As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread:

Taxes: Can I deduct the cost of new tires during a job-related move?

MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it?Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
I relocated from Northern to southern California last June for a new job. While driving down, I blew a tire and had to have it replaced. Can this be deducted as a moving-related expense?



  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    A quick googling brought me to this FAQ on Turbotax's website.

    I'd suggest looking at the whole thing there, but there is this passage:
    If you drive to the new location in a personal vehicle, you can include the actual cost of oil, gasoline, parking fees and highway tolls. In lieu of using the actual cost of gasoline and oil, the IRS permits you to calculate those costs using the standard mileage rate.
    It doesn't say anything about costs of repairs.

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not a tax person, but I'd think not. Since it's entirely possible the tire would have blown even if you hadn't been moving, if that's the case then it's a cost associated with maintenance of the vehicle rather than with moving.
    The total cost of oil/gas/tolls go up as a direct result of moving for the job, but I don't think they'd count wear to the tires,

    But, like I said, I'm not a tax person.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Nope, you really won't be allowed to deduct expenses related to the tire replacement. Relevant link IRS Pub 521.
    IRS wrote:
    Travel by car. If you use your car to take yourself, members of your household, or your personal effects to your new home, you can figure your expenses by deducting either:
    Your actual expenses, such as the amount you pay for gas and oil for your car, if you keep an accurate record of each expense, or

    The standard mileage rate of 23 cents per mile.

    Whether you use actual expenses or the standard mileage rate to figure your expenses, you can deduct the parking fees and tolls you pay to move. You cannot deduct any part of general repairs, general maintenance, insurance, or depreciation for your car.

Sign In or Register to comment.