As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I thoroughly enjoyed the beta. While I don't think the game will be for everyone it is absolutely for me. Combat is very tight, exploration is amazing and not something I've seen in an MMO in a long time, the game looks beautiful as are the animations, every town is filled with little details that make each place feel alive, and I found myself really enjoying the music.

Still if they ever have a free weekend or you can get yourself a trial I strongly recommend that everyone gives it a try.

That all said while I don't expect the game to become the Next Big Thing (though I sure hope so) I do hope future MMO devs take a few notes from it. There is no longer any excuse for tab-targeting hotbar combat. Let that shit die.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I do hope they consider adding some more westernized things. From what I understand the game still lacks in terms of group PvE content in the end. However it isn't the focus of the game like most other MMOs are.

Now all they've gotta do is stop being flying geese with the cash shop. GW2 showed a very proven method of making money and while much of what's in BDO's is similar. The prices are out of whack. Then there's the issue of people basically saying all of the cool armor and weapon skins are mainly available through the cash shop. GW2 has this problem here or there, but overall there's a tonne of awesome looking gear.

Plus they're doing something really weird with the dye system. It's a fantasmic system that actually steps above GW2's, however the dyes are all single use and come from only random boxes. The problem here is this isn't consistent across all regions, I've heard in RU they have a system more like GW2's. So why not go with that? Overall people seem a bit agitated with DAUM's decisions, but we'll need to see whether they'll shift with the tide of legit complaints or remain stiff and stubborn and break because of it.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • WiddershinzWiddershinz Registered User regular
    I want to love it, I really really do. I want a game with some decent exploration in it.

But the texture pop...

But the outfits barely changing...

But the too easy or impossible to kill enemies...

Arrrrgggggghg

Steam ID widdershinsaus
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I bought the $30 preorder. Is there a server the PA folks are going to congregate towards?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm very hesitant about this game after Blade and Soul burned me, but damn if you guys are making it sound uber appealing. Aside from Widders' comments, which sound like a bummer. But the rest sounds sexy!

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I haven't noticed any texture pop, but then I am running a brand new gaming PC with a 16GB, 6700K, and GTX970.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I don't think they released the server names yet, but they did confirm there would be two servers like in cbt2. So I'm expecting our conq bros to let us know what server they pick when they start. :D

Also there will certainly be some guest passes flying about at some point soon so people on the fence should be on the look out for those. Good chance to check it out.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm very hesitant about this game after Blade and Soul burned me, but damn if you guys are making it sound uber appealing. Aside from Widders' comments, which sound like a bummer. But the rest sounds sexy!

If blade and soul burned you, I can't see what aspect of this game would change anything.

Unless you just value open world above everything else?

MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any texture pop, but then I am running a brand new gaming PC with a 16GB, 6700K, and GTX970.

I didn't notice and texture pop in the traditional sense, but when players first enter my (I dunno?) "bubble" they would be black and featureless. But after the initial load in they didnt do that even after leaving my bubble and coming back.

edited February 2016
    Kai_San wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

If blade and soul burned you, I can't see what aspect of this game would change anything.

Unless you just value open world above everything else?

I found the combat to be disappointing after expecting it to be...something else than it ended up being, I guess. BDO looks more solid and impactful when I've watched combat, but that is something I'd have to try.
    But exploration is one of the most important things to me in an mmo and while it doesn't have to be open world per se (GW2 is my fav mmo, for example), I need to at least feel like exploring is worthwhile and that there are secrets to find out there, which I 100% did not get from Blade and Soul.
    Plus a lot of these systems (like crafting) and all that seem pretty cool and up my alley.

It's just one of those things I have to try I guess. I fully expected to LOVE Blade and Soul and did not. But I love Tera and Vindictus, which both share a lot of similarities. There's no way I'll figure it out unless I give it a whirl. And I'm super hard up for an mmo to sink my teeth into. I feel like if I don't click with this one, there's not really any others on the horizon anytime soon.

vamen on
    Welp just let us know where folks want to go (server-wise) and I'll go there. :)

I won't go in to the nitty-gritty of comabt in BDO, but I will say this for people who haven't tried it;

While you can button-mash your way to victory the combat really, really rewards you for fighting smart. Exploiting weakness, taking advantage of positional/status damage (knockdown, counter, and backstab), and simply putting yourself in the right spot will vastly change how a fight goes down.

A couple of examples,

Early on there was this large enemy type that would take me like 30 or so seconds to kill. They were a bother. Then I got smart and knocked those sonovabitchs down to the ground and followed that up with attacks that had a bonus to knockdown damage. This took a fight that used to last me 30 seconds and turned it in to a 3 second fight.

Another good example is that some of the enemies I could kill with just my basic attack in, like, a dozen swings. However, if I sprinted at these kinds of enemies and used my basic attack it would kill them in a single swing.

Though it is a double edged sword (in a fantastic way) as you have to play by the same rules. If you let yourself get in to those kinds of situations were the enemy can deal backstab, knockdown, or counter damage then prepare to watch your health bar fucking disintegrate in seconds. Humanoid enemies were the worst for this, IMO, as they would constantly try to surround me when I was fighting them in groups. Some of the other enemies types weren't as smart though (beasts for instance).

Looks like the server options will be the same as CBT2, Edan and Orwen.

Also if we intend to have a guild(of course we will) I'd actually be very happy to design an emblem for us. Game has a similar feature like ArcheAge/Tera where you can upload your own picture to represent the guild.

For a guild name we can always work with our old standbys. Something like;

Merch Trading Company
    Arcadian Merchant League

And while it has nothing to do with PA I am fond of Bargain-bin Mercenaries.

I've always been fond of The Six Mouths.

Axen wrote: »
    I won't go in to the nitty-gritty of comabt in BDO, but I will say this for people who haven't tried it;

While you can button-mash your way to victory the combat really, really rewards you for fighting smart. Exploiting weakness, taking advantage of positional/status damage (knockdown, counter, and backstab), and simply putting yourself in the right spot will vastly change how a fight goes down.

A couple of examples,

Early on there was this large enemy type that would take me like 30 or so seconds to kill. They were a bother. Then I got smart and knocked those sonovabitchs down to the ground and followed that up with attacks that had a bonus to knockdown damage. This took a fight that used to last me 30 seconds and turned it in to a 3 second fight.

Another good example is that some of the enemies I could kill with just my basic attack in, like, a dozen swings. However, if I sprinted at these kinds of enemies and used my basic attack it would kill them in a single swing.

Though it is a double edged sword (in a fantastic way) as you have to play by the same rules. If you let yourself get in to those kinds of situations were the enemy can deal backstab, knockdown, or counter damage then prepare to watch your health bar fucking disintegrate in seconds. Humanoid enemies were the worst for this, IMO, as they would constantly try to surround me when I was fighting them in groups. Some of the other enemies types weren't as smart though (beasts for instance).

That sounds like exactly what I want. Something I really enjoyed from Tera that is if you played smart, you could take down an enemy MUCH more difficult/higher than a regular enemy. It'd take a while but man it was satisfying.
    I think I'm going to take the plunge on the 30$ pack.

edited February 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbSRmoB2pQ

One thing I forgot to mention. There is no traditional stealth in this game. ie: straight up invisibility.

However, you can crouch and even go prone.

Crouching or being prone makes you harder to be detected by enemies.

Also, from what I understand, removes you from the other players' minimaps and your name will not appear above your head. edit- Or your mount's name either!

While crouching you can move faster than crawling and you can still dodge.

Prone you crawl slowly and it takes a second or two for you to stand up, but you'd be really hard to spot visually.

Just to make it clear, every class can do this equally well.

edit the second- For you fighting game chaps, there are moves that have iFrames. Knowing when to use these can really save you from defeat.

Axen on
    Okay so.

It seems like a bunch of big PvP guilds are heading for Edan, if that might affect our decision.

I vote avoid the PVP groups, especially the more rabble rousing ones.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Alright then, Orwen it is!

edited February 2016
    Would anyone like me to get a google spreadsheet together so we can have a list of who's playing? (And when they're playing for the headstarts)

Also, found a nice video of some tips aimed at newer players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft-PNpCNf4k&feature=youtu.be

Arthil on
    Spreadsheet would be nice.

I'm assuming we have to redownload the client at launch? That is, the beta client won't be patched to live?

edited February 2016
    It'll patch to live from what I understand.

I think this should work. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WWmYtkktX50_hgQKVjtoS4WdEsG6WzqjEz9XxZZJteE/edit?usp=sharing

Arthil on
    edited February 2016
    Also @MyDcmbr Could we get that put into the OP :)? I'm sure we can work out some guild info to put in there too. Should also say what server we've gone on too.

If we can settle on a name before Headstart, I can work out an emblem for the guild. I know it's 60x60, not much room but I've got some fun options.

Arthil on
    Arthil wrote: »
    Also @MyDcmbr Could we get that put into the OP :)? I'm sure we can work out some guild info to put in there too. Should also say what server we've gone on too.

If we can settle on a name before Headstart, I can work out an emblem for the guild. I know it's 60x60, not much room but I've got some fun options.

Done!

I always did like We Are Nice Guys for a guild name lol. But Arcadian Merchant League is pretty cool.

Steam
    edited February 2016
    The question is will it fit?

Edit: The answer is no. 10 character max. Looks like we'll want to make a Clan first, as that's free(I think?). We can upgrade to a guild later, costs the same as making one outright which is 100,000 silver. Clan has 15 slots, which should be fine for us at the start.

Arthil on
    10 character limit... Hmmm.

Arcadians

Steam
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    I'm game:

Name: Hornswoggle
    Family Name: Sogekidan
    Class: Wizard of the dankest memes.

MyDcmbr wrote: »
    10 character limit... Hmmm.

Arcadians

PennyLover orPennyGamer
    Six Mouths
    Nice Guys

(not sure if spaces are allowed, can just run them together or use underscore I guess)

I got to thinking about Naruto and how the English translations of the ninja villages' names are usually "Hidden (noun)". So I thought of

HiddenWANG

Of course that probably won't fly (heh).

Also they can't have spaces, either which... yeah the guild/clan name thing is shockingly restrictive.

Looks like you can download the release client/game now. The email I got also said you can just patch CBT2 client.

If I can, I'll probably use Axen as a Family name. Since I plan on having multiple characters it'd be the easiest way for people to keep track.

I think I'll go Warrior.

• CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    Your mother is a warrior.

Ooooooh shots fired! I think....

Axen wrote: »
    Ooooooh shots fired! I think....

Well since only men can be warriors...

Steam
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I'll be playing this tomorrow, too. I haven't thought about a character or family name yet, though. I'm still trying to figure out what class I want to play between Ranger, Sorcerer, and Valkyrie.

Edit: Sorcerer gets a scythe? Decision made!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2016
    Sorceresses won't get a scythe until much later down the road. Like, at least a year out.

Pearl Abyss are adding a second weapon type to each of the classes before they add any more classes.

Current (AFAIK) second weapon type list is:

Warrior- Greatsword
    Sorceress- Scythe
    Beserker- Hand-cannon gauntlet thingy? (punch-gun)
    Valkyrie- Lance
    Ranger- Elemental Sword
    Tamer- Sky Rod (name a WIP apparently, but basically a combat staff)
    Wizard/Witch- still TBD

Not sure if Blader/Plum and Ninja/Kunoichi will get their own either. Possibly not. Although if the Blader/Plum get a naginata I'll be all over it!

Axen on
    Berserker's get to be Mega Man, basically. And yes it looks like the Blader will be getting a naginata, Plum will likely get something different. They seem to want to make the classes different even if they're somewhat mirrors otherwise.

I love me some spear action.

Despite being one of the oldest weapons in human history (next to stone and stick) they are woefully underrepresented in games.

• Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    I'm curious to everyone's preference for controls. I feel like this game is made for a gamepad, but I just can't stop using mouse and keyboard. Has anyone gone from M&K to gamepad? If so, how'd that go?

edited February 2016
    I'm curious to everyone's preference for controls. I feel like this game is made for a gamepad, but I just can't stop using mouse and keyboard. Has anyone gone from M&K to gamepad? If so, how'd that go?

I've yet to try it myself, but word on the street is that it works really well. Though you may have to spend some time rebinding things to the way that works best for you.

edit- The Devs (Pearl Abyss) are adding new regions often enough. I think the game has been out for about two years in Korea and in that time the world size has nearly doubled.

Some of the new regions actually change/add wildly different gameplay too. They're not just more lands to explore.

Take the Black Desert itself (which comes a little later for us). In the desert maps/minimaps are useless. Sandstorms force players to seek shelter or die. You cannot use horses only Elephants and Camels as mounts. You have to seek the warmth of a campfire at night or freeze to death (you can build your own campfire and I think tents). The whole desert is very much like the Sahara. You will almost certainly get lost (at least for awhile).

Mediah will be the first new region added (sooner rather than later). It is a weird mashup of Aussie/Middle Eastern landscapes/styles. Apparently the NPCs will have Aussie accents. :razz: Mediah itself is the buffer between the Kingdom of Calpheon and the Black Desert. With Valencia (the rival nation to Calpheon) being on the other side of the Black Desert.

Valencia Part I, II, and III are the "expansions" that follow Mediah.

Valencia Part I adds the actual Black Desert and all the things I listed above about it.

Valencia Part II adds, well, Valencia and comes with some special PvP rules including one town for Good Guys (positive Karma) and one town for Bad Guys (negative Karma).

Valencia Part III will be heavily focused on maritime activities. Boats and ships are a must. Maritime trading (and by extension pirating) are a thing.

All those "expansions" add new gear, dungeons, crafting items, and just about everything else you'd expect.

Pearl Abyss has talked about adding new classes/races. Which they say they totally will. In fact they are looking at adding the Shai (halfling looking folk), but are unsure how they want to go about it.

They also mentioned that they're unlikely to add a counterpart to any of the existing male/female only classes as it takes nearly as much time/resources to do that as it does to make a brand new class. So they'd rather focus efforts on making stuff that has a play style all it's own.

Axen on