As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 10 is Eating My Hard Drive

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
Okay, long story short, I upgraded my Dell laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. So far, very few problems, nothing I haven't been able to fix. Except for one problem.

The free space on my hard drive keeps getting smaller and smaller. Something is eating up my hard drive space ever since the upgrade. I swear that after each boot up, I lose nearly a gig of space. I haven't been doing anything that intensive lately, mostly stuff on the internet. I use Chrome, not Edge, and I have cleared Chrome's temporary files and cache, but that was only around 300 MB. I do have some apps, like the Mail and Calendar app.

So, what's the deal here? My Google-fu is failing me miserably and I want my free hard drive space back.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I had this issue pop up a number of times with Windows 8, and each time it was something different. So if it helps, some things to check:

-Use the disc cleanup program and clean up system files. That was sometimes a few gigs that got eaten up

-I used to fiddle with some of the apps, like weather and news. Then one day I checked the size of the news app, and it was in the double digits. So that got thrown out right quick.

-The last one involved Intel's integrated video stuff. To keep it simple, suddenly I was having major issues with the virtual memory page file. I have Windows on a 100 gig SSD drive along with a 1 TB regular drive, and typically have 10-15 gigs free on the SSD. I'd be playing a game, and suddenly I'd get a warning of low memory, and the SSD would be down to 1 gig or less. Regardless of how much free space, the page file would eat the entire thing. I eventually traced the problem down to wonky drivers on Intel's front and installed a previous version, and it never happened again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Depending on how long ago you installed, that could be both new updates going through to catch you up to present or your old windows files needing to be purged, or any of the problems Wolfman said. My windows 10 install slowly grew for about a week after I installed it and then stopped as a years worth of updates slowly matriculated.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    It's not restore points or whatever they are called now?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    It's not restore points or whatever they are called now?

That was my first thought. If your restore points are not given a maximum space usage, they can balloon up. That should be automatic (up to a max of 9-10 GB usually), but it's worth checking.

I'd also try turning off fast boot. With SSDs especially, I've seen Win10 eat up that space for fast boot, but forget to free it up later.

Edit: the wife recommends checking file history, as well. If you were backing up to an external drive before, it's possible that the system decided to back up to the C: drive instead because reasons.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    Okay, to answer a few question:

I did the upgrade about 2-3 weeks ago. So I think I'm past the lengthy updates. That was actually the first thing I focus on when I upgrading was making sure the updates were installed right away.

I used disk cleanup as that was my first thought. There actually wasn't that much to clean out, which kind of surprised me.

Most of the apps seem okay. There are a couple that seem to taking up more space than I would expect and I'll want to look into, but that doesn't account for the loss of space I'm experiencing. Unless I'm looking at it wrong.

No idea about the drivers. I'll look closer at that as I didn't think about that.

Being an idiot, I don't have it doing auto backups, but the system restore is showing that it's taking up over 5 GB. That being said, system protection for the C: drive is set to 3% (17.44 GB). Recovery protection is off.

Fast startup was on. I just turned that off. We'll see if that helps.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Have you run Spacemonger or WinDirStat to get an idea of what folders are taking up the most space? Sometimes it's obvious when you have the visual representation to look at.