As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2]: NiZn doesnt do it for me anymore, only LiCoO2 gives the fix I need.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So I'm pretty pumped for this to come to ps4 soonish. Is there any guides you all recommend so I can have any clue how the capture mechanics work and strategy on things since it seems way different than my typical fps

It's really not that different under the hood. There's teams that have bases, and capture areas in those bases where you need to hang out for a bit, then once the capture point is yours after a certain amount of time the larger territory becomes yours.

Here's the tutorials from the Planetside 2 site, I haven't actually looked at them though so not exactly sure how useful they are: https://www.planetside2.com/game-tutorials

Fleeb on
  • SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    Can somebody explain why so many tank drivers, both Lightning and MBT, think that they're helping by sitting hundreds of meters out and taking pot-shots at doorways and individual infantry? This morning was just absurd with this phenomenon.

I'm NC, Vanu are getting their siege on at Scarred Mesa. I watch half a dozen Lightnings and a Vanguard sitting at the top of the ridge lobbing shells down toward the Vanu Sunderers, which are in cover. I get in a Lightning, go around the ad-hoc artillery position and tear ass down to the shack where the purple-bros are spawning and go to town with the C75. I kill a Sunderer and about 20 guys before my Lightning goes up. I bailed, threw a grenade and hosed a few more guys down for a 9k exp payday. It was only after that the other tanks sheepishly crawled their way down to clean up. Same thing when we pushed up on Red Ridge Comms. A dozen guys sitting in the road shooting up at the base, not one advancing. I go up in a Vanguard, kill a Lightning and park on the vehicle spawn platform, then just start shooting. I made it to 12.5k exp before an engineer finally got some mines under me.

Both times the Vanu defensive line was broken and it allowed my team to move up. By a single tank deciding to advance instead of playing the artillery game. It's utterly baffling when somebody gets into a tank and then acts like it's made of paper.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, that's what good outfits should be doing: organizing the tank blitzkrieg.

Sadly it feels sometimes like everyone is trying to wait out their pickup's cooldown timer.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    The cooldown timer was removed. The only thing limiting buying a vehicle is your resources.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The new automated Spitfire turrets are currently so terrible they make the turrets from BRINK look amazing.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    heh, they finally put those in eh

maybe I should actually patch this up and check it out again

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited December 2014
    Aw man, they changed how composite armor looks. Now it looks like poop. Poop from a butt.

and yeah those turrets are laughably useless.

Fleeb on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Anyone else get in the ps4 beta?

616610-1.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    RIP Planetside now that Higby is gone.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RIP Daybreak Games, owned by a Russian mafioso

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I'm thinking I should uninstall for now. I still had about 1500 funbucks from Alpha Squad, but if even Higby decided it was better to walk away on his own, I don't see much use with a chunk of the community leaving, plus I haven't had the chance to play with any of you guys in months.

camo_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    following this story a bit, I've found it ironic that this has been the best thing that ever happened to SOE's rep with its players. Never appreciate what you have until it's gone I suppose.

we don't really know what will happen and most of the community teethgnashing is almost certainly overreaction. It's hard to see why a company would buy SOE and immediately lay off all the staff, unless they thought the IPs were still worth exploiting. The PS4 rollout is still happening and I kinda doubt sony would have spun off a division that was at least marginally profitable if they thought it would cause trouble for their console business.

At worst they'll cut down to minimal staff with no new development and they'll just milk the SOE properties for all they can until the players get bored. Which would suck, but it's also not clear how different it'd be from the status quo, at least for PS2.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Smedley posted this on r/Planetside. The general reaction so far is "great, but prove it".

Hello PS2 players both current and hopefully the ones that have played and moved on. I want to lay out our direction moving forward for PS2.

The development team continues to work on many things at once. We have the PS4 version launching very soon here. We've had to spend time getting the codebase to merge, and yes.. that's led to some problems like we all saw with the flight controls.

I realize there are people who think that means it's all about the console versions going forward.

It isn't. We won't let it be that way because we like the PC way too much for that.

In the near term, we're adding more people to the Planetside 2 team (hopefully bringing some people back that were former team members) to help us get our development bandwidth to where we want it to be. However, we have plenty of horsepower to deliver on some amazing things this summer already.

The plan is simple - We are going to be taking Planetside 2 to where it needs to be and finally address the stuff should have already. The metagame. We will once and for all be getting the Meta to where it just has to be. That means a comprehensive change that will involve completely revamping resources, changing what territory control means and spending a lot of time giving you reasons to fight. All of this will be done in a fully transparent manner in which we actually put our internal design docs out there for your comment and feedback.

We will be moving towards a system where resources are actually going to be a fun part of the game, and you'll be able to harvest resources directly (in fact, that's how you're going to get them). and you'll be able to use them to finally get to some of the end-game things we've been wanting to do - Outfit bases on new continents (and potentially on existing ones). We're also going to be spending a lot of time to make sure capturing a facility actually matters, as well as looking at the overly-complicated capture system which can be pretty obtuse at times.

The simple problem with Planetside 2 has always been "Why are we fighting?". We intend to make the focus of the time between now and our 2.0 release in September working very hard on this core issue. We have put it off way too long, and honestly the stuff we've done up until now hasn't been enough and we know it.

The team is also committed to a much more regular update schedule on the PC. We want to be honest about only having a finite amount of resources, but a significant portion of them will be dedicated to the PC and advancing the game itself. We will absolutely be adding more resources to this team to assist in this.

We'll be making announcements about the 2.0 release in the near-term future with a lot more specifics. In addition, we have a nice surprise for you... we're also going to be adding another game mode to Planetside 2 for the first time. You can expect to be seeing that in the upcoming week on Live servers (it will be a beta of the game mode). This will actually be a game mode with a win condition! Hopefully you like it. It's meant to be the kind of thing you pop into for an hour match and then go back into the main game. Hopefully in the short term we can make it so outfits can directly compete against other outfit in this game mode. Also, we aren't charging to get into this mode. The entire reason for it is to try something new and see how we all like it as a community.

Why do this instead of just doing the Meta stuff? Simple - we are experimenting and trying something new. Before you judge, try it. It only took a small subset of the team a few weeks to put together and we hope you like it.
    In the months between now and September we're going to be putting all kinds of new things into the game on a regular schedule. We're also going to be committing to doing a better job on the Roadmap. The criticism that we do a poor job updating it is something that I think is both fair and accurate and it's simply going to be done right.

So for those of you that thought Planetside 2's best days are behind it... you are going to be pleasantly surprised, but the proof has to be in what we do not in what we say.

Planetside 2 is one of our core franchises. It will be here in ten years and assuming we can make the right choices it can be 10x as big as it is right now (on the PC, not even talking about adding console users).

To those who think all we care about is the console - no, no, no. PC is our lead sku and is always going to be. We are very excited to bring PS2 to the Playstation 4. It's really fun. Our console players are every bit as important to us as our PC players, but in terms of how we develop stuff, expect the PC to be the lead sku.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for playing Planetside 2. We're in this for the long haul and we're going to work our asses off to make sure you are too. The only way we do that is to take this game to the next level, so that's just what we're going to do.

Smed

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I am in the not believing til I see it camp. I stopped playing last year because there was just no point to anything. Factions would just avoid each other and take empty control points, or you'd spend hours fighting to control an area just to lose it an hour later because everyone left to go fight somewhere else. I don't see the game ever living up to what they originally planned.

edited May 2015
    It's hard for me to believe there could be some kind of complex metagame in PS2 because there's nothing to fight over. It's not clear to me that having something more substantive than a resource bonus would even be good, since it would exacerbate the population issues the game already has. I guess we'll see though.

I haven't played recently because I eventually decided that their servers' performance was just unacceptable. My ping shouldn't spike up to 10k+ and sit there for minutes on end

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • arakis99arakis99 Registered User regular
    It's hard for me to believe there could be some kind of complex metagame in PS2 because there's nothing to fight over. It's not clear to me that having something more substantive than a resource bonus would even be good, since it would exacerbate the population issues the game already has. I guess we'll see though.

I haven't played recently because I eventually decided that their servers' performance was just unacceptable. My ping shouldn't spike up to 10k+ and sit there for minutes on end

That's a feature. Other games call it bullet time.

edited August 2015
    Man, taking out aircraft with the new anti-materiel rifle for the engineer is really satisfying.

Fleeb on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I reinstalled this last night and I had a lot of fun shooting mans. It's been a long time since I'd last played and I was surprised there's a fourth continent! I couldn't play on it since it was locked down but I hope to do so tonight at some point. I was also simultaneously surprised and disappointed that they added voicepacks for your characters, but the one I want that sounds just like motherfucking Arnold Schwarzenegger is exclusive to the New Conglomerate. Noooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyOT8f6-vw

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    ha hilarious I did enjoy this game but frustrating without a crew to roll with.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I've been playing this the last couple of days. Having to learn everything again is challenging but the new update seems to have brought the population back to some degree. I've been in some great battles similar to the ones from launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2CAQrVMX8

https://www.planetside2.com/news/construction-system-guide-ps2-2016
    In case you missed it, the construction system is now live on PC! The discovery of the powerful new mineral Cortium has given rise to all new objects, tools, and vehicles – so here’s all the intel you’ll need to start building your way to victory!

HOW IT WORKS

ANTs
    Players can summon an Advanced Nanite Transport (ANT) at any vehicle terminal. ANTs are 4-man transports that have mining lasers for harvesting Cortium nodes, which are scattered around the map. The ANT can be deployed at any time, which will reveal access to a building terminal from which you can equip and then place fortifications (at a cost to Cortium).

Placing Construction Objects
    When placing fortifications, you can rotate the object using left or right click. Move the object closer or further from you by holding left and right click at the same time. Raise or lower an object by looking up or down without clicking the mouse. All objects have blue and green “placement points” which help the player determine the right height of an object. Blue points must be beneath the terrain, while green points must be above the terrain. When your object is in position, press “E” to place it.

Silos
    A “Cortium Silo” can store large quantities of Cortium, and also “claims” the land for you and your squad. Claimed land means that players cannot deconstruct any of your fortifications with the “Decon Tool” (also found in the ANT terminal). ANTs can offload Cortium to friendly Silos using the same method as harvesting minerals: just approach the Silo and hold the firing button.

Powered Construction Objects
    Some construction objects require a nearby Silo (with stored Cortium!) to remain active. Modules, for example, are constructs that can improve surrounding fortifications, but go offline if the Silo runs out of Cortium. While a module is near a Silo, Cortium will be drained automatically. The more objects that require power, the faster your Cortium Silo will drain.

HIVEs
    Hardline Interference Volume Emitters or “HIVEs” are structures which can generate Victory Points over time. These structures also require a nearby Silo for power, but only when they are active. A HIVE becomes “active” when your faction has an available core.

Victory Cores
    When a continent unlocks, each faction has a certain amount of cores available. By default, each faction gets 2 cores, with an additional core given to whichever faction unlocked the current continent. Cores are automatically placed in HIVEs closest to an enemy Warp Gate. The closer the HIVE is to an enemy Warp Gate, the faster it will generate Victory Points.

When an active HIVE is destroyed, the faction who destroyed it will recover that core for their faction, and it will then automatically activate the most ideal HIVE, provided another empty HIVE exists.

It’s worth noting that Silos must be restocked with Cortium constantly, as HIVEs, like modules, require an active power source to function. If a Silo runs out of Cortium, an active HIVE will no longer generate Victory Points.

Lastly, Victory Cores will occasionally jump from HIVE to HIVE. Cores gravitate to whichever HIVE is capable of generating the most Victory Points, but will not do so if there are too many enemies in the target region, and cores will also not leave a HIVE currently under attack.

CONSTRUCTION OBJECTS

By default, each player is given access to Rampart Walls, Bunkers, Anti-Infantry Phalanx Turrets, Silos, and Repair Modules as default construction objects, and HIVEs are also unlocked at Battle Rank 15 for free. New types of fortifications may be purchased with Certs or DBC.

All structures are much weaker while being constructed than they are when they’ve been completed, and at the moment, each structure type takes 45 seconds to complete.

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TOOLS AND CONSTRUCTS

Decon Tool
    Can be used to deconstruct misplaced structures.

Rampart Wall
    Long, horizontal wall with high health and firing areas for infantry.

Bunker
    Small, durable fortification with firing areas for infantry and an open area on top.

Sunderer Garage
    Small garage with enough cover to house a single Sunderer.

Cortium Silo
    Small, durable, and provide power to a base. A single Silo can store up to 50,000 Cortium at a time. It also claims the nearby area for you and your squad, which prevents unsquadded allies from deconstructing nearby objects.

HIVE
    Initially a vulnerable “chassis” when unpowered. While housing a Victory Core, the chassis becomes indestructible, and a small shielded area becomes the only point where it can receive damage. Active HIVEs generate Victory Points based on their proximity to the enemy Warp Gate, and require Cortium from a nearby Silo to operate.

Repair Module
    Cortium-powered module which quickly repairs nearby structures. This is an extremely important component of any base.

Structure Shield Module
    Cortium-powered module that creates one-way shields for most of the openings on Bunkers, Rampart Walls, and Sunderer Garages.

Skywall Shield Module
    Cortium-powered module which projects a shield above, protecting from aerial bombardment.

Turret AI Module
    Cortium-powered module which provides nearby deployed turrets with automated tracking abilities, allowing them to fire on enemies who stray too close.

Anti-Infantry Phalanx Turret
    Mannable turret which excels at taking down enemy infantry.

Anti-Vehicle Phalanx Turret
    Mannable turret which excels at destroying enemy vehicles.

Anti-Air Phalanx Turret
    Mannable turret which excels at destroying enemy aircraft.

Ready soldiers? It’s time to put your new construction system training to test on the battlefield!

citizen059 on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've reinstalled to give it a try. The construction system seems like good fun, although it will require coordination

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    whoa..... looks pretty great. i'll reinstall tonight.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I like the new construction options, opens up some nice dynamics. I still have the same problems as I always did before... making sure I am the right class at the right time., though it does look like they tweaked point gain as I always was fucking terrible before but now I seem to get a decent amount of points even if I do suck at the game ::hydra:

I like the shield regen field on medics and the spitfire turrets for engineers.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so @sniperguy and I were playing planetside 2 last night. Theres a bunch of crazy shit in it now like oldschool planetside and its a double xp week or something. We got out a magrider and absolutely wrecked some NC goons, so badly that one put a bounty on my head! (legit costs 25 daybreak cash or 50 certs to do that).

We decided we needed more people though... so who else wants to shoot those dirty nc and pathetic tr?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    VANU FOREVER

Seriously its pretty fun these days.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hah! A reason for me to reminesice about my PS2 days and the propaganda I made!
    IAcrX.jpg

WwrdY.jpg

J5Xqw.jpg

zoSdm.jpg

FHbQ1.jpg

fvaFk.jpg

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I am reminiscing about oldschool planetside now, I miss my flail, and being a fraggle :(

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I made a bunch of Clan Emblems for this game way back when. I still get $50 checks from daybreak every once in a while.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Hey I just started playing this again, somewhat

still runs like butt for me, but it's also still fun

I am pretty sure I have credits and whatnot on my account... not sure I want to fire it back up again, too many games on the go

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hah hah hah ...

Played around in this last night for a bit. Infiltrator with a SMG is still as much fun as I remembered, and people still refusing to get in the damn turret seriously my tank is getting shot up here why are you standing there is still a thing.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Did they ever improve vehicle handling, or does the flash still handle as if it's driving on buttered ice?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So, uh, @rts is pretty good with the Orbital Strike

https://youtu.be/3UAxDDZ99Ug?t=1m29s

Melkster on
  • StargateJewStargateJew SeattleRegistered User regular
    Servers went down for a big update today. Game is now going to be heavily focused on construction bases and mining for alerts.

I think trying to cert out construction stuff is way too expensive. I'm BR 99.

Jumped back in this again as I was feeling the need to shoot mans. Enjoying it, and I dont even get too mad when I get rolled.

I am still super impressed by some of the ESF pilots, they just glide through the terrain and melt faces and disappear behind a mountain as you get target lock on them.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    :D praise vanu.. had a TR prowler chasing me point blank while I was running around as a heavy.. I kept close he couldnt run me over and he lost a Prowler.
    ;D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I’ve been messing around with this again lately too; I like what they’re doing with continental alerts now, even though it’s kinda annoying when you log in and can only play Amerish

Unfortunately I think the maturation of the player base has kinda hurt the fun; really big outdoor battles don’t seem to happen that often, cause more advanced players tend to win them more quickly. And the continental alerts sometimes shut down a nice back and forth

NREqxl5.jpg