As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

1646566676870»

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    At what point in legal territory does stupidity cross the threshold into mental illness??

I'm asking this sincerely. mmmmm "So It Goes"

need to check federal law definitions of guilty except for insane type defenses

also when defendants are or are not able to aid and assist (I'd say all these guys can probably)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't believe absent actual like mental disability it factors in. And Texas has executed people who were not of normal intelligence, though its texas so grain of salt.

That you're willingly dumber than dog shit doesn't mean you can say you are crazy. Otherwise anyone who watches Big Bang Theory would be un-prosecutable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    There is a mental illness gap in law

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

What does that mean?

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

What does that mean?

Insanity is only a subset of mental illness, so if you're sane and aware of your surroundings, that's pretty much it. But mental illness, and the need to address it for whatever outcome you want for the person on trial, is much more than that and is pretty unexplored.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Legally you have to shows that you're incapable of knowing right from wrong.

There have been legitimate paranoid schizophrenic people who have been convicted because they tried to cover up their crimes after. So even though they committed their crimes due to being crazy, they also knew their actions were wrong outer they wouldn't have covered it up.

• Options

There have been legitimate paranoid schizophrenic people who have been convicted because they tried to cover up their crimes after. So even though they committed their crimes due to being crazy, they also knew their actions were wrong outer they wouldn't have covered it up.

The bottom line is that mental illness != crazy, crazy is only a small part of the spectrum.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Geez, being a militia nutbag must be exhausting what with everybody trying to kill you being irrationally terrified of everybody all the time

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

The bottom line is that mental illness != crazy, crazy is only a small part of the spectrum.

I agree we do a bad job with mental illness in America, especially in the justice system, but much like sex offenders, trying to change any of our criminal law for the benefit of the accused is damn near impossible. I mean look at marijuana drug law, the least scary of least scary offenders and look how much push back there is on that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Geez, being a militia nutbag must be exhausting what with everybody trying to kill you being irrationally terrified of everybody all the time

Sometimes people really are coming to get you Johnny... Mostly because you keep threatening others and owning illegal firearms, but you know they are still out to get you!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I agree we do a bad job with mental illness in America, especially in the justice system, but much like sex offenders, trying to change any of our criminal law for the benefit of the accused is damn near impossible. I mean look at marijuana drug law, the least scary of least scary offenders and look how much push back there is on that.

It's like how clips/magazines drives gun nuts crazy, even if you don't do anything, realizing that a person can be mentally ill but currently have no recourse in law helps us all speak the same language without having to do anything

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is the clips/mags the same difference as boat/ship? Because I know the difference but it's pretty irrelevant.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Is the clips/mags the same difference as boat/ship? Because I know the difference but it's pretty irrelevant.

Wait what's the difference between a boat and a ship?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Whether or not the two characters are really right for each other or not.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    You can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat.

You can put a clip in a mag, but you can't put mag in a clip

You can put insanity in mental illness, but you can't put mental illness in insanity

Paladin on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

What does that mean?

Insanity is only a subset of mental illness, so if you're sane and aware of your surroundings, that's pretty much it. But mental illness, and the need to address it for whatever outcome you want for the person on trial, is much more than that and is pretty unexplored.

Legal insanity doesn't have to do with mental illness. You can be found guilty but mentally ill, and "not guilty by reason of insanity" doesn't require the person to be found to be mentally ill.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Boats lean into a turn, ships lean out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A boat is a small vessel for travelling over water, and a ship is a white fluffy animal that goes "baa"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

What does that mean?

Legal insanity doesn't have to do with mental illness. You can be found guilty but mentally ill, and "not guilty by reason of insanity" doesn't require the person to be found to be mentally ill.

That's true

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

One's a target :cool:

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Fish in the water, high speed screws!"

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Having been in the navy I can definitely answer the whole boat/ship debate.

I did two forward deployments to the Persian Gulf on the U.S.S. Independence (CV-62). It was a non-nuclear Forrestal-class carrier stationed in Yokosuka, Japan and had a total displacement of of 81,000 tons.

It was a boat.

It was called a boat, and to me will always be a boat. I hated that boat with every fiber of my being, but seeing pictures of it decommissioned and rusting an a naval boneyard makes me sad. It was an nosy, ugly, massive boat with terrible people and good people, and I miss it. The difference between a boat and a ship isn't if one can carry the other, or what it's made out of, or which way it turns. It's how you feel, and that dumb boat holds memories of the of the most amazing times of my life.

Sorry for the digression, just thought I would help with the definition of the word :)

halkun on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Nah, Quid was right. You were on a target. :P

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Is this a submarine joke?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    On the surface? No.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    On the surface? No.

Keep this up and we'll give you das boot.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    On the surface? No.

Keep this up and we'll give you das boot.

No, we just ship 'em outta here.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Can we just stop the naval gazing, please?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That would be a bridge too far.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Should probably just scuttle the whole trian of thought. Bearing this is gettin tougher and tougher.

• Options
    Torpedo.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    God, shut up.

This discussion has been closed.