As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WITNESS MAD MAX FURY ROAD WINNING ALL THE [OSCARS]

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Dustin Lance Black is the openly gay Oscar-winning writer of Milk

Sam Smith based his entire self-congratulatory speech on an Ian McKellen misquote and did no followup research to see if it was even accurate

6F32U1X.png
  • littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    I think this is another year where people will be talking about the runner-ups decades after they have forgotten the winner.

No one remembers the movie Citizen Kane lost to. And I'm pretty sure no one will remember Spotlight. Which is a shame, because it's not a bad movie. At least it'll be remembered more fondly than Crash.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Sam Smith based his entire self-congratulatory speech on an Ian McKellen misquote and did no followup research to see if it was even accurate

He did even say he wasn't sure.

seems like you might wanna double check if you're making history or not

maybe be on the safe side

6F32U1X.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I feel like Mad Max won the awards it deserved to win.
    I think it deserved Director, that thing was an absolutely insane feat of direction.

This is why I don't get Miller not winning. Fury Road was a crowning feat of direction that went through all of the trials and tribulations of the shoot for The Revenant, except not self-inflicted for auteur-bullshit reasons. Fury Road was a chaotic shoot with every chance for failure that was directed and edited carefully into a movie that put an entire genre on notice, and it was masterminded by a 70 year-old.

How the shit is that not Best Director material?

Yeah, I'm considering that the great robbery of this year's Oscars along with Roger Deakins not winning Cinematography.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    littlewren wrote: »
    I think this is another year where people will be talking about the runner-ups decades after they have forgotten the winner.

No one remembers the movie Citizen Kane lost to. And I'm pretty sure no one will remember Spotlight. Which is a shame, because it's not a bad movie. At least it'll be remembered more fondly than Crash.

Yeah, Spotlight will be forgotten in time, but it won't be hated. It's too good to be hated

I feel like Room and Mad Max and Sicario and even Revenant will be remembered longer

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I think it deserved Director, that thing was an absolutely insane feat of direction.

This is why I don't get Miller not winning. Fury Road was a crowning feat of direction that went through all of the trials and tribulations of the shoot for The Revenant, except not self-inflicted for auteur-bullshit reasons. Fury Road was a chaotic shoot with every chance for failure that was directed and edited carefully into a movie that put an entire genre on notice, and it was masterminded by a 70 year-old.

Yeah, I'm considering that the great robbery of this year's Oscars along with Roger Deakins not winning Cinematography.

There are certain genres that the Academy Awards will not take seriously until a lot of the voting members die. There's a large contingent still who feel that science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc. are not real films.

There are certain genres that the Academy Awards will not take seriously until a lot of the voting members die. There's a large contingent still who feel that science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc. are not real films.

Which is why them changing their membership rules is a good thing

Now you have to have done something in the last 10 years to be eligible

No more lighting directors that haven't worked since the 80s deciding what gets to be Best Picture

6F32U1X.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

That tweet just seems childish.

That tweet just seems childish.

The tweet may be childish, but his outrage is justifiable. At least three people (purely based on cursory googling) who are gay have won Oscars, and Smith unwittingly dismissed their accomplishments. If you're nominated, you have plenty of time to write and fact check your speech.

Also, this is only tangentially related, Smith told NPR a while back he wrote that song in less than thirty minutes with Jimmy Napes. Which explains a lot.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What does that explain

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    There are plenty of artists that have "we wrote this song in [short amount of time]" stories.

Why it sounds just like every other Sam Smith song. He's an amazing vocalist, but his songs are so similar as to be nearly indistinguishable. I don't feel like this song broke any molds, challenged him to push any limits, or did anything that hasn't already been done.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    for reasons I won't get into I happen to have first-hand knowledge that Dustin Lance Black is a jerk

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I agree that he fucked up. But calling out him texting your boyfriend is high school drama and it detracts from the point he may have been trying to make.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    for reasons I won't get into I happen to have first-hand knowledge that Dustin Lance Black is a jerk

did you tweet his fiancé

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    YaYa wrote: »

Are you in possession of the tweet at the top of this page?

amendment: I had this knowledge before that tweet

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I feel like that tweet is justified

sam smith fucked up real bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I agree that he fucked up. But calling out him texting your boyfriend is high school drama and it detracts from the point he may have been trying to make.

I agree on that point completely. And he ultimately did the same thing Smith did by essentially focusing on himself as some kind of "Only Gay Oscar Winner" like Elton John and Howard Ashman didn't win more than a decade before him.

I guess I'm just bitter because I don't think "Writing's on the Wall" was the best song to win.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Not knowing about LGBT history before the era you got big, and not knowing someone's engaged

I'm starting to wonder if Sam Smith is just an asshole or just really really bad at researching anything

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Not knowing about LGBT history before the era you got big, and not knowing someone's engaged

I'm starting to wonder if Sam Smith is just an asshole or just really really bad at researching anything

Why not both?

[IMG][/img]
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Why not both?

Plausible, considering he apparently forgot to research what a *good* Bond song sounds like.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Why not both?
    After reporters told Smith that even his claim for 2nd place wasn't correct, citing openly gay songwriter Howard Ashman's wins in 1989 and 1991 for Best Original Song, Smith quipped 'I should know him. We should date.'

Ashman died in 1991 from complications from AIDS. The Disney animated movie "Beauty and the Beast" was dedicated to his memory.

holy shit

wow.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah Smith really should have done a little more research than just mostly remembering an article from a january

Although looking at the bits of his speech the various articles are quoting it doesn't seem super terrible? Like anyone who only half researched something he included a caveat in case his single source was wrong, and it doesn't look like he really made any self-aggrandizing claims (though I can't seem to find a full transcript)

edit wow he clearly has no concept of things having happened before he was born and successful

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Why not both?
    After reporters told Smith that even his claim for 2nd place wasn't correct, citing openly gay songwriter Howard Ashman's wins in 1989 and 1991 for Best Original Song, Smith quipped 'I should know him. We should date.'

Ashman died in 1991 from complications from AIDS. The Disney animated movie "Beauty and the Beast" was dedicated to his memory.

holy shit

This is almost cartoonishly awful and it's also hilarious

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Giving an Oscar to Sam Smith is one of those things that western culture isn't going to be able to take back. It's a sign of the end.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Are we sure that sam smith is not unstuck in time and living in three decades at once

PNk1Ml4.png
    I'd like to point out that once again I was ahead of the curve and thought Sam Smith was a dipshit before it was cool.

Sam Smith continues the trend of me only getting angry at the best song category, at least

I didn't know who Sam Smith was until the Spectre announcement

It's still the only song of his I've heard

So he's batting a thousand for me at the moment

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

I read it as like "come on, you regularly text my fiance, and you never knew that his fiance was an oscar winner?"

Kiss at the End of the Rainbow was fucking ROBBED

The best song category was bullshit when Wiz Khalifa didn't get nominated

At least Glory won last year.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I read it as like "come on, you regularly text my fiance, and you never knew that his fiance was an oscar winner?"

Of course, then he really should be texting the fiance* more in order to find out such information. He's not gonna learn that stuff by not texting him!

*Well-known British diver Tom Daley.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The best song category was bullshit when Wiz Khalifa didn't get nominated

snubbing him was a political hit for letting cena spit with him

Wow, the boyfriend is Tom Daley? That's a hell of a piece of cock.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I had to Google him earlier

And one of the first things that came up was a gif of him adjusting his speedo

I uh, don't think I can post it here