As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Games and Technology
SDV_twitch_boxart.png

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Homepage:
http://stardewvalley.net/

After a surprisingly lengthy number of years, someone has finally gotten around to making a good Harvest Moon-like game for the PC.

Features (as taken from the official website):

Turn your overgrown field into a lively farm! Raise animals, grow crops, start an orchard, craft useful machines, and more! You’ll have plenty of space to create the farm of your dreams.

Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling greenhorn to a master farmer, you’ll level up in 5 different areas: farming, mining, combat, fishing, and foraging. As you progress, you’ll learn new cooking and crafting recipes, unlock new areas to explore, and customize your skills by choosing from a variety of professions.

Become part of the local community. With over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, you won’t have a problem finding new friends! Each person has their own daily schedule, birthday, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week and year. As you make friends with them, they will open up to you, ask you for help with their personal troubles, or tell you their secrets! Take part in seasonal festivals such as the luau, haunted maze, and feast of the winter star.

Explore a vast, mysterious cave. As you travel deeper underground, you’ll encounter new and dangerous monsters, powerful weapons, new environments, valuable gemstones, raw materials for crafting and upgrading tools, and mysteries to be uncovered.

Breathe new life into the valley. Since JojaMart opened, the old way of life in Stardew Valley has changed. Much of the town’s infrastructure has fallen into disrepair. Help restore Stardew Valley to it’s former glory by repairing the old community center, or take the alternate route and join forces with Joja Corporation.

Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo, each with unique character progression cutscenes. Once married, your partner will live on the farm with you. Who knows, maybe you’ll have kids and start a family?

Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the local fishing spots. The waters are teeming with seasonal varieties of delicious fish. Craft bait, bobbers, and crab pots to help you in your journey toward catching every fish and becoming a local legend!

Donate artifacts and minerals to the local museum.

Cook delicious meals and craft useful items to help you out. With over 100 cooking and crafting recipes, you’ll have a wide variety of items to create. Some dishes you cook will even give you temporary boosts to skills, running speed, or combat prowess. Craft useful objects like scarecrows, oil makers, furnaces, or even the rare and expensive crystalarium.

Customize the appearance of your character and house. With hundreds of decorative items to choose from, you’ll have no trouble creating the home of your dreams!

Some Screenshots:
Bexy_fullFarm_summer_smallest_half.png
summer3_smal.png
summer2_small.png
StardewValley_8.png
StardewValley_6.png

And a Reddit thread containing helpful tips for the game

Metallikat on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    been waiting for this to get released.

Now to wait for a steam sale, not because the game isn't worth it, but because steam has taught us all time again buying games out side of sales is basically just burning half your money.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I can attest that if you are a fan of Harvest Moon then you need this game in your life.

It is very good.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    I always looked longingly at Harvest Moon games from afar, as I never had any of the consoles that those games were on.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Only real issue I've had with the game so far is that your character's movement speed can be summed up as "a light trundle" Other than that, game good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    been waiting for this to get released.

Now to wait for a steam sale, not because the game isn't worth it, but because steam has taught us all time again buying games out side of sales is basically just burning half your money.

I usually go by that as well, although I'm a big fan of harvest moon games and I was looking forward to this. It was also made over the course of 4 years by only 1 guy, so I feel like he deserves my 15 bucks. It's worth it too. Reminds me of starbound/terraria combined with farming.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Oh shit, this game has combat and monsters?

I was hopelessly addicted to Rune Factory 1-3.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ELLIOT I GOT YOU THIS FUCKING FISH

COME OUT OF YOUR FUCKING HOUSE

I DON'T CARE THAT IT'S RAINING, COME GET YOUR FUCKING FISH

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oh shit, this game has combat and monsters?

I was hopelessly addicted to Rune Factory 1-3.

I haven't gotten far into the game yet, but from what I understand the combat is only a very tiny part of the game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah the game is, like, 90% Harvest Moon, 5% Rune Factory, and 5% Animal Crossing.

And it is a delight.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This game is great. It's very very much like Harvest Moon but the little differences make it a brand new experience. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I like the cold sterile convenience store.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    also

be aware that your game only saves when you sleep

exiting the game mid-day can cause you to lose progress

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    This game is great. It's very very much like Harvest Moon but the little differences make it a brand new experience. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I like the cold sterile convenience store.

Pretty much the only place with no background music too. Just to show how much it's not really a part of the valley.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Protip: Upon loading into the game, hop into the options menu, and check the "Autorun" button at the very top.

Meanwhile, this game is awesome.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    even when autorunning, you're still moving at the previously mentioned "light trundle"

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hooray I beat a bunch of kids at an egg hunt. Welcome to the real world, you little punks.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Hooray I beat a bunch of kids at an egg hunt. Welcome to the real world, you little punks.

Abigail beat me :(

Characters
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    What do you get for winning?

• Options
    What do you get for winning?
    A Straw Hat

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I've played entirely too much of this recently. The biggest problem I have with it is the glacial movement speed you have (without a horse or coffee) and the fact that running diagonally actually slows you down to the point where it's just as quick to run in straight lines. Getting around town takes WAY too long. I once accidentally got myself exhausted in the mines, took over 3 in-game hours to walk home.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    That being said, I love the options you have to progress in the game
    You can either give the bundle offerings to the forest spirits and restore the community centre, or buy a membership at Joja. If you buy a membership, they turn the old community centre into a warehouse and you basically pay them to do town works instead of the offerings, and they slowly take over the town.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I have a feeling I'm going to play this game where I'm a complete asshole and support Joja in a second life. Right now, I'm gathering everything for the forest spirits. I have the smelter done, will have the crafting done by winter, and working on the others slowly... The aquarium will be awful, but I'm getting the hang of fishing.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    That being said, I love the options you have to progress in the game
    You can either give the bundle offerings to the forest spirits and restore the community centre, or buy a membership at Joja. If you buy a membership, they turn the old community centre into a warehouse and you basically pay them to do town works instead of the offerings, and they slowly take over the town.

This is actually a pretty neat difference, thematically.
    If you go with the spirits you need to balance out the various tasks, doing a little of everything, where the goal is the crops and fish and minerals themselves. With Joja, fuck all that shit, all that matters is profit. Get the best crops for the most money you can and focus all-in on that. I like it.

That said, the Joja content sounds super boring to me. There's no rent or mortgage (thank god) so i'm not in any rush. I like having the different goals, so after I water my plants I can go do whatever I want and feel like i'm still progressing.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I have a feeling I'm going to play this game where I'm a complete asshole and support Joja in a second life. Right now, I'm gathering everything for the forest spirits. I have the smelter done, will have the crafting done by winter, and working on the others slowly... The aquarium will be awful, but I'm getting the hang of fishing.

I can't figure fishing out...

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Fishing gets a lot easier as you skill up in it, and the next level rod is worth buying over the initial bamboo one.

What you'll want to do is find a spot in the water where there are bubbles, that will make the fish bite more so you don't spend most of your time waiting. Once you get a bite just kind of feather the button so that the top of the green area stays over the fish. It's just a difficult minigame, and not that well designed I don't think.

Eventually chests will start to show up in the minigame, and you need to hover the green area over it for a few seconds to open it and then catch the fish as well afterwards. It can be tough.

I just passed rank 5 fishing and was able to choose between a perk that has fish sell for some% more that I can't remember at the moment or one that makes crab traps cost fewer resources. I picked the former. If I run into an area of the water that has bubbles early on in the day and spend most of it fishing there I can get about 2-3k gold just from fish that day.

Also I just found a broken trident in a fishing chest. It's a dagger that does 15-24 damage.

Considering it's still Spring and I only just upgraded my first tool to copper that's a bit of a jump over my wooden sword.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    This game is one I've desperately needed for a few years now. I'm one of those people who has never been super crazy about the Harvest Moon games beyond Magical Melody. The added layers of things to do (particularly town building in ANB) has been a turn off. Maybe it's because I start to feel stressed about all the things I 'need' to do, and can't just enjoy myself by doing whatever strikes my fancy that day. I'm really not sure. Harvest Moon 64 has always been the pinnacle of the series in my eyes, and in many ways the various additions over the years have kind of fallen flat for me.

Stardew Valley is a breath of fresh air. There's lots to do without ever feeling like I have too much to do. Not having marriage rivals means I don't feel forced to rush into marrying someone, and can pick away and give people gifts at my own pace (although Heart values do seem to drop over time, which is something to be aware of). Lots of crop variety, plenty of freedom to build and lay out my property as I desire. The writing and townsfolk are all quite charming and I find myself liking most of the characters. So much heart has been jammed into this game, and with the amount of things to do, I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this for years to come.

Just about to finish up the summer in another week or so. Got my silo built, and decided it was time to get myself a chicken. The long term plan is to spend the winter chopping trees, and mining so I'll be able to build an actual barn and start looking at buying some larger livestock. That'll start me on Year 2 with a solid foundation to build on outside of just growing crops, and gathering wild materials. I've been avoiding spoilers, so a lot of time is being spent just experimenting, and trying different things out as I progress at my own pace. What a wonderful game.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Damn it. I'm going to have to get this game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's nice and relaxing. I water my plants, chop a couple trees. Maybe go fishing. Tootle about the village a bit. I am glad they have the character portraits, though, since the townsfolk have that generic Terraria look about them, and would be a bit bland without.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I wish there was an in-game tracker of all the characters' likes and dislikes. A few people have told me what their relatives don't like, someone doesn't like Octopus for example, but I immediately forgot.

I'm probably just going to have to print out a wiki page.

Aistan on
  • Options
    It replicates my Harvest Moon tradition of having a cheat sheet with everyone's likes and dislikes.

• Options
    I did not know there were TV shows other than weather and fortune teller. Apparently there is a Sunday cooking show. Neat.

Characters
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Okay, I hate to ask this, but I loved Harvest Moon but that game did one thing that utterly infuriated me entirely. When playing as a female character, you don't get any kind of truncation of gameplay or similar? In Harvest Moon there was a point where playing as the female PC meant that you basically decided to cut yourself off from an entire chunk of the game, because once you got married (IIRC) that was the end of any farming/gameplay you had (as opposed to male characters).

This game doesn't do any similar nonsense right, because I'm quite interested in this game but don't want any surprise like that again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Okay, I hate to ask this, but I loved Harvest Moon but that game did one thing that utterly infuriated me entirely. When playing as a female character, you don't get any kind of truncation of gameplay or similar? In Harvest Moon there was a point where playing as the female PC meant that you basically decided to cut yourself off from an entire chunk of the game, because once you got married (IIRC) that was the end of any farming/gameplay you had (as opposed to male characters).

This game doesn't do any similar nonsense right, because I'm quite interested in this game but don't want any surprise like that again.

Spousal gameplay is the same as both genders (with the caveat that you adopt as a same-sex couple)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

Spousal gameplay is the same as both genders (with the caveat that you adopt as a same-sex couple)

You just sold this game to me then.

Because I never played another Harvest Moon after that bullshit they pulled off, but I've always wanted get back into a similar game.

• Options
    I don't think Harvest Moon locks you out content anymore. It was only the third gameboy game and possibly the girl version of Back to Nature that ended the game after marriage.

• Options
    I NEVER SAID THE SPOUSAL GAMEPLAY WAS GOOD, YOU'VE FALLEN INTO MY TRAP!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    A grand total of one Harvest Moon game did that. Maybe two, with the second being the game ended at marriage for both genders? I don't really know the specific details.

Either way that was a decade ago. No game since, spinoff or otherwise has done it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't care about the spousal gameplay, it was just the infuriating "Hey you're a woman, guess what, this was the end of the game!" that pissed me off. I just wanted to check this game didn't do that before I got all excited and invested.
    A grand total of one Harvest Moon game did that. Maybe two, with the second being the game ended at marriage for both genders? I don't really know the specific details.

Either way that was a decade ago. No game since, spinoff or otherwise has done it.

That mostly just tells you how long it has been since I last owned a nintendo console. :P

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I did not know there were TV shows other than weather and fortune teller. Apparently there is a Sunday cooking show. Neat.

Yep. I watched it the other day and learned a stir fry recipe. I thought that was pretty cool.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm bad at this. I can't find the last two people to talk to. I'm sure I just haven't explored some house somewhere.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Does anyone know the logic behind objects spawning overnight? I've lost 4 or 5 crop this summer due to being crushed beneath a newly spawned log.