz5ot1ak.jpg
    zbcuwgxyqgi8.jpg
    2oace8lbjfv3.jpg

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Oh man Iruka, these turned out wonderful!

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    e04unofkgv1j.png

Grayscale I may use for the color assignments in the schoolism course. I was also in the caricature class and I'm still learning how to have fun and exaggerate features in a way that feels right to me. This doesn't quite hit the mark for me yet, but its good practice.

7c6o4vc4df37.png

this was a quick paintover of an old one, just had to up size it for print.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Is that the game grumps guy?

• Options
    its that guy, yeah

• Options
    Retouched some stuff for a small print expo here in Austin!
    fyle2gp23z8l.jpg
    7hwj4llthuon.png
    mnb05sh87ole.png

Also made a zine to sell out of my various dags:

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    those pokemans are gonna sell like hotcakes

• Options
    little sketchbook dump
    bpcnyynzh22p.jpg
    ukufz53o2mq9.jpg
    xxjogoux0vv0.jpg
    vc6ldxvipzgi.jpg
    wsk901keq479.png

• Options
    god dagg, total art crush mang

• Options
    Sketchbook dump
    ztq79otav0ow.png
    hb7z2au5iqbe.jpg
    gs1j7clx835b.jpg
    5wfrdtnh42nz.jpg
    plxqefnsf54y.jpg
    whdu95l0s4wv.jpg
    This is a WIP, but may also be the only painting from a full project that I'll be posting till its all done. Its going into a children's book I'm working on with my sister, there's a bunch more wip stuff in the schoolism thread. Its still got a ways to go, but it taught me a bunch about the process that I'll be using to make these. I'm actually going to pull back a bit and solidify the concepts of the girls dresses and whatnot before moving to final. the elves and santa tucked away in the above sketches are part of the project too.
    cyingti8osf0.png

• Options
    bdonohobdonoho ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh, so YOU'RE the person with the exquisite art who followed me on tumblr! Awesome! Your wolf designs are georgeous! Have you ever considered doing them in vector and putting them on t-shirts? I see some of your designs being a lot stronger if they had a sharper, cel-shaded style of painting, similar to T-wei or Tradd Moore, but perhaps I should learn more about your goals overall before giving you that kind of direction. Who are your primary influences?

bdonoho on
  • Options
    Huh, that's interesting. I've always been a painterly person, mostly out of preference for a less clean process. But experimenting in some sharper styles might be fun.

As for goals, I'm actually a weird one. I'm working on a children's book with my sis, and I want to go into comics a bit. I have a sustainable non-art day job that I like quite a bit, so I'm taking my time with the art.

My primary influencers are story tellers. I like things like Riceboy and people like Michael DeForge, weird stuff. I cant really say there's one person or genre that I'm looking to exclusively. It might make my stuff a little scattered at the moment. You can kinda see the scattershot of my interest in my pins: https://www.pinterest.com/handsonfire/

T-wei has really neat stuff, I don't think I have the inking ability to carry the coloring style, though. Tradd Moore also inks with a heavy competency that does not come naturally to me.

• Options