As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Top Gear

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
Did a quick search to see if there was still a thread (I remember one ages ago,) and couldn't see one. After tonight's absolutely brilliant episode, I had to make a thread about this, one of my most favourite of TV shows and undoubtedly the greatest car show in the world.

But Top Gear is more than a car show - it's entertainment and just plain out great fun regardless of if you're a car junkie or not.

The Presenters:
topgear460.jpg
Left to Right: Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

..of course, there can be no forgetting The Stig, the mysterious test-track driver.

To quote the ol' Wikipedia:
Top Gear is a BAFTA, Multi-NTA and Emmy Award-winning BBC television series about motor vehicles, mainly cars. The programme is estimated to have 350 million viewers worldwide and 8 million viewers each week in the UK on BBC Two. The show is presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May and The Stig, an anonymous test driver. It is one of the most pirated television shows in the world. Top Gear is also broadcast in Canada on BBC Canada, the United States on BBC America[4], in Australia on SBS, and in Hong Kong on ATV World.

All the essentialls can be found here, of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28current_format%29

Finally, some choice youtube uploads. The ones I'm linking are fully-legal and uploaded by BBC Worldwide, but much of Top Gear is avaliable on youtube, which in many ways is a good thing as there are no damn DVDs.

Destroying a Toyota:
Part 1 - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzRLG8dA-E
Part 2(a) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM
Part 2 (b) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYbLThZbrw

Nissan Jet Car: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XraeBDMm2PM
Full-Size Radio Controlled Cars: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVH5rrqkFY
The Atom Car: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

Tonight's show saw the team road trip across Africa with three second-hand cars, one of which was over 40 years old. The whole thing was amazing; the landscapes and places they visited were beautiful, and the performance they got out of the cars astonishing.

Also of note is their famous American Road Trip where they nearly got killed by rednecks, and their Polar special where they became the first people to ever drive to the North Pole in a car.

Recent news that will be interesting to most of us gamers is that Gran Turismo 5 will feature the Top Gear Test Track as well as fully downloadable episodes of the series. If these'll be free courtesy of the taxpayers money remains to be seen. News Link.

So.. for those of you who watch this show, discuss. For those of you who never have - god damn, look it up and find a place to watch it, even if you're not in the UK.

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Top Gear rocks.

It's just a bunch of blokes pissing about with cars. It's a good time for all. And there's such great chemistry between the presenters its fun just to watch them have a conversation.

Today's episode where they drove across the 'spine of Africa' was hilarious.
    I'm in love with little 'Oliver', bless him.

Peachstrudle on
  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh no! Top Gear is back? And I missed it? Quadruple :(.

Did they destroy any caravans?

Shazbot! on
  • PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not yet surprisingly. At least none I've seen. But they pretty much dismantled two cars in the process of driving across Africa.

Peachstrudle on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Absolutely love the show. The channel crossing was hilarious as well, though I've yet to see this trip to Africa.
    The show's more about entertainment than cars, really. That's what makes it worth watching to me, especially the ridiculous challenges. Clarkson driving that miniature 60's car was awesome.8-)

Rhan9 on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But Top Gear is more than a car show - it's entertainment and just plain out great fun regardless of if you're a car junkie or not.
    So true. I don't give a shit about cars and I love this show.
    Finally, some choice youtube uploads. The ones I'm linking are fully-legal and uploaded by BBC Worldwide, but much of Top Gear is avaliable on youtube, which in many ways is a good thing as there are no damn DVDs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-0110308-2892467?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=top+gear&Go.x=7&Go.y=4&Go=Go
    :?:
    Recent news that will be interesting to most of us gamers is that Gran Turismo 5 will feature the Top Gear Test Track
    Will there be a Reasonably Priced Car to drive around it?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love this show and I can only tell cars apart by looking at their names on the boot. (Trunk for americans.)

The BBC channel we get is busy showing OLD reruns where it's only a shadow of the awesome it is now. There's some big round guy in place of James May and they only just started with the reasonably priced car thing.

Falx on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Last nights episode was amazing.
    I want an Oliver!

BoredGamer on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another one here, I care not a jot about cars but love the show, the guys are brilliant as a team. The cross continent "races" although obviously staged are fantastic entertainment, a Bugati Veron vs a plane etc...

Also, props to Richard "the hamster" Hammond, I remember I was in Australia when he was in that crash (288mph?) and initialy they though he may not survive the week and may be a vegtable if he did...thank god he recovered so well.

Venkman90 on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Their attempts to break the Toyota Pickup truck a few years back is some of the best entertainment television I've ever seen.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I seem to recall:

Crashing it through a Shed
    Setting it on fire
    Driving it into the Sea
    Blowing up a building with it on the roof

And after each one a Mechanic with a can of WD40 got it running, they even drove it into the studio D:

Venkman90 on
  • TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    The BBC channel we get is busy showing OLD reruns where it's only a shadow of the awesome it is now. There's some big round guy in place of James May and they only just started with the reasonably priced car thing.

God that guy was annoying! He's only in the first series of the new-style Top Gear though, I think James came in to replace him starting with series 2. :)

TheFish on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TheFish wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »

God that guy was annoying! He's only in the first series of the new-style Top Gear though, I think James came in to replace him starting with series 2. :)

Didn't he run over to the rest of the ex top gear presenters on Fifth Gear?

BoredGamer on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love this show. The cinematography is gorgeous, the presenters hilarious and the content actually interesting. Usually I have no interest in cars, but I have learnt a lot watching the show.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Hah! Saw the africa episode. That Oliver was brilliant.
    Also, gotta love African Engineering, draining water by shooting a hole in the car.:lol:

Rhan9 on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Yeah, I seem to recall:

Crashing it through a Shed
    Setting it on fire
    Driving it into the Sea
    Blowing up a building with it on the roof

And after each one a Mechanic with a can of WD40 got it running, they even drove it into the studio D:

At that point the bodywork was holding the chassis together - which in itself is kind of impressive.

Gorak on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While the automotive "reviews" on Top Gear are mostly fluff, the show is really fun to watch as a whole.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is one of the biggest things I miss about not having a TV - no Top Gear on a Sunday night. :cry:

I really do think this is one of the top five British programmes at the moment.

BobCesca on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I'm curious; what else is there currently on British television worth watching, let alone capable of competing with Top Gear?

I would struggle to name five programmes worldwide worth watching, at present.

Mumblyfish on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a goddamn awesome show.

It almost makes me want to care about cars.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I'm curious; what else is there currently on British television worth watching, let alone capable of competing with Top Gear?

I would struggle to name five programmes worldwide worth watching, at present.

Doctor Who
    Jekyll
    Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe
    The Mighty Boosh (it's coming back, yay!)
    Peep Show
    The IT Crowd
    etc. etc.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Top Gear hasn't been good since the 'American Road Trip' episode. They went too far with that and it just stopped being funny...

Mr Bubbles on
    edited November 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Top Gear hasn't been good since the 'American Road Trip' episode. They went too far with that and it just stopped being funny...

Giving cars away to New Orleans survivors. Those bastards!

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Coldred wrote: »

Not to mention that no-one wanted that cadillac.

Rhan9 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love Top Gear, too bad I'm usually too busy to go watch it. WTB: time off to watch telly.

Aldo on
    edited November 2007
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Coldred wrote: »

Not to mention that no-one wanted that cadillac.

And that they (allegedly) tried to sue Clarkson over his car.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Really? You didn't laugh a little when Clarkson was driving around in the Peel? This whole season has been fantastic.

I want my own Oliver now.

(PS. If you're watching Top Gear, stick around and watch Long Way Down right afterwards.)

Fats on
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really want a Peel P50! That was one awesome little car!

I haven't laughed so hard since I saw their trip to the Arctic. What's funnier than seeing two middle aged men driving serenely along drinking G&Ts (no drink-driving laws!), whilst Hammond was slaving away with Huskies? Then May and Clarkson stopping for the night and having cheese, bread and a bottle and wine, sheer brilliance!

Anarchy Rules! on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I haven't laughed so hard since I saw their trip to the Arctic. What's funnier than seeing two middle aged men driving serenely along drinking G&Ts (no drink-driving laws!), whilst Hammond was slaving away with Huskies? Then May and Clarkson stopping for the night and having cheese, bread and a bottle and wine, sheer brilliance!
    that truck was fucking glorious

Azio on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-0110308-2892467?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=top+gear&Go.x=7&Go.y=4&Go=Go

Yeah, precisely - those DVDs are mostly 'best of' or the challenges bits cut away - I'd actually like boxsets of each entire series, but.. nay. The BBC says no.

Shame.

And yes, Long Way Down is awesome.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The episode where they raced to the north pole was one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. Incredible show.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
    edited November 2007
    Cojones wrote: »
    The episode where they raced to the north pole was one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. Incredible show.

Oh yes, Top Gear Polar Adventure. No need to squat down like an animal. G&T and bumper toilet seats!

Rhan9 on
    edited November 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »

Yeah, precisely - those DVDs are mostly 'best of' or the challenges bits cut away - I'd actually like boxsets of each entire series, but.. nay. The BBC says no.

Shame.

And yes, Long Way Down is awesome.

That bloody Ewan and Charlie... they did the same thing with South Africa that they did with America on the end of their last trip. Rocketed straigh through using the shortest route possible. The least they could have done was stop in my town and say hi to me. Maybe give me lots of expensive merchandise.
    That was sarcasm, I can't wait to see it.

Falx on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God, when are they coming to Australia? =(

Did anyone hear about the potential US series?
    In April 2007, the BBC reported on a Sun story that Top Gear had been in talks about creating an American version. The current presenters would remain as hosts, but the show would focus on American cars and include American celebrities.[11] The Sun reported in July, however, that plans for an American version had been shelved, partly over Clarkson's misgivings about spending several months in the U.S., away from his family.[12] Besides, Clarkson is not known for his love of American cars, or Americans themselves.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »

In April 2007, the BBC reported on a Sun story that Top Gear had been in talks about creating an American version. The current presenters would remain as hosts, but the show would focus on American cars and include American celebrities.[11] The Sun reported in July, however, that plans for an American version had been shelved, partly over Clarkson's misgivings about spending several months in the U.S., away from his family.[12] Besides, Clarkson is not known for his love of American cars, or Americans themselves.

Clarkson in the US....he would spend the whole show berrating the audience / guest about trivial anti US foreign policy crap.

That said his review of the Hummer was all kinds of funny

Venkman90 on
  • TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »

I didn't know it was going to be a full US version. I always thought they were just going to film some reviews of US cars and then splice them into the UK episodes in place of the cars you guys don't get.

TheFish on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Africa episode was fantastic... I can't believe the crap that was the Lancia. What are they doing in the next episode, and how are they going to top that?

oldmanken on
    edited November 2007
    I don't know about Clarkson debating foreign policy... my impression is that he's just plain intolerant of idiocy in general to an uncomfortable (yet somehow amusing) degree. He rags on britain as well is what I'm saying.

Falx on
  • ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    AFIAK, the US show has been nixed. The boys did not want to uproot their families to spend much of the year living over here.

ElQuack on
    edited November 2007
    US version of Top Gear would get ruined by the forced political correctness and Moral Police. We love Top Gear because it's crazy and funny. If it was politically correct, it'd be just stupid.

I suspect this is what happened with Mythbusters, when they tried to show that speeding cameras can be bypassed if you go fast enough is a myth. Top Gear showed that they just didn't drive fast enough.

Rhan9 on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I suspect this is what happened with Mythbusters, when they tried to show that speeding cameras can be bypassed if you go fast enough is a myth. Top Gear showed that they just didn't drive fast enough.

They actually countered this in a Myth revisit when they had their expert say that the US style speed camera works differently than the UK method; the UK one takes two pictures where as the US only takes one. Still could be a politically motivated smoke screen, but they did at least half address this.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
This discussion has been closed.