As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RSS Broken

2»

• RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2007
    Ghazgkull wrote: »
    we all also know the volume of email they get...

This is why us forum administrators pretty much silently ignore these sorts of reports when they come to the forum.

I do have contact info for the person who most likely would be responsible for fixing this, and I certainly could contact them and see if they are still unaware of it.

But it is a really high-profile bug and when you consider the enormous list of people who have probably brought it to various people's attention by now, adding my name to that list is not likely to do anything other than waste somebody's time.

Ramius on
  • jskangjskang Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ramius wrote: »

This is why us forum administrators pretty much silently ignore these sorts of reports when they come to the forum.

I do have contact info for the person who most likely would be responsible for fixing this, and I certainly could contact them and see if they are still unaware of it.

But it is a really high-profile bug and when you consider the enormous list of people who have probably brought it to various people's attention by now, adding my name to that list is not likely to do anything other than waste somebody's time.
    Well, in one sense, it's good to know what posting on this forum (and this particular set of threads) is for. It wasn't clear to me, one way or the other, whether site issues should be reported through here or not.

So, when you suggest that we "consider the enormous list of people who have probably brought it to various people's attention by now"... Maybe it's just me, but I had begun to wonder if anyone knew or cared that the feed was broken. It's not obvious from the outside that it's being looked into.

it would have been nice to see a brief, "hey we know the feed is broken and we're whipping the monkey/troll/gremlin into fixing it" post on the main site.

In any case, I've added the comics feed to my LJ friends list. So, I'll at least keep up that way while I wait for the proper RSS feed to be fixed or whatever.

This isn't directed at you, Ramius, per se. I do appreciate your clarification on everything here.

jskang on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jskang wrote: »

Well, in one sense, it's good to know what posting on this forum (and this particular set of threads) is for. It wasn't clear to me, one way or the other, whether site issues should be reported through here or not.

So, when you suggest that we "consider the enormous list of people who have probably brought it to various people's attention by now"... Maybe it's just me, but I had begun to wonder if anyone knew or cared that the feed was broken. It's not obvious from the outside that it's being looked into.

it would have been nice to see a brief, "hey we know the feed is broken and we're whipping the monkey/troll/gremlin into fixing it" post on the main site.

In any case, I've added the comics feed to my LJ friends list. So, I'll at least keep up that way while I wait for the proper RSS feed to be fixed or whatever.

This isn't directed at you, Ramius, per se. I do appreciate your clarification on everything here.

I think what Ramius is saying is that the problem is beyond his current mastery of Vbulletin, and that it's up to the developers (who have received a ton of complaints about it) to fix it.

MKR on
  • jskangjskang Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Coolness.

jskang on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    I think what Ramius is saying is that the problem is beyond his current mastery of Vbulletin, and that it's up to the developers (who have received a ton of complaints about it) to fix it.
    RSS feed doesn't have anything to do with Vbulletin. o_O

Aldo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    RSS feed doesn't have anything to do with Vbulletin. o_O

I thought someone said it was an RSS feed on the forums. Whoops.

MKR on
  • GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I understand that you're trying to be polite, but I've found that it's just not worth it to assume that people are aware of major problems.

What ends up happening all too often is that everyone makes the assumption you're making and the word never gets back to the people who can fix the problem. Better safe than sorry.

If the site maintainers were really hearing too many complaints about the problem, they would have taken simple steps to stop the complaints: either fixing the bug or at least announcing "we're working on the problem".

Ghazgkull on
    edited November 2007

I understand that you're trying to be polite, but I've found that it's just not worth it to assume that people are aware of major problems.

What ends up happening all too often is that everyone makes the assumption you're making and the word never gets back to the people who can fix the problem. Better safe than sorry.

If the site maintainers were really hearing too many complaints about the problem, they would have taken simple steps to stop the complaints: either fixing the bug or at least announcing "we're working on the problem".

Your mentality of "not assuming" makes sense in small systems, but the logic does not scale to enormous sizes, like the size of the Penny-Arcade ecosystem. It would be like saying that one cannot assume George Bush is aware of people's feelings on his job performance, and I'd better send off a mail to the White House telling him that he's not doing an admirable job.

Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but the analogy holds.

At Penny-Arcade scale, at a certain visibility level of a problem, one can be completely certain that the message about that problem has reached the appropriate people.

The fact that they choose not to notify you that they are working on a fix means nothing. Again it is a scale thing. They know their audience well enough to know that the percentage of the gajillion newspost readers who care to read about broken ampersands in RSS feeds is painfully small.

Ramius on
    edited November 2007
    I just mailed the appropriate people and asked nicely if they were aware of the problem.

They just mailed me back telling me (quite unsurprisingly) that they are aware of it.

OK to lock this thread now?

Ramius on
  • GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for checking for us, Ramius.

Ghazgkull on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007

Nothing is beyond his current mastery of Vbulletin. Nothing.

Tube on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nothing is beyond his current mastery of Vbulletin. Nothing.
    Ramius could write a code that would make it so that your grandparents never existed, and all of your posts would never have been made.

Thanatos on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I think I'm a "powers that be."

I'll fix it.

stupid rails rss rendering

UPDATE: This seems to be a PA <-> Feedburner thing. It works fine if you access the RSS feed directly, but not through feedburner sometimes. I'm going to call up the FB guys and track it down.

UPDATE 2: valid-rss.png

Älphämönkëy on
This discussion has been closed.