As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Plants vs Zombies] Garden Warfare 2 out now! Time for some online plant murder!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Woke up early cause Im an old man now and I wake up suuuuper early... anyway, it was cool because I got some play time in before work. THIS GAME IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FIRST ONE! And the first one was pretty good, so that's saying something. There's tons of reasons why it's so good, but really the only thing you need to know is that Danger Zone plays during the into cinematic.

This is a dream game for me. A shooter with unlocks that has bots (and these bots are really fuckin competent), and playing the bot modes counts just as much as playing against real people. Even Multiplayer quests count when you play bot mode! I didn't play much with the zombie characters, but I did get a sweet Mass Effect themed Imp for pre-ordering. Mostly played as Citron, who I thought I hated. I unlocked Electro-Citron, and his primary weapon is awful. Regular Cirton is way better.

I feel the same way about Rose. Regular version is the light but her variants all have charged shots. I needs to hold me down some button!

I LOVE exploring the backyard too. Lots of people hated it in the beta but I loved that shit. And there's so much to find now, I even found a Treasure Yeti under a garbage can early this morning as I too woke up early because of old man status.

I don't know about competent bots tho. I had a full team of Sunflowers that never raised me once and I've seen some bots just spinning in circle and firing wildly. Of course, that's pretty par for the course with real players too. :D

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    I should be playing thi evening (830-9ish Eastern) gamertag=Maguano71, if anyone is up for shenanigans

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I played three TDM games this morning with bots, and those things prioritized the shiz out of rezzing me. I also lost the third game, and never had any top honors...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I tried a Vanquish game with bots and I thought "I'll make all my party members Scientists so there's no way we can lose".

Within 2 seconds we were 19 kills behind. D:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Well, they certainly haven't skimped on music licensing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7t_zFUDBk

man some of these trailers are hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=717j8W144DU

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I played at 11 till 1:30

I lurve me this game. rose is op

edit: whoops looks like the physical deluxe version of the game comes with a code... for the full digital version of the game. People are using the code and selling the disc.

Wow really? How could they screw that up? I just bought the deluxe version at target. I'm sure they'll patch that somehow, right?

Also I'm sad by the lack of excitement for this game by fellow PAers. I took the day off tomorrow to get some play time in.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Well if someone wants to give me their code I will play :P

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    It's a bizarre thing for a $60 game to launch and there to be virtually no marketing hype behind it. I really haven't seen this thing anywhere other than like...Twitch.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    anoffday wrote: »
    I played at 11 till 1:30

I lurve me this game. rose is op

edit: whoops looks like the physical deluxe version of the game comes with a code... for the full digital version of the game. People are using the code and selling the disc.

Wow really? How could they screw that up? I just bought the deluxe version at target. I'm sure they'll patch that somehow, right?

Also I'm sad by the lack of excitement for this game by fellow PAers. I took the day off tomorrow to get some play time in.

Well, the thread I read it in is full of half explanations, morons and assholes, 50% saying it works 50% saying it doesn't. For all I know it's not true anyway but we'll see.

But they say there's a code on the sleeve that's for the full digital version.
    It's a bizarre thing for a $60 game to launch and there to be virtually no marketing hype behind it. I really haven't seen this thing anywhere other than like...Twitch.

It's been all over youtube for me but then I've been looking for it

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm seeing that the code that is supposed to give you the extra items/coins/etc. is actually giving people the standard digital edition. Still at work so I can't confirm, but I'm thinking I might save the code until they sort this out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm seeing that the code that is supposed to give you the extra items/coins/etc. is actually giving people the standard digital edition. Still at work so I can't confirm, but I'm thinking I might save the code until they sort this out.

They already fixed it, CAG confirmed. LOTS of people acting like they were just robbed.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If I had time to take, I would take off. I just bought the digital deluxe on PC. I MIGHT get a little in tonight. MAYBE some tomorrow before hockey. I plan to play Thursday night.

edit: I'm Redfield85 on Origin/Steam. I might hop on before hockey tonight for a little. Tomorrow (Thursday) I will be on with a friend, so feel free to join. I redeemed stuff this morning and didn't want to go to work. Haha. I feel like there are framerate issues, but I'm not 100% sure.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Good lord I love this game. I'm so happy I don;t have to play with other people anymore!

There was some glitch today on PS4 tho and the daily quests never updated. So we've just been grinding levels in the backyard. My Rose is up to Gold status. I unlocked the Dragon Imp. FOund a TON of hidden goodies in the backyard. It's all just so much gol dang fun.

• Options
    Are you doing that with friends or just on your own? Is the backyard stuff challenging the more you kill/play? STOP HYPING ME.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Are you doing that with friends or just on your own? Is the backyard stuff challenging the more you kill/play? STOP HYPING ME.

I could spend the rest of the game just scooting around the backyard killing stuff and leveling. The longer you kill stuff the more stuff starts to come after you until you have a good 4-5 bosses running around. I just wish they hadn't nerfed the XP and Coins you get from the Raise the Flag game but then I can get quite a bit in Garden/Tombstone Ops now as well. It's not as challenging as regular multi or as profitable but no where near as frustrating either.

And Roses are WAY OP. Like holy cow even I see that.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    God this game really is Roses vs. Zombies. How did this get through playtesting?

What's the general consensus on the most "efficient" card packs I should be buying if I don't particularly care which unlocks I get when?

• Options
    God this game really is Roses vs. Zombies. How did this get through playtesting?

What's the general consensus on the most "efficient" card packs I should be buying if I don't particularly care which unlocks I get when?

Get the 35000 with the pictures of the bosses on it. You get a little of everything. If you want characters fastest, get the 75000.

Keep in mind PopCap had these same prices on GW1 and dropped them after a little while so they may go cheaper.

• Options
    I wound up buying one of the 75k packs. (Had 300k coins because DIGITAL DELUXE AND LOYALTY.)

Got the S.H.R.Imp. So pissed. His mech? It is a giant shrimp. Hahaha.

Played a little in the backyard and then we did one death match where it was like 5 on 3 or something. Are there not many people on PC or was it just bad luck/weird time of day?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Man I LOVE the Shrimp. He's so cool.

• Options

Shit escalates pretty quick when you just start killing enemies. But you can also raise the flag of power (Crazy Dave's undies or pants, I think) and it starts a king of the hill thing where the enemy faction sends wave after wave of mooks to try and take the spot. It can get crazy out there.

A weird complaint im seeing in a lot of the reviews is that it takes so long to level a character up. I promoted Citron last night, and will most likely be able to promote Z-Soldier tonight. I think I have a total of 5 hours of playtime, and I'm about to prestige my second character. Not difficult to level up at all. Especially since the more quests you do, the higher your XP multiplier goes. Also, if you're really impatient, there's a fish in the sewers that will trade XP for Stars. I think 9 stars gets you a full level's worth of XP.

Even the campaign story mode is pretty good(another complaint I see in the reviews). I assume the finale for the zombies will be the same as the plants, but its great!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

A weird complaint im seeing in a lot of the reviews is that it takes so long to level a character up. I promoted Citron last night, and will most likely be able to promote Z-Soldier tonight. I think I have a total of 5 hours of playtime, and I'm about to prestige my second character. Not difficult to level up at all. Especially since the more quests you do, the higher your XP multiplier goes. Also, if you're really impatient, there's a fish in the sewers that will trade XP for Stars. I think 9 stars gets you a full level's worth of XP.

I'm not necessarily agreeing that leveling is too slow, but I can see where they're coming from. I've probably played 2-3 hours so far and I think I have like Imp to level 4, Sunflower to level 3 or 4, and Citron to level 3 or so. Consider that each one can be prestiged what, 4 times? Which you need to do to unlock all the perks I'm assuming? And then also consider there are 100 variants to level, and you can see where it might come off as a bit of a time sink (or just something to work towards, I guess).

Also doing daily quests to get the xp modifier up is great, but I'm not finding them super easy to just plow through. Each daily takes reasonably focused effort for a bit, and you need what, 4 of them to get to the next xp modifier? How long does the xp boost last anyway?

• Options
    I'm not sure the exact numbers on how the multiplier decreases, but I know that in 12 hours (played at 6AM and then not again until almost 7PM) I only lost a couple blips.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Mine XP bonus was up to x2 on Tuesday and it hasn't fallen at all. And just wiping out bosses in the backyard will get you leveled INCREDIBLY fast. My rose is at level 46 right now, I did that all yesterday.

I see it more as a goal than a chore. There's lots of characters I know I'll never play so the time required right now is really good.

Also, that dang raise the flag, while fun, was nerfed so bad it's not worth the time now. You get a LOT more XP just killing things in the backyard and way more coins doing Garden/Graveyard Ops.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Playing vs bots is just as good as playing online, except you don't play against a team of all Roses. Ha. That was fun.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I think you get slightly worse XP per kill, 100 versus 200. It's still better tho.

Spoiler for after the SP quest line:
    We did our first successful run of Infinity Time last night and made it to the Red Zone. Didn't get the best chest but still got some of the Infinity Time accessories. Still no legendary character stickers tho.

And my Rose is officially Diamond level!

I'm liking Super Brainz a lot more than I did in the beta, he's pretty fun. I love the Imp too but the health change to 50 really makes him challenging now, in a good way. Other than that I don't like playing Zombies at all.

more people need to buy this

And my XP bonus STILL hasn't fallen. Haven't lost a single blip yet.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Picking this up tomorrow, can't wait!

PSN name is in sig. Feel free to invite anytime.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Started playing it last night and I love it! However, something unusual happened. When I first started playing, I was on a moon base and only had Citron, and could only do 5 portal mission kind of things. No menu, no options etc. Then went back and played later and it seemed 'normal', started in Backyard and all that. What gives?

• Options
    Started playing it last night and I love it! However, something unusual happened. When I first started playing, I was on a moon base and only had Citron, and could only do 5 portal mission kind of things. No menu, no options etc. Then went back and played later and it seemed 'normal', started in Backyard and all that. What gives?

That was the "pre-loading" area. Your download wasn't done yet.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Neat! What a great idea. Thanks

• Options
    Also, on PC, my game crashed maybe 2 times yesterday trying to buddy up with a friend. I hate that it takes me out of the game and into Origin to invite someone.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    So I tried to do some multiplayer with a friend last night on PSN. It kept sticking us on opposite teams, which meant we couldn't actually communicate for most of the time we were playing together (we had to start a PSN party instead). Given team balance we couldn't just switch teams mid game, in which case we had to back out to the Backyard again before queuing again to get back on the same team.

We had fun overall, but it was a bit of a frustrating experience.

• Options
    Also, daily quests don't actually seem to reset all the time? I don't have any plant quests for today :(

• Options
    So I tried to do some multiplayer with a friend last night on PSN. It kept sticking us on opposite teams, which meant we couldn't actually communicate for most of the time we were playing together (we had to start a PSN party instead). Given team balance we couldn't just switch teams mid game, in which case we had to back out to the Backyard again before queuing again to get back on the same team.

We had fun overall, but it was a bit of a frustrating experience.

We always just do a PSN Party.
    Also, daily quests don't actually seem to reset all the time? I don't have any plant quests for today :(

They reset every OTHER day.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Wait, bot mode? This has a full bot mode that counts for all the stuff usual MP does? No "other humans" needed?

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    Wait, bot mode? This has a full bot mode that counts for all the stuff usual MP does? No "other humans" needed?

Yup! We were earning fine coinage too. At least I thought we were.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options

Excellent! I'll have to try this out then, the vids I just watched of gameplay look fun, and the Not-Mass-Effect mech suit thing would instantly sell me the deluxe if the trial's fun.

I'm generally crap at PVP shooters; if I do decide to go online on console, is it generally pretty mellow (and experiences in #1 are totally fine), or is there a 14 year old attempting to find the part of a plant that you teabag with in every match?

• Options

Excellent! I'll have to try this out then, the vids I just watched of gameplay look fun, and the Not-Mass-Effect mech suit thing would instantly sell me the deluxe if the trial's fun.

I'm generally crap at PVP shooters; if I do decide to go online on console, is it generally pretty mellow (and experiences in #1 are totally fine), or is there a 14 year old attempting to find the part of a plant that you teabag with in every match?

The Grass Effect Mech was a pre-order bonus only. They may release it later as paid DLC but I'm not sure. There's an exact same mech in the game just with a different skin.

• Options

The Grass Effect Mech was a pre-order bonus only. They may release it later as paid DLC but I'm not sure. There's an exact same mech in the game just with a different skin.

Aw, really? Huh, thought the deluxe I bought said it came with. Odd thing, I used the EA Access trial, and I think that accidentally gave me the Deluxe starter coins/packs.

I hate those little midget zombies.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

No, the Mass Effect stuff's part of the deluxe version.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Eh, never mind.

dporowski on